• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
How did brook go today?

Cranbrook were pretty average yesterday, although it looked like a couple of players were missing.

Also, 2 year 10 boys made their Brook 1st XV debut in the second half. Both handled themselves excellently & deserve a shout out - Congrats!

The game reminded me of how Brook played against Aloys. They dropped a lot of ball and looked clueless in attack, running one out. The Shoremen defended it easily and were definitely the keener of the 2 sides.

Brook still on holiday by the looks, but no disrespect to Shore who definitely gave it to them.

Massive improvement needed for the Waverley game.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrook were pretty average yesterday, although it looked like a couple of players were missing.

Also, 2 year 10 boys made their Brook 1st XV debut in the second half. Both handled themselves excellently & deserve a shout out - Congrats!

The game reminded me of how Brook played against Aloys. They dropped a lot of ball and looked clueless in attack, running one out. The Shoremen defended it easily and were definitely the keener of the 2 sides.

Brook still on holiday by the looks, but no disrespect to Shore who definitely gave it to them.

Hey Bolivia.

I'm (and I suspect WLF too) very interested to know which year 10 Brook boys made their debuts?

Will they play 1sts next weekend, or stay in the 16As?

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Cranners versus Shore should give Brook a good hit-out

Not sure if Waverley has had any opportunities over the holidays or if they have a game this weekend? WLF?

what I do know is Waverley will be smarting from being . Zero from 2 . so Brook had better be full strength. come the 27th.

as any complacency will be gone .. and Waverley will be very hungry to make amends.

Although ironically I think Waverley's best chance is not to out-muscle Cranbrook, but instead to get the backs working more cohesively and attacking Brook on the edges, and the midfield (which tends to be there go to play). Cranners does have some suspect defenders on the wings IMHO . and Waverley need to be careful of too much crash and bash in the mid-field . mungo style.

SDW you've nailed a major reason for Waverley's slide this season, not all by a long shot, with:
too much crash and bash in the mid-field . mungo style

Another major reason, is the Sanix trip and the failure of the Waverley coaching staff to realise the overall number of games and training that these boys have had to do since October last year. Throw in HSC. Instead of backing off, they have kept flogging the boys.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
SDW you've nailed a major reason for Waverley's slide this season, not all by a long shot, with:

Another major reason, is the Sanix trip and the failure of the Waverley coaching staff to realise the overall number of games and training that these boys have had to do since October last year. Throw in HSC. Instead of backing off, they have kept flogging the boys.

I don't think that any 1st XV coach of the modern schoolboy era would be as incompetent as you suggest.
The Sanix tour would have been an enormous part of the rugby lives of the players.
I'm sure Waverley's losses have much broader reasons than alleged poor coaching.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook v Waverley should be a good game

Based on form you would tip cranbrook

They have a good goal kicker in Hayman

And Alex oreilly leads a quality pack

Have a great 9 in smith and 13 is excellent in attack and defence

Waverley on the other hand have a massive pack
Well led by towering Alex rice

Waverley just need to get some cohesion

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Bolivia, that's extremely good for those year 10 boys, good on them, and that will only help Brook in years to come!
See you Sat, I assume.

P.S. Did your team end up playing St.Pats 16as, if so I assume a solid win/score?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think that any 1st XV coach of the modern schoolboy era would be as incompetent as you suggest.
The Sanix tour would have been an enormous part of the rugby lives of the players.
I'm sure Waverley's losses have much broader reasons than alleged poor coaching.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) and ZHC,

I think you are both correct, however I don't blame the coaches.
My view is that it is very hard to turn down an OS trip like Sanix, if you are lucky enough to be invited,and the life experience is a 1 off, so I certainly understand why the Waves accepted.

The difficulty is in assessing the impact on the season.
My opinion is also that this team has had a lot of very hard games, probably more than any other school, Sanix then many strong GPS sides, and in all games they were more than competitive. Reality is they should have beaten View in the 2nd match,and Kings, and led Joeys at times and lost by 1 conversion.

It appeared to me that just when the CAS season started, they may have hit a bit of a brick wall in the 1st 2 games.
I expect them to bounce back after this break and more than likely win all 3 remaining games, if they play to their potential.
Had they won their 1st 2 CAS games then the coaches would appear to be superstars so far.
History also suggests that these coaches are extremely good both at schoolboy and CAS Rep level.

