• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes, hoping for an injury free day in which both schools test out their team combinations and each other.

Knox tends to have one early season advantage over their GPS rivals in that they don’t have any players tied up in “Head of the River” duties or similar.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, hoping for an injury free day in which both schools test out their team combinations and each other.

Knox tends to have one early season advantage over their GPS rivals in that they don’t have any players tied up in “Head of the River” duties or similar.

When the schools played back in 2017 (which I understand was the first meeting for some time) it was a great day of rugby from 13s to 1sts. I'm sorry that there wasn't a fixture last year and look forward to the day.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I do like this new Waverley headmaster

Gather he is a grammar boy of the 80s

Sgs in my estimation was solid in the 80s

I loved his recent story (at an academic assembly)of Michael Jordan and his many failing on the road to stardom

... forward failing... I believe he called it

And hard work and self belief overcomes failings

I think I have heard it (the Jordan story) before ... however it is a good story , for young minds

Just like to see Waverley continue to raise their aspirations

As while I agree that just because you don’t make it initially, doesn’t mean you cannot

However coming from behind ain’t always easy

And got to try to get ahead of the curve

Hard work is the trump card

and wavcol have to keep aiming for improvement... particularly in their academics

I think there should be more academic high achievers

Work hard play hard.... got to drum it into them

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Here is my opinion on the CAS ladder
1. Knox
2. Waverly
3. Cranbrook
4. Barker
5. Trinity
6. Aloys
Let us hear what you think of it.

I guess anything is possible as most are predicting a much closer comp this year. Knox and Cranbrook have a large number of returners from last year’s teams to give them hope. Nevertheless both of those teams had a tough 2018 so not much form for them to run off. Alloys were always relatively strong in this age group so will expect to do well now they are in year 12. Waverley and Barker were the two standout teams last year and from what I have read here should each have over half their team with significant first XV experience from last year. They also had the top 2 16A teams last year. I think Trinity will bring up the rear unfortunately.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley has a massive pre-season

including View twice, heavyweights Joeys, Auggies and Kings, and a Sanix 7 day tour of Japan

and that is ignoring Shore who I think will be tougher in 2019

so by the time they face someone like Cranners or Barker ... which won't be until after the June NSW trials, injuries could play a part ... but hopefully not

alternatively they (the Double v) could be so match hardened that they roll right over brook at QP on 27 July

and they might come home with a wet sail against Barker and Trinity ... both away games ... and steel what should be a close CAS season

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Barker seems to be flying beneath the radar .. they should have a pretty sizeable pack, and also at least one electric back

anyone care to shed light on Barkers 2019 prospects?

Rod skillet seems to have vanished? His son clearly has left the building ....

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
Barker seems to be flying beneath the radar .. they should have a pretty sizeable pack, and also at least one electric back

Rod skillet seems to have vanished? His son clearly has left the building ..

Barker Prospects... hmmm... I can't see them having too many powerful players this year. Billy Pollard [Aus Schools 2018] is the only one I can imagine being a serious threat to all teams. He will be the most dangerous player in CAS, but without him, Barker 2019 season will be a myth

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Oh well seems like everyone writing off Barkers chances

however I think a Aussie schoolboys hooker together with Dane Wilson (a quality prop) means front row should be solid

then you have tall timber in Jordan Cameron and Weymouth ... plus ring in ... Nick Russell

so forwards should be solid ... and Galloway I rate highly

but outside of that don't know much ... I do know their are some big shoes to fill ... as last years pack was monstorous and the 9 was quality , linking with the 19 year old 10 :mad:

PS I see Knox's Lachlan Swinton has made bench for Tahs ... I still scratch my head that he didn't make Aussie Schools ... and I am a Waverley supporter

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Oh well seems like everyone writing off Barkers chances

PS I see Knox's Lachlan Swinton has made bench for Tahs . I still scratch my head that he didn't make Aussie Schools . and I am a Waverley supporter

Talking with a long term Waratah after the game on Saturday night, his words (or words to the effect) were:

"Swinton had to have at least made the bench this week, he was training the house down and could have easily made the run on side"

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)

Rod skillet seems to have vanished? His son clearly has left the building ..

Hi SDW.

No I have not left the building. Just keeping a low profile over summer. FYI my son goes to Narrabeen Sports High not Barker.

As for Barkers 2019 prospects, I think the crowd is correct in stating that their prospects of matching last years performance is slim.

They will have a competent pack with Brown, Pollard and Slinn as a likely front row with Weymouth (Hugo) and Cameron as locks. As for the back row I do not know of any standouts and have yet to hear much of this Nick Russell lad.

The backs is where the Reds could struggle in 2019. With only Galloway returning and Ovendon blooded from 16as as certainties, you may see Wilson (last years CAS2 prop) reverting back to the centres where he played u15s.

Anyway I think it will be a interesting year with Waverley being the front runners for this years comp.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi SDW.

No I have not left the building. Just keeping a low profile over summer. FYI my son goes to Narrabeen Sports High not Barker.

