• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
the only team that they've really put 50 on is the weakest side in CAS the cranbrook team so saying that is no real feat for trinity and i agree they wouldn't match up to well against stronger gps teams like view and scots

Doesn't 59 points against St Aloysius count? And they went over 50 in a few of their pre-season games, I think against St Pats and St Stanislaus. And they knocked off Knox 39-5, which is close enough. These are just facts.

It's pointless to say that "they wouldn't match up well against view" because those of us who follow what actually happens know that Riverview has already beaten them this year.

How this Trinity side would fare in this year's GPS is a question of opinion. Certainly they wouldn't win it - my best guess is that they might come in about fourth or fifth. Since it won't happen, it hardly matters. The point is that in the only competition they have to play in, they're played 7, won 7. They're a side with real limitations, but also great strengths, and played 7 won 7 is a difficult record to knock.

C

Casnovian

Trinity (Barbarians) v. Kwansei Gakuin - 26 July 2011
Kwansei Gakuin - 55 to 0

R.I.P.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
How this Trinity side would fare in this year's GPS is a question of opinion. Certainly they wouldn't win it - my best guess is that they might come in about fourth or fifth. Since it won't happen, it hardly matters. The point is that in the only competition they have to play in, they're played 7, won 7. They're a side with real limitations, but also great strengths, and played 7 won 7 is a difficult record to knock.
Teams play to the level of the competition so Trinity would match up well against most of the GPS teams.
Remember Cranbrook put 33 points on Grammar and Joeys only managed 40.
Trinity have size, speed, aggression and skill. Tactically they may need to play a little better but they are a good side and would improve against better opposition week in/week out.
There would be a few GPS sides beaten by this Trinity team.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking forward...

Why don't we leave the question of what might happen if schools played in different competitions, and think about the coming weekend? All the matches are interesting.

Trinity plays Barker at home. If Trinity wins, it guarantees at least a share of the premiership. Barker didn't get on last week and I didn't see their holiday results (if any) so its form is a bit of a mystery to me. Trinity was rusty last week and Barker has got closer to them than any other CAS side this year (20-10 at Barker in the first round). So this one will be close, but with Trinity playing for a premiership at home, and Barker playing for pride away, you'd have to say Trinity had the edge.

Waverley and Knox. The winner keeps its premiership hopes alive. If Waverley wins it's mathematically possible that Waverley, Trinity and Knox all finish on seven wins. If Knox wins, it's mathematically possible that Knox wins eight and Trinity wins seven or eight. So a huge game. Waverley had a very comfortable win in the first round, but since then Knox has picked up its form a bit, and Waverley hasn't improved. Knox, this time, I think, on form and home ground advantage. But it's anyone's game.

Then, Cranbrook and St Aloysius - two limited but proud teams trying to avoid the wooden spoon. St Aloysius won last time, 27-20, but Cranbrook has since beaten Waverley, so they won't be pushovers. For no particular reason, I'm tipping Cranbrook to win this one. Incidentally, Pat Kennedy has scored tries for St Aloysius in each of his last four CAS games - let's see if he can make it five in a row.

Having said all that, I don't know anything at all about how the teams are lining up. For instance, if Lawley were out for Knox but Talakai made a miracle recovery (I gather he's out for the season) then my prediction might change. Anyone know any team news?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Why don't we leave the question of what might happen if schools played in different competitions, and think about the coming weekend? All the matches are interesting.

Trinity plays Barker at home. If Trinity wins, it guarantees at least a share of the premiership. Barker didn't get on last week and I didn't see their holiday results (if any) so its form is a bit of a mystery to me. Trinity was rusty last week and Barker has got closer to them than any other CAS side this year (20-10 at Barker in the first round). So this one will be close, but with Trinity playing for a premiership at home, and Barker playing for pride away, you'd have to say Trinity had the edge.

Waverley and Knox. The winner keeps its premiership hopes alive. If Waverley wins it's mathematically possible that Waverley, Trinity and Knox all finish on seven wins. If Knox wins, it's mathematically possible that Knox wins eight and Trinity wins seven or eight. So a huge game. Waverley had a very comfortable win in the first round, but since then Knox has picked up its form a bit, and Waverley hasn't improved. Knox, this time, I think, on form and home ground advantage. But it's anyone's game.

Then, Cranbrook and St Aloysius - two limited but proud teams trying to avoid the wooden spoon. St Aloysius won last time, 27-20, but Cranbrook has since beaten Waverley, so they won't be pushovers. For no particular reason, I'm tipping Cranbrook to win this one. Incidentally, Pat Kennedy has scored tries for St Aloysius in each of his last four CAS games - let's see if he can make it five in a row.

Having said all that, I don't know anything at all about how the teams are lining up. For instance, if Lawley were out for Knox but Talakai made a miracle recovery (I gather he's out for the season) then my prediction might change. Anyone know any team news?

Talk has it that Trinity has a number of boys coming back from injury - would think that despite their rusty outing against Waverley last week and “limited” tactical options – that the green machine will continue on its winning way.

Knox / Waverley – can’t go past Knox at home. Waverley whilst tenacious to the death against Trinity last week, had to rely on Trinity errors to get on the board – huge share of possession but no cigar.

Aloys / Cranbrook – tempted to say who cares, but I know both teams will see this as an opportunity to get a win – could even be match of the round – 2 evenly matched teams desperate for a win – I’ll go with Cranbrook at home – playing at home being the clincher.

C

Casnovian

Kwansei Gakuin Vs Barker 3rds at Trinity 12.00 p.m. this Saturday
Also vs Barker 16bs at 0800 - TGS 3

These lads love their rugby!

C

Casnovian

This weekend.

Trinity vs Barker - TGS highly unlikely to repeat first round - Purcell (Barker) had a great kicking game compared to Debrezcin'is - Trinity had no ball at all for first twenty minutes + sustained 2 serious injuries. Trinity to win.
Knox vs Waverly - even if at home for Knox - match of the round - Waves to spoil by a small margin.
Aloys vs Cranbrook - Cranbrook recently in the paper re funding - haven't been putting it into rugby ! St Alos to win.

C

Casnovian

And of course Charles IM - doesn't think he is playing basketball. RU is his game!

M

meathead

Trinity was rusty last week and Barker has got closer to them than any other CAS side this year (20-10 at Barker in the first round).

I fail to see how 20-10 is a closer margin than 24 - 15 in the Trinity v Waverley game.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Rnd 1 37-13 v Trinity
Rnd 2 24-15 v Trinity

That seems like a 15 point improvement to me, correct me if im wrong???

More likely trinity's was a 20 or 30 point worse performance. Really, did you see the games? Both Waverley tries were from goal line dumb mistakes by trinity, not any piece of excellence on waverley's part. Please stand corrected! :)

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Trying to make sense of last week's washouts. Can someone please confirm that Waverley and Trinity 2nds actually played and if so, what was the score. Also, Did they play their age group A divisions or not. Trying the update the unofficial CAS website and would appreciate any help. cheers.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Trying to make sense of last week's washouts. Can someone please confirm that Waverley and Trinity 2nds actually played and if so, what was the score. Also, Did they play their age group A divisions or not. Trying the update the unofficial CAS website and would appreciate any help. cheers.

Only 1s played - Trinity vs Waverley

B

bellcheese

1sts Knox 43-10 Cranbrook (12-10 half-time)
2nds Cranbrook 8-5 Knox (3-5 half-time). ?Knox 2nds haven't lost a game for 4 years?
No other games played but Hordern oval was in good condition and always drains well.

Status
Not open for further replies.