What I do know is come this Sat and beyond both the CAS and GPS comps should be very exiting.

ZHC see you on sat, and please reveal yourself, pretty sure Bolivia will also be there unless he is behind bars!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It appeared to me that just when the CAS season started, they may have hit a bit of a brick wall in the 1st 2 games.
I expect them to bounce back after this break and more than likely win all 3 remaining games, if they play to their potential.

WLF, there's a rumour that there was a game once when you didn't pick Waverley to win.

Not sure I believe it, though.

For what it's worth, I get a little tired of what often happens when schools lose, which is a wholesale bagging of strategy, preparation, coaches, and "attitude". This all misses the point that there are two teams out there, and any odds are good odds in a two horse race. Waverley has a good bunch of players and good coaches - but so do five other schools. And no one wins all the time. I think Waverley are a good chance to knock off Cranbrook, but if the result went the other way it wouldn't shock me - this is that kind of a season.

Elsewhere, I think Knox has too much firepower for Trinity, and I don't think St Aloysius can upset Barker.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, there's a rumour that there was a game once when you didn't pick Waverley to win.

Not sure I believe it, though.

For what it's worth, I get a little tired of what often happens when schools lose, which is a wholesale bagging of strategy, preparation, coaches, and "attitude". This all misses the point that there are two teams out there, and any odds are good odds in a two horse race. Waverley has a good bunch of players and good coaches - but so do five other schools. And no one wins all the time. I think Waverley are a good chance to knock off Cranbrook, but if the result went the other way it wouldn't shock me - this is that kind of a season.

Elsewhere, I think Knox has too much firepower for Trinity, and I don't think St Aloysius can upset Barker.

Ha Ha Snort,

I assume you read my entire comment above where I was supporting the coaches (not bagging anything or anyone), so not sure what you mean in this regard. You are right, no one wins all the time, and that would not be good for anyone.

Believe it or not, but historically I don't always pick the Waves, it just so happens over the last 2-3 years they have been strong and the results prove that. If I kept picking them and they constantly lost then your comment about bias would be fair.

Given a number of strong performances this year against strong GPS schools, I think its quite reasonable for me to pick the Waves for the next 3 games, not just a 1 eyed bias, and yes time will tell, and yes there are 2 teams in every contest, as Aloys proved.

I think you may get even more tired of me picking the Waves in the next 3 years, as we see what's come down the pipeline.
This year has proven more open that the last few but I think Barker are in the box seat!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
For what it is worth I think WLF does play with a straight bat and makes honest calls. He is correct that over past 3 years Waves have been strong so predicting a Waves win is not surprising despite the fact he proudly bleeds blue and yellow. I agree with most that this weekends game of Waves v Brook will be close but I too expect a Waves win. For those asking Barker easily accounted for StPats last weekend. Final score 43/7. No rep players played and most 2nds got game time. Game was played in true trial spirit.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Hey Bolivia.

I'm (and I suspect WLF too) very interested to know which year 10 Brook boys made their debuts?

Will they play 1sts next weekend, or stay in the 16As?
I very much doubt they will play 1st's. Just giving the boys a taste I suspect.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Bolivia, that's extremely good for those year 10 boys, good on them, and that will only help Brook in years to come!

See you Sat, I assume.

P.S. Did your team end up playing St.Pats 16as, if so I assume a solid win/score?

Hi WLF

Our boys didn't play Pats, I think Barker did though.

Big test for Brook this weekend in 1st's & 16A's. Hopefully Brook 1st's have got rid of their holiday stupor - otherwise.....!

Would be nice to see the 16's turn up this year. I suspect it will be a little closer than last year, even though we are not at full strength.

And yes, I will be there on Sat!

Reactions: WLF

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Re this weekend ...a few selection question marks.

At Waverley...prop Aholelei is back and was picked in 2nds v Aloys. I personally think he needs to be back in starting 15

Similarly Levi Milford was in 2nds ... returning from knee troubles ...yet got picked in cavalier barbarians, at nationals

So whether either of these 2 are back in the Waverley ones?

Not sure if anyone pays price of aloys shock?

And then for cranbrook their 15 lamens played in 2nd v knox?!

And I gather didn’t play against shore. Injured?

So whether cranbrook have embraced a new 15?

