• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook needs to get the all wide as much as possible: they need to run around the Knox pack. The teams are more evenly matched in the backs than in the forwards, so that's their best chance. On the other hand, to do that, they need some ball, and that could be an issue for them.

The focus on this game seems to suggest that the other two fixtures aren't seen as much of a contest. Trinity has a pretty horrible record at Hornsby, and I doubt that will change on Saturday, and I'm not sure that anyone backs the Jesuits to upset the Christian Brothers (although the smart money is on St Aloysius to clean up in debating).

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Here is my list of Barker players that are in genuine contention for a CAS1 spot. I have not seen Waves or Knox so not in a position to judge.

My call is based on having seen Barker play all GPS sides save Scots.

Wilson 1
Pollard 2
Brown 3
Cameron 4
Weymoth 6
Wheels 7
Ovendon 10
Galloway 11
Vasse 15

These lads may not get selected but they certainly have the capability to match the GPS in their position.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
From a Knox persecutive I would say the following for CAS1

3 Kablau
5 Hughes
6 Cheal
7 Breden
8 Gratwicke
12 Rechner

I don't think the entire back row will get picked but I would expect all 3 to be in the mix for 1's and 2's

Would love to find a spot for Grobler, but Pollard is the first player picked obviously.

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
From a Knox persecutive I would say the following for CAS1

3 Kablau
5 Hughes
6 Cheal
7 Breden
8 Gratwicke
12 Rechner

I don't think the entire back row will get picked but I would expect all 3 to be in the mix for 1's and 2's

Would love to find a spot for Grobler, but Pollard is the first player picked obviously.

The awesome thing about schoolboy footy, anything can happen. Even for the boys who are in CAS2, they still have a shot at making NSW/Aus Schools. e.g Tom Woodcock 2017. CAS2 --> Australian Schoolboys

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Here is my list of Barker players that are in genuine contention for a CAS1 spot. I have not seen Waves or Knox so not in a position to judge.

My call is based on having seen Barker play all GPS sides save Scots.

Wilson 1
Pollard 2
Brown 3
Cameron 4
Weymoth 6
Wheels 7
Ovendon 10
Galloway 11
Vasse 15

These lads may not get selected but they certainly have the capability to match the GPS in their position.

Barker certainly strong from 1-15 Rod. Tidy outfit.

Adrian Brown probably in 2's for me, Malachi Hawkes very hard to go past for the other prop position. That's an awesome front row. Weymouth and Wheels in contention but there are a lot of strong backrowers so that will be really interesting.

Ovendon has been impressive so far this season for sure but I see him as the 3rd or 4th best flyhalf amongst a strong crop. Fitzgerald plays similarly with great control and distribution, but has Ovendon in the kicking game. Vuki is outstanding in defence, good control (of a poor side) and even a bit of attacking flair as he played 12/15 last year with Edmed at 10. Volkman outdoes all on skill in attack but his defensive game is poor.

Very strong crop - even throw in Sidgreaves from Aloys 2018 Gen Blue player. Ovendon is a class flyhalf but I don't see him being selected due to the strength of the other 10's.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
For what it's worth, here is my guess at CAS 1s for 2019.
  1. Hawkes (T)
  2. Pollard (B)
  3. Hayman (C)
  4. Rice (W)
  5. Cameron (B)
  6. Gratwicke (K)
  7. Breden (K)
  8. O'Reilly (C)
  9. Smith (C)
  10. Vuki (T)
  11. Swann (W)
  12. Rechner (K)
  13. Milford (W)
  14. Galloway (B)
  15. Griffiths (K)
Unfortunately, couldn't find a place for an Aloy's player, though Allen and Spalding will go close.
Not as strong as 2018, but I think the same applies for GPS. So, CAS, with home ground advantage, could make it three in a row.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
  1. Hawkes (T)
  2. Pollard (B)
  3. Hayman (C)
  4. Rice (W)
  5. Cameron (B)
  6. Gratwicke (K)
  7. Breden (K)
  8. O'Reilly (C)
  9. Smith (C)
  10. Vuki (T)
  11. Swann (W)
  12. Rechner (K)
  13. Milford (W)
  14. Galloway (B)
  15. Griffiths (K)
Unfortunately, couldn't find a place for an Aloy's player, though Allen and Spalding will go close.

Not as strong as 2018, but I think the same applies for GPS. So, CAS, with home ground advantage, could make it three in a row.

