• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DungeonLord9

NICE love the last sentence, all this hate for waverley where's it come from.

To be honest dane eshay inman, in all my years of competitive opens rugby (1 year) i really don't like the way they play and the language that comes out of those boys mouths is Atrocious - lets not forget we've got mothers in the crowds.

As a school i would give them maybe a 3/10 and in my books that just doesn't make it - gotta get at least 6

doinBRA

Bob McCowan (2)
To be honest dane eshay inman, in all my years of competitive opens rugby (1 year) i really don't like the way they play and the language that comes out of those boys mouths is Atrocious - lets not forget we've got mothers in the crowds.

As a school i would give them maybe a 3/10 and in my books that just doesn't make it - gotta get at least 6
build a bridge and get over it champ

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Gentlemen, if only the depth and strength of the commentary was about meaningful and useful observations about CAS Rugby, rather than juvenile, asinine, pathetic, self-glorification and nasty digs about other schools this thread would be useful. Currently it is descending towards an area where harsh treatment by the moderators makes sense and is appropriate. Could we perhaps move the talk back to intelligent and critical talk about the Rugby? (And before anyone says I am an 'old fart', it may be the couple of bottles of the 2003 Leconfield Cab Sav talking...but the occassional degeneration of this thread does no one any favours)

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Gentlemen, if only the depth and strength of the commentary was about meaningful and useful observations about CAS Rugby, rather than juvenile, asinine, pathetic, self-glorification and nasty digs about other schools this thread would be useful. Currently it is descending towards an area where harsh treatment by the moderators makes sense and is appropriate. Could we perhaps move the talk back to intelligent and critical talk about the Rugby? (And before anyone says I am an 'old fart', it may be the couple of bottles of the 2003 Leconfield Cab Sav talking...but the occassional degeneration of this thread does no one any favours)
Agree - too much nonsense - this website has NO influence on rep selections so spouting on about such stuff in an attempt to influence selection is of no benefit. Try to say some interesting constructive stuff - it is after all schoolboy rugby.
Can we talk about wine instead? How's the 03 leconfield holding up?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree - too much nonsense - this website has NO influence on rep selections so spouting on about such stuff in an attempt to influence selection is of no benefit. Try to say some interesting constructive stuff - it is after all schoolboy rugby.
Can we talk about wine instead? How's the 03 leconfield holding up?

Keeping with the wine theme, I don't think this is a vintage year for CAS. Form against the ISA teams was poor and the standard in round 1 appears to have not improved. Barker seem to be the most consistent and that may be all that is required to win in this comp. The scoreline in the Aloy's/Cranbrook game tells you there's not much there and Waverleys hopes after the win over Scots were smashed by Augustines easy win. Knox have been poor for a while now and Trinity are performing on reputation (the forwards are not that good).

T

The_Good_Old_Days

DungeonLord9, in all my years of attending rugby matches i can honestly say Waverley are not alone on the bad mouthing and their behaviour. I do speak from a neutral view, and yes i have noticed at times Waverley do tend to lose their temper before others and this inn return causes them heavy consequences, that is the game of rugby. There have been far less poor behaviour from Waverley due to stricter refs and i dare say these boys have been warned on their behaviour. I tihnk it is all about the maturity levels and it is not just Waverley who have lacked in this attribute. We have seen many cases where Trinity use their brute size to overstand their opponents, Barker who have been able to get under the opponent's skin along with Aloys, and Knox whcih apparently they can come across as snobby and spoilt but still perform great rugby all in all. Fact is Waverley cannot be targeted and neither any other school. This is rugby.

C

casking

any major injuries coming out of round 1? i hear clunies-ross from trinity will be injured for 3-4 weeks, luke vevers from aloys to return this week and waverleys tom morton out for 5 weeks

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
cranbrook lost to barker 19- 23 good game the cranbrook boys were going off. barker good in the seconds aswell. does anyone have any idea where u can find results for younger games , such as 13a, 14a, 15a?

