• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Option1

Interesting debate for the number 10 jersey.

Unfortunately for Clark, I don't think the conditions favored him today and he struggled a bit to unleash the talented back 3 that CAS have got.
He's an undeniably skillful player but to be honest I'm not sold that 10 is his best position.

Vevers was very good in the 2nds, providing great structure in the backs and taking the line on to score one of the tries himself. A solid defender as well.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I really wish I had gone to the game today. Sounds like they were good.

I work down the road but couldn't get time off. :-(

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Yes , interesting comments re the two five eighths.
Bear in mind however , Clark's opposition was the CHS 1's , Vevers was the CHS 2's , & I felt there was a clear difference in standard between the two.
More importantly Clarks specific opposition was the encumbent Australian schoolboys 5/8 from last year , & presumably expected to fill
that spot again this year.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
One game does not warrant selection. Both sides have a handful of talent that I am sure are being considered. CAS definitely the better side today (obviously). After the performance against CCC, the game surprised me. CHS still have ISA and GPS to play. It is Rugby, anything can happen. Ask the Wallabies.

Bill McLean (32)
Bear in mind however , Clark's opposition was the CHS 1's , Vevers was the CHS 2's , & I felt there was a clear difference in standard between the two.
More importantly Clarks specific opposition was the encumbent Australian schoolboys 5/8 from last year , & presumably expected to fill

Touché!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There are some more reports on the game on this thread:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/nsw-schools-2012-and-trial-games.10778/page-2

Because this thread were are in now is for CAS only and any trial games involve another team, please use the NSW Schools and Trial Games thread for all trial games - including CAS trial games. Otherwise folks will be confused about which thread to look at.

From now on please use this thread only for discussion of the CAS teams for the rest of the trials (not the games themselves) and, obviously, for discussion on games between CAS schools later on.

Thank you.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)

With backline players I only look at what each individual brings to his own performance and how that then adds to the team performance. In the backs, rarely does the opposition player impact with his opposition pysically, but in skills areas they do. In other words, how McIntyre performed had very little to do with how Clarke played and why I don't think either of them played well in the game yesterday. I don't remember them physicalling engaging with each other in the match once and it also enables a judgement on how Vevers performed. It is also disrespectful to ascertain that those in the II's are of an inferior standard as it is only the opinion of one set of selectors that has determined that, and like bumholes everybody's got one. You only have to contribute on this forum to know that.

Bill McLean (32)
Young Clark is taking quite a battering in thread at the moment so I am going to come to his defence. In doing so please do not accuse me of bias toward Clark or his school team Trinity. There are notable commentators who will come to my aid and attest to this fact (or confirm it for yourself and read my earlier posts in the 'U/16 2011' thread from last year).

First and foremost, Clark is the first to admit his defence is not the best. To his absolute credit, in 2011, this young lad trialled for the Balmain Tiger HMC side to improve this aspect of his game and got in! He actually performed quite well! Admittedly the Tigers were not best team that year, but what impressed me was his proactiveness in actually seeking to improve a deficiency in his game and using the best code to improve the same (and i am talking just defence here). I'm sorry but in any man's language that is courage to go to a sport where you know that the big boys are going to sent your way week in week out!

Rugby is primarily an attacking game, and defence has always been the poor cousin. Shit, if I were to try and count Wallaby fly-halfs that had poor defence over the years I'd have to take off my shoes and socks for I would certainly lose count!

The lad is not blessed with size, but what he lacks here makes up for in attacking prowess and skill! I have heard rumours that he is a bit of a smart ass at times, but hey, tell which adolescent boy isn't!

Ultimately he has very supportive parents, as I have seen on this site for myself, which is more than I can say for a lot of lads I have come across in my time!

If your reading this 'Jamo's Mum' tell your lad to keep his chin up and do what he does best!

Fendsbrah

Frank Row (1)
Newbie I agree with what your saying, and Jamo has certainly proved himself week in, week out for the Trinity boys. However, yesterday he lacked prowess in attack and certainly displayed poor defence. Yes the big boys ran at him but he consistently tackled them on the chest and consistently got brushed off. Good on him for trying to improve is defence however it still isn't quite good enough for CAS ones and until he learns to tackle below the waist he shouldnt be in ones.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
First and foremost, Clark is the first to admit his defence is not the best.
Rugby is primarily an attacking game, and defence has always been the poor cousin. Shit, if I were to try and count Wallaby fly-halfs that had poor defence over the years I'd have to take off my shoes and socks for I would certainly lose count!
Where were the CAS piggies, when CHS big boppas were lining up on the flyhalf?
No doubt the CAS pigs will be under more strain when they meet GPS, so Clark should expect to be on his own most of the game.It will be a thorough examination for the CAS 10.
No doubt he is aware that his defensive performance against GPS will determine his fate this season.

