• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
With Knox facing Waverley and Trinity in the next two weeks, it looks as though it could be a long dark season for them. Possibly four consecutive losses, something that hasn't happened for a while. And with Barker getting a convincing win in the 2nds, the recent 'golden age' of Rugby at Knox may be gone.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Yes-watched Knox for second week in a row yesterday. Without Creely & Spain- the former out for 4+ weeks- I believe this could be the weakest Knox Open group in the last 20 years.
Ball retention is a major worry and there is no aggression in the forwards. THe only saving grace might be that the Coaching team, Chuck Ardron & Peter Bromley have great track records, but with this group they will need to perform miracles.
Having said all that Barker in reality were not that much better- the overall standard of the match was pretty poor. It would appear that Trinity/Waverly will dominate CAS selection this year.

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
I actually thought that the ref did not really favour either side, in a game which probably wasn't his best. At times he tended to give more calls to one team over the other but really, at the end of the day, those calls probably cancelled each other out.
I agree Piglet. From an objective eye the ref was not that bad, and if penalty count was 21-2 then I must have been watching another game. This kind of reporting is very unfair on the ref and the game. Also, what does smelling dodgy mean? If the ref was biased he would not have sin binned Whicker.

HiTh

Stan Wickham (3)
the only mistake was the ref not checking with his touch judge before awarding the last try.
Completely agree doinBRA, linesmen was about to inform him it was held up. Interested to get your thoughts on the fullback battle for CAS, with Paterson and Clunies-Ross if he is fit?

O

onthewatch

who were the stand outs from aloys and cranbrook? harrison williams would have been dominate and will be pushing to make cas 1 this year for sure. Who is solid in the back line and apparently cranbrook backs were dominant over alloys!

CAS Footy

Peter Burge (5)
who were the stand outs from aloys and cranbrook? harrison williams would have been dominate and will be pushing to make cas 1 this year for sure. Who is solid in the back line and apparently cranbrook backs were dominant over alloys!

Hugh Summerhays the number 7 from Cranbrook was man of the match in my books. His workrate was exceptional and he recorded several pilfers in key moments of the game. The kid is only in year 10 and has shown great promise. Tom Fay was also instrumental and will be pushing for a CAS 1's spot. As for the two back lines, aloys had about 70% of possession so it was hard to get a good read on the Cranbrook back line. Williams was good in the tight areas of the game however he dropped the ball after beating the cranbrook fullback with the line about 5 meters away and when aloys had a penalty with about 5 minutes to go, he kicked the ball dead.

doinBRA

Bob McCowan (2)
Completely agree doinBRA, linesmen was about to inform him it was held up. Interested to get your thoughts on the fullback battle for CAS, with Paterson and Clunies-Ross if he is fit?
depends wat selectors want to be honest

HiTh

Stan Wickham (3)
depends wat selectors want to be honest
Very true, however I think patersons counter attacking game is extremely dangerous, and those insightful runs from deep inside his own half could be exactly what CAS needs this year to beat the force of the GPS

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Waverley fullback was very impressive when I saw him play.It would take a very good player to be selected before him in any CAS side.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interested to get your thoughts on the fullback battle for CAS, with Paterson and Clunies-Ross if he is fit?

If fit (and he's been injured for much of the last season and a half), Clunies-Ross is the most dangerous attacking player in the competition, and he has to be in CAS 1sts. If the selectors want to fit in Paterson as well, then choosing Clunies-Ross on the wing answers the question, although I think that wastes his talents a little, because the ball would come to him less often. Does anyone know the extent of the injury, and how long Clunies-Ross will be out?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
why does trinity starlett number 10, jamo clark attack in number 10, but defend in number 15. Is it because he is too scared or too soft?

I'm reluctant to respond to this, because sneering personal attacks on players shouldn't be in this forum.

Still, stripped of the personal abuse, the question is a legitimate one, so here's my view. I have watched Clark's defence closely this year in the few games I have seen. He is certainly not scared to defend, nor is he soft. he goes in willingly, and works hard in defence.

On the other hand, his technique is poor. He tends to tackle with his arms rather than with his shoulder, which means that often he has to hang on to the player he has tackled and wait for someone else to intervene with a more decisive hit.

My guess is that there are two reasons for taking him to full-back in defence. The first is to remove the predictable opposition tactic of targetting the playmaker by running big forwards at him all day. I'd do it, if I were coaching against Trinity. The second reason is that, with Clunies-Ross out injured, it gives allows Trinity to return kicks with a counter-attacking runner at the back. I have no inside knowledge on this - it just seems to me, as someone who has played and watched a lot of Rugby over the years, that those are the reasons.

By the way, ILM, see how it's possible to analyse what happens on a Rugby field without having to accuse someone of being "too soft" or "too scared"?

D

dirty_BMG

Very true, however I think patersons counter attacking game is extremely dangerous, and those insightful runs from deep inside his own half could be exactly what CAS needs this year to beat the force of the GPS
@HiTh, yes i agree, although Paterson wasn't the only individual that proved to be dangerous. His support of the centres and wingers must be given credit where due as it was Waverley's backline that seemed to be the undermining of Trinity. Although an underweight pack, Waverley's forward stood up and put up a fight against the dominant Trinity forwards. Orr proved to be a significant threat to Waverley through the game, but was matched by Waverley's number 7, Johnson who has been a consistent player. All in all, I'm very interested to see the result of their next match with both teams set to dominate the CAS competition.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
There have been rumours that the ref was the brother of Trinity's halfback in 1st XV

Yes, dirty_BMG, and there are rumours that you have unnatural relations with farm animals.

See how easy it is to do that?

If you have actual knowledge of something, then post away. If you just want to spread unverified smears, then go away until you grow up.

C

Casnovian

If fit (and he's been injured for much of the last season and a half), Clunies-Ross is the most dangerous attacking player in the competition, and he has to be in CAS 1sts. If the selectors want to fit in Paterson as well, then choosing Clunies-Ross on the wing answers the question, although I think that wastes his talents a little, because the ball would come to him less often. Does anyone know the extent of the injury, and how long Clunies-Ross will be out?

Understand Henry may be out for up to four weeks - that was a conservative view last Monday. Maybe back sooner depending on response to treatment.

C

Casnovian

What goes around comes around!

Heard a story on the weekend that a University of Sydney Colts player got pounded unmercifully to a "crying and gibbering" mess recently.

Same player was responsible for blatantly punching and breaking a winger's nose (one half of his size) in the first few minutes of a game in 2010. He did get red carded on the day and got a slap on his wrist from his school.

What is that dish best served cold?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Trinity won through a larger forward pack and more accurate goal kicker, nothing more and nothing less.
Referee was flustered and understandably fatigued by doing 2 games. Fact is that he ignored the linesman's feedback that the game winning try was held up and awarded it regardless.
Trinity blocked off ball at the breakdown by employing Joey's tactics of players hitting the ground and thus denying the opposition the opportunity to counter ruck. They probably did this tactically as they were counter rucked off the park by the smaller, more aggressive and infinitely lower Waverley pack for the first 30 minutes. Sunday's effort by the Crusaders forwards employed the same ball retention tactics.
Too many Trinity forwards are unfit and lazy and for a supposed strong team, they lacked urgency and any real structure, particularly in defence.
Waverley lacked composure when in good field positions through over exuberant defence and lack of patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.