ABOYS2012

Bob McCowan (2)
Aloys 29 - 47 Trinity
Cranbrook 19 - 23 Barker
Knox 29 - 71 Waverley (from what I've read)

I was at the Aloys game this afternoon, and despite a 15 minute drop in intensity (where Trinity put on 3 tries), Aloys really stepped up this week. Being able to put 29 points on Trinity is a great feat, and with improvements in tackling and intensity, Aloys could show case some great talent. Mitch Wood (7) and Harrison Williams led the forward pack, even with the clear size difference against the Trinity monsters. Cameron Orr and Jamo Clark were playing very well again, and with Clunious-Ross out, Number 15 provided good speed and defence. Good game all round.

How did the Barker/Cranbrook game go? Who was playing well?

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Aloys 29 - 47 Trinity
Cranbrook 19 - 23 Barker
Knox 29 - 71 Waverley (from what I've read).

How did the Barker/Cranbrook game go? Who was playing well?
Cranbrook lead early, had the oppurtunity to go in front with a short time to go. Barker inside played well, Cranbrook 8 certain for cas 1sts. what school do u think has the best support for home games??

L

Lachlan Brown

Before everyone starts paying the s*** out of knox lets just get a couple of things straight.
  1. half time was 27-19 to waverly and that could of been different if knox didnt bomb a 100% certain try...after that bombed try knox let them score with like 1minute to go before half time. so the half time score could of been 26-20 to knox. COULD OF BEEN!!
  2. It was only 15minutes of the worst defensive game of rugby in the 2nd half which led to the massive score line... the rest of the game was good and knox was actually playing well and if they continued to concentrate they could of won. (could of won)
  3. Waverly played very well but knox was taken pretty much single handily by the 15. Paterson? during that 15minutes of the worst defensive effort i have ever seen
  4. The knox backline is poor and is very injury ravaged with players like spain and creeley out and with players replacing them are players who didnt play rugby last year, 3rds rugby last year.

But that score like of 69-31 could of been so much different if knox learned how to tackle and didnt fall asleep in that 15minute period...but knox would be a good side and would be competitive this year if they learn how to tackle and can concentrate for 70minutes.

TO ALL KNOX PLAYERS START PLAYING WITH SOME HEART
    END SCORE 69-31

p.s. when watching the game from the crowd you could hear waverly players being arrogant and the most un respective people and just generally giving there school the worst name in all of sydney...and should be kicked out of CAS competition in all sports or get rid of the pieces of trash out of the school.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 47 St Aloysius 29

Apart from Clunies-Ross, Trinity was missing Kotobalavu and Morsello. Pack moved to outside-centre, Roberts was full-back and Coffill filled in at hooker. St Aloysius had in the ball in the first couple of minutes and only an excellent covering tackle from Clark saved a try in the corner. From the line-out, St Aloysius won the ball and rolled over: 5-0. St Aloysius worked hard to spoil Trinity's ball, but often gave away panalties at the breakdown: Clark missed two shots at penalty goal, one very difficult, one rather easier. He made up for that with a great break which took play close to the line, and Cameron Orr crashed over: 5-5. Another infringement at the ruck, and Clark kicked the penalty for an 8-5 lead. The Trinity back line seemed to be playing with much more confidence and there was some powerful running from the forwards, especially the formidable Junior Satiu, while for Aloysius, Rory Vevers always looked to attack from full back. Trinity won yet more penalties at the ruck (the referee issued warnings but never went for a card) and from a tap near the line Orr went over under the posts. Clark kicked his second from five shots: 15-5. Orr, who I know has been injured, looks as much as 10 kilos overweight, but it didn't seem to diminish his impact or workrate. St Aloysius won a line-out about 10 metres out and rolled over again (again the try scorer was under a heap of bodies and I couldn't tell who it was). Vevers converted: 15-12. Clark replied with another penalty: 18-12, and just before half time Vevers missed a shot at penalty that would have closed the gap to three points.

