• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

talentScout

CAS 1stXV my prediction:

1. Orr
2. Kitchen
3. Satiu
4. Williams
5. Fay
6. Moala
7. Johnson
8. Afele
9. Jenkins
10.Clark
11.Whileman
12.Flaherty
13. Creely
14. Smith
15. Patterson
sorry for incorrect spelling

ABOYS2012

Bob McCowan (2)
Did he play CAS u/16's last year? He's come from nowhere

He played North v South, but no, he didn't make CAS 16's. He's put on some size recently and I reckon if he really worked on his throw, he would be an amazing player. Is Wilson and Kitchen most likely to be the hookers for 1s/2s this year?

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
He played North v South, but no, he didn't make CAS 16's. He's put on some size recently and I reckon if he really worked on his throw, he would be an amazing player. Is Wilson and Kitchen most likely to be the hookers for 1s/2s this year?
I'm not sold on either, Wilson (B) and Kitchen(K) are both technically sound, but Morsello (T) and Booth (A) have flair and are a real threat with ball in hand. Will be interesting to see which way the selectors go this year.

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS 1stXV my prediction:

1. Orr
2. Kitchen
3. Satiu
4. Williams
5. Fay
6. Moala
7. Johnson
8. Afele
9. Jenkins
10.Clark
11.Whileman
12.Flaherty
13. Creely
14. Smith
15. Patterson
sorry for incorrect spelling
T.Davis (B) for one wing spot ? showed a lot of speed and vision in the games i've seen, a back 3 of clunies-ross, davis and patterson would make for some real attacking footy. Just a thought

ABOYS2012

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not sold on either, Wilson (B) and Kitchen(K) are both technically sound, but Morsello (T) and Booth (A) have flair and are a real threat with ball in hand. Will be interesting to see which way the selectors go this year.

I think based on reputation and previous form that Wilson and Kitchen will make it. I hope the selectors consider Booth or give him a spot on the bench

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
T.Davis (B) for one wing spot ? showed a lot of speed and vision in the games i've seen, a back 3 of clunies-ross, davis and patterson would make for some real attacking footy. Just a thought
If you were going to put anyone on the wing from Barker it would be Haltmeier over Davis any day.. Haltmeier has much better pace, ball handling, vision, and runs the ball much better. As for the predicted teams above, its strange how an undefeated side of Barker seems to only get 2 players in the CAS side... Flaherty plays 13, not 12, and as he is definitely the best centre in CAS, that i have seen, it is likely that he will play in his preferred position being outside... Also, Tom Wilson, played for CAS 2's last year, Kitchen was only in Knox 2's, just a fact we should all be wary of. Lembke-Hogan, no.5 for CAS 1's last year, likely to be in the squad again... Last thing, Booth was almost non-existant in the Barker vs Aloys game, and was clearly outperformed by his opposite number, as for Morsello, what is the point of having a hooker who cant throw? It is one of their main roles in the team, to throw the ball into the lineout, and to do it well.. If that can't be done, then he may compensate for his throwing ability in general play and scrums at Trinity 1s level, but CAS selectors are hardly going to be confident with a dodgy line-out. Wilson vs Kitchen for CAS 1's hooker, and Kitchen has much ground to make if he wants to convince selectors he is better suited to the role

T

The_Good_Old_Days

If you were going to put anyone on the wing from Barker it would be Haltmeier over Davis any day.. Haltmeier has much better pace, ball handling, vision, and runs the ball much better. As for the predicted teams above, its strange how an undefeated side of Barker seems to only get 2 players in the CAS side... Flaherty plays 13, not 12, and as he is definitely the best centre in CAS, that i have seen, it is likely that he will play in his preferred position being outside...

Surely you must have seen the Waverley vs Barker game and in this, you saw the two centres for Waverley shut down Barker's backline everytime they handled the ball. Although it was a forwards game with dominant mauling from Barker, credit is due to Waverley's defense, especially Waverley's inside, Gabriel Farley, who has proven to be a solid defender with several strong hits from the outside centre, Cupitt-Osborne. But i do agree however with Haltmeier beating Davis to the wing position, as it seemed Davis ran well through an open field with his steps which i have doubts if he would be as good if he was being limited to the sidelines. Just thought that needed to be said.

E

EyesWideOpen

If you were going to put anyone on the wing from Barker it would be Haltmeier over Davis any day.. Haltmeier has much better pace, ball handling, vision, and runs the ball much better. As for the predicted teams above, its strange how an undefeated side of Barker seems to only get 2 players in the CAS side... Flaherty plays 13, not 12, and as he is definitely the best centre in CAS, that i have seen, it is likely that he will play in his preferred position being outside... Also, Tom Wilson, played for CAS 2's last year, Kitchen was only in Knox 2's, just a fact we should all be wary of. Lembke-Hogan, no.5 for CAS 1's last year, likely to be in the squad again... Last thing, Booth was almost non-existant in the Barker vs Aloys game, and was clearly outperformed by his opposite number, as for Morsello, what is the point of having a hooker who cant throw? It is one of their main roles in the team, to throw the ball into the lineout, and to do it well.. If that can't be done, then he may compensate for his throwing ability in general play and scrums at Trinity 1s level, but CAS selectors are hardly going to be confident with a dodgy line-out. Wilson vs Kitchen for CAS 1's hooker, and Kitchen has much ground to make if he wants to convince selectors he is better suited to the role

A Barker supporter rtd?
FYI Wilson was actually picked in the CAS shadow team last year . Due to CAS squad injuries, he was moved up and played his way into the CAS 1s position . Kitchen played for both Knox 1s and 2s in the initial games of 2011 and secured Knox 1s position by game 3 . He wasn't available for CAS selection due to planned shoulder surgery mid season.

