• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Depending on the result against Aloys this week, I doubt anyone associated with a Cranbrook premiership, if that's the way it pans out, will be red faced. Should Cranbrook win, perhaps Knox will look back on their 2014 performance at Queens Park and be red faced for years to come. Winners tend to remember their triumphs, losers tend to dwell on "what ifs".

I think losing 57-16 (sorry if I got the scoreline wrong, I lost count) would leave anybody red-faced, regardless of the circumstances in which you lost.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is anybody going to Knox v Baker who can do a match report?

Also would appreciate it if anybody can do a few photos of C v A and K v B.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
Although watching cranbrooks professional super rugby style of taking the points at any opportunity makes washing my hair a far more entertaining and viable alternative.[/quote]

I'm happy do declare a Cranbrook bias (developed over the previous 6 years watching them struggle, first hand) but you apparently didn't see their home game against Trinity (tryfest) or their home win against Knox, where the only penalty kick was converted right on full time to break the 2 try apiece deadlock. Admittedly, in 3 of their 9 games this year they have kicked more penalties than scored tries but in a close game with an infringement within kicking distance, isn't the correct decision to 'take the points?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here's something I'd like to know before the weekend.

Three years ago, I was told that the CAS had decided that, in the event that teams finsihed with the same number of wins in the Plume Shield, the premiership would be decided on points for-and-against. I was told this by someone at Trinity who insisted that this was why the team was so intent on racking up big scores (474 points in 10 games although, as they won all ten, the point was moot).

So - is this actually a rule (it isn't published anywhere on the CAS website)?

It matters because, if it is the rule, if Knox beats Barker and St Aloysius beats Cranbrook on Saturday, Knox will be the premiers. If it isn't the rule, then in that scenario, and assuming there's no other tie-breaking mechanism, the premiership will be shared.

Does anyone actually know the answer to this one?

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
Which schools have produced the most wallabies? That may be a better indicator?

I wonder how Knox would fare in the gps system this year.

You're commenting on a post referring to the oval and surrounding facilities at Knox (although I preferred it when the far side of the ground was not restricted access - I'm one of those spectators that likes to move up and down the sideline to get a close view of the action throughout the game).
But regarding your musings about Knox's chances in the GPS system, I think the GPS vs. CAS result (all grades) and the ScotsVs. Cranbrook results may be indicative of the difference, although far from definitive.
*Please note that this is a speculative opinion based only on limited first hand observations, by no means is the above comment to be taken as fact*

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Which schools have produced the most wallabies? That may be a better indicator?

I wonder how Knox would fare in the gps system this year.

I think you misinterpreted me. I was just saying it is an excellent ground, and always a big crowd when they play Barker.

As to your GPS question - CAS and GPS have very different approaches when it comes to rugby. Not a lot of point comparing really...

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm one of those spectators that likes to move up and down the sideline to get a close view of the action throughout the game).

Me too. The far touchline at Sydney University Oval is great for this. Most schools have now banned this, sadly.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Three years ago, I was told that the CAS had decided that, in the event that teams finsihed with the same number of wins in the Plume Shield, the premiership would be decided on points for-and-against.

So - is this actually a rule (it isn't published anywhere on the CAS website)?

https://waverley.haikulearning.com/c/750675/file/show/4899925

This version (2012) of the By-Laws says joint premiership (see para 4.2). Not sure if it has changed since.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)

Three years ago, I was told that the CAS had decided that, in the event that teams finsihed with the same number of wins in the Plume Shield, the premiership would be decided on points for-and-against. I was told this by someone at Trinity <snip>
Who told you?
Because nobody else was told either officially or unofficially and if there is no written minute of any change then it's just hearsay
The written CAS rules haven't altered.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)

It matters because, if it is the rule, if Knox beats Barker and St Aloysius beats Cranbrook on Saturday, Knox will be the premiers. If it isn't the rule, then in that scenario, and assuming there's no other tie-breaking mechanism, the premiership will be shared.

Does anyone actually know the answer to this one?

There were co-premiers in 2009 and I believe that the worst Cranbrook think may happen is a shared premiership. So I guess it could be shared. And it could be a big guess as well as a moot point.
One thing of interest is that since 2009, five of the six schools will have won the Rugby (albeit shared in 2009). The only non-winner,Aloys, may have two current Wallabies- MCCabe and Foley. (Of course depending on selection...)
That is not a bad spread of teams and would indicate that the competition (basically) works. Probably still needs some work though.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Good stat = healthy comp
That's right on the money
The CAS teams are mainly derived from the boys who chose to go to those schools with "minimal" distortion by others.
The skewing of the competition is much less than in GPS and so it allows every school to be competitive - school vs school is so much fairer than high performance academy vs high performance academy!
Each team runs out each week knowing that they can win.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who told you?
Because nobody else was told either officially or unofficially and if there is no written minute of any change then it's just hearsay
The written CAS rules haven't altered.

Do calm down. This isn't an inquisition. I was given some information, couldn't verify it, and asked a question. Writing that "nobody else was told" is idiotic - plainly someone else thought it was the case or I wouldn't have been given the information.

Pull your head in.

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
Last round of the year coming up, the rivalry round as it's also known. How heavily will the points difference be examined in the event of a shared premiership? I think it would be extremely cruel and bitter to swipe the title from Cranbrook if they lose to Aloysius and have the same win/loss ratio as Knox. Schoolboy competition should promote effort and reward positivity, I think it would be against the nature of CAS to not have shared premierships. Without further adieu

Cranbrook vs Aloysius
The most important factor here is if Vevers is playing after coming off at half time last week (also after his first half hat-trick). It'd be a fools errand to underestimate a full strength Aloys side and they'd be a great tip this weekend if they're not missing their X factor in attack. That being said, Cranbrook are the top side who have recently been criticised for a lack of conviction. Plenty on the line for Cranbrook and I believe their big forward pack and classy 10 have enough in them to get the win. Aloys 10 Dainton has been clinical in both taking the line on and territorial kicking so there's a great clash in the number 10s on the cards here. Home field advantage says Cranbrook by 14 and a CAS title.

Knox vs Barker
This would be pushing for one of the largest rivalries in CAS and it's one that could have been for Knox. They need the win to have any chance in sharing with Cranbrook and I back them here, muscle up front and speed out wide is a hard combination to beat. I for one will be very keen to see the final tally of JWL tries for the season. Barker's strengths are it's halves and backrow, which unfortunately for them is an area Knox also has abundant strength. Knox by 30.

Waverley vs Trinity
This is my closest match of the round. Both teams have had seasons characterised by inconsistency but have played outstanding running rugby when in top flight. Which team will turn up? Waverley lost to Aloys at Queens Park and Trinity came so close to Barker, form isn't giving much away but I'm picking Trinity here, especially if Barkley Brown plays as so many of us have been waiting for him to do. I believe Trinity has more potential as a side and if having a big forward pack contributes to a winning formula, they're on track for a victory. It's been a long time between drinks for Trinity and if they're full strength, they should have it in them to out-muscle Waverley as Aloysius did last week. Trinity by 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.