V

Veteran101

Dont know if yous know, Jamo and his family is going threw a rough time like a really rough time. Jamo is alot more talented then what he did display. Im pretty sure any player going through what he is going through will drop in performance. So insted of attacking this kid, Put his shoes on and walk around in them.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
no9........re# 590

I don't agree that back line players rarely impact with their opposition physically, however I didn't
suggest that that was the basis of my comparison between Clark & McIntyre on Thursday .
My opinion was based on a comparison of their overall performance .
Certainly the CHS forwards targeted Clarle's defence , so it was not surprising that on occasions he was found out .
The CAS forwards did not focus on McIntyre in the same way , & this was because the CAS side
concentrated on getting the ball out wide , & it was able to do this with some success due to the
service & efficiency of the 1/2 & 5/8 .This in turn put pressure on the CHS outside backs & highlighted
some defensive weaknesses in them .
Secondly , I watched both CHS 1's & CHS 2's , & formed my own opinion that the CHS 1's were a
better side than the CHS 2's .This is totally independent of the CHS selectors opinion .Do you think there wasn't a clear difference ?
Why you think that forming my own opinion after watching the 2 teams perform is disrespectful , is beyond me .Is that more disrespectful than your comments about the merits of certain players ?
I don't hold any brief for Clarke , but it is clear from reading a number of the posts in this forum over
a number of weeks , that no matter how he plays , some people here are going to criticise him.
I don't think Clarke set the world on fire on Thursday ,(although he did plenty of good things ) but I feel he had a better game in comparison to the very talented McIntyre , who is capable of much better , & who I feel has a promising future in senior Rugby.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
next weeks fixtures
Barker v Cranbrook
Waverly v Knox
Trinity v Aloysius

it seems Cranbrook has always been a 'nuisance' to barker, in that the Barker boys may always expect a comfortable win over them (given their spot on the table) but Cranbrook prove otherwise. From 2010 this has shown to be a consistent pattern and I dont expect the trend to come to an end here... I say Barker by 10, with home advantage (they're getting decent home crowds these days, much better than when I was a student)

Knox having upset trinity dont look too far out of their depth in the waverly fixture (despite last rounds result) but a Knox win would still be an upset in my eyes. However, with Creeley back, and a few wins under their belt i think the result will be alot closer and an easier game to watch for the Knox fans, Waverly by 7

Trinity v Aloys isn't a hard one to decide, with Clunies-Ross back I'd say trinity to have a repeat performance of last round 14+

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I find many of the comments about Clark here weirdly personal. He's a very talented player who's great fun to watch. Yes, his tackling technique is not great, but no-one who has watched him this year could complain about his courage or commitment in defence. His goalkicking has been inconsistent, but that's hardly a character flaw. And sometimes he takes questionable options. But, with all that said, he's a great attacking player, a slippery runner and a great distributor of the ball. And his tactical kicking is second to none in the CAS competition.

So, feel free to criticise him (I have, often, if you look back at my posts), but keep a sense of perspective in it.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agreed with Rtd. Cranbrook have some sort of curse over barkers 1st half play. However the crowds always make a difference. Has anyone else seen barkers 'red fever' video?

Knox v waverley will be surprisingly close in my eyes, I'm going for waverley up by 5

trinity will romp aloys, sorry aloys supporters

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agreed with Rtd. Cranbrook have some sort of curse over barkers 1st half play. However the crowds always make a difference. Has anyone else seen barkers 'red fever' video?

Knox v waverley will be surprisingly close in my eyes, I'm going for waverley up by 5

trinity will romp aloys, sorry aloys supporters

Indeed I have seen that video, it was a link off footage from the barker/knox game... I found it quite amusing, but the Barker boys are clearly getting into their sport this year which is always good. That volleyball player seems like a real character, and the squash guy is priceless at the end... Are you trying to diss it or merely publicise it? regardless UP THE REDS, it definitely got me infected

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Geez, St Aloysius seems like a nursery of quality backs these days. For a small school, it sure is pumping out quality. Pat McCabe, Bernard Foley and Tom Kingston all recent products. Agree Vevers is talented, on today's form he deserves a shot against GPS 1's.

Ill throw my 2 cents worth in. Vevers played very very well, so well in fact that i think on form alone he deserves a crack at gps 1's. HOWEVER, the team will not be picked on form alone. Were in a situation where jamieson clark, who played CAS 1's in year 10 is being outplayed by a player who did not represent any higher then Aloysius 1sts last year. So what to do? drop the freak of a kid who is undeniably oozing with talent in jamieson, or pick the team on form?

If it was me id have vevers at 10, jamo at 15, pato and clunies ross on the wings, my god what a back 3

Status
Not open for further replies.