• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Barker IMO is the school that is much worse off than under the current structure. Knox want to step up to match up against the best rugby schools.

Barker would play Joeys, View, Kings and Auggies or similar rather than Trinity, Waves, Aloys and Trinity - that is much, much tougher across all age groups but they have changed the way they go about things in recent years with the "anomalies" so maybe they are gearing up to compete with the big guns - I gather they were the only CAS school that voted against the new structure.

I imagine the schools will go away and twig the groups and come back and reach common ground somewhere.

Lydian Lion

Frank Row (1)
Barker IMO is the school that is much worse off than under the current structure. Knox want to step up to match up against the best rugby schools.

Barker would play Joeys, View, Kings and Auggies or similar rather than Trinity, Waves, Aloys and Trinity - that is much, much tougher across all age groups but they have changed the way they go about things in recent years with the "anomalies" so maybe they are gearing up to compete with the big guns - I gather they were the only CAS school that voted against the new structure.

I imagine the schools will go away and twig the groups and come back and reach common ground somewhere.

The groups may have been more aligned to rugby strength and player numbers rather than geographical.
G1 Top 3/4 GPS top 1/2 CAS top ISA
G2 next 2/3 GPS CAS 2/3 ISA 1/2
G3 2 GPS 2 CAS and ISA
I think the top group included the CAS 1st XV 2016 premiers and 1 school did want to play the big boys in GPS and ISA. They probably want to stay the big fish in a little pond.

S

sidelineview

The groups may have been more aligned to rugby strength and player numbers rather than geographical.
G3 2 GPS 2 CAS and ISA
I think the top group included the CAS 1st XV 2016 premiers and 1 school did want to play the big boys in GPS and ISA. They probably want to stay the big fish in a little pond.

1 school did or did not want to play the big boys from GPS ISA? What school ?

Lydian Lion

Frank Row (1)
Matt Williams was licking his lips to play the best schools and they weren't going to play Cranbrook, Barker, Trinity or Aloys in the top grade based on current form. So poor old Wavs want out.
Maybe the GPS and ISA teams are happy not to play at that public ground compared to their lush fields.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
G3 2 GPS 2 CAS and ISA

I agree that numbers will be the main criteria for grouping schools, more specifically how many teams per age group. It's a bit of a throw back to how it is done in the junior school under IPSHA. Otherwise, it will be a Sportmasters nightmare trying to find games for misaligned teams.

S

sidelineview

Matt Williams was licking his lips to play the best schools and they weren't going to play Cranbrook, Barker, Trinity or Aloys in the top grade based on current form. So poor old Wavs want out.
Maybe the GPS and ISA teams are happy not to play at that public ground compared to their lush fields.

You're being cryptic. The poor old Waves want out? Are you saying Waverley is the school who wants to be the big fish in a small pond?
If so, i thought Barker was the school that opted out?
That public ground??
Try giving a direct answer

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
You're being cryptic. The poor old Waves want out? Are you saying Waverley is the school who wants to be the big fish in a small pond?
If so, i thought Barker was the school that opted out?
That public ground??
Try giving a direct answer
I agree with sideline, can someone who knows just let us know which school opted out,thanks.

Lydian Lion

Frank Row (1)
The 2 CAS 1st XV 2016 premiers are the 2 strongest schools by play quality and quantity. Matt Williams jumped at the idea, Waverley said no and CAS voted as a block to reject the idea. That is just my understanding of the meeting.

S

sidelineview

The 2 CAS 1st XV 2016 premiers are the 2 strongest schools by play quality and quantity. Matt Williams jumped at the idea, Waverley said no and CAS voted as a block to reject the idea. That is just my understanding of the meeting.

Quantity and quality? Sure its not just quality.
Your version is contrary to what someone else said; Barker being the odd man out.
Its just gossip at this stage.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I'd be very surprised if it's Waves - they are a proud rugby school and generally up for a battle wherever it may be. Barker doesn't make a huge amount of sense either - sure they may have been a bit weaker this year, but these things are cyclical - 3 years ago that were unbeatable in the CAS.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I and many many others, like the very vast majority, will be furious if it was Waverley. As a parent, and an old boy, we will want to know who made this decision and on what consultative basis with the broader community. As this doesn't just affect Waverley but every other CAS,GPS and CIS school.
We all need to get to the bottom of this to assess if someone has over stretched their authority,and ensure a very clear message is sent so NEXT time the right outcome is achieved!
YEP THIS IS PASSION for the right reasons.

S

sidelineview

Ask the school. Dont take the word of anyone here. If its true that one school voted No, they might have a very good reason. If a vote was taken then a proposal would have been on the table, and other associations would have been involved. Or maybe it was a vote by CAS schools to look further into it.
It all sounds a bit sketchy. Chinese whispers ....

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Ask the school. Dont take the word of anyone here. If its true that one school voted No, they might have a very good reason. If a vote was taken then a proposal would have been on the table, and other associations would have been involved. Or maybe it was a vote by CAS schools to look further into it.
It all sounds a bit sketchy. Chinese whispers ..
Sideline, investigation already underway.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Waverley have played Scots many times in the last decade IIRC. Probably wasn't them who said no to playing against GPS.

S

sidelineview

Has he still got a job?

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can confirm all of the above speculation is merely that, speculation.

The CAS committee have met, they have had discussions with ISA and GPS organisations. Models have been discussed.

No one has said yes or no to anything.

It is an ongoing process that is yet to be finalised.

Realistically, it is unlikely to impact next season, but probably the season after.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can confirm all of the above speculation is merely that, speculation.

The CAS committee have met, they have had discussions with ISA and GPS organisations. Models have been discussed.

No one has said yes or no to anything.

It is an ongoing process that is yet to be finalised.

Realistically, it is unlikely to impact next season, but probably the season after.

Thank you.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I'd be very surprised if it's Waves - they are a proud rugby school and generally up for a battle wherever it may be. Barker doesn't make a huge amount of sense either - sure they may have been a bit weaker this year, but these things are cyclical - 3 years ago that were unbeatable in the CAS.
Catch and pass, you know when all the initial emotion settles here there are some broader pictures to consider.
1. All CAS schools need to review their rugby programs or leave the CAS rugby Comp, maybe join the 3rd grade comp with Grammer, High etc until they can improve,if they want to,it needs to be clear otherwise nothing will happen,particularly if you get a headmaster who has little sports interest.
2. Like any business plan you need to have a good look at a few years into the future. I can tell you a that Aloys have only 2 teams in the 13's age group, and a much bigger Barker school has only 3 teams in the 13's age group. Result this year being that both schools suffered badly in their results,which is horrible for the boys who tried hard, and a tough reflection on these schools. More importantly go forward 6 years and guess how they will go in the opens!
Here is a trend that suggests we need a change.
The sales pitch is convincing the GPS,and CIS that they need to change, but I think there are plenty of great reasons for all schools to play more schools than they currently do, whilst still playing their own comp. Just no more home and away for the GPS and CAS imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.