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
While debate rages as to who is selected in the CAS rep sides of 2012 I still get the feeling it's just reshuffling deckchairs on the titanic. The closeness of the competition whist exciting is more a reflection of the standards of play. Look across the trial results and early games to see the inconsistencies of performance, Barker are leading through grinding it out while others win handsomely one week and get trounced the next. GPS, ISA and CHS will be a very different proposition even accounting for it being a co-op of playing strength. Congratulations to those who are selected but on exposed form I don't think there'll be many NSW reps from this years bunch.

A reminder that selectors rarely stray far from those they have chosen before so look back at last years REP yr11 players and the 2010 U16's to gauge core selections.

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
From what I've seen Davis has a lot to offer, and he's a ball player as well. It would be an exciting prospect to have a back 3 in which all have big passing and kicking games, not saying that it will happen, it probably won't, but many people saw a big contest over clunies-ross and patterson for the 15 jersey. Why not play both and have an excitement machine of a back 3?

Andrew Daley

Frank Row (1)
surely barker will have more players in the CAS 1st's and 2nd's teams as they are leading the competition now.
Any thoughts on who's playing well?

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
Some other players to think of include in your CAS selection hypothesis:
Lembke Hogan- (B) - As mentioned before, unaware of his performance this year though
Hurst- (T)- A solid number 6, played CAS U16's 2 years ago, out last year with ankle injury, has been playing some fine footy lately.
Pedersen- (B)- CAS 2's prop from last year, again unaware of his performance this year

IMO, Davis (B) lacks the characteristics of a strong ball running back who isn't afraid to run at the line sometimes like Paterson and Clunies Ross, then again who knows what the selectors are seeing.
Booth (A) has had no major impact for the St Alos boys, lazy in defense and a poor disciplined player.

In response to the predicted team: My CAS 2nd's team would be

1 Edney (B)
2 Morsello (T)
3 Pedersen (B)
4 Mclean (T)
5 Lembke-Hogan (B)
6 Hurst (T)
7 Agius (W)
8 Fay (C)
9 O'donnell (W)
10 Vevers (A)
11 De Lorenzo (C)
12 Farley (W)
13 Stolz (B)
14 ????
15 Paterson (W)

P

Peace keeper

coming from the likes of your comments you have only seen one game of morsellos this year, presumably the knox game by the looks of it,and you are judging morsello off this game alone , that said i did say earlier in the forum he had suffered from a shoulder injury that would of effected his throwing after i had spoken to the trinity physio after the knox game , and in saying that the other CAS game he did manage to play was waverly two weeks before the knox game where he did have a 100% rate against the waverly team ..... so how can you say he cant throw ?

O

onthewatch

Hooker will be a close call- Kitchen (K) and Wilson (B) are definately the front runners, ahead of Morsello (T)

Open side- Johnson (W) should get the nod here, with Wood (A) also playing well

5/8- Clark (T) with Luke Vevers (A) in the CAS 2nds

Centres- The centre spots are pretty wide open at the moment in my opinion.
Flaherty (B) has been really impressive. He's a big unit and he runs hard and straight.
Also Creely (K) had a decent game in an underwhelming Knox side on the weekend.
Farley (W) could be picked but I'm yet to see him play this year

5/8 patterson
15 jamo/vevers
2 kitchen seen him play this year absolute gun
centres all teams centres up for the nod cranbrook waverley, knox all strong 12's although creely is hard to knock as he is a NSW player
13 flaherty very large unit with great speed and agility

O

onthewatch

are there shadow players for both 1s and 2s this year if so how many?

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
5 points to make to responses to my prior comment

I'm a barker old boy EyesWideOpen, so yes i do support them, and it seems your a keen knox supporter, but your information is flawed, as in round 5 last year against Barker at Knox home, Kitchen was definitely playing in Knox 2nds and perhaps got a run in firsts, but i didnt see because i left early, you probably know the reason why... So no, Kitchen didn't have a secured 1's position by game 3

The Good Old Days - no i wasn't at the Waverly v Barker game

Peace Keeper, I don't think anyone posting on this website can possible say they have seen more than one game of every team considering there's only been 4 rounds, and the chances are you're all following the teams you support anyway.. I saw Trinity vs Waverly, so yes i've only seen 1 trinity game.. I agree, sure, having a shoulder injury is going to influence your throwing game, but if you can tackle on it then you should be able to throw a ball with somewhat decent aim, considering you would have been practicing it constantly for countless hours... Also I further base my information on reputation from previous years, until this year I had never heard of a hooker named Morsello

Davis displays great talent, which is typical of a player who makes 1sts in year 10, but no he is not better than patterson, nor clunies-ross and Haltmeier is a far better candidate on the wing, which is obvious from games last year (where Davis and Haltmeier both played on the wings), and also the Barker v Aloys game this year.