Anyway key match ups

13s
Taylor v Levi Milford? Both these 2 players I rate highly

15s
Lamens? V d’agostino.
I think Waverley has the better custodian... and the selectors agreed

Props
Hayman v Aholelei? ... I tip the front row battle should be pretty even

Line out should also be a good contest ... with both sides competent .

Waverley has a lot of tall timber. At least one 16As player would not be out of place

Wings
North v kite. Again not a lot splitting these 2. Selectors like north.

I think Waverley need to target white ... in the same way cranners prob target volkman.

Not to be too harsh good attacking players, not always good in their D

Bigboppers
Oreilly (8) v rice (5)
Both these players are great ... altgh oreilly probably pips rice, with a bit more mobility

I am surprised oreilly didn’t make higher honours

X factors
Smith (9) v Lathan Hutchison-waters(12)

I think Lathan is due. But if it comes down to his boot, Hayman is more reliable.
Tas Smith prob cranners best player imho

Players that have been a bit quiet that could have
An impact
Cranbrook’s
Pakutoa (12) and moretti (8)

And then there is the match up of 10s

Clunies-ross versus volkman. One has soft hands and the other fast feet. So interesting match up

Young guns to watch for next year

Cranbrook’s Ryan (5) and Waverley’s davvy moale

My tip ... sadly I think cranners could win. Won’t be good if Waverley are 0 from 3.
The Only thing that might swing it , is the QP crowd. So hope they are rabid...within reason

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
WLF, I should have made it clear I wasn't aiming that at you. But it's amazing how many people (not you) pile on when a school loses a few.

From what I've seen, Waverley looks well placed to be highly competitive over the new couple of years, Current 16s have been strong throughout, as I'm sure you know only too well.

As for me, I continue to pick my old school to win about twice a season. Sometimes I'm right.

Reactions: WLF

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)

Employ crap coaches- get crap results.

In saying that Aloys coaching staff are far superior in how they have coach against the two from Waverley, and it shows with their dominant victory. Interesting about them flogging players- how are they all so unfit if they are keep getting belted so much? Maybe incompetence of coaches is even worse than I thought?

Aloys to win this weekend- no doubt.

Cranbrook with a huge scalp at QP- easy game plan boys- just attack them at the breakdown and bait them to fight you, also the hooker can’t throw the ball in the lineout and they only go to the front- watch our game and also their 12 (Lathan) hasn’t passed the ball in over a year, so just double team him, oh and they never kick the ball - worked for us!

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
For what it is worth I think WLF does play with a straight bat and makes honest calls. He is correct that over past 3 years Waves have been strong so predicting a Waves win is not surprising despite the fact he proudly bleeds blue and yellow. I agree with most that this weekends game of Waves v Brook will be close but I too expect a Waves win. For those asking Barker easily accounted for StPats last weekend. Final score 43/7. No rep players played and most 2nds got game time. Game was played in true trial spirit.

I assume you will be at the game this weekend Rod? I will be in Brisbane with some old boys watching the Wallabies. I guess you will be posting developments as they occur?

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
For those asking Barker easily accounted for StPats last weekend. Final score 43/7. No rep players played and most 2nds got game time. Game was played in true trial spirit.

In addition, I think it was 33-7 at half time and in the second half 5 of the 16A's who have never played opens before went on at various times. They held their own, but with a combination of many 2nd's players and a bunch of 16A's along with a smattering of usual 1sts players (minus 6 or 7 rep players) it was a fairly predictable result.

16A's won, but definitely not convincingly. Two boys out at NSW Invitational and a few B's players who stepped up to fill in a couple of other holes too made it a highly competitive match. Hopefully Barker 16's can flip the switch for Aloy's as they have not played well over the past three matches.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not sure why we seem to be discounting Waverley so much. They lost one big upset game to Aloys, probably just due to complacency and took Aloys too lightly.

Aside from this, Waverley have been just a few points away from having an absolutely stellar season. Change a few goal kicks, maybe a poor refereeing decision and all of a sudden Waverley beat Joeys, Knox, Kings and Riverview. Their PD over these 4 games is -6.

Waverley are the losers of this anyone's-game season, with only 1 CAS round it's nearly impossible to crawl their way back, but I think they're a little hard done by in this thread with everyone saying poor coaching poor structure etc. Cranbrook are no doubt strong as well this season, and again - its anyone's game.