• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The walk in the park by the bugger all naught team I mean the juggernaut team met with a bit of resistance eh. But well done to both teams eh for one hell of a show. It was tight and well fought Rugby. No disgrace and all respect to the Knox team. They are great players. Barker were just more brutal and intense.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agree with you for the most part, but the Knox support was definitely there. Most of the Knox boys bleed black and blue regardless of the result and for you to question it is quite disgraceful

Mr Talltimber,

I have heard that Knox has requested their whole school attend the game next week at Queens Park, I really hope so, both teams deserve that, and I am sure most boys at all schools don't realise/experience this because they don't turn up, so it is lost to them. They never know.

I love the Joeys model, turn up or no dinner (not quite true) but there are 15 Joeys buses everywhere they go, unbelievable school spirit, just 1 reason why they are always so good.

There a also a number of Waverley Old boys 40, 35.30 etc reunions, as must be the case for the Knox old boys, I know the Waves old boys are definitely coming, some have boys in the 1's etc, hope the Knox old boys do the same.

Anyway, let's hope the weather is again good for some big games.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Outstanding performance from Barker today - the discipline, effort and structure they had in their game was top notch. No doubt the best team on the day won. If the Knox comeback had gone all the way for a victory I don't think it would have been a fair result (and I'm a Knox supporter).

I think it will be fascinating to see how the Knox v Waverly game goes. I've felt that this season Knox has struggled to find that killer instinct/commitment that Barker displayed today - and was apparently present from both sides in the Barker/Waverly game last week. If they can't find the motivation from today's loss then I'm not sure what can fire them up.

So far both Barker and Waverly have shown they are worthy of a CAS premiership title, while Knox has yet to show that level in a game that really counts. Should Knox win next week then I think it's pretty fair that all three share it - three teams with outstanding individuals and solid role players. A Knox loss? Yep, third is as much as they deserve this year.

Dont........

Your summation is extremely balanced.

The Barker spirit,game plan, and execution has been extremely special, coming from an opposition supporter, Waves.
In another year that Barker team would win the Henry Plume Shield.
Maybe next year.

This coming Sat, at Queens Park we will find out the rest of the puzzle..

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting penalty try - would like that one explained - anyone see it and understand what happened ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kilgore,

I have been talking to axel, do you also have a boy in the Knox 14as?

If so, I will meet up with axel next week to say g'day, and you if you like,
let me know.

Cheers WLF. (Yes Waverley).

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting penalty try - would like that one explained - anyone see it and understand what happened ?

Intentionally collapsed maul, Barker going forward just out from Knox try line as far as I know. Why is it an issue?

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Kilgore,

I have been talking to axel, do you also have a boy in the Knox 14as?

If so, I will meet up with axel next week to say g'day, and you if you like,
let me know.

Cheers WLF. (Yes Waverley).
Hi WLF
My boy is in the 15 C team which followed the 14As - but thanks for the invite - Kilgore

james777

Bob McCowan (2)
Next weeks match at Queens park will be a cracker. Knox are a very dangerous side as todays game showed. They can put on points with ease if they are allowed to.
The question is will Waverley allow Knox to play the game they are capable of. Barker did their homework and out muscled and out enthused a talented Knox team today, just like they almost did against Waves last week.

If I was Waves I would be wary.

Knox can hit back. I am guessing it will be a shared premiership this year.

Based on today - Knox won't get there . I watched 4 games today and Knox seemed to have a missing ingredient - passion and commitment . Seconds were terrible. Who is coaching them - time to drop the coaching staff and half the forwards should be dropped to the lower grades . Very poor work rate from the backroa. The only highlight for knox was. HRd thought win in third grade . Need to have that will to win to make it happen boys

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Intentionally collapsed maul, Barker going forward just out from Knox try line as far as I know. Why is it an issue?

I was watching from the old grandstand which was overlooking that corner of the field and I guessed that could have been the reason but it looked like the mail was still up and I thought it might have been for something else - the ref seemed to be talking to one Knox player on his feet who had done something wrong - I was puzzled but that is not an unfamiliar feeling for me

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Based on today - Knox won't get there . I watched 4 games today and Knox seemed to have a missing ingredient - passion and commitment . Seconds were terrible. Who is coaching them - time to drop the coaching staff and half the forwards should be dropped to the lower grades . Very poor work rate from the backroa. The only highlight for knox was. HRd thought win in third grade . Need to have that will to win to make it happen boys

I didn't see the seconds but saw the firsts - Barker played better rugby, made fewer mistakes and won the game - if that is the new definition for commitment then so be it but I believe that every Knox boy in that team wanted to win very much and was trying their hardest - and the same goes for passion. Twice they came back from significant point deficits 12 and 14 points yet apparently they weren't passionate or committed.

