• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hey Sideline, Is Waverley playing Scots on Saturday? I had it in my mind that they were having another friendly .

Assuming yes.. where are they playing . Scots? And hopefully Waverley don't rest too many of the first starters . although I would be very surprised if O'Sullivan, Mohi and Jordan aren't all given a rest, given at least 2 of them seem under an injury cloud :mad:

Yes scots V Waverley this Saturday. Think at Scots but not 100% sure

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Trinity vs Newington Saturday should be a good line up, very interested to see which players are rested from either side

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Hey Sideline, Is Waverley playing Scots on Saturday? I had it in my mind that they were having another friendly .

Assuming yes.. where are they playing . Scots?
Confirmed today via Captain of Pies, @SDW, Waverley games are on @ BH on Saturday.
Understand all usual times - 3's @ 1pm, 2's @ 2pm, 1's @ usual time.
Should be a good game whoever ends up on the field, post-Reps.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
St Patrick’s v Barker: Strathfield 16th July 2016
I ventured out to St Pats to watch a very entertaining and high quality game of rugby. My apologies to the St Pats team for not highlighting individuals but no programs were available so I will just pick out your numbers.
This game was of interest as Adam Doueihi (the Aust Schoolboy and NSW1 no 10) was playing for St Pats as was Barkers prop Tim Anstey (NSW2).
There were some wholesale changes to Barkers run on team from that who played Trinity in the last round of the CAS comp. Missing were Buffa (1), Stalls (6), Reimer (8), Tejcek (9) Kitchener (10) and Nevison (12).
From this writers perspective the changes worked for Barker.
Elevating Anstey to Captain was just reward for Barker best player and he led by example. Anstey’s scrummaging was first rate and his work around the park and tackling just gave his team that extra “ticka” that is un-coachable and so desirable in a leader.
The front row was rock solid all day and Matt Coghill (2) must be also commended for his massive improvement in lineout throws while his work rate around the park and open field running was always getting the reds across the advantage line. But it was the first phase that was the huge improvement for Barker. Barker actual won their own throw 90% of the time which meant clean front foot ball to the backs.
Another notable mention must go to Mack Northcott (5). At 6’3 he is not the tallest 2nd rower running around but as a year 11 lad he is bulking up and he was very noticeable in defence and for the huge improvement in Barker’s lineout.
The best part of this game however was Barkers backs.
Elevating halfback Tom Williams (year 12) from the 2nds to the firsts was overdue and putting Falito van Woerkom in at 10, in from 13 was brilliant. The Barker backs scored or set up 3 first half tries. More than they have scored all year. Falito has great speed and footwork, (similar to Ryan Longville from Trinity), but has just not been in position to show his potential. Well today against the best 10 in the state he certainly got the points.
The outside backs with this extra time and space showed what they could do, with Simon Marais (11) Will Lloyd (15) and Conner Bastow (11) all having their best game of the season.
To St Pats, Douehi (10) was almost faultless in attack. He distributed well to his outside backs, and turned Barker around with his prodigious and accurate kicks. He was missing a strong runner outside him or a player with genuine pace and hence some strong attacking moves broke down or just did not get finished.
Much of this can also be credited to the Barker backs, who have had plenty of tackling practise this year. It is much more motivating as a tackler to be defending a lead, rather than a 40 point thrashing, which has been more often than not for Barker this year.
The St Pats front row were competitive all day despite losing their no2 after 25min, and their number 7 was probably the best player on the field. He was everywhere, pilfering turnovers and generally being a total pest at the breakdown, which is a huge credit to him.
The final score by the way was 19/12 (3 tries to two) with Barker getting a nice solid win under their belt.
Next week is the traditional huge game against Knox at Barker and despite most of us followers predicting a comfortable Knox win, this Reds team is on the improve and will certainly give a much better show based on today’s game.

Let’s hope the Barker selectors reward the lads who stood up today and please, keep Falito Van Woerkom at 10 and Tom Williams at 9.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
A quick addendum to my report, It may not have been Doueihi playing 10 for St Pats. Either way the lad played well. Ran hard, distributed well, and kicked for field position nicely. He stood out from my perspective.

