• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Earlier bit edited out

I wouldn't be surprised seeing him play in the 4ths XV. The game would have ended completely differently without him there. If Waverley are looking for their problem its right in front of their face

Read the rules if you want to stay around @Gilbertrunner.
They have served us well for several years.

Go to other on line forums or social media platforms if you want to carry on in this manner.

I'm reading the Grassroots forum every day now. I reckon a few people aren't getting it. Let me make it clear.
1. Speak respectfully to each other

Change: "What planet are you on? Player X was shithouse . "
To: "I didn't see it that way, I thought .

2. Speak respectfully about the players

Change: "Lazy fat bugger with no rugby brains"
To: "Needs to come off his wing and get more involved"

Not only are these statement more respectful, they are more accurate. "Lazy bugger" doesn't mean anything specific.

There will be no more warnings. The standard first offence ban around here is 14 days. Expect to see a few shortly.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I still contend that your expectations are too high - several of the breaks by Trinity 1, 12 & 15 were powerful or illusive breaks - not examples of poor defence, similarly the breaks by Waves 10.

To those who say McLennan was yellow-carded for a fairly innocuous tackle (that did involve an element of lifting) - it may have been innocuous, but the legs of the tackled player went past the horizontal & so automatic "Yellow".

Au contra ire, I didn't see any break made from a nice step or a really well weighted or deceptive pass - it was more a case of a hard runner running at someone or a gap and either you make yards or bust the poor tackle. Neither team had to create any breaks - they sorta just happened. Although it's not comparing like with like, I saw the Waverley 16As and they appeared more willing to create a situation than the 1sts. It didn't always come off but they appeared to be much more inventive.

The Trinity #15 does have a good step (and I think he's the goalkicker and if it is him he's deadly). Also re the #1 getting carded, as soon as it happened he had to go as there is zero tolerance for 'above the horizontal'. No malice about the tackle - it just happened. The more disappointing thing was, having made the mistake and been carded he didn't even raise a hand as a sorry to either the guy he tackled or his team mates who he let down. Even professional rugby players make an effort to make evident their 'apology' - it was disappointing to see him appear to think he was the aggrieved party. The other two yellow cards were way down the other end of the field so I have no idea what went on there - I probably had my head buried in my jacket as well it was so cold.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My take on the McLennan issue was that he didn't lift the tackled player to, let alone past, the horizontal - but the referee had been firm and consistent on this aspect of the game so McLennan could have no complaint about the card. In my view, the referee took a pretty cautious approach, and applied the rule over-strictly, but as he was consistent and dangerous tackles are a good thing to be cautious about, I thought it was fair enough.

As for the player's reaction - well, standards of sportsmanship aren't what they were. When both coaching benches spent most of the game dispensing advice to the referee, maybe we can't expect much more of a player.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Trinity 40 bt Waverley 23

Last second drop goal by Wav fullback

Looking forward to your report :)

Did he get the drop goal? I thought he missed it to the right... they put it up on the score board but there were Waverley spectators who thought he missed too.

Mind you, their viewing angle wasn't that great.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Au contra ire, I didn't see any break made from a nice step or a really well weighted or deceptive pass - it was more a case of a hard runner running at someone or a gap and either you make yards or bust the poor tackle. Neither team had to create any breaks - they sorta just happened. Although it's not comparing like with like, I saw the Waverley 16As and they appeared more willing to create a situation than the 1sts. It didn't always come off but they appeared to be much more inventive.

The Trinity #15 does have a good step (and I think he's the goalkicker and if it is him he's deadly). Also re the #1 getting carded, as soon as it happened he had to go as there is zero tolerance for 'above the horizontal'. No malice about the tackle - it just happened. The more disappointing thing was, having made the mistake and been carded he didn't even raise a hand as a sorry to either the guy he tackled or his team mates who he let down. Even professional rugby players make an effort to make evident their 'apology' - it was disappointing to see him appear to think he was the aggrieved party. The other two yellow cards were way down the other end of the field so I have no idea what went on there - I probably had my head buried in my jacket as well it was so cold.

BJ, there were a couple of very nice breaks from the Trinity 15. Quite an elusive runner for a small chap. I didn't see him kick any goals, it was one of the wingers that was slotting them.

In any case, from your posts, it appears that you had set some high expectations for these two teams (who others have predicted might finish the season close to the bottom of the ladder).

