• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
waverley beat knox 15-5. waverley were the much better team.

huge brawl with 15 mins to go. liam creeley (knox) and the waverley tighthead prop were both sent off. However, ingram-melsom and jack johnson both should have been sent off. i have seen those two through the ages and they would have to be the biggest thugs i have ever seen. why do waverley think this is ok. i know there was at least one other red card in the 16s to waverley, and i wouldnt be surprised if there was more.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 63 Barker 21

And that's the Plume Shield to Trinity: 8 from 8. If they lose the last two, they will still be outright premiers. Today they actually controlled possession pretty well: Harrison Orr won some lineouts and they had more than half the ball. They ran out to an 18-0 lead with a barging try to Morsello the feature. Barker countered with a well-worked try in the corner but it was 25-7 at half time and 32-7 soon after. To Barker's credit they kept on trying and held possession for about ten minutes, scoring twice to pull back the score to 32-21. That seemed to reawaken Debreczini and Sio, with Debreczini finding big gaps in the defensive line and Sio scoring twice with bulldozing runs. So Barker earned the distinction of scoring more points against Trinity than any other CAS side this year. But they also allowed Trinity to run up its biggest score.

For Trinity, Debreczini controlled the game, broke the line at will, set up is runners well and kicked 18 points. Jones had a good game at half, with one great run from the scrum base. Logan and Koroi had strong games in the centre and bagged a try each. Sio ran powerfully, as did Harrison Orr and Morsello had a strong game untilreplaced towards the end (by Smart, a player who is almost half his side). Clarke showed touches of class at full back.

For Barker... well, they hung in there. Purcell was the best, at full back, running and kicking well.

So - impossible to quibble over the fact that Trinity was the best CAS side this year. 8 wins straight, three times scoring over 50. Congratulations to them.

R

rockon

To this i must say trust! Last week the tight head prop was niggling and starting fights against trinity. Finally a ref picks up his disgusting behaviour. Should've been a red in my opinion

C

Casnovian

For Trinity, Debreczini controlled the game, broke the line at will, set up is runners well and kicked 18 points. Jones had a good game at half, with one great run from the scrum base. Logan and Koroi had strong games in the centre and bagged a try each. Sio ran powerfully, as did Harrison Orr and Morsello had a strong game untilreplaced towards the end (by Smart, a player who is almost half his side). Clarke showed touches of class at full back.

And lets not forget the forward pack as a collective - both props and the flankers who were relentless in their work rate. No 1. needs a special mention - give him an inch and he is gone..... - not bad for a 16 year old who until this year knew very little about the position. Seized his opportunity with both hands to play in the First XV and with grit and determination.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
great to see with all the arrogant knox parents hurling abuse at the waverly kids before and during the game, sure shut them up

I am a former Knox parent and this accusation is pure rubbish- this comment and later one by Meathead would be better placed on Sportal.

A very disappointing performance by Knox. In the 2nds game Knox bounced back to form, putting the cleaners through Waverley 55-17.
In the 1st XV Knox dominated territory in 1st half but found it difficult to breach the final defence. Conversely Waverly scored on both occassions they were in the Knox 22.
THe scond half of the game degenerated into a sloppy performance of dropped passes and one-FF (Folau Fainga'a) attempts to breach defence. Too many forwards seagulling/cluttering up the backline. The all -in brawl came from a head-high, which was not the first of the game.
Knox's rep players-Lawley & Scarano both had tentative games- may be a feeling of avoiding injuries at this time. Bursler also had a fairly quiet game-nowhere near the level of his game for CAS vs GPS.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree with 'The Chosen' in relation to a few Sportal like comments coming into this thread. I would suggest that those making them desist or go away.

I also concur with the view that Knox were disappointing, but all credit to Waverley. They did what they had to, played to their strengths and showed determination and team work. Perhaps the result last week against Trinity was not so much as Trinity having a bad day, but Waverley having form.

From the sideline it is also easy to label players involved in all-in brawls to be thugs. I think that is a bit harsh, but for some in this game it was not a good look. In this case if Knox had shown sufficient discipline in not initially reacting the game may have gone the other way. The brawl probably more unsettled them than Waverley. However I think there was a case for further punishment or red cards. There were some players who carried on way too long, and it wasn't a good look to see individual players from one side getting held by some players whilst getting thumped by another. It is an even worse look if the player doing the big hits on a restrained player is the captain of the side. Waverley were probably lucky getting only one player carded.

This Knox side were disjointed and looked out of sorts. I am not sure how they are coached, but in some areas of basic skills and team work they have regressed during this season. Which is a pity and disappointing.

M

meathead

I am a former Knox parent and this accusation is pure rubbish- this comment and later one by Meathead would be better placed on Sportal.

A very disappointing performance by Knox. In the 2nds game Knox bounced back to form, putting the cleaners through Waverley 55-17.
In the 1st XV Knox dominated territory in 1st half but found it difficult to breach the final defence. Conversely Waverly scored on both occassions they were in the Knox 22.
THe scond half of the game degenerated into a sloppy performance of dropped passes and one-FF (Folau Fainga'a) attempts to breach defence. Too many forwards seagulling/cluttering up the backline. The all -in brawl came from a head-high, which was not the first of the game.
Knox's rep players-Lawley & Scarano both had tentative games- may be a feeling of avoiding injuries at this time. Bursler also had a fairly quiet game-nowhere near the level of his game for CAS vs GPS.

