• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hope rain holds off for Wednesday's Waverley v TSS game.

Also hope Cornish plays ... his upper body strength from 2 seasons off, appears to be a feature

he treats some of his opponents like rag dolls ... still his knee looks a bit ginger ... at times

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would strongly encourage Waverley supporters to get out and see Wednesdays game against TSS.

Having seen the game against Joeys yesterday, it will be a great barometer for Waverley as to their pre-season form and the year ahead.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched the Aloy's v St Pius game on the weekend , and again came away from a schoolboy game thinking why would I ever watch anything else (and no my son not playing) . It was a very willing affair and despite the 39-15 scoreline to Aloys it was a really interesting game.
Gee Pius were big. Huge 4, 5 and 8 and even a really big 9. Probably lacked a really penetrative attack but the 14 was v. good.
Aloys would be relatively happy for what was a trial. The two 15-A boys from last year's winning side were really good (Finn Spalding and Pollack @ 10).
I would think both sides would be able to see some positives as it was an early season hit out; but from what i saw Aloys will enjoy a better season than last year.
A bit scary when I read the Waverley v Iggies score but didn't realise all the ins and outs ... very ealy days gents.
Good luck to all.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I watched the Aloy's v St Pius game on the weekend , and again came away from a schoolboy game thinking why would I ever watch anything else (and no my son not playing) . It was a very willing affair and despite the 39-15 scoreline to Aloys it was a really interesting game.
Gee Pius were big. Huge 4, 5 and 8 and even a really big 9. Probably lacked a really penetrative attack but the 14 was v. good.
Aloys would be relatively happy for what was a trial. The two 15-A boys from last year's winning side were really good (Finn Spalding and Pollack @ 10).
I would think both sides would be able to see some positives as it was an early season hit out; but from what i saw Aloys will enjoy a better season than last year.
A bit scary when I read the Waverley v Iggies score but didn't realise all the ins and outs . very ealy days gents.
Good luck to all.

Dick, agree completely school boy rugby is unmatched IMO.

I also think Aloys will be the smokies this year, they looked sharp in the 7s comp.
Beating Pius is a serious scalp.

Waverley plays The South Port touring (QLD) powerhouse school tomorrow at QP, they beat Joeys on Monday but I think both schools will be playing mixed boys.
The waves then play kings at Kings,joeys at joeys, view at view, newington at QP and Shore at QP, think these games will say a lot.

P.S. Late mail from me, don't be surprised.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Dick, agree completely school boy rugby is unmatched IMO.

It's also because the style of rugby is the way the game is meant to be played.

The higher you get the structure turns into a league game with unlimited tackles and poor kicking options. They play percentage footy, not risky footy. No wonder we can't play against the likes of NZ.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a 1, 3, 3, 1 focused game that doesn't enable anyone to move or make any decisions other than what they are coached to do.
Does 1,3,3,1 mean 1 phase to one side of the set piece, 3 phases the other way, 3 phases the original way, and reverse for one more?
Or do you mean forward pods of 1,3,3, and 1?
(Asking for a ancient friend)

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Does 1,3,3,1 mean 1 phase to one side of the set piece, 3 phases the other way, 3 phases the original way, and reverse for one more?
Or do you mean forward pods of 1,3,3, and 1?
(Asking for a ancient friend)

It's the forward structure.

Think of it as the same as league, forwards have a specific place to get to on the field from a starter play.

Teams likes the tahs play it to the point, players are measured in time spent in their proper field position when required. It's basically not allowing our most talented footballers to play.

And yes I understand NZ do similar structures, but that works when you have keiran read holding your width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hope rain holds off for Wednesday's Waverley v TSS game.

Also hope Cornish plays . his upper body strength from 2 seasons off, appears to be a feature

he treats some of his opponents like rag dolls . still his knee looks a bit ginger . at times
Any news on the game today?

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
The most impressive thing about Waverleys win today was the manner in which it was fought. Saturday was a day of attack and running rugby.

A good year ahead for the team if they can gel together well.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good result to Waverley today … beating a TSS. who fielded a rather large pack of forwards,

However it would be a mistake to think that Waverley beat TSS, and TSS beat Joeys, so Waverley should easily steam-roll Joeys

The Joeys versus Waverley match should be a cracker

However Waverley in my view have a lot of work to do, to even contemplate taking the prized scalp of Joeys at Hunters Hill

Todays scrummaging was the usual debacle … I know I say it every year, and every year I get told the same thing … pull my head in

Yes TSS had a big front row … but if Finn Wright is to be a serious rep contender, he and the piggies need to do a lot better, at scrum time

Now a good scrum is not all about the front row, so not pinning it on Finn and todays front row

…if you have second rowers that aren’t pushing, and breakaways not doing their bit, you can forget about it

However Waverley needs to get some tapes of Joeys scrums

Joeys IMHO are 2nd to none come scrum time …

At one point in todays game Waverley had a penalty on TSS line and there is Finn Wright standing out in the backs, hoping for a quick ball, so that he can barrel over

A good Prop, should be hoping for the penalty to be taken as a scrum

You have to love the set piece … otherwise you aren’t a true Prop

The line out too … not great today

I am not sure throwing up Joel Ellis is a recipe for getting quality ball ?!

And with Donaldson and Andrews having a good kicking game, you don’t want to be playing to the touchlines, when your line-out is at best “messy”

Anyway I know it is early in the season, and they are embarking on a NZ tour, but certainly I think the tape of todays game, should give them plenty to work on

Anyway my positives:

Daniel Andrews – this kid is quality … he is a budding Michael Lynagh … he is only in year 11, and not much of him, but he is the perfect link man, great rugby head, and Mr Cool. He is already a revelation.

Broklyn Hardaker … the kid is a freak, how was todays solo try from a Waverley restart … I have seen this kid do things both in attack and defence that are freakish.

A number of other high quality backs : Donaldson – a classy 10. Liam Cornish a powerful centre who is one bloke that could knock the “bejesus” out of Scots goliath Yassmin. And you have a no-nonense 9 in Marco Bell and a number of great finishers (Eyles)

Luca Moretti & Eden Rogers-Smith : These 2 of have gone from big to bigger. 2 big strong hard-hitting leaguies, that have awesome athleticism. They might have been well contained today by TSS, but they will be running over the top of a lots of defenders in the weeks ahead. And will be a good test of Joeys defence come May 13th.

Finn Wright .. youngest of about 5 brothers, related to Owen Finnegan, and a wrecking ball that will bend any defensive line. Just needs to learn to love the scrum.

Depth – a long list of able bodies including Joel Ellis, Tadhg Murphy, Connor Molloy, Max Towns and new recruit Alex Rice (who had a brief run today .. and plays 2nd rower in Easts formidable under 16s team)

Anyway did I mention I am looking forward to Waverley v Joeys J

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's the forward structure.

Think of it as the same as league, forwards have a specific place to get to on the field from a starter play.

Teams likes the tahs play it to the point, players are measured in time spent in their proper field position when required. It's basically not allowing our most talented footballers to play.

And yes I understand NZ do similar structures, but that works when you have keiran read holding your width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont know how players know the meaning of 1.3.3.1, no one seems to know how to explain it here.

Is there a variation. 1.2.3.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.