• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
So what happens with the washed out games! Is it like a draw... Share the points?

IMHO they should play them over the long weekend ... But sure that will be rubbished

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
I didn't think 1sts games were ever cancelled? Was it because the games were scheduled to be played on public grounds?

Karma Police

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bit of a funny game. Cranbrook battled hard to stop Trinity getting on top. Trinity's forwards clearly on top physically, but had the obvious issue of dropped ball in those conditions, though the ground was in remarkably good shape - even the cricket pitch area.

Cranbrook had the cross-wind in the 2nd half, and pegged Triity in thier own half for the start of it - walking away with a penalty goal to bring it to 7-6. They never really threatened the try line. They got reasonably close at one point, but one of their backs (the 10 I think) spilt it, due to the conditions and heavy contact.

First half saw a string of penalties to Cranbrook in the scrum, which helped stop Trinity get any momentum. Funny concept - penalise the dominant scrum, bascially for being dominant. The ref really didn't have much of a clue as to what was going on in the scrums.

Cranbrook are a funny side - backs are bigger than their forwards, and boy do they love to kick a lot. Maybe the conditions had something to do with it. Not sure if the Cranbrook 10 had any mud on his pristine white jersey at the end of the game - though he did manage to sell a beautiful dump to his 13 Dickins at the end - who was hammered by Trinity's 7 (Stead). Enormous hit and perfectly timed, right on the buzzer, with cranbrook tryig to run it out of their own half. Trinity's wingers did struggle a bit with the kick returns.

Odd again - the game might have been pulled up 5-10 mins short. Cranbrook not happy about that, but they did have the rub of the green all game.

Trinity tried to play more rugby and nearly put the game away midway through the 2nd half with a massive Wayland run, but he got pulled up just short and hurt his ankle. Trinity couldn't quite put Cranbrook away - combination of weather, Cranbrook determination and Trinity errors. Trinity also struggled to get clean ball away from the base of the ruck - due to the conditions, an inexperienced half, and Cranbrook pushing the off side line unpunished. I guess you do what you can get away with.

It was wet weather rugby, and your typical case of a slightly outgunned team playing smart and determined and hanging on. Credit to Cranbrook for that. Morris and Rasch strong as always, Longville quieter than usual playing 10, and Wayland probably MVP. The usual suspects. I couldn't see any of the Cranbrook boys being at CAS 1s level, though I believe Searle was injured. Stead was clearly ahead of the Cranbrook 7 IMHO - faster, more physical and all over the pitch. He's a real dynamo, and very quick off the mark.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Bit of a funny game.

etc etc see above

I was there and this is a very good summary of the game. Trinity are trying an each way bet with Longville, standing him in the halves off ruck and maul and at fullback in defence. He's a great player, and should be in the CAS 15 jersey, but it's a stretch asking him to play two roles.

Stead (7) was fantastic in the wet. He's not big, but he's fast and strong and gets into good body position in the ruck. May be a bolter for the CAS side. Agree that Wayland was best on ground and Rasch was strong again.

Cranbrook deserve enormous credit for their defensive effort, especially at the end of the game, although the tackle by Stead (7) on Dickens (13) is perhaps the heaviest hit I've ever seen in schoolboy rugby - would have made Brian Lima's highlights reel!

All the boys from both sides deserve credit. It was a tough game of rugby and both sides struggled with the lineouts and handling, but both sides also kicked judiciously. Trinity deserved winners and could easily have run in a couple of more tries, but Cranbrook scrapped all the way.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I gather waverley are playing barker on Friday at 3:15.

Not sure on knox?

With all the U16 stuff going on this week, one would think they would play this on the Friday as well?

And I presume at Willoughby also? (Hopefully they would have the little cafeteria going. Not sure of the brand of pie, but the meat pies they served there were always quite acceptable. Good footy tucker.)

However I am not certain whether Knox goes on a tour to Bathurst and Orange over the long weekend. I don't think any Knox player from their firsts will be in the North Side 16s, but with Aloys it may be different.

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
With all the U16 stuff going on this week, one would think they would play this on the Friday as well?

And I presume at Willoughby also? (Hopefully they would have the little cafeteria going. Not sure of the brand of pie, but the meat pies they served there were always quite acceptable. Good footy tucker.)

However I am not certain whether Knox goes on a tour to Bathurst and Orange over the long weekend. I don't think any Knox player from their firsts will be in the North Side 16s, but with Aloys it may be different.

I understand Aloys vs Knox 1's and 2's is on Friday at Tyneside . Have not heard re Under 16's or other grades

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
All sensible comments on the Trinity/Cranbrook game. However, as I hinted in my match report, if Trinity wants to threaten Knox and Waverley it will need to improve its discipline, which was dreadful. I didn't keep a penalty count but it would have been in Cranbrook's favour by a margin of three to one. And there were coach-killing basic errors - the restarts were awful, often with no-one wanting to claim the ball. Trinity does lots of things very, very well but has to cut out the mistakes on the simple things.

The Medical Joker

Frank Row (1)
Although injury has struck the infamous '#3' max cutrone, it is rumoured that in rehab he is gymming alot and is lifting heavy, preparing for next season where he is planning to move to inside centre. Should be exciting to see as he showed prospect in open spaces during the trials.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
CAS 16's

1. McGuiggan (W)
2. Kennedy (K)
3. Frear (K)
4. Morreti (W)
5. Flaherty (B)
6. Murphey (W)
7. Molloy (W)
8 Trobec (K)
9. Chambers (T)
10. Ilias (T)
11. Hollingworth-Dessent (T)
12. Towns (W)
13. Cameron (K)
14. Leigh (K)
15. Westbury (A)

David O'Brian

Frank Row (1)
Half time at allos v knox at willoughby. I think allos coaches are making a big mistake if they keep their flanker Berry on the bench. I watched him put in some big hits at Barker. That boys got some mongrel in him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.