Regarding the rep players, dropping the ball every second time and missing countless tackles doesnt count as avoiding injury, if they were, their 2nds seemed much more capable as they were able to hold onto the ball and thump the opposition in their match.

In my opinion it was a real gutsy performance by Waverley, with very little possession and field position to hold out and come ontop. They took their opportunities when presented whereas Knox did not. A couple of 50/50 calls did not help the waverley side, but the calls were inconsistant both ways. Knox will have to improve alot on this performance to save themselves embarrasement by the unbeaten Trinity

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree with 'The Chosen' in relation to a few Sportal like comments coming into this thread. I would suggest that those making them desist or go away.

I also concur with the view that Knox were disappointing, but all credit to Waverley. They did what they had to, played to their strengths and showed determination and team work. Perhaps the result last week against Trinity was not so much as Trinity having a bad day, but Waverley having form.

From the sideline it is also easy to label players involved in all-in brawls to be thugs. I think that is a bit harsh, but for some in this game it was not a good look. In this case if Knox had shown sufficient discipline in not initially reacting the game may have gone the other way. The brawl probably more unsettled them than Waverley. However I think there was a case for further punishment or red cards. There were some players who carried on way too long, and it wasn't a good look to see individual players from one side getting held by some players whilst getting thumped by another. It is an even worse look if the player doing the big hits on a restrained player is the captain of the side. Waverley were probably lucky getting only one player carded.

This Knox side were disjointed and looked out of sorts. I am not sure how they are coached, but in some areas of basic skills and team work they have regressed during this season. Which is a pity and disappointing.

I completely agree that Knox retaliated which started it, but the Knox player was sent off for third man in. The reason that he was third man in was because three waverley players were belting the knox halfback. One other Knox player got belted by 3 Waverley players. I know both him and the halfback off the field and they are two of the nicest blokes I have ever met off the field, they did not deserve that treatment one bit. It says a lot about waverley players when they cant take a man on one on one and only take them when they have two guys to hold the guys arms down. An example was when ingram-melsom pushed and grabbed lawley, and didn't do anything when he realised it was just one-on-one.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
And I will say that I do think there should have been at least one other Knox player sent off.

M

meathead

I completely agree that Knox retaliated which started it, but the Knox player was sent off for third man in. The reason that he was third man in was because three waverley players were belting the knox halfback. One other Knox player got belted by 3 Waverley players. I know both him and the halfback off the field and they are two of the nicest blokes I have ever met off the field, they did not deserve that treatment one bit. It says a lot about waverley players when they cant take a man on one on one and only take them when they have two guys to hold the guys arms down. An example was when ingram-melsom pushed and grabbed lawley, and didn't do anything when he realised it was just one-on-one.

So are you saying that the knox player was sent off for 5th man in? The ref mustve really been blind then, explains the dodgy calls all game though

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
So are you saying that the knox player was sent off for 5th man in? The ref mustve really been blind then, explains the dodgy calls all game though

When I say third man in, I don't mean the actual number. Third man is the term for a player who runs in not to break up the fight, but to aggravate it.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Wouldnt one of those waverley players been the third man in then?

Trying to work out if this is a gee up or whether you don't understand rugby as your post suggests.

"Third man in" is not a literal definition / descriptor, rather it “describes” the player who has travelled a distance to engage with a melee already in progress and disregards the number of players already involved.

Quite typically it also involves a cheap or blind shot on a player, commonly called a king hit.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, from reading this, here's what I learned about the brawl at Knox. There was a high tackle. Players ran in. Lots of them, it seems. Two players were carded.

The rest seems to be not much more than people letting off steam at each other.

In all my years of playing and watching rugby, I've never been able to understand why players do completely dumb, undisciplined things. There was a time when players felt they could weigh into a brawl and not get punished by more than a penalty. But not for the last ten years. In today's game, joining a brawl is asking for trouble. It's always the player who joins the brawl late who ends up getting sent off - so why not stay out of it and let the referee do his job?

My sense from these posts is that there was quite a bit of ill-feeling in the game. That disappoints me. It's schoolboy rugby, for God's sake. Look - I can tell you the result of the 1979 rugby Tests (Ireland beat Australia twice, thanks to Olly Campbell's boot, but Australia upset the All Blacks at the SCG). I can't tell you who won Knox v Waverley that year. No-one can, unless they were actually playing the game. This was a struggle to see who would finish second and third in the second-tier private school competition. If you can't enjoy a game like that without the reported ill-feeling on the sidelines and at the after-match function, then maybe it's time to find another game to play.

M

meathead

Waverley were the outright winners of The Henry Plume Shield in 1979, going through the CAS season undefeated, but yes snort i do understand and agree with your point. "Brawling" should be left out of the game, and if players wish to do so, maybe a switch to sports such as rugby league would be more suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.