• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
I have been told that Billy Pollard is captain and Tasman Smith vice-captain for tonight's game; can anyone confirm if this is true? Also is anyone going to be able to provide updates as the excitement unfolds? I have my good mate's son's bah mitzvah on tonight. Regardless I'll be checking my phone for updates;)

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
To ease the complaints regarding Aloys having no one in CAS 1's, Miles Amatesaro has been injured and replaced by Angus Partington of Aloys for the fixture this afternoon. Disappointing for Amatesaro, but he is in year 11 and will be a destroyer next year. Congrats to Partington on earning the call up.

Partington and Allen should have been there already, they were the best forwards in the game on Saturday, I didn’t even see the Waverley second rower do anything?

Interesting that it’s a group of Waverley coaches and Waverley still manages to get players in the firsts as well? Seems a bit biased with their selections despite the fact Waverley are sitting last on the table?

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Partington and Allen should have been there already, they were the best forwards in the game on Saturday, I didn’t even see the Waverley second rower do anything?

Interesting that it’s a group of Waverley coaches and Waverley still manages to get players in the firsts as well? Seems a bit biased with their selections despite the fact Waverley are sitting last on the table?

I was happy to see Aloys win but now that you're going to keep going on like this, I'd love to see Joeys play Aloys and rub 70 against them, after Waverley only lost by 2. Then you might learn a bit of humility.

Why can't you just be happy with the victory and say it was a good day out for the Aloys boys, hopefully they can continue this form later. Keep in mind you lost to Trinity a week ago.

I was just pointing out that Aloys do have a selection in 1's and you have to have a tantrum and say both boys should be there and then whinge about the coaches. Either don't post again because you're not constructive, or grow up a little and converse with the other men on this forum about your opinion.

Microwave

Bob McCowan (2)
I was happy to see Aloys win but now that you're going to keep going on like this, I'd love to see Joeys play Aloys and rub 70 against them, after Waverley only lost by 2. Then you might learn a bit of humility.

Why can't you just be happy with the victory and say it was a good day out for the Aloys boys, hopefully they can continue this form later. Keep in mind you lost to Trinity a week ago.

I was just pointing out that Aloys do have a selection in 1's and you have to have a tantrum and say both boys should be there and then whinge about the coaches. Either don't post again because you're not constructive, or grow up a little and converse with the other men on this forum about your opinion.

Gonna go out on a whim and say that Aloys_win is not an Aloys boy as no one in their right mind would be so publically arrogant.

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
Arrogance is expecting our players to be selected based on impressive performances?

Seems a strange concept to call performance related selection expectations arrogant?

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)

Preach running.

The forums are an amazing tool, a great way to ask questions, have a discussion and enjoy our game...
However...posts like those shouldn't be tolerated on G&G and I commend you for speaking out running. It's all well to support your team but when it then becomes used as a means to attack others, then it is time to step back and think before you do.
As I'm aware...these are most likely school boys jumping on to take the piss.

Boys...we don't have a problem with you, as long as what you have to say is worthwhile and not totally biased.

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Schooey Schooey MoiMoi

Bob McCowan (2)
Any predictions regarding the ladder come the end of the season?

=1. Cranbrook/Barker
3. Knox
4. Aloys
5. Waverley
6. Trinity
I've made some big calls here so I'll try my best to justify:

Cranbrook: Despite a loss first round, their win against Knox just proves they can beat anyone. Now while we know you don't always play perfectly every game, the boys from Brook can clearly put up a fight against any team. Similarly, being second on the ladder and having already versed the 2 big powerhouses of this season, they are in a good position.
Key Players for me: T.Smith (9) H.Hayman (1) O.Carroll (6) J.Taylor (13)

Barker: Now for Barker, boy have they had a good start. With 2 wins, they seem to be in good stead. However, they still are yet to verse Knox and Waverley, and to be honest, we've seen what Aloys can do. Will they do it again? I still do back Barker to be up the top with Cranbrook by the end of the season. To add to that, if this whole microphone/earpiece saga does prove to be true, will we see a rematch and CAS round 6 to decide the premiership. Now wouldn't that make the season even better!!!
Key Players for me: B.Pollard (2) J.Cameron (6) K.Galloway (14) L.Vass (15)

