• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So Rugby Ref, you would know the result of the judicial hearing on Monday night, what was the result???

There is no CAS judiciary. Penalties are left up to the school to which the player belongs. The custom (although it's no more than that) is a one-match suspension.

It's hard to follow the criticism of the referee in this case. It seems to be admitted by everyone that the Barker player threw a punch. It doesn't matter that it wasn't much of a punch, or that he was provoked. It's a mandatory red card.

The "provocation" argument, frankly, is dumb. Having watched thousands of Rugby matches over the years, I could not begin to count the number of times I have seen a "provoked" player penalised or carded. Everyone knows that retaliation is likely to lead to a penalty, so it's just a matter of discipline to ignore provocation and trust the officials. If the officials miss foul play, that's bad, but it's better than taking matters into your own hands and being sent off, I would have thought.

Incidentally, if I were the Waverley coach, I would have sent a copy of Saturday's match video over to Trinity first thing on Monday. Waverley really needs Trinity to pull off an upset at Hornsby. I thought that the major plus for Trinity out of a pretty scrappy effort at Cranbrook last week was the performance of fly half Siteine - his defence was really strong. If he can disrupt Smerdon on Saturday, that could give Trinity a glimpse. If.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
It's hard to follow the criticism of the referee in this case. It seems to be admitted by everyone that the Barker player threw a punch. It doesn't matter that it wasn't much of a punch, or that he was provoked. It's a mandatory red card.

The "provocation" argument, frankly, is dumb. Having watched thousands of Rugby matches over the years, I could not begin to count the number of times I have seen a "provoked" player penalised or carded. Everyone knows that retaliation is likely to lead to a penalty, so it's just a matter of discipline to ignore provocation and trust the officials. If the officials miss foul play, that's bad, but it's better than taking matters into your own hands and being sent off, I would have thought.

I remember when I was a ref and my training down at Manly Oval. One thing that was drummed in was being harsh on retaliation. In fact i was told if you saw a player running in as the third man or whatever tell them to keep running to the side line as they were off. No questions asked. You would think that players should be aware of that. You are right that it is discipline. Especially that these days if a side gives away consecutive penalties they will be in trouble. And three consecutive penalties will invariably result in at least three points if not a try. Once upon a time you would see team players try to settle down a team's hot head. Pull them away from the ref and tell them to pull their head in as they would fear the consequences. These days players approach refs too much like soccer players for my liking.

Part of the ethos of rugby is to play for enjoyment and to respect opposition and your own players and also officials. If people don't like that there are plenty of other choices for them to get into.

Anyway back to the rugby. There should be some good games this weekend. A good prelude to the final over in Hamilton at 5.30!!

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is no CAS judiciary. Penalties are left up to the school to which the player belongs. The custom (although it's no more than that) is a one-match suspension.

Thanks for clearing that up. I heard the word "judiciary" mentioned in the crowd on Saturday and assumed that was the way it went. Good to see that it has been unnecessary in the past and would be even better to keep it that way.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Incidentally, if I were the Waverley coach, I would have sent a copy of Saturday's match video over to Trinity first thing on Monday. Waverley really needs Trinity to pull off an upset at Hornsby. I thought that the major plus for Trinity out of a pretty scrappy effort at Cranbrook last week was the performance of fly half Siteine - his defence was really strong. If he can disrupt Smerdon on Saturday, that could give Trinity a glimpse. If.[/quote]

Apart from the obvious reversal of the result between Waverley and Barker, the major difference from the 2 games was Barker gained a lot of turnover ball by holding the ball up and forcing a turnover through a stationary maul.
This did not happen last Saturday giving Waverley much more free ball to attack with. Along with the swarming defence stopping the ball movement out wide by Barker.
Maybe Trinity should work on the pick and drive option and starve Barker of ball. Either Trinity will score or Barker will give away penalties resulting in more on the same or scores.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Incidentally, if I were the Waverley coach, I would have sent a copy of Saturday's match video over to Trinity first thing on Monday. Waverley really needs Trinity to pull off an upset at Hornsby. If.
Double edged sword that...Waves play Trinity at Trinity next weekend in the last game.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know the waverley coach ... but I have only heard good things about him

a former Wallaby and mild mannered Maths teacher

somehow I don't think he'd be the type to be sending videos

but reckon he is a big part of Waves success without all the whoha and the GPS tracking devices

if anything Waverley barely seems to have tackle bags, training cones and other basic training gear ... I don't know how they can run clean-out drills and other things, across their age groups ...

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
A few pages back someone said this try should have been called back. Have sound up and hear Ref yell "advantage over" about 2 secs before Duffy's intercept. Fair Try.

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)
A few pages back someone said this try should have been called back. Have sound up and hear Ref yell "advantage over" about 2 secs before Duffy's intercept. Fair Try.
Sounds like the call came from the sideline barracking the ref!!

