• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Casnovian

In all honesty, i was a bit disappointed. For all the hype that comes with a CAS vs GPS fixture, it was no better than the usual schoolboy rugby seen week in, week out.[/quote]

I have to agree with you. Spoke with an elderly gentleman in the crowd who recalled these matches were very big events and well attended in the 1960s and 70s. I watched the Seconds - seemed to be an even struggle - CAS 2nds didn't get to see the ball for the first 20 or so minutes. Jack Reddin for GPS - looked sharp however he should have put in three or more tries than he did with woeful passes.

GPS appeared more dominant in the second half particularly after the front row was gradually replaced through injury (CAS forwards were dominant) - last 12 points went on quickly after that.

First half of 1sts game - was ordinary - picked up by GPS in the second.

The locked gates at Riverview was a turn off!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There are more match reports on the NSW thread (where they belong because a game involves two associations):

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/nsw-schools-2012-and-trial-games.10778/page-6

The result of the main game was more or less what forum members predicted though this is not always the case. I would have liked to have seen Clunies-Ross and Patterson playing for GPS, and Jones and Kellaway of GPS playing for CAS, just for a theoretical comparison, as the GPS boys had the advantage of playing in a 7 tries to 2 dominant team.

Was very disappointed in the CAS forwards as a pack. That was the significant difference this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The locked gates at Riverview was a turn off!

It must have been because of the grass in the parking area above the ground. It was a mess last month when the Joeys trial game was on there (my windscreen got covered with mud from the car in front of me) and after more heavy rain recently they probably wanted it to continue its recovery.

V

Veteran101

The quality of CAS rugby is getting worse. Simply put CAS need to start recruiting both players and coaches to keep up with GPS' dominance

C

Casnovian

It must have been because of the grass in the parking area above the ground. It was a mess last month when the Joeys trial game was on there (my windscreen got covered with mud from the car in front of me) and after more heavy rain recently they probably wanted it to continue its recovery.
The walk will do most - the world of good. However my heart went out to the old fella who treked there - and totally out of puff whenhe arrived. He was talking about watching in the 50s and 60s and when GPS played Duntroon - pretty well dated him as seventy or eighty years young.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The quality of CAS rugby is getting worse. Simply put CAS need to start recruiting both players and coaches to keep up with GPS' dominance
Or maybe GPS just need to STOP recuiting players and coaches and just work harder to produce quality players and teams with the kids they get as full fee payers.This would seem more logical than CAS selling its soul and losing its ethical approach to the game.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
2009 was the year Aloys should have won the comp.
Indeed I remember hearing they were the team to beat that year, and I remember the only game that Barker won that year was against aloys in the final play. However this is my point exactly, Aloys even that year were not under rated, in fact they proved to be over rated as they finished 3rd when they were expected to finish first. This 'consistency' of "only losing every game by 7 or less" is hardly a convincing argument to persuade somebody to think that they are a good team or under rated (unless you take it out of context and say "when they lose it's only by 7 or less").

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
St Aloysius is, I think, the smallest CAS school, so you need to assess its performance by the use it makes of its resources, especially as it doesn't really prioritise Rugby or actively recruit Rugby players. in that context, it's usually to the school's credit that it manages to be as competitive as it is.

I'm not sure, though, that I agree with the earlier comment that Aloys was "unlucky" not to snatch a win against Trinity in the return game this year. For much of the game, Aloys was two scores behind (19-5, 26-12) and was playing catch up. My view was that the score was a fair indication of the game but made the contest look (if anything) slightly closer than it was.

V

Veteran101

Indeed I remember hearing they were the team to beat that year, and I remember the only game that Barker won that year was against aloys in the final play. However this is my point exactly, Aloys even that year were not under rated, in fact they proved to be over rated as they finished 3rd when they were expected to finish first. This 'consistency' of "only losing every game by 7 or less" is hardly a convincing argument to persuade somebody to think that they are a good team or under rated (unless you take it out of context and say "when they lose it's only by 7 or less").
Or maybe GPS just need to STOP recuiting players and coaches and just work harder to produce quality players and teams with the kids they get as full fee payers.This would seem more logical than CAS selling its soul and losing its ethical approach to the game.

I remember that yr, waverley also beat them in the dieing minutes to steal a victory

To angrydog, Or that would help lol. but recruiting has been in it for a while, i doubt they would get rid of it.

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
i believe the under rated aloys comment is being taken a little out of context. Being under rated doesn't necessarily mean being tipped to lose consistently and coming up with wins. However it is referencing playing better than expected and to be honest this is probably what aloys have done this year. Every week aloys is tipped to be a walk over and apply no resistance to any other schools yet they seem to be there at the end of every game this season.. if thats not under rated i don't know what is!

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
CAS boys in NSW 1s: no.2 Tom Wilson (B), no.7 Jack Johnson (W), no.21 Harry Jenkins (B), no.22 Henry Clunies-Ross (T)

NSW 2's: no.1 Cameron Orr (T), no.12 Liam Creeley (K), no.16 Henry Pederson (B), no.18 Faaope Satiu (T), no.19 Harrison Williams (A)

Would like to have seen Patterson and Flaherty on there but I wouldn't argue with the amount of rugby these selectors would have watched over the past few weeks

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
CAS boys in NSW 1s: no.2 Tom Wilson (B), no.7 Jack Johnson (W), no.21 Harry Jenkins (B), no.22 Henry Clunies-Ross (T)

NSW 2's: no.1 Cameron Orr (T), no.12 Liam Creeley (K), no.16 Henry Pederson (B), no.18 Faaope Satiu (T), no.19 Harrison Williams (A)

Would like to have seen Patterson and Flaherty on there but I wouldn't argue with the amount of rugby these selectors would have watched over the past few weeks
Very disappointed for Patterson....he's a black booker for the future.

B

Burtoz

Same with Flaherty, very strong in the backs. Ashamed that NSW selectors chose players who weren't even playing and they got into the NSW team

T

The_Riddler

I remember the only game that Barker won that year was against aloys in the final play.

I was at that game in 09. From memory it was very wet and up at Hornsby. From a performance perspective, Aloys were disgraceful, even Tommy Kingston (who was the rock of the team that year) didn't show up. On the flip side, the Barker boys played their guts out with huge goal line defence in the last 15 mins. No doubt a great memory for all the Barker players who were involved and one for the Aloys boys they would rather forget.

Although they did beat Knox that year which is treated like the Bledisloe from Aloys perspective after the annual trial with View was taken off the calendar some years ago.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
t Knox that year which is treated like the Bledisloe from Aloys perspective after the annual trial with View was taken off the calendar some years ago.

the only 'bledisloe fixture' Knox have is with barker, and as for view, we all know they have joeys. They're already taken, sorry :(

Bill McLean (32)

Angry dog,

I can assure you that GPS don't have the monopoly when it comes to recruitment!

I know Trinity have a few boys in their team this year that probably would not be classified as 'full fee' paying students!

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Add cricket as well. Interesting how most are under age so can still do Pathways . Oopps, but that is for another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.