All I can say is that it was pretty much the first game of the season, other than the trials which don't necessarily count, of school boys who play a handful of games each year. If you're looking for rock solid defence, dazzling game plays or scything runs then you would be better off watching the Tahs. Oh. Hang on. :oops:

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
For Trinity, 1 McLennan was best on ground; really mobile, and an impact player in attack and defence. 5 Rasch controlled the line out and was good around the park. The back row, Corias, Davies and Wayland were all good. 15 Barkley-Brown was terrific in attack and defence. 2 Nguyen was solid.

For Waverley, 10 Paterson broke the line almost at will. 4 Carr, 2 McKenna and 6 Wright had very strong games.

I don't think I've ever seen a Waverley side so short on pace. With even one support runner following Paterson on the break, they could have scored another three tries. But even though Paterson isn't all that quick, no-one could keep up with him.

Just on the line outs, I thought that this was the best I'd seen the Trinity line out perform for the past two or three seasons. They even won a couple of the opposition throws, and showed enough confidence in their own jumpers to be contesting 5 metres from their own try line.

Rasch hobbled off near the end of the game so hopefully it is nothing too serious.

btw, I think your assessment of the game was spot on.

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
I think it was more of a case of comparing this game with previous ones I had seen between the teams, as well as the fact that I froze my arse off watching it ! They both look like smaller teams from years past, and they appear to be less skilful at the same time which didn't make for good viewing. I know both teams tried as all schoolboy teams do, but I will stand by my claim that neither the attack nor the defence was anywhere near what I would call impressive. A pretty poor game even with the benefit of 24 hours distance from watching it. I agree with another person's comment regarding the lack of pace in Waverley. The kick restarts from them were largely uncontested which gave Trinity an easy response - the kicks were maybe a little too deep but there was rarely any Waverley player in a position to pressure the receiver.

Your a hard man to impress sir...
Maybe a trip to Auckland to watch the 1st XV's from the big rugby schools
there would satisfy your hunger for the perfect game.
If your lucky enough you would get to witness the ferocious school Hakas while enjoying a mouth watering hangi.
And don't forget to take your swanndri as you would definitely freeze your @$$
off.
I'm also one that gets frustrated seeing the elite of the school make very basic fundamental mistakes both in offence and defence, especially when there is no applied pressure, but at a the end of the day the youngsters are trying their best for their team mates and their school.

Peace out bro :) :D

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
Did he get the drop goal? I thought he missed it to the right. they put it up on the score board but there were Waverley spectators who thought he missed too.

Mind you, their viewing angle wasn't that great.

I stand corrected my friend.. I saw the drop kick then the score board as I was running to the car to warm my frozen fingers lol.
And I have just got confirmation that it did miss thanks.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I stand corrected my friend.. I saw the drop kick then the score board as I was running to the car to warm my frozen fingers lol.
And I have just got confirmation that it did miss thanks.

I also relied on the scoreboard, which put the three points up pretty quickly. It's not of huge importance. Incidentally, the scores posted on the CAS website are hopelessly wrong - there it says Trinity scored five tries, three goals and three penalty goals whereas it was actually six tries and five goals.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Trinity #15 does have a good step (and I think he's the goalkicker and if it is him he's deadly).

Actually, the goals were kicked by 13 Justin Fish, and then after he went off, by 11 Ryan Longville. Fish kicked 2/2, Longville 3/5.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
However...

What's interesting now is next Saturday. It takes more than one result to determine how a season will go, and there should be two very interesting games at least. You'd have to say that, on form to date, Knox will account for Waverley. But the other two games look very tight. Barker and Cranbrook should be a cracker - and the result should tell us a lot about the respective strengths of the sides. In round one, Barker lost to the competition favourites, and Cranbrook beat a side likley to finish in the bottom half of the table. This game should tell us quite a bit about how the competition will pan out - it's the first real test of the extent of Cranbrook's revival and Barker's (relative) decline from the dominance of the last two seasons. Barker will need their half-back pair, Kirkby and Smerdon, back on deck - I don't know how serious their injuries are.

As for Trinity and St Aloysius - well, that game is always an odd one. Even when one of those schools is having a bad year, they always look to this game as one they should win - and, indeed, St Aloysius won both games last year, even though Trinity finished third on the table.

My instinct is it will be Cranbrook and Trinity, but really both games could be extremely close.

Qsource

Frank Row (1)
St Aloysius showed some promise in their opening match, but showed some flaws as well.
The forwards appeared to struggle against the cranbrook boys especially in the scrum. However no 7 Liam sheil dick had a good game before being concussed. What will be worrying for aloysius is the absence of big man William Haliday who appeared to be wearing a cast on his wrist to the match, who key to the line out, scrum and defence. An improved defence structure is needed by the forwards, fourtanely for aloys that's fixable. Aloys also boast a humongous prop which could be worrying for oppositions

The backs showed potential however struggled with little possession but showed some big potential with Rory vevers making some monster hits. The Lawson vevers dainton combination has the potential to be the best 10-12-13 combination in the competiton. Fullback dunlop seemed nervous and made some mistakes, however with more experience could see him capture some of his 16s CAS form from last year using his afl skills to create a scary counter attack with a winger who looks more like a forward.

