• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
By my reckoning Cranbrook is top of the table on points difference mainly due to miserly defence (they have scored a lot of points too).
Only 35 points against them - 17 by Aloys in the first round but since then 7 from Barker, 3 from Waverley and 8 from Trinity.
Next Saturday at Cranbrook will be a cracker!

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
By my reckoning Cranbrook is top of the table on points difference mainly due to miserly defence (they have scored a lot of points too).
Only 35 points against them - 17 by Aloys in the first round but since then 7 from Barker, 3 from Waverley and 8 from Trinity.
Next Saturday at Cranbrook will be a cracker!

Only after the powerful Knox pack softens up the opposition a week before.
I mean look at what Knox left in its wake after destroying Trinity.

Wayne McLean

Peter Burge (5)
As an enthusiast and avid follower Cranbrook v Knox is shaping up as a beauty at Rose Bay. Cranbrook are clinical and mistake free. Knox have all the players but are prone to dumb rugby. In a tight match, my head and heart say Cranbrook. Salivating at the match-ups! Great to see 2 CAS teams who could match it with the best of the GPS. Bring it on!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I popped down to the Cranbrook v Trinity game today. I'm a few beers deep at the moment, but in a nutshell:
- The Cranbrook backrow is excellent. They were strong ball runners (particularly the 8) and Trinity could barely hold onto the ball for more than a couple of phases, except for a period in the middle of the game where the Cranbrook boys seemed to take their foot off the pedal a bit.
- 10. Renton is one hell of a player, but is pretty prone to booting the ball away, including a few pretty mindless ones - a different opposition could have cashed in. He looks very impressive when he actually runs the ball, so I hope he learns to trust himself a bit more with that option.
- Cranbrook were very good, but assisted by some average play from Trinity - particularly in terms of handling, and getting numbers lined up in defence. Overlaps were everywhere to be had, particularly down the right wing.
- For the props out there, the Cranbrook loosehead had a monster run that he'll be talking about forever. Good on him.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Also, despite what I said about the rucks being dominated by Cranbrook, the Trinity 7 seems a good and willing player.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
I popped down to the Cranbrook v Trinity game today. I'm a few beers deep at the moment, but in a nutshell:
- The Cranbrook backrow is excellent.
- 10. Renton is one hell of a player, but is pretty prone to booting the ball away, including a few pretty mindless ones - a different opposition could have cashed in. He looks very impressive when he actually runs the ball, so I hope he learns to trust himself a bit more with that option.
- For the props out there, the Cranbrook loosehead had a monster run that he'll be talking about forever. Good on him.
Cranbrook loose head is Tom Hill - NSW under 16s las year - getting better all the time

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
- The Cranbrook backrow is excellent. They were strong ball runners (particularly the 8) and Trinity could barely hold onto the ball for more than a couple of phases, except for a period in the middle of the game where the Cranbrook boys seemed to take their foot off the pedal a bit.
- Cranbrook were very good, but assisted by some average play from Trinity - particularly in terms of handling, and getting numbers lined up in defence. Overlaps were everywhere to be had, particularly down the right wing.

I agree regarding the back row, the No.8 is a stand out in defense and attack. Renton look so affine running player and goal kicker. His general playing kicking and passing is not as good. He would be a great fullback in a CAS team as his kick return attack is outstanding.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Saw 4 games of rugby at Queens Park yesterday and have to say an unfortunate trend emerged. Waverley teams started out playing competitive rugby, but once they fell behind on the scoreboard were more interested in the fight than the game. Numerous head high tackles and other foul play. The Waverley boys in the stand loudly cheered every high tackle and dust up.

Absolute low point was just into the second half of the 2nds match - Waverley 4 was reported by both touch judges and given a red card (punching and possible head butt). As he walked off the Waverley boys in the stand yelled out 3 cheers for "name" (I won't name the player) and proceeded with the 3 cheers and applause. The coach did not speak to the player about letting the side down etc.

