• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Trinity vs stannies
Cranbrook vs shore

All on Saturday
Thoughts?
Trinity should beat stannies comfortably to indicate title contention
Cranbrook against an improving Shore team that ran away from Aloys last week will be a good indicator of Cranbrook's level and the 2nds match will measure any depth.
On the question of depth - Cranbrook 2nds last year were very competitive and Cranbrook 16As were premiers for the last 2 years - so depth should be fine.
Shore forwards are traditionally very strong and fast - breakdown contest will be very hard fought and will set the platform for the winning team.
Cranbrook back row of Summerhayes Mahoney Makkas will be tested

RugbyHQ

Frank Row (1)
Trinity should beat stannies comfortably to indicate title contention
Cranbrook against an improving Shore team that ran away from Aloys last week will be a good indicator of Cranbrook's level and the 2nds match will measure any depth.
On the question of depth - Cranbrook 2nds last year were very competitive and Cranbrook 16As were premiers for the last 2 years - so depth should be fine.
Shore forwards are traditionally very strong and fast - breakdown contest will be very hard fought and will set the platform for the winning team.
Cranbrook back row of Summerhayes Mahoney Makkas will be tested
Smoking joe I couldn't agree anymore as a CAS RUGBY FAN, I can tell we are going to get along in this forum looking at your profile picture of a true footy fan. Bring back the biff!!!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If my memory serves me right, Waverley were beaten by about 50 in first trial last year at Riverview. We know what happened after that. Everyone wants to write off Waverley why?
i have heard the coaching there is very average and the rugby program well below the other schools

Kev_White1974

Frank Row (1)
I think although Trinity has got some good potential, they are missing some experienced heads in their starting XV. Returning from last year Rihaan Barkley-Brown I feel has to step up and take some leadership as well as George Corias in the forwards. It will be interesting to see what Ikeuchi and Engele have managed to do with the Trinity side, especially it is such a young and somewhat inexperienced forward pack. I don't think the side will start particularly well but I think they could have the ability to surprise a few in the second half of the season. Will also miss Whicker at 9 - I thought he was fantastic last year.

Kev_White1974

Frank Row (1)
Wayland yes - still 16's this year but should definitely get some 1st XV game time. He's very aggressive and strong runner of the ball. Never heard of this Cassen fellow - could just be those fake accounts but I'm not sure

Kev_White1974

Frank Row (1)
Yes, could be interesting! Really? Can't say I've heard of him, but I guess if he's a good player we'll see some of him this year. If he works hard though he could really flourish under Engele/Ikeuchi but we'll just have to sit back and wait. Haha - it seems to be Trinity with all these unheard of players that are supposed to be good players...maybe there could be a few upsets this year!?!?!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Schoolboys—no more one liner conversations talking up your mates or yourselves or just being silly—or the longer versions of the same.

People thought to be doing this will be banned right or wrong.

You fellows are destroying a good thread and remind me of idiots who write graffiti.

Thank you.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
In case anyone has any doubts, Lee is the nice guy.
I'm less tolerant.
These threads can be great, or not, but it's up to you.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
In case anyone has any doubts, Lee is the nice guy.
I'm less tolerant.
These threads can be great, or not, but it's up to you.
I agree with Lee and Cyclopath
One line drivel emanating from one place
These kids probably don't realise that the rep selectors don't read this thread so talking BS just evaporates into thin air and just makes them and the guys they talk up look like idjits

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Guys the CAS comp starts in a few weeks time.

Please let me know in this thread if you are going to a game and are interested in doing a match report when the time comes.

It doesn't have to be War and Peace, we can get a normal sized one and add a couple of small ones to it to make one blog.

Just the vibe of the game and who played well in your opinion especially from the 'other' team. Try to get the score right but there will probably be enough info in this thread to get it right.

Let me know in this thread and I can start a "Conversation" with you later.

If you feel a bit intimidated by doing this just give a post like you are doing a match report and I will lift parts of it, or maybe the whole lot, with your permission.

Thanks guys, I think the CAS is a great comp and it deserves to be covered by Green and Gold.

Cheers

LG

PS please let me know if you can send in some photos to me, or a friend can, and I will send you the details of what is needed.

PPS - I will repeat this message later.

william_wolfgang

Bob McCowan (2)
Highlights of the 2013 Barker 1st XV. Shows the pure class and ruthlessness of the CAS champs. Going 17 and 1 for the season. IMO the best side we have seen for years.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Highlights of the 2013 Barker 1st XV. Shows the pure class and ruthlessness of the CAS champs. Going 17 and 1 for the season. IMO the best side we have seen for years.
I was at the opening game and Baker looked impressive in getting revenge for Knox spoiling their perfect record in the last game of 2012.

Harry Jones was outstanding in that game and he wasn't the only one for the Red Tide.

[And I note that he came off the bench to play 1st Grade for the Warringah Rats last Saturday and didn't look out of place.]

NWilliamson

Frank Row (1)
I saw some of Waverley's first trials and is looks like they have been struggling with up front aggression and often being pushed off their own ball. Coaches seemed to believe new league recruit W. Anderson will slot nicely into the front row with S. Picone and A. Do. With this new found aggression and up front strength backed with the combination of technique and sheer strength throughout the back row, the Waverley pack could be one of the most underrated packs this season.

casrugby12

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity starting 15 this week.
1. Harry McLennan
2. Anthony Nguyen
3. Edward Cook
4. Angus Tonkin
5. Pernell Filipo
6. George Corias
7. Dustin Pham
8. James Wayland
9. Benjamin Halmarick
10. Robert Siteine
11. William Blake
12. Nathaniel Saofia
13. Justin Fish
14. Max Indge
15. Rihann Barkley-Brown

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone have a likely first XV for Waverley or even the team that played Cranbook.
I also have heard they are not that strong this year (although a little surprised). I know next year or esp 2016 they will be a very decent side. Their 16As should do very well

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Shore 19-18 over Cranbrook
Very even game with Cranbrook leading for the entire match until last phase when shore scored converted try to win with the last kick of the game
Not brilliant rugby but hard fought forward battle and some good moves amongst the backs
Cranbrook were missing 5 forwards and it showed at the breakdown where shore just shaded them. Cranbrook scrum and line out solid.
Backs showing some pace and skill - not flashy but running straight and good draw and pass.
Good goal kicking by fly half

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shore 19-18 over Cranbrook
Very even game with Cranbrook leading for the entire match until last phase when shore scored converted try to win with the last kick of the game
Not brilliant rugby but hard fought forward battle and some good moves amongst the backs
Cranbrook were missing 5 forwards and it showed at the breakdown where shore just shaded them. Cranbrook scrum and line out solid.
Backs showing some pace and skill - not flashy but running straight and good draw and pass.
Good goal kicking by fly half

very surprised with that scoreline. Cranbrook must be decent this year given their performance against Waverley also. Would be good to see them maintain it throughout the season and give the likes of Knox, Barker, and Trinity a good run. I know Barker played (or are playing) Oak Hill today but unfortunately I couldn't make it all the way out to Castle Hill to watch it. Good form Cranbrook, looking forward to the first round of CAS!!! Anyone have any info on tours? I don't even know where barker are going this year, I'd assume Queensland given the recent pattern they follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.