• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
That's great mate. Enjoy the kids footy I hope it brings many happy memory's for you.

No doubt Knox will attend the scots sevens to show there world domination as well.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
That's great mate. Enjoy the kids footy I hope it brings many happy memory's for you.

No doubt Knox will attend the scots sevens to show there world domination as well.

BM, my old mate and CN,

Love seeing this rival school banter which we all know has been around for a long time, I guess that's what makes these threads fun, keep going.

P.S. There will be another school who probably won't, but may, challenge both of you!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
They probably weren't.

But even there much lauded player (Luke Reimer) didn't make the CAS u16's team when it was first announced.

Knox will be undoubtedly a better team than Barker and everyone in CAS.

We have also been training very hard to make sure we wipe that smug look off the faces of the GPS comp.

I hope for Knox's sake, you haven't just delivered them them the 'kiss of death'.

B

Backline_Move

I hope for Knox's sake, you haven't just delivered them them the 'kiss of death'.

No such thing.

The only issue will be Matt Williams. But with his end in sight things will only get better.

Glassie is doing an excellent job, even with managing his Shute shield commitments as well.

B

Backline_Move

2017 season preview:

With the 2016 season over its already time to hypothesis over the potential teams and positions leading into next years season.

1st place:

Barker College

While a couple years in the wilderness means a strong young cohort of Barker players have flown under the radar, Barker peaked interest in a late season push to show how much potential they will have leading into 2017. The likes of Coghill, Lloyd, Flaherty and Reimer will be key to a successful 2017. There are other unsung heroes in the squad such as Buffa who was a standout and one of the best on paddock through the year as well as an energised and focused coaching staff that have been willing to roll the dice with some key positional decisions and set piece plays.

Key players: Coghill, Lloyd, Buffa

2nd Place:

Waverley College

Waverley has turned a corner this year. From their big dip in 2014 to finally claiming their first premiership in 7 years it was a great year and next year they will again be strong and competitive. But they will miss the size in some of their forwards and speed out wide to beat a barker team that will have all that and more. Waverley will have some very powerful players in Wright and Cornish who has been out for some time with an ACL injury. If they appoint the same coaches as this year, they will be genuine threat to the title.

Key players: Donaldson, Wright, Moretti

3rd Place:

Knox Grammar School

Knox would be disappointed they have been placed in third for this preview, but if you look closely at how much they lose this year, it is a likely scenario. Knox won't have a genuine back rower this year for the first time since 2013. A team that focuses so heavily on a strong forward runner will find this a difficult gap to fill. Without the stars of yesteryear they will still have strength coming from their seconds. But their weaknesses in their 16's age group will mean for once, Knox will find depth to be an issue.

Key Players: Frost, Woodcock, Cutrone

4th Place:

St Aloysius

This might seem a difficult prospect, especially considering the impact that 86-0 loss in the last round may have on their rugby program. But consider the strength in their u16's team who were the only team to beat Waverley u16's this year. While they relied heavily on a team that was consistently injured and sore, there will be more depth and lots of potential in this squad next year.

Players to Watch: Rahme, Westbury, Sullivan

5th Place:

Trinity

Trinity would be disappointed since they appointed Engele as coach several years ago, and rightly so. It has been a tough couple of years for the men in green, particularly when you look at the amount of NSW representatives the team has produced. The loss of Rasch and Longville will greatly impact the potential and basis that this team has ridden for so long. They will find 2017 a difficult year to compete in.

Players to watch: Stead, Hollingsworth-Dessent, Ilias

6th Place:

The story looks difficult for Cranbrook. The loss of Searle and Kemmeny are too big a gap to fill and when you look at their seconds and 16a's its paints a picture that shows, a win will be difficult for Cranbrook in 2017.

Players to watch: May

Ridiculous- Knox will be first.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
No such thing.

Gotta love your passion and positiveness. I am really looking forward to see how the GPS/CAS trial games pan out, especially Scots v Knox at Bellevue Hill on 20 May.

You won't see any smug looks on my face if Scots get up. A wry grin perhaps. But certainly no smugness.

And if Scots lose, I will cop it on the chin and be first to congratulate Knox supporters. Just hoping for the same from Knox supporters if they lose.

B

Backline_Move

Gotta love your passion and positiveness. I am really looking forward to see how the GPS/CAS trial games pan out, especially Scots v Knox at Bellevue Hill on 20 May.

You won't see any smug looks on my face if Scots get up. A wry grin perhaps. But certainly no smugness.

And if Scots lose, I will cop it on the chin and be first to congratulate Knox supporters. Just hoping for the same from Knox supporters if they lose.

Don't worry, we will have the whole team and Bryan Smith crying by the time we are done.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
B
No such thing.

The only issue will be Matt Williams. But with his end in sight things will only get better.

Glassie is doing an excellent job, even with managing his Shute shield commitments as well.

BM, what's the story re Matt Williams? Is he off contract at the end of this season? If so, is there any word out of Knox as to whether Tai Glassie will take over the reins acrosss the whole rugby program?

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
^^^

The blue and black juggernaut will be the most successful team this year- 100%

Love the passion mate, everyone has their opinion. However in these CAS/GPS trials anyone has the chance to win, week in week out at least 4 of these schools can take the crown.

I do hope Knox has another successful year and your claims are true, just sounding the horn on other schools.

S

sidelineview

Love the passion mate, everyone has their opinion. However in these CAS/GPS trials anyone has the chance to win, week in week out at least 4 of these schools can take the crown.

I do hope Knox has another successful year and your claims are true, just sounding the horn on other schools.

What crown? it's not a competition. Players will be keen to impress selectors to make Rep teams but apart from that there's only bragging rights up for grabs.
I suppose you could call it an unofficial competition but its nothing really.

On the CAS comp I expect Barker to perform very well. The Knox vs Barker game will be interesting.

B

Backline_Move

Wow. They are going to be that good.

If that's the case then you could expect 5 to 7 lads would make NSW 1s or 2s, or CS team at Nationals.

Besides Frost and possibly Woodward, who are the other certainties?

Max Cutrone and Brady Dawson will likely be in the mix.

It helps that our own Chuck Ardon is the front row selector for NSW as well.

There will be others in the mix no doubt.

B

Backline_Move

B

BM, what's the story re Matt Williams? Is he off contract at the end of this season? If so, is there any word out of Knox as to whether Tai Glassie will take over the reins acrosss the whole rugby program?

I think the school will lose Glassie to higher honours this year unfortunately.

Williams is unlikely to proceed past 2017 from my discussions with some Knox executives.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I suppose you could call it an unofficial competition but its nothing really.

I don't even think you could call it an unofficial competition, as not all teams play each other.

But maybe, some sort of quasi comp could be carved out in the pages of this forum thread, for example, 'Knox v GPS (ex Shore)' as Knox play all 5 other GPS schools in 5 consecutive weeks.

We could call it the Kleenex Cup, because I reckon it could end in tears for one team.

(Just kidding @Backline_Move)

MrTallTimber

Stan Wickham (3)
Max Cutrone and Brady Dawson will likely be in the mix.

It helps that our own Chuck Ardon is the front row selector for NSW as well.

There will be others in the mix no doubt.

I'd have to say both of those meaty men will be selected. Knowing Ardron's selection prowess on a personal level he will definitely make the correct decision with these two

Status
Not open for further replies.