Trinity began the second half horribly. Clark sliced his kick-off, which was returned deep into Trinity's corner. Trinity tried to run out of defence, and the isolated ball carrier gave away a penalty for not releasing, which Vevers kicked: 18-15. At which point, Trinity changed gear. Clark marked an aimless kick inside his own quarter, and surprised the defence by taking a tap and making a weaving run up the left side before kicking for his winger. The ball rolled into touch, but from a scrum soon after, Ola Moala (back from the blood bin) picked up the ball at No8 and crashed over. Clark converted: 25-15. Jacob Roberts made a terrific break, butchered the try by ignoring his unmarked winger, Rihann Barkley-Brown, but flanker Rory Hurst got to the breakdown first, lobbed a pass to Barkley-Brown, and the try was scored in the corner. 30-15. Vevers went off at that point with what looked like a broken collarbone (but that's just a guess). Hurst had his best game at this level, and a couple of minutes later he charged down a clearing kick just outside the quarter and won the chase to the ball to score. 37-12 with Clark's goal. Now the Trinity players were lining up for chances to score. Ola Moala ignored the three unmarked players outside him and decided he could beat the two or three defenders between him and the line. He was right, but it would have been better Rugby to get the ball wide. 42-15. Tim Russell, the St Aloysius half-back, left the field injured. Connor Finn made a fantastic 50-metre run which would have been even better if he'd released the ball to the men outside him, but after he was tackled Brent Whicker gathered the ball and went over in the corner - 47-15. St Aloysius' winger Shaun Townsend swooped onto one of Clark's trademark long passes and ran the intercept in under the posts and a few minutes later, he was over again in the corner after St Aloysius worked an overlap from a 5 metre scrum. Harrison Williams kicked an excellent goal from the sideline. So it finished up 47-29. Possibly Trinity took its foot off the pedal in the last few minutes - there were a heap of subs with numbers like 18, 20 and 23 running around - but full credit for St Aloysius for putting in until the end.

It's hard to imagine Trinity will be happy with this. They're still unbeaten, and still winning because they have so many talented individuals. Teamwork is lacking, and it was depressing to see the number of times players took on the defence themselves when they had unmarked players in better positions around them. Clark wouldn't be happy with his kicking - 5 from 11 wasn't great, although he did some wonderful things in attack, and (critics of his defence should note) made two try-saving tackles as last line of defence.

The fact that Trinity leaked 29 points to a team that couldn't score against Cranbrook will worry them, and the fact that Cranbrook got so close to Barker is proof that next week's game could be a very tough one. Trinity still looks vulnerable in the lineout (two tries were scored from line-outs close to the line) and out wide (where two tries were scored). St Aloysius had plenty of practice kicking off, but Trinity won very few of these restarts. Aloysius also competed well in the scrums. In attack, Trinity still has a heap of dangerous runners but very few players show any awareness of how to position or release their supports. They need to start playing more like a team.

For St Aloysius, Vevers was good while he was on the field and Harrison Williams worked hard all day.

I notice for the first time that the St Aloysius home programme included the year in which each of its players entered the school. The reason's obvious - look, no imports here, folks! But why do it? Is it an excuse made before the game starts ("look, we're going to lose, but only because we have no imports") or a declaration of righteousness ("we're morally superior to you because we have no imports")? Who knows? Whatever the reason, it strikes an unpleasantly snarky note. If the school is interested in displaying its purity, maybe it should have a word to the group of old boys who congregate in the far corner of the ground and amuse themselves by telling the opposition goal kicker, as he moves in to kick, that he "has a small dick".

