• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
this is exactly why the CAS & GPS & ISA 2 rounds must cease & Bill Pulver should get real & have a cup of tea with the CEO's/Headmasters & discuss the educationally holistic merits of having 1 round & the rest against schools of their size & standard ie Knox v Kings, Trinity v Grammar, across the board. Atleast Knox/Wav 14Bs get a decent game. Maybe they should swap uniforms or backs and forwards ...Cmon Bill Pulver !

Well said.

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
Waverley won't have a chance though if they give away stupid penalties. From
memory 2 deliberate infringements in the red zone resulted in Yellow cards v Aloysius. They gave another away v Trinity. Play Knox with 1 man down and you might as well give them the chocolates.

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
Also - that breakaway in the Aloysius game who collapsed the maul, brain explosion, nearly got given a red for repeat infringements late in the second half. That would have been a one game suspension. Was it Moretti or O Sullivan? Anyway, those guys are key to winning the match. They should be fitter as the game goes so pick when to concede and when to pilfer. So:
A) BEAT the RUCK to use their hands and
B ) Be in a position of strength ( supporting their OWN weight)
C) And survive the clean out to win the turnover and what usually results in a penalty for NO release from the tackled player.
D) Hands down-( on ground or player not supporting own weight) sometimes unavoidable but do not contest if occurs eg - raking back ball with hands, because you will give away 30 meters and a lineout to the best lineout and rolling maul in the competition!

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
Finally, their 12 is an offside line pest. Don't give away that 30 metre penalty and lineout and or easy kick for 3 from in front!

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
First game for a Year 10 lad plucked from 16As and plonked into the 1sts so give him a break. He learnt and held his spot the next week against Trinity and played well. Hate to see what happened to a kid who knocked on when you were coaching.

Karma Police

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair enough Wayne. The point is that Knox have got a well credentialed sprint coach to work with their rugby players, to work on their speed, flexibility etc. That is a good thing for Knox rugby, and any serious program should do the same. I fully agree. As I said, Trinity also has a highly credentialed and successful sprint coach, and their rugby program does not involve him, that I know of. Make what you will of that.

My issue was that saying "the best in Australia" is naïve - at best.

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
First game for a Year 10 lad plucked from 16As and plonked into the 1sts so give him a break. He learnt and held his spot the next week against Trinity and played well. Hate to see what happened to a kid who knocked on when you were coaching.
Well he's a cracking player! Really good in attack and on the ball. To win though he needs to be a " clinical" cracking player

S

sidelineview

According to the match report Knox gave too many penalties away last game including 2 yellow cards. It looks like both teams will be looking to improve in this area of the game.
Young Moretti from Waverley, like the other U16s playing up in the 1sts will gain a lot of experience which will hold them in good stead when they represent CAS U16s against GPS.

TheOracle83

Stan Wickham (3)
It will be interesting to see if a coach that has coached at super rugby/Heineken cup/international levels can beat a maths teacher with a full teaching load.
Managed to in 2013, 2014 ! 3 out of 6 aint bad. And this Waverley outfit is probably better than 2013. Knox are just a bunch of teenagers like our mob.,

S

sidelineview

It will be interesting to see if a coach that has coached at super rugby/Heineken cup/international levels can beat a maths teacher with a full teaching load.

It wont just be coach vs coach though, will it? it runs a bit deeper than that, but I get your point; they're from different worlds.

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
It wont just be coach vs coach though, will it? it runs a bit deeper than that, but I get your point; they're from different worlds.

I thought the comment about them being teenagers was more apt, after all the boys are at every school to learn more than play rugby one would hope.
And yes there is more than one game of rugby on this week, surprisingly the same will happen next week. Good luck to all players and officials in every game that takes the field.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree. I just find that difference very interesting.
I think that the similarities exceed the differences by a considerable amount. There will be objective differences in some factors but I don't agree that in attitudes, aspirations or behaviour to name a few that there is any significant difference.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"they're from different worlds"?

Well, no, actually. Williams was a schoolteacher long before he was a Rugby coach.

HowardL

Bob McCowan (2)
And despite (every year) Knox and Waverley supporters carrying on like it's a two horse race, last year was the first win for either since 2009 when they tied for it, with Barker x 3, Trinity and Cranbook all winning it more recently than Waverley.

This season has a long way to go yet.

Bear in mind that the CAS Competition is the weakest of all the Rugby Competitions in all Schools Nationally. 5 Unequally resourced schools play each other twice??? Great to watch and be part of the crowd but meaningless. Have a look at how many CAS players go on to succeed in Colts - just a handful each year. The last time CAS had an authentic team that could stay with a GPS side was Knox 2014, but they weren't perfect. They thrashed every other side by at least 50 points and beat a few GPS sides pre- season. The handed Cranbrook a record hiding a few weeks after Scotts had beaten the same Cranbrook side by a similar margin. The current team have three class players but most are playing for themselves. When passing is an issue at the 'top' level , it's not top level. Frankly I hope Waverly come out smoking because they are clear underdogs. May it be an injury free clash after last weeks incident. I hope young Max goes on to fulfil his obvious talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.