• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Aloys vs Knox 34-19

Got out to my first game in a long while. The Aloysius home ground (college oval?) was absolutely heaving, couldn't believe the size of the tunnel. At the end of the day Aloys just wanted it more. The forward pack delivered quick ball and the back line delivered, particularly through the veers' (both of them) kicking and running games. In the forwards, number 2-Booth, and number 7-Wood stood out. Its hard to go past Goodearl 13 in the backs, had a ripper of a game until he was sent off. Injury looked to be causing some problems with the Aloys side, but with Knox reduced to 14 men, this could've evened things out. However, uncharacteristically, Aloys showed good depth. In a game where the luck definitely favoured aloys (perhaps the crowd had a big say in 'luck') knox simply didn't do enough.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
1st. Barker
Tied 2nd. Waverley & Cranbrook
4rd. Knox
5th. Trinity
6th. St. Aloysius

more specifically
1. Barker: Won 7, Lost 1, For 214, Against 22
2. Waverly: Won 5, Lost 3, For 165, Against 101
2. Cranbrook: Won 5, Lost 3, For 124, Against 124
4. Knox: Won 4, Lost 4, For 122, Against 84
5. Trinity: Won 2, Lost 6, For 98, Against 144
6. Aloys: Won 1, Lost 7, For 22, Against 271

J

Justin Macline

more specifically
1. Barker: Won 7, Lost 1, For 214, Against 22
2. Waverly: Won 5, Lost 3, For 165, Against 101
2. Cranbrook: Won 5, Lost 3, For 124, Against 124
4. Knox: Won 4, Lost 4, For 122, Against 84
5. Trinity: Won 2, Lost 6, For 98, Against 144
6. Aloys: Won 1, Lost 7, For 22, Against 271

ok ok your ladder is better...on a serious note it just shows how well they are running things at Barker there is sure to be a quality 1sts next year if most of their 2nds are in Year 11. Waverley 2nds ive heard are very up and down and is full of Year 12 so maybe not enough depth for next year. Cranbrook has surprised me this year being highly competetive. I will never understand how Knox gets in those positions, superior +/- but key losses. Trinity and Aloys well I've seen them both play, Trinity keeps the scores close, some talent, and well Aloys...they get points for effort but i expect Waverley to put 50+ on them this week

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Henry Pedersen from Barker out for the season - Stuck in a
pool at Newport trying to return to natural habitat.

C

Cubesquare

One would expect barker who is near full strength to give the severely weakened trinity team a hiding, but CAS games often throw massive curveballs at you as demonstrated so far this 2012 season.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
One would expect barker who is near full strength to give the severely weakened trinity team a hiding, but CAS games often throw massive curveballs at you as demonstrated so far this 2012 season.

Is Trinity weakened? Does anyone know who's in or out this week? I assume Clark is suspended.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Predictions for the weekend?
It's too early to tell until we know who the referees are: some penalty counts in the past couple of rounds have been way too lop-sided, and there has been better refereeing talent running the touch-lines than in the middle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's too early to tell until we know who the referees are: some penalty counts in the past couple of rounds have been way too lop-sided, and there has been better refereeing talent running the touch-lines than in the middle.

So to redress the poor standard of refereeing, you will be attending the level 1 course next year will you?

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
ok ok your ladder is better.on a serious note it just shows how well they are running things at Barker there is sure to be a quality 1sts next year if most of their 2nds are in Year 11. Waverley 2nds ive heard are very up and down and is full of Year 12 so maybe not enough depth for next year. Cranbrook has surprised me this year being highly competetive. I will never understand how Knox gets in those positions, superior +/- but key losses. Trinity and Aloys well I've seen them both play, Trinity keeps the scores close, some talent, and well Aloys.they get points for effort but i expect Waverley to put 50+ on them this week

Yeh it seems your analysis cannot be flawed based on the statistics provided. However, there are a few points I'd be wary of as a Barker fan (literally). The first is that last year you could look at the stats and one could say something along the lines of the following: "Waverly came 2nd in 1st XV, and 2nd in 2nd XV with a number of year 11's returning." Also, you might have heard something along the lines of "Knox came 1st in the 2nd XV and 3rd in 1st XV, also with a considerable amount of year 11 returning, as well as a strong under 16 side" But of course the one thing you would definitely have heard was "Trinity for back-to-back, with 1st XV dominating (breaking CAS records), and practically the whole team returning where any players leaving would be replaced with their 2011 16's players who were more than capable". Yet, look where we are now. If somebody had said this time last year, "I bet Barker will win in 2012" they would be absolutely ridiculed. 4th in 1st XV, 3rd in 2nd XV, and 3rd (or tied 2nd?) in 16A's... On paper they didn't stand a chance, except the fact that they had well over half their team returning.

Leading into my second point, the funny thing is that Barkers depth is so good this year that people in the firsts last year like Clout, Naude (who played CAS 2's this year), and Lembke-Hogan (CAS 1sts 2011) are frequently playing in the 2nds (Naude was playing 2s more at the start of the season). Unfortunately there was a slight fault in the information you provided, as 10 out of 15 players are year 12 in the Barker 1st XV, and some players (like Pederson, and Marais) don't have a year 11 replacement until the 4ths. The back line will undoubtedly be strong still with Davis, Stolz, and Smerdon returning, and other 2nds standouts like Dove to replace Flaherty and Elwood-Hall a good candidate to fill the shoes of Haltmeier... but they will have difficulty finding the same strength up front with Wilson, Marais, Pearson, Pederson, Naude and Edney all leaving this year... Best of luck to them in 2013 though, and as they proved this year anything can happen in the space of 12 months!!

C

Cubesquare

Yeh it seems your analysis cannot be flawed based on the statistics provided. However, there are a few points I'd be wary of as a Barker fan (literally). The first is that last year you could look at the stats and one could say something along the lines of the following: "Waverly came 2nd in 1st XV, and 2nd in 2nd XV with a number of year 11's returning." Also, you might have heard something along the lines of "Knox came 1st in the 2nd XV and 3rd in 1st XV, also with a considerable amount of year 11 returning, as well as a strong under 16 side" But of course the one thing you would definitely have heard was "Trinity for back-to-back, with 1st XV dominating (breaking CAS records), and practically the whole team returning where any players leaving would be replaced with their 2011 16's players who were more than capable". Yet, look where we are now. If somebody had said this time last year, "I bet Barker will win in 2012" they would be absolutely ridiculed. 4th in 1st XV, 3rd in 2nd XV, and 3rd (or tied 2nd?) in 16A's. On paper they didn't stand a chance, except the fact that they had well over half their team returning.

Actually, I don't know where you got the idea that barker came 3rd in the 2nd XV as they were undefeated premiers. Considering that their 2012 squad has retained 22 out of the 30 from last year, one would have bet that the premiers would have been between trinity and barker. Don't forget the fact that in 2010 Barker were the winners of the shield, and were undefeated I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.