Very good side Carl, would agree with 90% of it. I believe Dane Wilson from Barker may be a shot over Hayman, perhaps Hayman in 2's. Hard to go past Cheal as well who has been instrumental for Knox, a big boy too. I believe Gratwicke has been playing 8, Cheal at 6? May be corrected but if so, I'd have Cheal over Gratwicke - haven't seen much of O'Reilly though so could potentially have the whole Knox backrow?

A good side though and agree with your picks Carl, get you on the selection panel maybe??

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
  1. Hawkes (T)
  2. Pollard (B)
  3. Hayman (C)
  4. Rice (W)
  5. Cameron (B)
  6. Gratwicke (K)
  7. Breden (K)
  8. O'Reilly (C)
  9. Smith (C)
  10. Vuki (T)
  11. Swann (W)
  12. Rechner (K)
  13. Milford (W)
  14. Galloway (B)
  15. Griffiths (K)

Close to the perfect team you have there. My only changes would be:
10. Vuki (T) Volkman (W)
11. Swann (W) Evans (K)

I'm assuming that the no.6 and 8 spots will be decided this Friday night @ Easts. IMO , it comes down to how Cheal (K) Gratwicke (K) and O'Reilly (C) play. I haven't had a chance to watch O'Reilly this season, so I can't rule him out of contention (Can anyone give me insight into his game?). With that being said, I have had the privilege to watch both Cheal and Gratwicke play this season, and those two are something. Gratwicke has a great running game, is a line-out option (Which CAS is going to need to compete with GPS) and has the ability to deal out bone crunching tackles. Cheal is a 7 in an 8's body. His work at the breakdown is great, he has a good running game and really knows the game well. With him getting time in CAS1 last year (Year 11), it would be naive to think that he isn't a shoe in

T

thedirtysanchez

I seriously think Aloys are in for a chance at the premiership this year. They've demonstrated precision and skill and are looking to bounce back after a disappointing loss this year. Under the leadership of the newly appointed rector, "Frosty" Ross Jones, the Aloys first XV will be a force to be reckoned with this season.

Completely agree.
Was speaking to the barker head coach last night, we are mates from back in the day, and he told me that no one is taking Aloys lightly like they have in the past. Some great talent this year, and no importing like at Waverley, just a bunch of boys wanting to play some champagne footy together.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I seriously think Aloys are in for a chance at the premiership this year. They've demonstrated precision and skill and are looking to bounce back after a disappointing loss this year. Under the leadership of the newly appointed rector, "Frosty" Ross Jones, the Aloys first XV will be a force to be reckoned with this season.

What is the forward pack like? Is there size there? Where are the particular team strengths. I agree as a Barker supporter Alos should always be treated with apprehension and respect. They can bite.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Close to the perfect team you have there. My only changes would be:
10. Vuki (T) Volkman (W)
11. Swann (W) Evans (K)

I'm assuming that the no.6 and 8 spots will be decided this Friday night @ Easts. IMO , it comes down to how Cheal (K) Gratwicke (K) and O'Reilly (C) play. I haven't had a chance to watch O'Reilly this season, so I can't rule him out of contention (Can anyone give me insight into his game?). With that being said, I have had the privilege to watch both Cheal and Gratwicke play this season, and those two are something. Gratwicke has a great running game, is a line-out option (Which CAS is going to need to compete with GPS) and has the ability to deal out bone crunching tackles. Cheal is a 7 in an 8's body. His work at the breakdown is great, he has a good running game and really knows the game well. With him getting time in CAS1 last year (Year 11), it would be naive to think that he isn't a shoe in

I strongly considered the entire loose forwards from Knox, and would have no reservations that they could get the job done, but i just had to find a place for O'Reilly. Big, tough and game aware. I know Gratwicke has been playing at 8, and would likely prefer to play there, but I'm sure he can cope at 6. Let's see how Friday night plays out - I have a heap of respect for Oscar Cheal also.
Happy if Evans get the nod on the wing.
But I worry about Volkman, particularly after seeing him in the Riverview match. Unless the ball is heading his way in attack, he clocks off and rests and waits for the ball to come to him. Bit of a league tendency! Yes, he can tackle, but can he defend?
The 10 spot is probably the most difficult spot to fill in my opinion.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Milford ... Waverley first choice 13....coming back from injury...so unless he is picked in 1s, and has a blinder, can’t see him in cas 1s

Wlf opinion better than mine ... as he is closer to action

To be pushing for cas 1s from Waverley

4... rice
8 ... moretti
10... volkman
12... Lathan hutch-Walters

Now that is probably being tough ... but others are all injured or have been

Def more looking at cas 2s