• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
AFL is starting at Waverley and Cranbrook next year during the winter sports season. This will dilute the player numbers and weaken the rugby base. Aloys have sensibly decided not to participate as yet but with the AFL funding most of the costs resistance is futile.
This truly is the beginning of the end of the world as we know it.

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
Being a recent ex student of waverley I know a few of the boys and have heard some rumours going around. It seems as though Waverley will field a strong team in the 1s and an above average 2s side, but might lack depth through the rest of the opens. There is also talk of a few 16s playing up. The rumoured of favoured team for 2013 seems to be:
1. Avory Di Bartelomeo- 2nd rower in the 16s last season, looks to be bulking up to fill the spot
2. Nick Koutsoukis- returning hooker, CAS 2s reserve hooker, great player with a lot of charisma
3. Josh Brenton- played a few games in 1sts towards the end of the year, works hard, solid build
4. Matthew Hooper- plays his best footy when hes in the ruck and off the wing, works hard regardless, great in the lineout
5. Barton Heeney- great in the ruck, works hard off the ball and makes countless tackles each game, great player
6. Lindsey Stevens- defines aggression. Gets the better of him sometimes but is good regardless. Great in the ruck.
7. Tom O'Connor-had some good game time in the 1s, another great worker with a big, solid build
8. Ryan Powter-2nd year in the 1s, great ball runner and defender. Yet another big forward.
9. Jack Hopkins-played last 2 games at 9 in the 16s, shadow CAS 16s fullback, looks prefered over Murphy with a better passing and running game.
10. Ben O'Donnell-2nd year in 1sts, great ball player with even better vision. CAS 2s 10 last season and real contender for CAS 1sts 10.
11. Nick Hardie- played 10 in the 2s last season. Not the best 10, but had a good running game and good defence. Would really suit the available wing position
12. Dion Narayan/Jordan Bracewell/Jake Smirnotis-Dion played 10 in the 15s last season. He might find himself at 10 and O'Donnell at 12 with O'Donnell having the bigger build. Bracewell played 13 in the 16s. Great ball runner who could pass a bit more. Smirnotis seems to be liked by the coaches, tall under 15 player this year.. will get caught out early and find himself back in the 16s.
13. Isaac McKay- Great player when he doesnt go missing, is more involved at 13 and is looking like he is bulking up for next year. He will be hoping for less injuries.
14. Tom Duffy-Lanky winger from the 2s/3s. Very skillful with good vision, another player looking like hes bulking up and could fill the vacant wing spot.
15. Jack Bassett- CAS 16s fullback, played 10 for 16s last season. Very skillful with great vision also. He takes his opportunities and will be very dangerous from the back.

The side looks strong and will be hoping to avoid injuries throughout the season. Hard to say at the moment but they look like real contenders and seem to be getting more serious about it each season. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the opens fair however.

I saw a few games last year and being an old boy was pleased with some of the boys coming through. There are a few boys from the 15A's last year that should get a crack in the open 1's.

The 15A's #10 looks outstanding with the ball in hand running at the defence and knows how to kick a ball. I haven't seen a 15yr old kid that has a boot like him. Looked really good in the 15's and will be tested in the opens but absolutely one to watch and should be looking at a CAS start somewhere in the back line. Looks like he may have played league with his style of tackling.

Couple of good kids in the 16's that will add to the pack, Jack B will make a good fullback. I saw him at CAS.

Will and Jack missing in 2013 will be a dent to the squad but should have enough depth coming from the 15's and 16's in in the next couple of seasons.

Does anyone know who the 15's #10 is? Is it Dion N? Where does he play his club footy?

Jamo Mum

Frank Row (1)
hasn't "Jamo", their No10 also left the school, he was a rep player and also in yr11, who is his replacement?

Yes Jamo is NOT returning to Trinity in 2013!! After being at Trinity for 13 years, Jamo has decided not to do pathways and therefore he won't be returning to Trinity next year.
Trinity has been amazing and he (and we) will miss school boy rugby BUT its time for Jamo to move on.
See you back on the rugby fields in 2014.... as Jamo has a big year ahead in 2013.
THANKYOU for all the fun times and thankyou to all the amazing friends we have met on the sidelines of rugby fields.

