• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
No suprise if Waverley unleash 16 year old Moretti again this weekend - possibly starting? Was an absolute weapon in defence, came on for Roger-Smith after his injury and from my observations made at least 15 tackles and 2 turnovers at the ruck. Very solid ball runner making I would assume 5m past the advantage line every run.

Hit the Rhino

Frank Row (1)
As we take a break from the lunacy of Green and Gold Speculation here are some things CAS Rumour Mill CAN CONFIRM for this weekend.

1. Andrew Spira from Cranbrook has left the school and will not feature this season in any New South Wales Rugby.

2. Matt Horsley's injury is not as serious as first thought. 3-5 weeks is an approximate timeline of his recovery.

3. Knox's new "import" is absolute guff. He doesn't exist and this was a tactic that was very effectively used by St Aloysius to attempt to throw Knox off last year.

4. There will be no changes for the 16A's at Knox. All are fit and ready to play. 16F's players will NOT be running at this level. Get a grip!

Overall, another week of nonsense that these forums have been so well known for. More previews and late mail to come so stick around!!
As we take a break from the lunacy of Green and Gold Speculation here are some things CAS Rumour Mill CAN CONFIRM for this weekend.

1. Andrew Spira from Cranbrook has left the school and will not feature this season in any New South Wales Rugby.

2. Matt Horsley's injury is not as serious as first thought. 3-5 weeks is an approximate timeline of his recovery.

3. Knox's new "import" is absolute guff. He doesn't exist and this was a tactic that was very effectively used by St Aloysius to attempt to throw Knox off last year.

4. There will be no changes for the 16A's at Knox. All are fit and ready to play. 16F's players will NOT be running at this level. Get a grip!

Overall, another week of nonsense that these forums have been so well known for. More previews and late mail to come so stick around!!

Actually BK there is one confirmed change for Knox's u16's. Hard running, no nonsense blindside flanker Jack Hoyle is confirmed to be out for the season with an impending shoulder reconstruction. With an impressive career including 16a appearances last year and a period playing for Manly reps this man will surely be missed.

bigboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone got any team lists for the weekend?

Confirmed Aloys team list:

1. Rahme
2. Gillman
3. Kennedy
4. Sulivan
5. Denny
6. Partington
7. Hrdina
8. Hrdina
9. Heath
10. Dainton (c)
11. Jeffery
12. Flahery
13. Slavan
14. Freed
15. Mazaraki

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Spira stuck under a barbell . not sighted . not even at Easts

so if I had to pick my team
1. Anstey (B)
2. Grindall (K)
3. Wayland (T)
4. Rasch (T)
5. Frost (K) Ireland (K)
6. P Clifton (W)
7. B O'Sullivan (W)
8. E Rogers- Smith (W)
9. Bosch (K)
10. Searl (C)
12. Fuller (W)
13. Armstrong (K)
14. Mohi (W)
15. Longville (T)

pretty handy team
A team gets beat 43-0 and you pick an all Waverley back row? Come on. Just a little biased?

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
No suprise if Waverley unleash 16 year old Moretti again this weekend - possibly starting? Was an absolute weapon in defence, came on for Roger-Smith after his injury and from my observations made at least 15 tackles and 2 turnovers at the ruck. Very solid ball runner making I would assume 5m past the advantage line every run.
Which team at Waverley do you coach? Seem to know an aweful lot week in week out. I'm not sure how keen the school would be on you leaking so much information. Thank you though, it helps the rest of the CAS schools.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Received the Waverley school draw for this weekend's games v Aloys and very saddened to see that SAC only has two teams in 13s-16s and four in Opens. If one looks at the drop in numbers in subbies rugby as well then doesn't look good for player participation in the game. One of the benefits of multiple rugby teams is that there is a grade for all abilities so people are encouraged to play. Having only a few teams dissuades others from playing who may have played had there been more grades. It would be interesting to do a study into numbers of teams per age group per school from 1970s to present in both private and public schools. I wager it would make pretty grim reading. Particularly given school & population numbers have grown. The lesser downside for schools like Knox and Waverley who still put out lots of teams is that age groups then get split up as lower grades travel all over Sydney to get a game against (usually) a GPS school, Waverley/Knox or St Pats. Disappointing reading the newsletter's sport page this week let me tell you.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
A team gets beat 43-0 and you pick an all Waverley back row? Come on. Just a little biased?
maybe a little biased ... but if I was really biased could have picked a few others ... say Tyzac Jordan over Bosch

besides Waverley versus View .... were without a number of regular starting forwards ... Wright, Drew-Morris and Small ... so more understrength than Knox were against Joeys

Clifton actually plays 2nd row .. however he plays like a breakaway .. and so thought I was very accommodating to allow a Knox kid (Frost) to take the 2nd row spot .. primarily for his line-out skills ... that he showed against Joeys

however if you had to push me ... maybe I'd put Clifton into 2nd row ... and yes Basson would then come into backrow, as my next choice ... or maybe even Cranbrook's Kemeny