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
"Kaffir" needs to grow up and move on.
Waverley defeated Knox 69-31 after leading 29-19 at half time.
Again Waverley's smaller forwards took it to their much larger opponents but it was their outstanding backline that proved the difference.
It was a good battle for the first 20 minutes as Knox got a roll-on with their forwards and starved Waverley of possession and Waverley counter attacked with scraps. The Knox scrum also had the early ascendency and were even penalised for extending their shove too far, such was their dominance.
I lost count of the number of tries scored. NOTE to Knox School: Use your fancy scoreboard for more than just showing each team's totals. Take down the adverts that dominated the screen, turn the clock on, and show the number of tries, goals etc.
Waverley scored a combo of team and brilliant individual tries, many from long range as Knox seemed clueless in how to stop them. Knox also made the too often fatal mistake of kicking the ball away to Waverley's back three and then only reformed when standing back behind their line for the Waverley conversion attempt. Their backs also ran across field far too often and wasted hard earned possession.
For Knox Knight, Kitchen and Nutbeen toiled hard all day and for Waverley Patterson was absolutely outstanding. I've seen a lot of schoolboy rugby over many years and this kid is special. He is playing his game 2 and 3 steps and phases ahead of the opposition, has a strong motor, plenty of pace, a great fend and tackles well too. He also kicks goals.
Plenty of other long range tries (50 metres plus) were scored by a range of individuals from Waverley including O'Donnell, Wileman, Cupitt-Osborne and others. Johnson was strong in traffic and linked well with his backs.
Knox scored a couple of late consolation tries when down by 62-19 with the game all but over.
Knox coaches either didn't do their homework or the players ignored the game plan or both, as Knox were very poor in most facets of play.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
  1. half time was 27-19 to waverly and that could of been different if knox didnt bomb a 100% certain try...after that bombed try knox let them score with like 1minute to go before half time. so the half time score could of been 26-20 to knox. COULD OF BEEN!!
  2. It was only 15minutes of the worst defensive game of rugby in the 2nd half which led to the massive score line... the rest of the game was good and knox was actually playing well and if they continued to concentrate they could of won. (could of won)
    p.s. when watching the game from the crowd you could hear waverly players being arrogant and the most un respective people and just generally giving there school the worst name in all of sydney...and should be kicked out of CAS competition in all sports or get rid of the pieces of trash out of the school.

I won't argue with you about the Rugby. You were there, I guess, and I wasn't.

But have they given up teaching English at your school? "Could of" does not exist in the English language. Maybe you mean "could have". Maybe when you say "un respective" you mean "disrespectful". My impression is that you approach grammar the way the Knox backs approach tackling.

But you make a good point. It's schoolboy Rugby, people. I watch it a bit, though I prefer the Shute Shield. But in the scheme of things it doesn't matter much. Go along to a thrid grade game in Premier Rugby and you'll see a higher standard. So why do so many people get so worked up about it? So far this year, I've been disappointed to see a few Trinity players concentrate more on sledging their opponents than on the game, and two pretty nasty efforts from groups of old boys at St Pats and St Aloysius. Surely there's no place for this sort of stuff.

No-one sensible wants anyone kicked out of any competitions. But it would be nice to see the nasty stuff cleaned out.

ABOYS2012

Bob McCowan (2)
Trinity 47 St Aloysius 29

Apart from Clunies-Ross, Trinity was missing Kotobalavu and Morsello. Pack moved to outside-centre, Roberts was full-back and Coffill filled in at hooker. St Aloysius had in the ball in the first couple of minutes and only an excellent covering tackle from Clark saved a try in the corner. From the line-out, St Aloysius won the ball and rolled over: 5-0. St Aloysius worked hard to spoil Trinity's ball, but often gave away panalties at the breakdown: Clark missed two shots at penalty goal, one very difficult, one rather easier. He made up for that with a great break which took play close to the line, and Cameron Orr crashed over: 5-5. Another infringement at the ruck, and Clark kicked the penalty for an 8-5 lead. The Trinity back line seemed to be playing with much more confidence and there was some powerful running from the forwards, especially the formidable Junior Satiu, while for Aloysius, Rory Vevers always looked to attack from full back. Trinity won yet more penalties at the ruck (the referee issued warnings but never went for a card) and from a tap near the line Orr went over under the posts. Clark kicked his second from five shots: 15-5. Orr, who I know has been injured, looks as much as 10 kilos overweight, but it didn't seem to diminish his impact or workrate. St Aloysius won a line-out about 10 metres out and rolled over again (again the try scorer was under a heap of bodies and I couldn't tell who it was). Vevers converted: 15-12. Clark replied with another penalty: 18-12, and just before half time Vevers missed a shot at penalty that would have closed the gap to three points.

