• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I have only seen Trinity and St Aloysius.

From St Aloysius, Harrison Williams is a good candidate. He's very good in the air (lineouts and restarts) and gets around the park well.

From Trinity, Clunies-Ross, if fit, must be in the mix at wing or full back. Morsello, if fit, is worth a run at hooker. Satiu has been spectacular this year and needs to be there. Then you get a problem. Orr and McLean are very good ball-running front rowers but Trinity's abundance of riches in this department has pushed McLean into the second row. You wouldn't pick him in the second row in a representative team, I suspect. So the selectors have a tough choice. I guess they pick Orr in the position he plays for his school, but it's not an easy call. Neither Malaki nor Ola would be out of place at the next level. Clark should be the fly half. Trinity has won something like its last thirteen Associated Schools competition games so if they get seven or so players in the CAS 1sts, no-one could complain too much.

From Waverley, Whitaker and Paterson must be in with a good chance.

Cranbrook and Barker will have good candidates I haven't yet seen this year. Barker's winger, Haltmeier, impressed me last year, though no-one else ever says anything about him.
Harrison Orr played 2nd row for Trinity last year , but was selected in the back row for CAS 1 .

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Harrison Orr played 2nd row for Trinity last year , but was selected in the back row for CAS 1 .

Yes. I don't say that representative selectors can't or won't pick players in different positions to those in which they play for their schools, as will be evident from the fact that I think Clunies-Ross should be in CAS 1sts (if fit, which is a big if given his run with injuries) even if it means picking him on the wing rather than at full back. My point is that whilst I think McLean is a fantastic player, he's only a makeshift second-rower, and doesn't have the lineout skills you would want from a CAS 1sts lock. My own view is that McLean is a better footballer than, say, Williams from St Aloysius - but Williams is the better second-rower.

T

talentScout

Couple of good Waverley Tries from the Knox game

By the looks of those try's and the efforts I've seen from both waverly wingers they both have a high chance of selection. Both very dangerous attacking players and great finishers set up by skillfull inside men. Speed to burn. I think it's unfair to pick players who are out injuried as they are not able to prove themselves and isn't fair towards boy playing well who are In the mix or player of higher quality. I think a majority of the cas backline will come from trinity and waverly combining both speed and skill from
Both teams

L

Lachlan Brown

Thanks for posting these.

Was that an attempted trip by the Knox full-back in that second try?
Yeah it was, but it was a winger who came on just before that play. Hes normally in the 2's but he is actually so bad...the coach's think hes good but hes not. He played 5ths last year...........
One of the main problem why knox isnt doing well is because of the teams they pick and the positions they put those players in. e.g. playing oliver knight at prop who played second row last year and then putting andrew seton at blindside flanker who was prop last year and then having joe drewett at second row this year who was a blindside flanker last year. seems a little silly and confusing to me or that just me thinking that?

A

andrew smith

By the looks of those try's and the efforts I've seen from both waverly wingers they both have a high chance of selection. Both very dangerous attacking players and great finishers set up by skillfull inside men. Speed to burn. I think it's unfair to pick players who are out injuried as they are not able to prove themselves and isn't fair towards boy playing well who are In the mix or player of higher quality. I think a majority of the cas backline will come from trinity and waverly combining both speed and skill from
Both teams

Thanks for posting those two tries,both are exceptionally well worked moves stretching the Knox defence from one side to the next.The first try with the width of pass from the Waverley half and five-eigth allowing the inside centre Farley space to draw two in and create space for Paterson who skillfully puts his winger away.The second was all class from the Waverley halfback Whitaker ,who took the wide ball off the scrum from the number 8,drifted wide before straightening slightly and delivering a beautiful cut out ball to Wileman in space.....Both were a pleasure to watch

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
I have only seen Trinity and St Aloysius.

From St Aloysius, Harrison Williams is a good candidate. He's very good in the air (lineouts and restarts) and gets around the park well.

From Trinity, Clunies-Ross, if fit, must be in the mix at wing or full back. Morsello, if fit, is worth a run at hooker. Satiu has been spectacular this year and needs to be there. Then you get a problem. Orr and McLean are very good ball-running front rowers but Trinity's abundance of riches in this department has pushed McLean into the second row. You wouldn't pick him in the second row in a representative team, I suspect. So the selectors have a tough choice. I guess they pick Orr in the position he plays for his school, but it's not an easy call. Neither Malaki nor Ola would be out of place at the next level. Clark should be the fly half. Trinity has won something like its last thirteen Associated Schools competition games so if they get seven or so players in the CAS 1sts, no-one could complain too much.