Cheers Cathy XXX (Jamo's Mum)

sprites

Bob McCowan (2)
Trinity's U16s 2 years ago (those boys now entering Year 12) were very strong in their CAS comp, I recall that they came second only to Waverley by a point or so, I think that is when Waverely had that big tighthead, Fred I think his name was. The Trinity team had the likes of Whicker, Malaki, Moala and Coffill in that team so should be interesting if that same (or close to it) is now their 1st XV

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity's U16s 2 years ago (those boys now entering Year 12) were very strong in their CAS comp, I recall that they came second only to Waverley by a point or so, I think that is when Waverely had that big tighthead, Fred I think his name was. The Trinity team had the likes of Whicker, Malaki, Moala and Coffill in that team so should be interesting if that same (or close to it) is now their 1st XV

Disclaimer: I have zero inside knowledge. However, I do know that these Trinity boys all played in the 1st XV last year, when they were in Year 11:

Junior Satiu, Jackson McLean, Malaki Tiumalu-Afele, George Corias, Conor Finn, Geoff Coffill, Henry Naylor, Rowland Kotobalavu, Chris Ebeling, Ben Ali Khan, Rihann Barkley-Brown, Manish Poolagasundram, William Burgess - plus I think Michael Goritsas and Justin Fish from Year Ten.

Now, for all I know, these guys may not all be back (by the end of last season, Malaki looked - to this observer - thoroughly sick of school football). But if they are, the bones of a decent side will be there. Satiu, McLean and Coffill add up to a very good front row (fearless prediction: Satiu will represent at some level). Poolagasundram and Malaki add some heft and then Corias, I guess, is the open-side. So, a decent pack, although no obvious answer to the perpetual Trinity line-out shortcomings. And speed to the breakdown could still be an issue.

I have no idea who the halves are. Finn filled in at 10 a couple of times last year when Clark was injured or suspended; perhaps he'll go there this season. But my guess is that the coaches will have wanted a centre pairing of Finn and Kotobalavu, with maybe Naylor and Barkley-Brown on the wings. Perhaps Finn will go to 10 and Ebeling, who did well enough last year (and whose sister certainly livens up the sidelines) will play 12. Full back? No idea. Scrum-half? Don't know.

It would be interesting to hear from someone with more knowledge - I gather Trinity just completed its tour to Japan which may have helped to sort out the squad.

K

kbw

Interest comments re Waverley.
I know a few boys there and some of them will have to have improved a lot last year to be considered for the First XV.
Smirniotis runs rings around Bracewell (unless Jordan has had a huge improvement curve), Dion is a good player but I think JS's size will benefit him.

Avery is a good kid and if he has worked hard he will do OK.
Hopkins well, struggles under any sort of decent pressure and can't handle the physical part of the game. Sounds cruel and I have nothing against him. But he isn't up to it.

Jack Bassett is a huge talent and if he can stay focused will set the field alive.

I would not write off kids like Will Carr, very solid hard working forward and Jackson Breen is very quick and in space will not get caught

C

CASRUGBY13

Interest comments re Waverley.
I know a few boys there and some of them will have to have improved a lot last year to be considered for the First XV.
Smirniotis runs rings around Bracewell (unless Jordan has had a huge improvement curve), Dion is a good player but I think JS's size will benefit him.

Avery is a good kid and if he has worked hard he will do OK.
Hopkins well, struggles under any sort of decent pressure and can't handle the physical part of the game. Sounds cruel and I have nothing against him. But he isn't up to it.

Jack Bassett is a huge talent and if he can stay focused will set the field alive.

I would not write off kids like Will Carr, very solid hard working forward and Jackson Breen is very quick and in space will not get caught

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting revelations about illicit drug use in professional sport.
There are occasional rumours of boys on the "juice" who dramatically lose fat and muscle up incredibly quickly.
I hear its happening occasionally in overseas schoolboy players where big money futures in the professional ranks beckon.
Lets hope Crouch, touch, pause, inject isn't the new call!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox v barker 4th may, Knox gala day

Isn't galah day the first game of the year for Knox? And I thought they generally played a non-CAS school, it has been Oakhill for a while now. Though things can change I guess, and there may be a few games before then, as May does seem a late start for the rugby season.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
May 4th is the first round of CAS comp just after school 2nd term has commences on previous Monday
The Easter break has taken a week out of term 1 and pushed athletics right up to the start of rugby.

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can anyone from the Knox fraternity avise as to whether the "Matt Williams as coach" rumour has come to fruition?

Status
Not open for further replies.