S

sidelineview

Selecting CAS teams now is just a bit of fun. Trial form cant be taken too seriously.
I'd like to see 2 players selected for each position by all of us ''experts'' as the season progresses Round by Round.
Some players may be constant selections but there will be plenty of changes from week to week until Round 6 when the 2 CAS teams are announced.
It's interesting to note that the CAS 1sts coach and assistant coach as well as the CAS manager will be from Cranbrook.
The 2nds coaches will be from Trinity and Barker.
I'm not sure where the Chairman of Selectors: Mr C Blunt is from?
The CAS U16s Coaches will be from Waverley.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
"The CAS U16s Coaches will be from Waverley." As they were last year. Anyone know if it is unusual to have CAS rep coaches appointed by the same school 2+ years in a row?

theauthority123

Bob McCowan (2)
Rumours quickly spreading that Cranbrook 16A's have replaced their front-row with a full back row, hence they have 6 back rowers in the team. Just wanted to hear some opinions into whether this was very sportsmanlike, especially considering that as a result, scrums will be uncontested. From what I saw last week, the this will be a loss as the Knox scrum dominated that of SJC's.

Mate, not sure where you are getting your information from, but this is completely untrue, but Cranbrook's 16A's front rowers are all genuine front rowers and I'm sure there will be contested scrums. The 16A's however do show improvement this year, a prop back from a prolonged injury called Andrew Glastras is terrific and a dynamic runner, not afraid to lay say big hits, coming from a league background. The boy last name May, his first name escapes me, is is also new, he is a quality player. In saying this, I am not saying this team is going to be winning a premiership, but I am saying that this team will record at least 2 wins this season, this being significant as they have never won a CAS game.

ChipKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Mate, not sure where you are getting your information from, but this is completely untrue, but Cranbrook's 16A's front rowers are all genuine front rowers and I'm sure there will be contested scrums. The 16A's however do show improvement this year, a prop back from a prolonged injury called Andrew Glastras is terrific and a dynamic runner, not afraid to lay say big hits, coming from a league background. The boy last name May, his first name escapes me, is is also new, he is a quality player. In saying this, I am not saying this team is going to be winning a premiership, but I am saying that this team will record at least 2 wins this season, this being significant as they have never won a CAS game.

Are you serious? They haven't won a single game in 4 years and have been belted by 50+ almost every game. Don't think 2 players are going to change that. Well it wil test them this week up against the best side of the comp in knox

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
️Re that cranbrook 16as I have a huge amount of respect for them , the core of the team just keep coming back

Got to respect someone that keeps getting knock down and bounces back up

For all the other kids ... Or at least a few at cranbrook that have slinked off, either dropping out, playing down , I can only say
No ticker

So one of these days these cranbrook kids will take a scalp ... I know they beat grammar ... And I will be pumped for them, when they knock another team off

I do think the 2 round comp does have serious limitations
And I can think of a few that might have a lot of size but no ticker,

ChipKick

Herbert Moran (7)
️Re that cranbrook 16as I have a huge amount of respect for them , the core of the team just keep coming back

Got to respect someone that keeps getting knock down and bounces back up

For all the other kids . Or at least a few at cranbrook that have slinked off, either dropping out, playing down , I can only say
No ticker

So one of these days these cranbrook kids will take a scalp . I know they beat grammar . And I will be pumped for them, when they knock another team off

I do think the 2 round comp does have serious limitations
And I can think of a few that might have a lot of size but no ticker,

Tips for the 16's SDW? Think Knox and Barker early favourites although could have a couple playings 1's

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting changes to waverley 1s, with moretti ( from year 10) coming in for rogers-smith injury

And Donaldson coming in to fly half with Carr to the wing

Think these team will not have any probs accounting for aloys

And 16as might lose a bit, but still pretty strong... So don't think there will repeat of last years 1st round stumble ... Plus they are at home

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
16s tips ... Knox will account for the bravehearts, waverley will steamroll aloys and barker will be a cricket score as trinity lost a few to athletics and opens

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
@Chipkick, I think Barker would have been very strong if all of their year 10 boys were available, but with Tejcek and Reimer, both good leaders (and Mitch Brown? and injured Kitchener) playing up, think they may struggle a bit. Would love to be proved wrong and for Aloys to also be strong as would be great for CAS rugby for the comp to be more even and provide harder matches for all.

ChipKick

Herbert Moran (7)
The 16's comp will be really interesting. Knox and Waverley have always been the top 2 sides, not so sure about Waverley this year tho but Knox will be hard to beat. Think the only sides capable of knocking them of will be Barker and Aloys.

Status
Not open for further replies.