Also very short advantage if it was the ref - couple of passes, hadn't made it back to anywhere near the advantage line...doesn't seem like any advantage to me. I actually think the video makes the call look even worse......anyway it's all in the past now & no DRS in schoolboy rugby thank goodness

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Are you talking penalty or scrum advantage? If scrum advantage - there is no requirement for advantage lines or gain lines or the like - the test is along the lines of "controlled" ball similar to a scrum possession.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd just like to make a note, that it isn't Barker complaining. Good on Waverly, they played well, but please don't portray Barker as sore losers that blame the referee. You must remember that (most likely) none of the posters on this thread are members of the Barker firsts team (the coaches don't like players getting involved on here) and as far as I'm aware, none of the boys from the team have openly complained or moaned and groaned about it

Just to clarify in case you weren't aware, I am a barker old boy, ie I was referring to myself just as much as any other barker supporter (key word there was supporter not player). Please don't feel it necessary to give me a dressing down on how good barker is or how well the side has handled something when I am already fully aware.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)

It's not the decision to red card the barker player that I have an issue with, it's the neglect to discipline the Waverley player for punching the said barker player in the head shortly after the incident that is the problem. Like I said both players should have left the field but only one did. I don't blame the ref for this, it's unfortunate and in the past. We can point the finger all we like but at the end of the day the referee cannot act on what he didn't see or wasn't informed on

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't know the waverley coach . but I have only heard good things about him

a former Wallaby and mild mannered Maths teacher

somehow I don't think he'd be the type to be sending videos

but reckon he is a big part of Waves success without all the whoha and the GPS tracking devices

if anything Waverley barely seems to have tackle bags, training cones and other basic training gear . I don't know how they can run clean-out drills and other things, across their age groups .
He doesn't have GPS tracking devices but he does wear a headpiece to communicate to his assistant coach which is probably the most ridiculous investment any school rugby side has ever made

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox leading Cranbrook 25 - 7 with 10 to go. Knox should win, but I think there are still pints in this game and Cranbrook showing spirit and determination. I'm off to the final
2nds: Knox 29 - 5

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
It's not the decision to red card the barker player that I have an issue with, it's the neglect to discipline the Waverley player for punching the said barker player in the head shortly after the incident that is the problem. Like I said both players should have left the field but only one did. I don't blame the ref for this, it's unfortunate and in the past. We can point the finger all we like but at the end of the day the referee cannot act on what he didn't see or wasn't informed on

Do we know what suspension was handed out?

rhc

Frank Row (1)
Great Win today by Barker, particularly a great game from barker's hooker Nick Kennan and Slacksmith was looking 20 kilos lighter (Dont shred to early mate)

Barker

Bob McCowan (2)
"Do we know what suspension was handed out?"

There was no match suspension, however the player was on a 'strict leash.' Any disciplinary issues during the game, no matter how minor, would have resulted in the coach being forced to take the player off, and he would have been suspended for next weekends game. However there were no bumps, its was a smooth game, and in fact the player in question took a very nasty blow and spent the final moments of the game out cold on the pitch.

A win from Barker, 30 something to 10 or so I believe, secures the premiership for Barker college two years on the trot.[/quote]

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
"Do we know what suspension was handed out?"

There was no match suspension, however the player was on a 'strict leash.' Any disciplinary issues during the game, no matter how minor, would have resulted in the coach being forced to take the player off, and he would have been suspended for next weekends game. However there were no bumps, its was a smooth game, and in fact the player in question took a very nasty blow and spent the final moments of the game out cold on the pitch.

A win from Barker, 30 something to 10 or so I believe, secures the premiership for Barker college two years on the trot.
[/quote]

What a joke! Talk about selective discipline! Looks like the rugby master walked all over the Headmaster. Can't lose a star player and risk not winning the Plume Shield.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
What a joke! Talk about selective discipline! Looks like the rugby master walked all over the Headmaster. Can't lose a star player and risk not winning the Plume Shield.
I think you'll find that there were many mitigating factors that would have lead to this 'light' punishment. First, the player would undoubtedly have shown sincere remorse. Second, he has had absolutely no history of violence, and has otherwise been known as an extremely fair player. Third, these punches were thrown to the leg, sure, they were punches and unquestionably violent, but they posed no serious threat to the opposing players wellbeing. Finally, whilst its not an excuse to avoid being sent off, being provoked is definitely a mitigating factor when considering player suspensions. So please tell me, given those factors, why the player is deserving of a suspension. Barker has never refrained from suspending key players from important fixtures before including their 2010 captain and australian schoolboy stu goodman, who recieved a 2 match ban for punching a trinity player. His brother Scott got the same treatment before their final game against the 2nd placed Waverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.