• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
On the waverley front, what will be interesting is how the current juniors progress. I would suggest their 15s and younger, are all relatively strong age groups

So how they perform in the next few years will be interesting

And whether, Cornish, remains with 15s ... Or what the plan is there?

Can't Scotty camm build them a scrum machine , that doubles as a surf craft in the summer ;)

and maybe even Scotty, could landscape something that might help the kids kick a footy at Birrell street

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
1sts Barker won 21-0 (3 tries 3 conversions)
2nds Barker won 51-10 (9 tries 3 conversions)
3rds Barker won 72-7 (12 tries 6 conversions)

1sts was an arm wrestle with Barker finishing opportunities a little better, and saved by good scrambling defence in the second half. Return of Kirkby (B9) and Smerdon (B10) made a big difference.Overall a pretty scrappy game. Kirkby has a great pass and in defence is like an extra loose forward. Smerdon is such a danger because he runs fast at the line and the defence has to respect his pass, kick, and ability to break the line. Both looked less than 100% fit, so with an extra week or rehab should be back on track.

B13 had a great game. Interesting point of comparison on rep selection re Watson (K13)and Vevers (A13). Watson made B13 look very ordinary beat him several times in attack and contained him totally in defence. By comparison Vevers managed little in attack and B13 made several storming runs and scored a try. B13 is a very fast lad and Watson made him look like he had lead in his boots, both in attack and defence.

The Barker coaching system was evident in the lower games with 2nds and 3rds playing very structured games to demolish a less well drilled opponent. Man for man the Aloys 2nds and 3rds didn't look nearly as bad as the score suggests, they just didn't work well as a team

Rugbymaster66

Stan Wickham (3)
On the waverley front, what will be interesting is how the current juniors progress. I would suggest their 15s and younger, are all relatively strong age groups

So how they perform in the next few years will be interesting

And whether, Cornish, remains with 15s . Or what the plan is there?

Can't Scotty camm build them a scrum machine , that doubles as a surf craft in the summer ;)

and maybe even Scotty, could landscape something that might help the kids kick a footy at Birrell street

The loss of Cornish to the Waverley 1st XV has probably been the schools biggest blow in sporting, he has been coaching the 1st XV for 10+ years and to throw 2 new coaches in to coach a 1st XV side, it's going to be a tough year for them.

I'm fairly sure Cornish has said he will not be returning to 1st XV as his son is coming through (Liam Cornish 15) and it has been rumoured he does not want to coach his own son in a 1st XV level.

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Exactly my point Snort . it's not all doom and gloom for Waverley, and all the criticism of the coaching at the school is exaggerated due to them losing games.

It seems the Waves are missing a big centre that played last year in Year 10 Simondes or similar. I think the loss of their forwards coach and the lack of support for Cornish are key factors. That being said, the old Waves mind set of if not good enough , bash them, seems to be missing as well. No niggle or enforcement to put Cranbrook off their game.
I also understand that the Cranbrook 16as have won the last 2 years so this is the culmination of some good talent lining up in the opens. Although, has there ever been a score line of that nature at QP against Cranbrook ?

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
The level of despondency coming from Waverely is a bit silly. It's going to be a tough season. But no-one stays on top for ever. Knox looks set to win the competition this season, and three years ago I saw Trinity beat them 73-10. The wheel turns.

Particularly when Centenaries etc. don't influence enrollment policy. It is fair to say the competition is weaker this year, it will be a tough one in the rep fixtures.

S

sidelineview

It seems the Waves are missing a big centre that played last year in Year 10 Simondes or similar. I think the loss of their forwards coach and the lack of support for Cornish are key factors. That being said, the old Waves mind set of if not good enough , bash them, seems to be missing as well. No niggle or enforcement to put Cranbrook off their game.
I also understand that the Cranbrook 16as have won the last 2 years so this is the culmination of some good talent lining up in the opens. Although, has there ever been a score line of that nature at QP against Cranbrook ?

Waverley 16As defeated Cranbrook yesterday; there are some young kids playing 1sts this year and some promising youngsters coming through the 15s and 14s. A good team could emerge in the next few years at Waverley. They could do with a bit more 'mongrel' in their play, but they held their own against Cranbrook in the first half and won the second half against Knox the week before .....

