• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@BrumbieJack, but it hasn't remained corked everywhere else. A no. of the GPS schools have adopted the same approach and even where teachers remain coaches, the program for most is semi-pro. In addition, other CAS schools have focused on building strength in other sports. Knox is quite a progressive school and, for better or worse, probably looked at what the GPS schools were doing and thought they could take the skills of their rugby players up as well. And if all human endeavor was based on 'no-one else is doing it so I won't', we'd all be living in caves.

I suspect the parents aren't complaining (loudly at least) as they are for the most part OK with the program. If academic excellence is a worthy pursuit, then perhaps having the option to pursue sporting excellence at the same time is OK so long as no one is losing their jersey to a late recruit. I don't believe there has been any noticeable decline in Knox HSC results over the past 3 years as a result, suggesting there's not a trade off in that area.

As to kids getting a culture shock in the real world, I'd have thought there was a solid argument that being part of a professional team set up with reward for coaches and players based on discipline, hard work and high performance, whilst balancing the requirement to study hard, would equip most pretty well.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hmmmm. Having witnessed some curious interpretations from the refs at Death Valley on occasion I'm not sure that Waves should be looking to play the 'we wuz robbed' card too often.

In my experience with Waverley, I believe they often have the best referees throughout the CAS competition. Also it was common news that the Aloysius referee was incompetent. Was talking to one of their parents who were even able to truly say he was woeful.

Andrew Toovey

Frank Row (1)

Good video of the Alo's vs Cranbrook game.

I think the real surprise package of 2015 was the Alo's side, I got to a few games, and when I did I was extremely impressed with the style of rugby they were playing, good old running rugby. There backs were some of the best in CAS, with Hayes (9), Slaven (13), Diamond (11) and my pick of the team Lawson (12).

Well done to all the teams this year, it proved to be another great year of rugby.

RugbyKnowledge

Frank Row (1)
think alo's displayed this year that they can compete with any school in CAS. The talk against alo's has always been about having a lack of depth. But this year they saw their best player 10 and probably best forward 5 miss most of the season. On top of that their captain 8, next best player diamond 11, and extremely good forward 7, and solid prop 1 all miss significant time. All in all they had their 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13 (not so much) 14, all miss games due to injuries and many of those long term ones.
In the last game they were playing mostly a 2nd XV team and still performed pretty well.
Not to say that all teams weren't hurt by injuries but alos usually suffers worse than most schools.
Have the days of alos having no depth passed us?

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
think alo's displayed this year that they can compete with any school in CAS. The talk against alo's has always been about having a lack of depth. But this year they saw their best player 10 and probably best forward 5 miss most of the season. On top of that their captain 8, next best player diamond 11, and extremely good forward 7, and solid prop 1 all miss significant time. All in all they had their 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13 (not so much) 14, all miss games due to injuries and many of those long term ones.
In the last game they were playing mostly a 2nd XV team and still performed pretty well.
Not to say that all teams weren't hurt by injuries but alos usually suffers worse than most schools.
Have the days of alos having no depth passed us?
Will know next year when the school allows your 13 play his best position which is 9

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
Next year Aloys depth will be tested greatly, with one of the weakest 16a teams to come through the school, they will be very dependent on the talented year 12 cohort. However I hear the 15as are strong this year though

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Great Team, Great Season, Mass Respect"

Surprised someone with the name Knox threw and threw would say that about Waverley

Navid Dew

Frank Row (1)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Great Team, Great Season, Mass Respect"

Surprised someone with the name Knox threw and threw would say that about Waverley

maybe knox (2nd XV) appreciate the 'luck of the bounce' they had this season (all credit due to their success) and have given the rarest form of appreciation (that you will see from Knox). Maybe the Knox 1st XV can take a leaf out of their 2nd XV in relation to appreciation instead of jumping straight into ice baths post match and disregarding their hosting duties - sending their captain one out. SHOT WAVES "Great Team, Great Season, Mass Respect"

