• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
P.P. If Knox beat Joeys, you mean Waves by 30.

WLF - it seems that Joeys had a shocker in the first half - down 31-7 at the break.
They got back into their groove in the second half, winning it 19-3 (16 points) to finish 34-26.

You'd expect that Joeys won't have a bad half of rugby two weeks in a row, so on a normal day, they are say a 30 point better team than Knox.

Except this week they should have Gibbs back. He would be worth at least 10 points per half. So, 50 points better than Knox this week.

And if what we hear is right, Waverley is a 20 point better team than Knox. So, take 20 from 50, and we end up with a Joeys victory over Waverley of 30 points.

Unless, of course, it was Knox who had a bad second half, and not Joeys who had a bad first half. If that is the case, Waverley will be in real trouble.

Either way, should be a cracker of a match!!!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
P Parker ... you could well be right. Maybe Waverley are dreaming to have a repeat of 2017. That was a rare vintage. They had with hindsight a great crop .. I think they ended up with 8 NSW schoolboys (Bell, Donaldson, Hardaker, Cornish, Wright, Moretti … and they were all great mates).

What I will say is both Joeys and Waverley play an entertaining brand of rugby. So win, lose or draw it won't be boring.

As Matt Burke wrote a while back

The 15-man game is losing its identity. Because it has become a 23-man game.

………. The issue is the make-up of teams, where only some players go the full 80 minutes. Eight blokes get the chance to be replaced, and those players that come onto the pitch are just as big and just as fast as the blokes who left.

The beauty of school boy rugby is it will be 15 blokes slugging it out for the 80 minutes … and if you do get a few subs late in the game, they will have at least played earlier. No fresh reserves…. Or at least I hope both sides stick to this unwritten code. I am not sure Scots does in trials …

Knox plays a very different style of rugby and the fact that they beat a Joeys, without their key playmaker, maybe shows how Joeys are a bit like Waverley.... namely they rely on getting their backs going ... that’s how they like to rack up the points.

Joeys can get frustrated, if they get taken off script. They don’t seem to love the bash and barge … it’s more the slight of hand … that Jude Gibbs is the king of.

It sounds like by the second half , Joeys were back on script, and realised they don’t rely on 1 man.

So there are 3 situations where Joeys have in the past come unstuck

1. They beat themselves … this is rare, and I can only think of a couple of occasions , where Joeys just haven’t turned up mentally or have had a complete brain explosion
  2. They get monstered … where their light weight pack can’t contain forwards that are simply just that much bigger – this is probably the most common, and Waverley do have a pretty big pack … although not that big that I’d count on this happening.
  3. They get out-razzled-dazzled … this is again a bit rare…as Joeys like to dazzle. However it certainly happened in 2017, and in my view it is Waverley’s best chance in 2019.

Waverley won’t monster them in the scrums, and they won’t beat Joeys at the breakdown, or using a pod structure. However if Waverley can get enough quality ball, their backs are certainly capable of razzle dazzle … so hopefully Volkman is raring to go, and unleashes the likes of H-Walters and Milford

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waverley won’t monster them in the scrums, and they won’t beat Joeys at the breakdown, or using a pod structure. However if Waverley can get enough quality ball, their backs are certainly capable of razzle dazzle … so hopefully Volkman is raring to go, and unleashes the likes of H-Walters and Milford

I hope you are right SonnyDillWilliams - it would be good to see more CAS "upsets" over the GPS boys.

A shame I can't be there to see it, but am looking forward to the Kings match.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF - it seems that Joeys had a shocker in the first half - down 31-7 at the break.
They got back into their groove in the second half, winning it 19-3 (16 points) to finish 34-26.

You'd expect that Joeys won't have a bad half of rugby two weeks in a row, so on a normal day, they are say a 30 point better team than Knox.

Except this week they should have Gibbs back. He would be worth at least 10 points per half. So, 50 points better than Knox this week.

And if what we hear is right, Waverley is a 20 point better team than Knox. So, take 20 from 50, and we end up with a Joeys victory over Waverley of 30 points.

Unless, of course, it was Knox who had a bad second half, and not Joeys who had a bad first half. If that is the case, Waverley will be in real trouble.

Either way, should be a cracker of a match!!!

P.Parker, your hypothesis is very good, not sure games happen to go way but...
Without trying to be too funny but it does sound like a Billy Shorten justification of a budget.

Either way Knox put 31 on Joeys in 1 half, quite hard to ever do.
Jude Gibbs is very good and I believe this Joeys team has a lot back from last year, the 2nd rower Broken.. is extremely good.

Time will tell, there will be a huge crowd and good weather forecast.

These 2 schools haven't played at Waverley for some 15+ years, so welcome back Joeys to Death Valley!

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Question for those in the know, how many CAS and GPS players have contracts with League clubs compared to Super Rugby clubs ? Are these comps becoming training ground for the NRL

Late last year, longing for the return of the rugby season, I found myself standing on a summer sport sideline chatting with a friendly Waverley mum.