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
One surprise I got from Aloys was the little amount of reserves used. In the previous two weeks they have used 3-4+ players of the bench and I there was only a blood bin replacement for a short period of time this week. Not sure if this is because of a lack of injuries this week in the team or a coaching strategy.

baboom

Frank Row (1)
South Harbour Team

1. Ethan Micallef (w)
2. Liam Malloy (w)
3. Liam Smith (w)
4. Lachlan Drew-Morris (w)
5. Zach Brown (w)
6. Mackenzie Matters (c)
7. James Wayland (t)
8. Andrew Spira (c)
9. Tyzac Bailey (w)
10. Ryan Longville (t)
11. Jordan Morris (t)
12. Jaya Yoannidis (w)
13. Harry Stewart (c)
14. ?
15. ?

baboom

Frank Row (1)
Both Mackenzie Matters and Jack Smith from the cranbrook 16 A's forward pack having a great game on the weekend v Waverly. Definately two solid players to consider for South Harbour.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Waverley 16As defeated Cranbrook yesterday; there are some young kids playing 1sts this year and some promising youngsters coming through the 15s and 14s. A good team could emerge in the next few years at Waverley. They could do with a bit more 'mongrel' in their play, but they held their own against Cranbrook in the first half and won the second half against Knox the week before ...
agree they just need some outside help next year, and by outside i dont mean throwing the kitchen sink. Cranbrook have done a great job over the last 5 years with there program

RugbyKnowledge

Frank Row (1)
north harbour team????

Aloys under 16A team I'd think would have a couple of north harbour boys in it this year. They have had 3 big wins against cranbrook, trinity and barker. Of course next week against knox will be the real test for the team but I'd expect them to finish 1st or 2nd depending on next week in the competition.

I think these boys will make the side
6 and 7 Hardina brothers
10 dainton
12 Jeffery
14 Fane
15 Slaven

Forwards lack in the team but backline is very strong.

Luiten

Bob McCowan (2)
Aloys under 16A team I'd think would have a couple of north harbour boys in it this year. They have had 3 big wins against cranbrook, trinity and barker. Of course next week against knox will be the real test for the team but I'd expect them to finish 1st or 2nd depending on next week in the competition.

I think these boys will make the side
6 and 7 Hardina brothers
10 dainton
12 Jeffery
14 Fane
15 Slaven

Forwards lack in the team but backline is very strong.

Leo Bosch from Knox will be the North Harbour 15, no question.

RugbyKnowledge

Frank Row (1)
Leo Bosch from Knox will be the North Harbour 15, no question.

Aloysius 15 Slaven is best in that Aloysius side equal with 10 Matt Dainton. Next week will be a great match to put Leo Bosch and Slaven against each other but I would definitely see Slaven in the side. If not at 15 at 9 which he played last year. Considering Aloysius is playing so well this year in the 16s age group Slaven should be in the North Harbour team.

Luiten

Bob McCowan (2)
Aloysius 15 Slaven is best in that Aloysius side equal with 10 Matt Dainton. Next week will be a great match to put Leo Bosch and Slaven against each other but I would definitely see Slaven in the side. If not at 15 at 9 which he played last year. Considering Aloysius is playing so well this year in the 16s age group Slaven should be in the North Harbour team.

I agree Slaven is a great player and should be in the side but Leo Bosch has been playing 15 since year 7 and should be put there for North Harbour. Bosch also possesses a superb range of kicking skill.

RugbyKnowledge

Frank Row (1)
Aloysius vs Barker game 21-0, although the score board didn't do testament to Aloysius effort. Aloysius had 5 changes this week from reports from some of the boys. To the 9, 12, 14, 1, 2. Positionally from what I could see 12 Lawson has moved to full back, full back cummerford moved to wing, and hocker nikopoulos moved to prop . 12 Renshaw, 9 Thomas, prop Hampton, 6 stylianakis and 2 stene moved up from 2nds. I think forwards showed more grunt this week. Lot of changes though.
Any opinion on this coaching decision?

mickey insane

Frank Row (1)
hi all quick thing on the 3 major contenders from knox
15 or 9- bosch. around (72.4kg) great passing skills along with kicking he is a suberb tackler and barley anyone will get past. him he should make north harbour
12- armstrong- id say around ( 78.kg) posibly strongest palm in the whole 16's CAS comp with a freak like nature will the ball can do anything you ask him also very good at winning the ball
5-margin- ( 90's kg , look at his thighs..) very strong runner and low body height when going into a ruck has good upper body strength and strong lower legs, has a good bump off when running as was shown in the game on saturday and has very good handskills and offloads is a freak at them. maybe even a potenial Number 8 for north harbour???

with the selections coming up for north harbour and south harbour lets not bag out players and lets talk about potenial players and teams instead of bagging teams and players..

Status
Not open for further replies.