I mean no offense and am doing my best to remain unbiased, but i just fail to see how a Barker side that is the only remaining team undefeated could only have 3 candidates for CAS 1's (Jenkins, Wilson, and Flaherty are the only ones I've seen mentioned in most posts), and even these seem to be under scrutiny (Farley and Creely instead of Flaherty, Morsello Kitchen and Booth instead of Wilson, and Whittaker instead of Jenkins).. It is truly beyond me

C

Cubesquare

5 points to make to responses to my prior comment

I'm a barker old boy EyesWideOpen, so yes i do support them, and it seems your a keen knox supporter, but your information is flawed, as in round 5 last year against Barker at Knox home, Kitchen was definitely playing in Knox 2nds and perhaps got a run in firsts, but i didnt see because i left early, you probably know the reason why... So no, Kitchen didn't have a secured 1's position by game 3

The Good Old Days - no i wasn't at the Waverly v Barker game

Peace Keeper, I don't think anyone posting on this website can possible say they have seen more than one game of every team considering there's only been 4 rounds, and the chances are you're all following the teams you support anyway.. I saw Trinity vs Waverly, so yes i've only seen 1 trinity game.. I agree, sure, having a shoulder injury is going to influence your throwing game, but if you can tackle on it then you should be able to throw a ball with somewhat decent aim, considering you would have been practicing it constantly for countless hours... Also I further base my information on reputation from previous years, until this year I had never heard of a hooker named Morsello

Davis displays great talent, which is typical of a player who makes 1sts in year 10, but no he is not better than patterson, nor clunies-ross and Haltmeier is a far better candidate on the wing, which is obvious from games last year (where Davis and Haltmeier both played on the wings), and also the Barker v Aloys game this year.

I mean no offense and am doing my best to remain unbiased, but i just fail to see how a Barker side that is the only remaining team undefeated could only have 3 candidates for CAS 1's (Jenkins, Wilson, and Flaherty are the only ones I've seen mentioned in most posts), and even these seem to be under scrutiny (Farley and Creely instead of Flaherty, Morsello Kitchen and Booth instead of Wilson, and Whittaker instead of Jenkins).. It is truly beyond me

Mr rtd32, your theory of suggesting that players from a team that is doing well on a certain level be picked for representative honors is flawed. If you are such a strong believer in that mentality, you might as well ask Robbie dean to select the wallabies consisting of only brumbies players or reds players. Let's just throw beau Robinson out cause his the best scrummager in Australia but his from the waratahs who are coming bottom in Australian conference virtually, stuff Pocock, who cares, pococks team is coming virtually last as well. Don't even bother with kurtley Beale, or James oconnor, Melbourne don't even have a rugby team, they just play gay-fl (note the sarcasm).

E

EyesWideOpen

rtd32

More a keen interest in former rep players than a supporter of any school particularly rtd and have keenly watched some of these guys for years now. Sorry to be pedantic but as I keep all the programs from the games I get to.......June 4 2011 K vs B at K - Kitchen noted (and played) as the 1s hooker. And Morsello, Wilson and Kitchen have been contending for the 2 rep position for a couple of years now. Morsello played prop until 2 years ago and Wilson prop until 3 years ago. So no newcomers in that trio just some great seasoned talent. But enough of ancient history! CAS supporters should celebrate that it has serious contenders for all positions - today.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Barker wins this Saturday, then it will have won five from five, will have a pretty much unassailable lead in the competition, and will deserve a very strong representation in CAS 1sts. I don't see how anyone can argue with that (provided, of course, that Barker does win).

I haven't seen Wilson this year. I suspect he has an edge over Morsello at the moment. Morsello has been troubled by injury and his form this year has not been as dynamic as last year (probably for that reason). He must also bear some responsibility for the shambles that is the Trinity lineout. If Wilson is playing strongly, Barker's form will probably carry him into CAS 1sts. And I say that as a huge admirer of Morsello's talent. And if Trinity upsets Barker this Saturday, and Morsello plays (and plays well), then he may be in with a good chance.

The standout in the Barker forward pack seems to have been Edney, but it's very hard to see how he can be picked ahead of Orr or Satiu. Satiu has been excellent all season, and Orr has been dynamic, scoring five tries in four competition matches. Front row seems to be an area of strength for CAS and Edney looks likely to be the unlucky one here (bear in mind that Jackson McLean, who most years would be a strong contender for CAS 1s, can't get into the Trinity front row).

Status
Not open for further replies.