Overall with an improved defence aloysius rugby has the potential to start piling up some wins, with what appears to be good depth in 1s and 2s

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
By the way, does anyone know who scored the last try for Trinity? It was number 21 or 22, but there were so many substitutes on the field by then it was hard to tell who was who.

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news on injuries from the weekend?

Trinity...

#5. Pernell Filipo. Foot/ankle.
#13. Justin Fish. Dislocated shoulder.

Filipo will be badly missed, he was the money man at the line outs and was all over the field. Fish also with his goal kicking.
Both very hard men to replace!

NWilliamson

Frank Row (1)
Watching the dying moments of the Trinity/Waverley game it looked like Waverley no.10 Paterson finished the game with what looked like a shoulder injury. The most likely replacement for this is seconds scrum half M.Smallington. Smallington made slotting through gaps at the ruck look too easy and may be the answer to Waverley's far from advanced backline.

Will post more on the extent of the injury when it has been clarified

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
BJ, there were a couple of very nice breaks from the Trinity 15. Quite an elusive runner for a small chap. I didn't see him kick any goals, it was one of the wingers that was slotting them.

In any case, from your posts, it appears that you had set some high expectations for these two teams (who others have predicted might finish the season close to the bottom of the ladder).

All I can say is that it was pretty much the first game of the season, other than the trials which don't necessarily count, of school boys who play a handful of games each year. If you're looking for rock solid defence, dazzling game plays or scything runs then you would be better off watching the Tahs. Oh. Hang on. :oops:

Whoever the goal kicker is, he will likely win them games that are tight this year if he keeps that form up. Yes, I know it was the first game which is why I expected the teams to be really fired up for it. Even allowing for it being the first proper game there wasn't much to write home about for either team. More for Trinity obviously, but not much more. I still say that a good team will be able to put quite a few points on either of these teams this year. Happy to be proven wrong, particularly for Waverley's sake.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Actually, the goals were kicked by 13 Justin Fish, and then after he went off, by 11 Ryan Longville. Fish kicked 2/2, Longville 3/5.

Hard kicking day with the wind so hats off to the ones they got - particularly the conversion from the touchline into the wind.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
St Aloysius showed some promise in their opening match, but showed some flaws as well.
The forwards appeared to struggle against the cranbrook boys especially in the scrum. However no 7 Liam sheil dick had a good game before being concussed. What will be worrying for aloysius is the absence of big man William Haliday who appeared to be wearing a cast on his wrist to the match, who key to the line out, scrum and defence. An improved defence structure is needed by the forwards, fourtanely for aloys that's fixable. Aloys also boast a humongous prop which could be worrying for oppositions

The backs showed potential however struggled with little possession but showed some big potential with Rory vevers making some monster hits. The Lawson vevers dainton combination has the potential to be the best 10-12-13 combination in the competiton. Fullback dunlop seemed nervous and made some mistakes, however with more experience could see him capture some of his 16s CAS form from last year using his afl skills to create a scary counter attack with a winger who looks more like a forward.

Overall with an improved defence aloysius rugby has the potential to start piling up some wins, with what appears to be good depth in 1s and 2s

Clearly written by either a player or kid from Aloysius - one thing aloys doesn't have is depth as shown on the weekend. What they do have is heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qsource

Frank Row (1)
A recent old boy actually. I'm willing to admit cranbrook played significantly better on the day especially in the forwards (however have some areas to improve on), and aloys needs to fix their defence especially for against Knox and barker. However I believe aloys has strong potential, evidence by their high placing in the 16as last year and on the basis of my other comments (which as an former student I saw develop). That being said I would be just as happy if cranbrook won CAS (dethroning Knox or barker) which is very possible with the way they played. That being said scythe admit I know little about aloys depth, my commment about depth was on the basis of the small part of the seconds game I watched.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
CAS Rd # 2 – Sat 10th May
St. Aloysius’ v Trinity
Cranbrook v Barker
Knox v Waverley

The Cranbrook/ Barker game should be the match of the round. Aloys vs Trinity could be an entertaining affair with Trinity coming through at the end. Both sides seem to be a bit light on with depth.
You would think Knox should account for Waverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.