Knox: There's not too much to say about Knox apart from the fact they are a great side. Beating Waverley round 1 was huge for Knox and got them going early. Despite a loss to Cranbrook in round 2, they still proved to have the skill, strength, speed and overall ability to take the comp on. I think their main matchup will come round 5 against Barker. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I think this game could have significant influence in the final ladder.
Key Players for me: E.Grobler (2) D.Breden (7) S.Rechner (13)

Aloys: Just when we though the season was interesting enough, in came the Aloys boys!!! I think the Aloys boys have been seriously underestimated. After putting up a strong fight against Cranbrook in trial #5 and then taking down Waverley during the CAS season, I think its safe to say these weren't flukes but a strong team playing some good footy. I didn't see the game against Trinity so I don't have much to say there, maybe someone can add? However, despite Waverley having a better side on paper, Aloys weren't gonna go back over the bridge with another loss.
Key Players for me: A.Partington (5) S.Spalding (12) C.Weber (15)

Waverley: Now this will stir some controversy. For myself, after the start they've had, I don't see WC making it near the top of the ladder. They put up a good fight against Knox but went down and I just didn't see a premiership team in the game v Aloys. There is no doubt WavCol have some of the strongest players in the comp (represented in CAS selections), but I just don't see a huge turn around coming in the seasons second half. Round 3 - I back the boys from Bellevue Hill. Round 4 - I'm with Barker Round 5 - I think Waves will get up v Trinity.
Key Players for me: A.Rice (4) R.Volkman (12) M.D'Agostino (15)

Trinity: I've always liked Trinity, but I just don't see them going very far this season. Despite a win round 1 against Aloys I think thats about all they'll get. With Knox and Waverley still to come, I really don't see much happening there. From past seasons, if they were to get a win I'd say it would be over Brook, but then again Cranbrook are proving to just be too strong this season.
Key Players: S.Vuki (10) M.Hawkes (1) O.Buchanan (4)

Overall, I think this is one of the best seasons we are going to see in a long time. With a fair few strong teams and other teams ready to cause some upsets, I see a joint premiership for sure. The best thing is its not about how good your team looks on paper, but how much desire there is in the team. Take Waverley v Aloys. Everyone was talking down on Aloys and how they feel bad for them. I'll be honest, I went to the game not expecting much and boy did they prove everyone wrong. Goes to show, if your believe in yourself, you'll get the win. That's schoolboy footy, is it not?

SSMM

ScottGreen17

Frank Row (1)
Arrogance is expecting our players to be selected based on impressive performances?

Seems a strange concept to call performance related selection expectations arrogant?
As an actual Aloys student, if we somehow find out that Aloys_Win is another student at this school, it would be very disappointing to say the least, as they are painting the school in a very bad manner.

We don't want one attention seekers post to define what the rest of the competition thinks of our school. Yes we are happy with how we played on the weekend, but we know the next 3 games are gonna be especially challenging.

SG

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
=1. Cranbrook/Barker
3. Knox
4. Aloys
5. Waverley
6. Trinity
I've made some big calls here so I'll try my best to justify:

Cranbrook: Despite a loss first round, their win against Knox just proves they can beat anyone. Now while we know you don't always play perfectly every game, the boys from Brook can clearly put up a fight against any team. Similarly, being second on the ladder and having already versed the 2 big powerhouses of this season, they are in a good position.
Key Players for me: T.Smith (9) H.Hayman (1) O.Carroll (6) J.Taylor (13)

Barker: Now for Barker, boy have they had a good start. With 2 wins, they seem to be in good stead. However, they still are yet to verse Knox and Waverley, and to be honest, we've seen what Aloys can do. Will they do it again? I still do back Barker to be up the top with Cranbrook by the end of the season. To add to that, if this whole microphone/earpiece saga does prove to be true, will we see a rematch and CAS round 6 to decide the premiership. Now wouldn't that make the season even better!!!
Key Players for me: B.Pollard (2) J.Cameron (6) K.Galloway (14) L.Vass (15)

