• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think you'll find that there were many mitigating factors that would have lead to this 'light' punishment. First, the player would undoubtedly have shown sincere remorse. Second, he has had absolutely no history of violence, and has otherwise been known as an extremely fair player. Third, these punches were thrown to the leg, sure, they were punches and unquestionably violent, but they posed no serious threat to the opposing players wellbeing. Finally, whilst its not an excuse to avoid being sent off, being provoked is definitely a mitigating factor when considering player suspensions. So please tell me, given those factors, why the player is deserving of a suspension. Barker has never refrained from suspending key players from important fixtures before including their 2010 captain and australian schoolboy stu goodman, who recieved a 2 match ban for punching a trinity player. His brother Scott got the same treatment before their final game against the 2nd placed Waverley.
Simple. Red card, suspension.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's not the decision to red card the barker player that I have an issue with, it's the neglect to discipline the Waverley player for punching the said barker player in the head shortly after the incident that is the problem. Like I said both players should have left the field but only one did. I don't blame the ref for this, it's unfortunate and in the past. We can point the finger all we like but at the end of the day the referee cannot act on what he didn't see or wasn't informed on

Some serious misinformation about this. The Waverley boy did NOT punch anyone. He made a very solid clean out (no fists involved) and this is what left the Barker player groggy.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Waverley 1st XV 35 def St Aloys 1st XV 29

A very good game by St Aloys who really put it to Waverley today.

Several Waverley players did not have their best games today and may have taken St Aloys a bit lightly after their win against Barker last week. a big mistake as the first foray into Waverley half was almost a push over try by a rolling maul at high speed.

Waverley kicking and line outs were unusually both off today (at least in the first half). At half time there was only four points in it with Waves in front.

Aloys scored and took the lead by one. Waverley converted a penalty to lead by two. Aloys scored again and were leading by a point or two (?sorry but game was too interesting to take notes). In the last minutes of the game Waverley spent a bout four minutes trying to cross Aloys line and did so only in the dying seconds after strong Aloys defence. Try converted and ref blew the game for a very close Waverley win.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
When I saw that the Barker player was on today, I asked around, the story I got, was that it all came down to the ref's report, so either he retracted or cast doubt on the original decision. Hopefully that is satisfactory!

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
not what my friends in waverley informed me

I'm from Waverley and have seen the tape. No punches by the Waves player!! It was a fair but hard clean out and thats all. The talk of a retaliatory punch was started about 4 pages back by someone very upset about the red card.

For what its worth I think the Red carded player should have been allowed to play. As you say it was to the leg and not the head. Wave player does not remember being hit!

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
you havent done a good job of convincing me as to why a punch in the leg is as deserving as a punch in the face
Foul play is foul play stomp,punch, whatever no place in game for this.
Fair, hard and legal is the only way that is acceptable.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm from Waverley and have seen the tape. No punches by the Waves player!! It was a fair but hard clean out and thats all. The talk of a retaliatory punch was started about 4 pages back by someone very upset about the red card.

For what its worth I think the Red carded player should have been allowed to play. As you say it was to the leg and not the head. Wave player does not remember being hit!
Fair enough. After asking my waverley friend about the game - and after being extensively reminded of the final scoreline - I was told that a punch was thrown by a waverley player to the said barker players head. That may have occurred prior to the incident but either way it is in the past and we'll leave it there

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Foul play is foul play stomp,punch, whatever no place in game for this.
Fair, hard and legal is the only way that is acceptable.
Thats why he was given a red card... deliberately killing the ball is foul play yet you wouldn't be asking for the player to be suspended

Keen observer

Bob McCowan (2)
you havent done a good job of convincing me as to why a punch in the leg is as deserving as a punch in the face

Just because the kid is a bad shot doesnt change the intent... disappointing that the rules of CAS (red card immediate 1 week suspension) can be discarded so easily - and a shame the school didnt uphold the integrity of the rules and show boys that you play by the rules of the ref whether you think them to be incorrect or not... Maybe next time the cricketer Khawajar is given out he can have a "do over" from the second test because the ump made a mistake.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just because the kid is a bad shot doesnt change the intent. disappointing that the rules of CAS (red card immediate 1 week suspension) can be discarded so easily - and a shame the school didnt uphold the integrity of the rules and show boys that you play by the rules of the ref whether you think them to be incorrect or not. Maybe next time the cricketer Khawajar is given out he can have a "do over" from the second test because the ump made a mistake.

yes, the kid is such a bad shot that he aimed for the head and hit his leg yet he's coordinated enough to be in the first XV of the side that is currently leading the competition... unlikely. The last time I checked the CAS policy is that the school was responsible for further disciplinary actions on a discretionary basis as according to the outcome of the players hearing. The automatic 1 match ban is more a guideline than an actual rule as it assumes a red card would be issued for something very serious. If you read a previous comment, you'll find the decision not to suspend the player was because of the referees report. Enough said on the issue, the kid didn't get suspended - in most peoples opinion he didn't deserve it anyway. You're going to have to deal with it

Keen observer

Bob McCowan (2)
Rules of the association should still stand. If it was an action warranting a red at the time then the application of the rule for red cards by the association should still apply. there is no rule for just a little bit red... even if the ref is a good bloke who wants the game to flow!

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Rules of the association should still stand. If it was an action warranting a red at the time then the application of the rule for red cards by the association should still apply. there is no rule for just a little bit red. even if the ref is a good bloke who wants the game to flow!

Can someone explain why if playing under 19 laws the judiciary is not used as in juniors? Consistency is all we all want. Why should schools be a law unto themselves?

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
post has been removed
I'm sure the headmaster at barker college has a lot more important matters on his mind than being consistent with players sport suspensions. A lot of that seems personal and not really relevant to rugby

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When does the Philip Heath start at Barker?

He is a very good educator and a passionate believer in the value of sport in building character and culture.

He should be a great Head of School.

Status
Not open for further replies.