J

James Mood (CSW)

maybe knox (2nd XV) appreciate the 'luck of the bounce' they had this season (all credit due to their success) and have given the rarest form of appreciation (that you will see from Knox). Maybe the Knox 1st XV can take a leaf out of their 2nd XV in relation to appreciation instead of jumping straight into ice baths post match and disregarding their hosting duties - sending their captain one out. SHOT WAVES "Great Team, Great Season, Mass Respect"

I couldn't agree more mate, i believe that both Waverley and Knox were class acts all throughout the season. Both teams were a true testiment to good rugby, and that is what the highlights video shows a great team playing some great rugby.

Full credit to the boy who made the video, wonderfull editing. If his rugby career doesnt pick up than he can always make it in cinematography.

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
Don't disagree, wonderfull video and full credit to to the boy(s) who made it. How did Waverley go in the 2nds. Appeared talented particularly their 5 and 12, however apparently Knox owns the 2nds comp

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox have the cattle this year and next. Very strong group coming through - very fit, big, lots of training together. Knox should win everything by a lot this year.

Knox juggernaut continues to build on the enrollments side too. Hearing 360+ in year 7, after low 300's the last 2 years.

And so it proved to be....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm keen to have some rough figures of Schoolboy Rugby participation around the country.

Just wondering about the size of the CAS rugby competition, and how it is faring against the round ball game.

How many teams does each school in the CAS comp have overall? What is the breakdown by age group, and what is the same for soccer?

Using The Kings School as an example, the figures using a legend of Total (Open/U16/U15/U14/U13) are:
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Anyone have the figures for their school? There isn't too much detail on the lower grades on the CAS Website.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone have the figures for their school? There isn't too much detail on the lower grades on the CAS Website.

Waverley
Rugby 25 (5/4/4/6/6)
Soccer 30 (8/5/5/6/6)

Cranbrook
Rugby 18 (5/3/3/3/4)
Soccer 25 (6/4/5/5/5)

Trinity
Rugby 18 (6/2/3/3/4)
Soccer 28 (6/5/5/6/6)

Barker
Rugby 22 (7/4/4/3/4)
Soccer 30 (8/5/5/6/6)

Knox
Rugby 25 (6/4/4/5/6)
Soccer 28 (7/5/5/6/5)

St Aloysius
Rugby 17 (4/3/4/3/3)
Soccer 29 (8/5/5/6/5)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks for that @Rugbyking2

Using assumed team sizes of 18 for Rugby, and 14 for Soccer (to accommodate for injured, rehab and bench) then the comparison is as follows:

The numbers are Total Teams (Opens, U16, U15, U14, U13):

ISA Rugby Teams = 143 (37,25,25,28,28) @ 18 per team is approximately 2574 Rugby participants
ISA Soccer Teams = 112 (28,19,19,22,24) @ 14 per team is approximately 1568 Soccer participants

CAS Rugby Teams = 125 (33,20,22,23,27) @ 18 players per team is approximately 2250 Rugby participants
CAS Soccer Teams = 170 (43,29,30,35,33) @ 14 players per team is approximately 2380 Soccer participants

AAGPS Rugby Teams = 223 (61,36,40,41,45) @ 18 players per team is approximately 4014 Rugby participants
AAGPS Soccer Teams = 245 (69,40,42,46,48) @ 14 players per team is approximately 3430 Soccer participants

All up across AAGPS, CAS and ISA
Rugby = 491 (131,81,87,92,100) Teams @ 18 players per team is approximately 8838 Rugby participants
Soccer = 527 (140,88,91,103,105) Teams @ 14 players per team is approximately 7378 Rugby participants

Pilfer

Bob McCowan (2)
Some great footage of Alec diamond here found the other day. Truly was a gifted athlete, wouldn't be surprised to see him play higher honours or 1st grade.

The census numbers for aloysius rugby are too high. I think there is only 2 teams in year 7 and maybe as well in 16s with 3 teams in the 15s and 14s and 4 in opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.