From Waverley, Whitaker and Paterson must be in with a good chance.

Cranbrook and Barker will have good candidates I haven't yet seen this year. Barker's winger, Haltmeier, impressed me last year, though no-one else ever says anything about him.

Sounds like Harrison Williams was hosting the Aloy's party last Saturday, but some eight of his former SJRU (2011) U16 colleagues from Trinity turned up to spoil it. Aside from the Trinity boys, Harrison and one (maybe two) from Waverley, I think all the other 2011 U16 Sydney Juniors rep team were from non-CAS schools - hence it is highly likely with such a concentration of talent that Trinity will provide more than just the foundation of the CAS Teams. It often takes the opposing lineout callers a few throws to realise not to have the throw go anywhere near Harrison, and his general play is so versatile - he and Paterson from Waverley should be certain starters.

O

onthewatch

what are predictions for cas 1s team this year for players that are available atm?

T

Trinity Imports 2012

aloysius look strong against BArker this weak.. Luke Vevers makes his long awaited return at 5/8, a quality player and well control the backs well and has an excellent kicking game. Williams was brilliant for Aloysius last week making big tackles at important times and Rory Vevers (year 10) was superb on debut and his kicking game is quality. He come off against Trinity but has been cleared to play this week.

Aloysius v. Barker for me is shaping as match of the round. Aloysius players returning will make a huge difference with Goodearl also returning for Aloys.

With Waverley scoring so many points is there forward pack have big guys or are they just spreading it wide at any chance??

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
Here's my predictions for CAS 1sts XV: Sorry for misspelling in advance.

1. Orr (T)
2. Morsello(T)/Wilson(B)/Koutsoukis(W)
3.Satui(T)/Pedersen(B)
4.Lembke-Morgan(B)
5.Afele(T)/Williams(A)
6.??
7.Johnson(W)
8.Moala(T)/Fay(C)
9. O'donnell (W)/ Jenkins(B)
10. Clark(T)/Vevers(A)
11. Pack(T)/Haltmeier(B)
12.Creeley(K)
13. Kotobalavu(T)
14. Smith(W)
15. Patterson(W)/Clunies-Ross(T)

O

onthewatch

1. Orr (T)
3.Satui(T)/Pedersen(B)
4.Lembke-Morgan(B)
5.Afele(T)/Williams(A)
6.??
7.Johnson(W)
8.Moala(T)/Fay(C)
10. Clark(T)/Vevers(A)
11. Pack(T)/Haltmeier(B)
12.Creeley(K)
13. Kotobalavu(T)
14. Smith(W)

although creeley, clunies ross and morsello

doinBRA

Bob McCowan (2)
wileman form waverley very strong on the wing must be in there on form at the moment. paterson can play 5/8 aswell.

A

andrew smith

1. Orr (T)
3.Satui(T)/Pedersen(B)
4.Lembke-Morgan(B)
5.Afele(T)/Williams(A)
6.??
7.Johnson(W)
8.Moala(T)/Fay(C)
10. Clark(T)/Vevers(A)
11. Pack(T)/Haltmeier(B)
12.Creeley(K)
13. Kotobalavu(T)
14. Smith(W)

Wileman from Waverley is a must on one wing, Whitaker from Waverley is the number 9,not O Donnell he is 5/8,while Cuppitt-Osbourne easily outpointed the Trinity outside centre

T

talentScout

I agree with doinbra both waverly wingers should secure a spot Wileman is a great attacking player by what I've seen both waverly wingers Both can find the line and by what I've seen no one could lay a hand on them in most of their trys although I haven't seen the barker boy play. pack was outplayed and didn't look dangerous again waverly although he is a good player and a friend of mine

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
cranbrook 19 barker 20;
won with a penalty from 40 metres that was the last act of the game; after cranbrook had put on 2 quick tries to seemingly steal the game.....the jubilation of the cranbrook old boys after the second of those tries contrasted starkly with the despair of the cranbrook team when that killer kick went over.....cranbrook left winger spectacular....pace and a great fend....

... well thats weird because barker won 23-19, and I have no idea what penalty your talking about, I don't think you were there champ

Status
Not open for further replies.