Knox: There's not too much to say about Knox apart from the fact they are a great side. Beating Waverley round 1 was huge for Knox and got them going early. Despite a loss to Cranbrook in round 2, they still proved to have the skill, strength, speed and overall ability to take the comp on. I think their main matchup will come round 5 against Barker. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I think this game could have significant influence in the final ladder.
Key Players for me: E.Grobler (2) D.Breden (7) S.Rechner (13)

Aloys: Just when we though the season was interesting enough, in came the Aloys boys!!! I think the Aloys boys have been seriously underestimated. After putting up a strong fight against Cranbrook in trial #5 and then taking down Waverley during the CAS season, I think its safe to say these weren't flukes but a strong team playing some good footy. I didn't see the game against Trinity so I don't have much to say there, maybe someone can add? However, despite Waverley having a better side on paper, Aloys weren't gonna go back over the bridge with another loss.
Key Players for me: A.Partington (5) S.Spalding (12) C.Weber (15)

Waverley: Now this will stir some controversy. For myself, after the start they've had, I don't see WC making it near the top of the ladder. They put up a good fight against Knox but went down and I just didn't see a premiership team in the game v Aloys. There is no doubt WavCol have some of the strongest players in the comp (represented in CAS selections), but I just don't see a huge turn around coming in the seasons second half. Round 3 - I back the boys from Bellevue Hill. Round 4 - I'm with Barker Round 5 - I think Waves will get up v Trinity.
Key Players for me: A.Rice (4) R.Volkman (12) M.D'Agostino (15)

Trinity: I've always liked Trinity, but I just don't see them going very far this season. Despite a win round 1 against Aloys I think thats about all they'll get. With Knox and Waverley still to come, I really don't see much happening there. From past seasons, if they were to get a win I'd say it would be over Brook, but then again Cranbrook are proving to just be too strong this season.
Key Players: S.Vuki (10) M.Hawkes (1) O.Buchanan (4)

Overall, I think this is one of the best seasons we are going to see in a long time. With a fair few strong teams and other teams ready to cause some upsets, I see a joint premiership for sure. The best thing is its not about how good your team looks on paper, but how much desire there is in the team. Take Waverley v Aloys. Everyone was talking down on Aloys and how they feel bad for them. I'll be honest, I went to the game not expecting much and boy did they prove everyone wrong. Goes to show, if your believe in yourself, you'll get the win. That's schoolboy footy, is it not?

SSMM

More posts like this
Recently there has been an influx of 'shitposters', if we can just have everyone here follow the example of SSMM, then we'd have heaven on earth.

Wow what a summary. Not sure who you back mate but an extremely intelligent comment, backed up by a clear knowledge of the game and a genuine passion for the CAS comp. Not a biased post either with factual arguments.

Loved the way that you went into depth regarding each team, also very relevant to summarise considering we begin the 'intermission' to the comp.

G&G please take notes.

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Microwave

Bob McCowan (2)
My prediction for total points scored by the CAS 1 xv team this evening,
To begin with the home field advantage for knox will result in an average of 1 points per half per player in the team. This means with 6 players (Will Kablau, Ollie Hughes, Dan Breden, Tom Gratwicke and Sam Rechner) this results in a total of 12 points.

The long journey from the eastern suburbs for the 2 waverly boys (Ronald Volkman and Max D'Agostino), plus the overcast weather, i believe will result in no points scored by the duo.
I believe the 1 Aloysius player (Angus Partington) will be solid in defence, indirectly result in 3 points being attributed to him.
The trinity representative (Sione Vuki) due to him wearing moulded studs his step will become ineffective on the soft pitch in overcast weather, I therefore believe no point will be scored by him.
The barker representatives will be effective is the front row and the wings resulting in 10 points being attributed to them.
3 points from Cranbrook as Tas Smith will be dominant

In summary
PT(Point Total)=1x6x2(Knox)+0(Waves)+3(Aloys)+0(Trinity)+3(Cranbrook)+10(Barker)
=28

anotherfatprop

Bob McCowan (2)
To begin with the home field advantage for knox will result in an average of 1 points per half per player in the team. This means with 6 players (Will Kablau, Ollie Hughes, Dan Breden, Tom Gratwicke and Sam Rechner) this results in a total of 12 points.