To quote Homer Simpson - "it's very easy to criticize..... and fun too"

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The reality is fellows that the Boys on both of those battling teams yesterday probably played a whole lot better than 90per cent of us ever did apologies to those chaps reading who reached the higher echelons of the playing world. The fitness speed and physicality of all boys far exceeds anything from my day which was over 40 years ago now. It is easy to forget how hard and demanding the game can be to play. What I have seen over the last couple off games has been extreme sport. Bear this in mind chaps when posting. The Boys playing in the firsts are all athletes.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
There was no denying the passion and commitment from any of the Knox players in any of the grades. Every one of them were up for their respective game against Barker. There are never any excuses from the players from either team on this very special day. It is the reason why being in the winning team irrespective of your grade is so special and why the Barker Knox fixture is so important to both sides.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Knox nearly won the game. You can't challenge their commitment and passion.

The 16's age group from last year was always weak, so the difference this year is their depth. They did still beat Kings this year though - GPS competition favourites.

This Barker crop also has some exceptional players that have started recently at the school. They are going to be a very strong team next year.

In the end one team has to win and one has to lose. That's part of sport.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Knox beat kings ... and kings are the best schoolboy team this year, at least from what I have seen.

So Knox are a quality side

Barker probably had their best chance against Knox, as they have an excellent pack of forwards

So I reckon Waverley v Knox is going to be an absolute cracker

Waverley has a brittle line out.. but with moretti returning and being back to full strength , on their home track, with solid 2nds, and big Homeside support.... I think the sides are very evenly matched, with Waverley slight favourites

Key match ups

Woodcock v Donaldson ... fly halves

Wright v a quality Knox front row

Frost v Ellis being thrown up... line outs

Hardaker v pavlakis... X factor

Why Waverley should win ... better back row ... in moretti and Cornish

Why Knox could upset ... a lot to play for... and barker showed how right game plan is what can beat double v

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
If anyone interpreted my earlier comment as meaning that the individual Knox players were lacking passion and commitment, that's not what I was getting at. For me, passion/commitment/killer instinct at a "team" level is more than what the individuals are doing, it's about the team's structural and tactical approach to the game that harnesses the talents/passion/commitment of the players. That often comes down to the coaching and patterns of a school's rugby program throughout all age groups...

leftrightout16

Peter Burge (5)
Bit on the Cranbrook vs Aloys game.

First 5 minutes Cranbrook came out firing, gaining 2 penaltys and keeping possesion very well. They were awarded a penalty 30 out and decided to go for the 3 points. They missed and from there it was a downhill battle. As soon as Aloys got the ball they controlled possession and used their big forwards to push through the line.

12-0 at half time meant that Brook could still come back. They didn't. Aloys came out firing scoring 2 long range tries. Simon Rahme began to dominate the Brook forwards surpassing the advantage line every time. This brook team wasn't playing to the standard of the last few weeks and Aloys were playing extremely well. Year 10 Pollack was distributing well, Flaherty was flying through holes and Di Sano was exploiting sloppy defense. Tries built up and the game became sloppier. Aloys got 2 yellows and brook got 1 in the space of 10 minutes. In a last chance effort Brook subbed on year 10 young guns Hayman and Pakutoa who boosted the team and dominated their contacts. Off a quick tap Brook's Smith went over and gave the Cranbrook fans some hope for the future.

45-7. Brook were dominated by an Aloys team with a lot of heart. Congratulations to Aloys who had a large group of boys come watch.

bm_

Frank Row (1)
Brooks only chance at winning a game this season didn't go as they would've liked. As left right out already said they started strong but it just got worse as the game went on. Certaintly didn't have the defensive effort they had against Knox, they missed a lot of 1 on 1 tackles which led to easy tries like the one straight off the kick off. Aloys played well as a team with lots of offloads and support. Smith played well scoring their only try under the sticks making it 45-7. Year 10 boys, O'Reilly came off the bench just after half time followed by Hayman and Pakutoa about 10 mins after. They definitely helped but it just wasn't enough to bring them back in to it. Next season will be a lot better for the brook boys. Full credit to Aloys great performance, crowd was definitely a factor...

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
It is
If anyone interpreted my earlier comment as meaning that the individual Knox players were lacking passion and commitment, that's not what I was getting at. For me, passion/commitment/killer instinct at a "team" level is more than what the individuals are doing, it's about the team's structural and tactical approach to the game that harnesses the talents/passion/commitment of the players. That often comes down to the coaching and patterns of a school's rugby program throughout all age groups.
It's OK mate I just see the weight of the world on the shoulders of those Boys in the losing team when the game finishes. The expectations of the schools in this comp are very intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.