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
In regards to Doueihi he did not play for St Pats, with Nawaqanitawase (a yr 10 student) standing at 10 which by the sounds of things he can hold his own in 1st 15 football.
I believe St Pats were short 6 starting players.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Waves 1sts vs Scots: Waverley lost 45-10, Moretti opened the scoring very early and O'Sullivan in the second half, neither converted. Scots lead 12-5 at half time and I can without a doubt in my mind say the first half was the best half of Schoolboy rugby I have ever seen. Huge hits, linebreaks, back and forth at each other. Waverley started subbing some starters off in the 2nd and that's when it got messy, Fuller had a short stint in the 2nd but was been rested I guess, no injuries until the final play when Wright was in some discomfort. 2nds were given a hiding aswell.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
In regards to Doueihi he did not play for St Pats, with Nawaqanitawase (a yr 10 student) standing at 10 which by the sounds of things he can hold his own in 1st 15 football.
I believe St Pats were short 6 starting players.

Well he is a darn good player. Great boot and distributed well. He is a big lad for yr 10, at least 183 cm and must have weighed 80kg...I will keep an eye on him.

stan jurd

Bob McCowan (2)
aloys v oakhill 1sts/2nds

aloys started 5 players down but scored two early tries 12-0.Oakhill came back with two of their own 12-12 halftime.Aloys put 10 seconds players on for 2nd half and score blew out to 31-12 to oakhill who also put some reserves on late in game.First half encouraging for Aloys who looked slick despite the break--as always injury cloud a concern for next week.

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Trinity verse Newington like many years was very one sided with Newington winning all of their rugby fixtures against Trinity

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't think waverley will worry too much about the scots result. The bigger question is whether they can upset Knox at home in a few weeks.

Without Clifton and rogers-smith they are going to have to fire in the forwards. And there are some good signs, with set piece looking better and youngsters doing well

I think they are a real chance particularly assuming mohi is back from a rest?

Altgh obviously don't want to get ahead of themselves .... How good is trinity's Liam rasch ... Can't get over his non-selection.

My mail on cranbrook's Kemeny is he is gone for the season

S

sidelineview

Don't think waverley will worry too much about the scots result. The bigger question is whether they can upset Knox at home in a few weeks.

Without Clifton and rogers-smith they are going to have to fire in the forwards. And there are some good signs, with set piece looking better and youngsters doing well

Altgh obviously don't want to get ahead of themselves .. How good is Liam rasch . Can't get over his non-selection

Too true SDW.
The availability of players for both teams will be a big determining factor to the result of the match in two weeks time.
Those two players you mentioned are a very big loss for Waverley, but fortunately they have good depth this season and a couple of the young players are proving to be more than capable of stepping up to be an important part of the 1sts squad.
Let's hope neither team is too depleted because it promises to be a cracker of a game.
You'll need to get there early to get a good spot to view the action @ Death Valley. The crowd will be huge and the atmosphere electric.

But first Waverley have to get over the top of Trinity and they wont be taking them lightly.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)

Altgh obviously don't want to get ahead of themselves .. How good is trinity's Liam rasch . Can't get over his non-selection.

My mail on cranbrook's Kemeny is he is gone for the season

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey SDW have it on good authority Mohi was out of the NSW 1 v NSW11 game because of a suspected cracked rib which in fact it turned out to be. Hence the reason he wasn't on the plane with Doueihi, Fuller and co for the schoolboys nationals. No idea whether he will be back in two weeks?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, it's on again on Saturday.

Cranbrook v St Aloysius is tough to pick. It should be Cranbrook's game, but there's a suggestion that Kemeney is out, which evens things up a bit. If good odds were on offer, I'd put a lazy punt on St Aloysius becoming the first team this season to beat a side placed above them on the table.

Waverley to run away with the game at Queen's Park.

And Knox to win away at Barker.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hey guys,

We may not have a writer for Cranbrook v Aloys on the weekend - to go into our CAS Rd 7 blog.

If anybody is going to the game and can send a few sentences can they please advise me by sending me a convo (not here).

It need not be a full report but we can talk about it in the convo.

Status
Not open for further replies.