The long journey from the eastern suburbs for the 2 waverly boys (Ronald Vulkman and Max D'Agostino), plus the overcast weather, i believe will result in no points scored by the duo.
I believe the 1 Aloysius player (Angus Partington) will be solid in defence, indirectly result in 3 points being attributed to him.
The trinity representative (Sione Vuki) due to him wearing moulded studs his step will become ineffective on the soft pitch in overcast weather, I therefore believe no point will be scored by him.
The barker representatives will be effective is the front row and the wings resulting in 10 points being attributed to them.
0 points from Cranbrook

In summary
PT(Point Total)=1x6x2(Knox)+0(Waves)+3(Aloys)+0(Trinity)+0(Cranbrook)+10(Barker)
=25

Great analysis Microwave. Wow, what invaluable knowledge you have. Any Preview For GPS tonight too? P.s. Can't make the game tonight as my over 35 touch team (The Chargers) have our semi-finals in Putney tonight 5:45 pm if you're interested). Can you please keep me updated via this page.

BigBoppa123

Frank Row (1)

The long journey from the eastern suburbs for the 2 waverly boys (Ronald Volkman and Max D'Agostino), plus the overcast weather, i believe will result in no points scored by the duo.
3 points from Cranbrook as Tas Smith will be dominant

In summary
PT(Point Total)=1x6x2(Knox)+0(Waves)+3(Aloys)+0(Trinity)+3(Cranbrook)+10(Barker)
=28

Disagree with this mathematical speculation microwave. How can each player be given 1 point if you can't score 1 point in rugby?? Will Angus Partington be doing the kicking to get the 3 points? The Forestville ferret local does have a big boot on him but i assume Sione Vuki or Volkman will do the kicking. But i digress, the game will be a marvel of hard, running rugby and the team that comes up victorious will be deserving!

anotherfatprop

Bob McCowan (2)
Disagree with this mathematical speculation microwave. How can each player be given 1 point if you can't score 1 point in rugby?? Will Angus Partington be doing the kicking to get the 3 points? The Forestville ferret local does have a big boot on him but I assume Sione Vuki or Volkman will do the kicking. But I digress, the game will be a marvel of hard, running rugby and the team that comes up victorious will be deserving!

I believe Brother's Sam and Max Rechner have been kicking in their backyard since they were little whippersnappers. Despite a work hard play hard attitude, Sam continues to take leaps and bounds in his rugby development. What a showcase tonight will be. Can't wait for P Parkers non-bias in-depth analysis following tonight's affairs! p.s. Vuki dangerous out of his own 22, 6 linebreaks from inside his own 22 against St Aloysius. Did somebody say, danger man?!

anotherfatprop

Bob McCowan (2)
In relation to Angus Partington. Had the pleasure of meeting his older brother Tom (former CAS 2's 2017) at Beauchamp oval post a marvelous win for the Gordon colts over the Manly Marlins. He opened my eyes with one story he tells in particular. "When Gus was a wee lad at the age of 9, learning how to tackle, he broke the tackle bag. His dad then started to throw small pebbles at his head as he threw himself from wall to wall building those all too familiar robust shoulders (I'm sure the St Pats fullback can attest). Rumour has it, those small pebbles have turned into large rocks collected from Barker's beautiful surface last year. I feel sorry for anyone running between the 20-30 channel tonight as Gus loves that channel. AFP.

Beauden Barret

Frank Row (1)
Thought I'd give my input from a New Zealander perspective. After moving to Australia 3years ago I've become intrigued by the CAS schoolboy competition as I've had a nephew in the comp. It's a shame because these schools, including Waverley would be killed by the likes of Kings (in Auckland) and Auckland grammar school etc. In the future I want to see the growth of Australian schoolboy rugby and all players staying in union to give the mighty All Blacks a run for their money. I reckon a competition between the CAS schoolboy sides and the Kiwi ones would be interesting and would really boost the culture in Australia for schoolboy rugby. Can someone give me their insight on this. Looking forward to tonight!