"How is your rugby team looking for next year" I casually asked.

"Well, with the new boys, we now have 13 contracted to the Roosters" she said, "so it should be very good".

She seemed genuine, and I took her at face value when she added: "It's a shame though - my boy probably won't make the 1st's or 2nd's now, and that has been his goal since he started here in year 7".

I'm not sure if she was spinning me a yarn or not...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Late last year, longing for the return of the rugby season, I found myself standing on a summer sport sideline chatting with a friendly Waverley mum.

"How is your rugby team looking for next year" I casually asked.

"Well, with the new boys, we now have 13 contracted to the Roosters" she said, "so it should be very good".

She seemed genuine, and I took her at face value when she added: "It's a shame though - my boy probably won't make the 1st's or 2nd's now, and that has been his goal since he started here in year 7".

I'm not sure if she was spinning me a yarn or not.

P.P. Very melodramatic, there are NOT 13 boys contracted to the Roosters. In the 1sts at the moment there are 3-4 and there is a push for that to diminish going forward, for all the obvious reasons.
Having said that, I can't think of many/any schools who don't have boys with scholarships.
We all know of cases and it has been going on for a long time.

There was a thread dedicated to this topic which has been exhausted, so people have moved on.

On a side note, league players don't always transfer well into Rugby players.

Having said all that home grown victories will always be the best!

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
P.P. Very melodramatic, there are NOT 13 boys contracted to the Roosters. In the 1sts at the moment there are 3-4 and there is a push for that to diminish going forward, for all the obvious reasons.
Having said that, I can't think of many/any schools who don't have boys with scholarships.
We all know of cases and it has been going on for a long time.

There was a thread dedicated to this topic which has been exhausted, so people have moved on.

On a side note, league players don't always transfer well into Rugby players.

Having said all that home grown victories will always be the best!

Thanks WLF - I thought she might be spinning a bit of a yarn.

Damn those friendly Waverley mums! :)

concernedcranbrookmum

Bob McCowan (2)
Unpopular Opinion:
Aloys will be the dark horse this year and finish top 3. They have a solid forward pack and some all stars in the backs

Yes, I believe so too, I was at their game v Joeys.

Their front row has quite a bit of depth with McNeil, Robertson, Wells and Winters, not only this they also have an amazing set of back-rowers/2nd Rowers, The platform that Partington and Allen provide is outstanding, not to mention the mass amounts of Back rowers they have, such as Perego, Marning, Skrabanich?, Shiel-Dick and the 2s Players can also back this up with Smith and Newton-John.

Yes, I think Aloys could have a red-hot go at top 3 this season!!!

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
I
Yes, I believe so too, I was at their game v Joeys.

Their front row has quite a bit of depth with McNeil, Robertson, Wells and Winters, not only this they also have an amazing set of back-rowers/2nd Rowers, The platform that Partington and Allen provide is outstanding, not to mention the mass amounts of Back rowers they have, such as Perego, Marning, Skrabanich?, Shiel-Dick and the 2s Players can also back this up with Smith and Newton-John.

Yes, I think Aloys could have a red-hot go at top 3 this season!!!
Ultimately what will let Aloys down is the weak opposition of their opponents in the off-season. This means they will not be tested as much as Knox, Barker, Waverly and Trinity. Whilst Aloys may have shown their skills against Joey's 3rds, Knox tested themselves and came away with a major scalp against the Joey's 1st. Teams like Aloys and Cranbrook shouldn't be playing 3rds teams if they really want to finish up the top of the ladder.

James Clark

Bob McCowan (2)
I
Ultimately what will let Aloys down is the weak opposition of their opponents in the off-season. This means they will not be tested as much as Knox, Barker, Waverly and Trinity. Whilst Aloys may have shown their skills against Joey's 3rds, Knox tested themselves and came away with a major scalp against the Joey's 1st. Teams like Aloys and Cranbrook shouldn't be playing 3rds teams if they really want to finish up the top of the ladder.

Systematic oppression..... they wonder why aloys and brook (the two smallest in numbers per year and usually most academic schools) cant win more premierships... also copping the short straw in terms of the draw

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whilst Aloys results year to date have been commendable, I simply can't see them finishing anywhere other than at the base of the CAS table. I say this mainly as their draw is a killer - away to Knox, Waverley and Trinity, with home games against Cranbrook and Barker. The Barker game is the only one that I see they have a possibility of winning.
An injury or two, which is inevitable, and their depth will be harshly examined.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Systematic oppression... they wonder why aloys and brook (the two smallest in numbers per year and usually most academic schools) cant win more premierships. also copping the short straw in terms of the draw

Oppression? Really! Yes, Aloy's only have 2 home games this year (not sure about Cranbrook) in the CAS rounds, but they'll have 3 home games next year, so I'm not too sure about systematic oppression. It is harder for them both to win premierships, but Cranbrook did it in 2014 so it can be done. Also, Knox beat both schools in the HSC the last 2 years so not sure about your most academic call.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
CommentPhotos.com_1407273524.jpg