Trinity began the second half horribly. Clark sliced his kick-off, which was returned deep into Trinity's corner. Trinity tried to run out of defence, and the isolated ball carrier gave away a penalty for not releasing, which Vevers kicked: 18-15. At which point, Trinity changed gear. Clark marked an aimless kick inside his own quarter, and surprised the defence by taking a tap and making a weaving run up the left side before kicking for his winger. The ball rolled into touch, but from a scrum soon after, Ola Moala (back from the blood bin) picked up the ball at No8 and crashed over. Clark converted: 25-15. Jacob Roberts made a terrific break, butchered the try by ignoring his unmarked winger, Rihann Barkley-Brown, but flanker Rory Hurst got to the breakdown first, lobbed a pass to Barkley-Brown, and the try was scored in the corner. 30-15. Vevers went off at that point with what looked like a broken collarbone (but that's just a guess). Hurst had his best game at this level, and a couple of minutes later he charged down a clearing kick just outside the quarter and won the chase to the ball to score. 37-12 with Clark's goal. Now the Trinity players were lining up for chances to score. Ola Moala ignored the three unmarked players outside him and decided he could beat the two or three defenders between him and the line. He was right, but it would have been better Rugby to get the ball wide. 42-15. Tim Russell, the St Aloysius half-back, left the field injured. Connor Finn made a fantastic 50-metre run which would have been even better if he'd released the ball to the men outside him, but after he was tackled Brent Whicker gathered the ball and went over in the corner - 47-15. St Aloysius' winger Sion Freed swooped onto one of Clark's trademark long passes and ran the intercept in under the posts and a few minutes later, he was over again in the corner after St Aloysius worked an overlap from a 5 metre scrum. Harrison Williams kicked an excellent goal from the sideline. So it finished up 47-29. Possibly Trinity took its foot off the pedal in the last few minutes - there were a heap of subs with numbers like 18, 20 and 23 running around - but full credit for St Aloysius for putting in until the end.

It's hard to imagine Trinity will be happy with this. They're still unbeaten, and still winning because they have so many talented individuals. Teamwork is lacking, and it was depressing to see the number of times players took on the defence themselves when they had unmarked players in better positions around them. Clark wouldn't be happy with his kicking - 5 from 11 wasn't great, although he did some wonderful things in attack, and (critics of his defence should note) made two try-saving tackles as last line of defence.

The fact that Trinity leaked 29 points to a team that couldn't score against Cranbrook will worry them, and the fact that Cranbrook got so close to Barker is proof that next week's game could be a very tough one. Trinity still looks vulnerable in the lineout (two tries were scored from line-outs close to the line) and out wide (where two tries were scored). St Aloysius had plenty of practice kicking off, but Trinity won very few of these restarts. Aloysius also competed well in the scrums. In attack, Trinity still has a heap of dangerous runners but very few players show any awareness of how to position or release their supports. They need to start playing more like a team.

For St Aloysius, Vevers was good while he was on the field and Harrison Williams worked hard all day.

I notice for the first time that the St Aloysius home programme included the year in which each of its players entered the school. The reason's obvious - look, no imports here, folks! But why do it? Is it an excuse made before the game starts ("look, we're going to lose, but only because we have no imports") or a declaration of righteousness ("we're morally superior to you because we have no imports")? Who knows? Whatever the reason, it strikes an unpleasantly snarky note. If the school is interested in displaying its purity, maybe it should have a word to the group of old boys who congregate in the far corner of the ground and amuse themselves by telling the opposition goal kicker, as he moves in to kick, that he "has a small dick".

I agree with everything you said. However, firstly, it was winger Shaun Townsend (not Sion Freed) who scored the double. Secondly, Aloys have recently brought in that 'year of commencement' next to the players, maybe it is to show they are not importing. I think the reason they did it is to spark a reaction, one that you have provided, so that people do think about home-grown talent and importing, but i agree, a tad snarky. But overall, this game will be a shock and a feeling of disappointment to for Trinity, knowing that they let in 29 points to Aloys, but conversely will provide the much needed confidence to the Aloys boys, who come up against a Barker team, who only just downed Cranbrook.

Status
Not open for further replies.