This crowd behavior and the terrible playing discipline suggest ... well i'm not sure what. But schoolboy rugby has a particular code that was not evident yesterday. This was not a few isolated incidents, it was a clear pattern of behavior.

On a positive note i thought the referees did an excellent job under difficult conditions and i congratulate Waverley on supplying accredited touch judges for so many games (something Barker regularly fails at).

The Oracle

Stan Wickham (3)
As an enthusiast and avid follower Cranbrook v Knox is shaping up as a beauty at Rose Bay. Cranbrook are clinical and mistake free. Knox have all the players but are prone to dumb rugby. In a tight match, my head and heart say Cranbrook. Salivating at the match-ups! Great to see 2 CAS teams who could match it with the best of the GPS. Bring it on!
I admire your enthusiasm and optimism but think you are overstating the case for CAS teams. From my humble opinion I think the majority of the CAS 1sts will be made up of the the Under 16s from two years ago . That is if the the team lists put up here so far are accurate. That team was lapped. Only able to beat a CCC team cobbled together at the last minute. GPS had two teams that played in the final if I remember. Many of those boys will return and a number of the excellent CHS team has also found their way into the GPS competition. Hope I am proven wrong.

Ruddigar Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
I admire your enthusiasm and optimism but think you are overstating the case for CAS teams. From my humble opinion I think the majority of the CAS 1sts will be made up of the the Under 16s from two years ago . That is if the the team lists put up here so far are accurate. That team was lapped. Only able to beat a CCC team cobbled together at the last minute. GPS had two teams that played in the final if I remember. Many of those boys will return and a number of the excellent CHS team has also found their way into the GPS competition. Hope I am proven wrong.
I think he is referring to the two actual CAS teams, Knox and Cranbrook, who actually have proven to be competent with the best of GPS. Knox beating Newington by 50 and losing by 10 to Joeys, and Cranbrook losing by a point to Shore.

The Oracle

Stan Wickham (3)
I think he is referring to the two actual CAS teams, Knox and Cranbrook, who actually have proven to be competent with the best of GPS. Knox beating Newington by 50 and losing by 10 to Joeys, and Cranbrook losing by a point to Shore.
Yes I understand that but Newington are not strong in this age group. They put all their eggs in last years basket and Shore I am not sure about. Seeing Knox and Cranbrook should dominate the rep team selection I was alluding to that being the real test.

Ruddigar Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I understand that but Newington are not strong in this age group. They put all their eggs in last years basket and Shore I am not sure about. Seeing Knox and Cranbrook should dominate the rep team selection I was alluding to that being the real test.
True, but if you watch the games, you will notice that both Knox and Cranbrook are reliant on being heavily drilled and playing to solid structures, which aren't carried through to The CAS teams necessarily. Shore beat kings yesterday and Newington actually got up on Joeys.

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)

Don't forget the new players on scholarships who didn't play for u16 2 years ago, it's whole new beast when you add those players in.

Qsource

Frank Row (1)
Knox vs aloys was a game of two halfs. In the first half aloys played with discipline and structure, and really took it to Knox making it look like an upset was possible. Aloys spent a long period of time inside Knox's 22, however were only rewarded by a single try (similar to last week at barker where aloys had plenty of opportunities but couldn't convert them). Where as Knox's scored two tries in the first half despite spending much less time in the aloys red zone. However the second half was a different story with Knox's big forward pack crippling the aloys defence where most of tries came from in a 2nd half blowout. Knox played with structure in the second half and had a lot of front foot ball, with thier 9 giving good ball to the forwards with the 2 crossing 3 times in a great performance. With the exception of the Knox 13 and 9 I didn't the think their backs were that flashy. For aloys, they showed large potential in the first twenty minutes. In the forwards Nolan the second rower did well in the lineout and scored a good try, and the 7 made numerous great tackles and pilfers. I feel aloys should get a win next week up against Waverley, and if they can play with consistency for a full game, I imagine they will get a couple more.

Status
Not open for further replies.