As for Barkers 2019 prospects, I think the crowd is correct in stating that their prospects of matching last years performance is slim.

They will have a competent pack with Brown, Pollard and Slinn as a likely front row with Weymouth (Hugo) and Cameron as locks. As for the back row I do not know of any standouts and have yet to hear much of this Nick Russell lad.

The backs is where the Reds could struggle in 2019. With only Galloway returning and Ovendon blooded from 16as as certainties, you may see Wilson (last years CAS2 prop) reverting back to the centres where he played u15s.

Anyway I think it will be a interesting year with Waverley being the front runners for this years comp.

Ah, Mr Skellet is back,

Clearly it was a long celebratory period and deservedly so, still can't believe it but that's a champion team and that's footy!

2019 has so far unearthed some new supporter expectations, which is tremendous and healthy.

It will be interesting to see if the GPS schools can be seriously challenged, I do think so.

Teams are still a long way off, I would think.

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi SDW.

Agree with your view re Waverley being the front runners Rod, and to be honest, will think it an upset if any opposition team gets within 20 of them during the regular CAS season. The likes of Volkman, ably supported by Moretti and Milford terrorizing teams up front, putting big bodies through half chances is another level to what other teams are likely to be able to handle.
In relation to Barker’s Nick Russell, I think you will be pleasantly shocked. As will I be if he doesn’t play at least CAS 1’s and follow that up with NSW 1’s or 2’s. Suspect he has set his sights on an Australian 18’s jumper this year, and not without fair grounds for the thought. Super tough, super active; and with a football brain and big motor. Has been playing league for the North Sydney Bears, which means he has probably needed to average 80 dominant tackles per game! Not pretty in the forwards at the Bears trying to stop 100kg athletes with only one intention being metres gained; not pass the ball. But a great platform for the season ahead. I’m told he is a good kid too. Plenty of self belief, even more humility - and no swagger.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I have been informed that Dane Wilson is most likely staying as a prop and unlikely to be in the backs. Barker is fortunate in having 3 strong 1st XV props this year to support Pollard. If "Oceans" comments regarding Nick Russell are close to being correct, then Barker has 3 quality players in Cameron, Weymouth and Russell backing up this front row which will make the Barker forwards competitive with most CAS packs.

Unfortunately I think normality will return to the competition between CAS & GPS this year. I think the GPS teams have greater depth and also some real class players that will take the honours in this years CAS v GPS clash. The Kings School looks exceptionally strong this year, especially in the backs.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
my take on CAS season 2019

very different to CAS 2018, where it was really just 2 juggernauts in Barker and Waverley

this year I agree GPS should prove a lot stronger ... and so hopefully the pre-season GPS rounds don't have a bearing

very hard to pick an out and out favourite ... last year Barker had a monster pack and business-like backs... and this year every team has some chinks in the armour

in 2019 you might fancy Cranbrooks chances ... particularly with a new GPS coach, the best CAS backrower in Alex O'Reilly, the best 9, a good draw, a respectable 2018 season with strong showings

However I think there are some weaknesses... and really Jude Gibbs (now joeys star 10)had to remain at brook for them to win

Waverley ... as always a strong chance. I really rate their backs ... LHW is a freak , Volkman is the CAS best 10, and Midford/Jordan Swann mean backs red hot .....however what they don't have is a formidable back row in 2018’s Molloy/Murphy/Moretti

yes , they have Moretti Junior, however unlike Luca he wasn't an Aussie Schools player in year 11 ... so he is good, and will show some dazzle dazzle...however while he got picked in the NSW 7s team ... in terms of 15 aside.... just not as big and hard to contain, as Luca

further Waverley's problem is they have a huge pre-season and I think they will do well to come in 2nd, as they will find their schedule their undoing

Trinity ... they are being pretty under-rated , as they have the monster trucks in 2019 and if Hugh Engele is still coach I rate them as a pretty good chance ... have a formidable back row in Iemaria, Eid and Pelesasa plus Malachi Hawkes (3) and several handy backs - who could do like the 2018 Barker backs ... and run off the back of a strong forward pack. Either way Trinity a real chance IMHO.

Barker ... kind of the opposite to Waverley’s 2019 team ... some big name forwards (pollard who might be better used at breakaway) and unknown backs. So think it will be hard to rack up the points as they did in 2018. Pollard and Wilson to be missing their 2018 tall timber

Aloys ... Ok they will at least smoke the HSC. But will be the cellar-dwellers, lacking the forward grunt

so that leaves me with Knox ... they had a horrible 2018 ... however I think they will probably have a far better 2019 ... with some balance across the park, and youngsters better for the 2018 experience. This age group was strong, in 16As (As mentioned earlier) and I expect to see the likes of Ollie Evans, Oscar cheal, grobler, gratwick and in the backs Darcy Fitzgerald and Sam rechner...make a name. So I am tipping them as surprise favourites

my tipping of ladder

Knox
Waverley/Trinity
Cranbrook
Barker
Aloys