• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Waves v SPC - scrappy but tight contest - mistakes by both teams at crucial times - wet conditions didn't help. Nevertheless nothing beats a try on the final play to make a good game. #10s for both sides played well, with Waves better at the set piece, especially line out.

As for the after match function, i know a number of the SPC parents either didn't know it was on and/or had to get back to work - a mid week trial in the middle of the day doesn't lend itself to a lot of spare time ... unfortunately.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker South African Tour

Game 1 v King David High JoBerg...Barker won 34-7

Game 2 V Grey High Port Elizabeth.. 22 all draw

game 3 Settler High...Barker won 32-0

No major injuries as yet..

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
To early to start discussing rep teams for Opens and 16's? I think CAS will be very competitive in both considering the opens age group beat GPS back in 2014
Would be good to assess after first few rounds. GPS have been bolstered in both age groups with the arrival of new boys (eg, Dom Easy, Keith Titmuss and Saul Lewis in 16s) so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into what happened in 2014.

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Would be good to assess after first few rounds. GPS have been bolstered in both age groups with the arrival of new boys (eg, Dom Easy, Keith Titmuss and Saul Lewis in 16s) so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into what happened in 2014.

Any newcomers in CAS?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Luke Reimer, Mitch Brown and Jayden Kitchener (2015 NSWJRU u15s) have all joined Barker and are playing 1sts along with Dave Tejcek. Reimer in particular will add some starch and mongrel to the CAS U16s pack.

Have heard that Knox had a good hit out v Mount Albert Grammar School in Auckland today:

1sts 19-22 loss
2nds 2 try loss
16As 27-5 win

MAGS is reputedly a strong rugby school and counts SBW and Steven Luatua amongst other notable AB alumni. Should have provided a good warm up for the trials v Joeys on 30 April.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Luke Reimer, Mitch Brown and Jayden Kitchener (2015 NSWJRU u15s) have all joined Barker and are playing 1sts along with Dave Tejcek.

Sounds like Barker will be the ones to watch in the next few years as they blood the youngsters. 4 year 10 boys bodes well for the future. Maybe 2016 is a development year for Barker?

Good to see Knox had a solid hit out on their NZ tour. Does anyone have results from other games?

Also it would be good if anyone in the know has team sheets for the Knox V Joeys clash in both 16s and Opens. 1sts, 2nds and U16s are likely to be cracking games. Where are the games being played?

CAS and GPS selections in 16s will be interesting as the talent pool straddles both 16s and Opens for both competitions.

For GPS, Riverview traditionally blood their young talent early and I believe at least 3 boys are in the mix for firsts in year 10.

Likewise there may be a few at Newington. Unaware of any from Scots Kings or Joeys who traditionally have strong depth in Opens and 16s.

I assume for CAS Barker have the most Yr 10s likely to be playing 1st XV? Any for Knox, Waverley, et al?

gordon fray

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know which cas schools are offering rugby scholarships??or for any sport for that matter.

These matters have to be discussed in a separate thread - Ed.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
i would have thought the question appropriate given Barker has 3 new players--state players--and general chat re Knox and rugby scholarships

You will need to take discussion regarding scholarships to the scholarship thread or you risk incurring the wrath and furious vengeance of the moderators

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Elfster will be doing a preview of the 2016 CAS season and I thought it would be great if everybody could help, although he will be the arbiter of what will be included and what, not.

Don't write a separate section for the school you follow in full sentences.

Just write bullet points in a post in this thread; don't make it War and Peace.

Items could include

• Why their placing this year should be different from 2015.

• Who will be their best three players for 2016 and why. (1.= best.)

• What will be their strengths.

• What will be their weaknesses.

• What their trial form has been like.

• Serious gossip

Don't think you have to cover all the items above; it is not a test. It is just to help Elfster with a few facts so he doesn't have to go through all the posts in the thread to get info.

Have this in during next week - but add another bullet point in the forum as soon after the final trials on 30 April as you can.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
i would have thought the question appropriate given Barker has 3 new players--state players--and general chat re Knox and rugby scholarships

You are new here and haven't read the rules of the schoolboy forum.

Please read them.

Where are they? There are three sticky threads on the top of the Schoolboy Rugby forum. The right one to click on is obvious. Read post number 8 I wrote in 2010 and you will see a link to the Scholarship thread.

People thought it wouldn't work but it has gone for 303 pages now. And it has taken the scholarship virus away from threads like this.

And a curious thing happened: once discussion of scholarships got isolated to its own thread, people were more polite to each other: they discussed the matter more rationally without the bigger audience they craved looking on.**

You were not to know this, but I'm writing all this down in detail so I can copy and paste it when another new forum member raises the subject.

Cheers,

LG

** PS: People still have to be polite on that thread and it is not always the case; so if folks see anything untoward, please use the "Report" function. We are all volunteers here and can't see everything.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
There hasn't seemed to be a full draw put up on this thread yet, and the CAS website has nothing. I have the Knox draw, so if you know your school's draw we can fill in the blanks. I'll put the home team first:

Round 1 - 7 May
Cranbrook v Knox

Round 2 - 14 May
Knox v Barker

Round 3 - 21 May
Knox v Waverley

Round 4 - 28 May
Trinity v Knox

Round 5 - 4 June
St Aloysius v Knox

Round 6 - 18 June
Knox v Cranbrook

Round 7 - 23 July
Barker v Knox

Round 8 - 30 July
Waverley v Knox

Round 9 - 6 August
Knox v Trinity

Round 10 - 13 August
Knox v St Aloysius

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone giving Waverley any chance this year? Think it is going to be a three horse race between Knox, Waverley and Trinity.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
So, Cranbrook swept by Shore to nil, poor game? Undermanned? Unlucky? Or an indication for the coming season?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, Cranbrook swept by Shore to nil, poor game? Undermanned? Unlucky? Or an indication for the coming season?

I liked their swift defensive line and tackling technique. No 10 ran good lines directly at the 9/10 channel and figured prominently in wrap-around moves in which he made good ground out wide. The 9 also ran wrap-around plays in mid field, usually off line out wins.
Shore were bigger in the forwards and centres, and lightning fast at fullback.
Cranbrook look undermanned in terms of size but their organisation in attack and defence was good for most of the game. Just little things need to be sorted out like lining up man-for-man when the opposition stacks the blind off multi-phase play.
The coming season will be tough for Cranbrook. I didn't see too many opportunities to score created by the team, even though they had excellent field position for most of the first half. Their defence, whilst well structured, brave and technically sound, will be tested by larger packs and faster backs.

Full match report here.

Oh and one minor quibble - could someone give the reserves a warm tracksuit? The tradition of wearing blazers on the bench on a drizzly, windy, cold day is not conducive to healthy bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.