• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
I disagree with this, this year barker have not been up there with Knox and Waverley. Now for 2018 Aloysius will not be a strong competitor and with the Waverley 16s who are quite weak coming through that won't give the Waverley side a lot of depth. Cranbrook 16s coming through are quite strong which will help so it would be good to see what they can do for the year 11 cranbrook boys who are just terrible. I believe Knox will take the premiership next year, strong year 11s and strong 16s coming through

Don't disturb a genius at work.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I would argue to say that Barker are playing the best rugby in the CAS at the moment, seen in the last two games, their ability to retain the ball and build pressure for multiple phases looks like rugby played years out of school. Their defence has also looked very strong against Knox and Waverley, very organised and clinical although they might not have the program or rep players of other teams they seem to play above their weight together.
Prediction for next week: Waverley over Knox by 2 in a thriller
Barker over Cranbrook by 40+
Trinity over Aloys by 10

Yet playing at home against a team missing two rather handy Australian schoolboys they still couldn't get over the line. No doubt they're committed players but before you wallow in superlatives don't forget they lost at home against an understrength Waverley.

Runawayprop

Frank Nicholson (4)
They have been playing well. And have continued to grow.

But last week they had 70% possession and managed to score less than their opposition. That means they only defended for 30% of the game and let in more points than their opposition.

They have definitely played well, but if Waverley had that much ball, it wouldn't have been the pick and drive marathon on show.

The team playing the best rugby at the moment? The team leading the comp.

Barker were held up over the line a couple of times from memory - but agree had alot of possession v Waverly

Against Knox Barker dominated through all games excluding the thirds. Just felt that these local games bring out the best of the boys. Without being too critical i felt that the Knox boys were not at all great in the seconds, and in the the firsts some poor options taken by players probably didnt assist

Waverly will not mince words with Knox next week and i suspect a blow out in the scores

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
And how good would have Barker v Knox at Barker have been.

And no matter what happens this weekend, the return match at Knox would have been terrific too.

I will be interesting to see what the powers that control the CAS and GPS comps do next year. I doubt they will revert to the 2 round format.
Barker put the cat amount the pigeons re the split GPS/ CAS round by being much stronger than the previous 2 years suggested. Will they repeat this years format with maybe some subtle changes.. most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Was a great game, great atmosphere, but where were the Knox supporters.
A bit sad when they have to broadcast the Knox cheering from speakers on the side of the scoreboard to pretend its an echo.

Knox looked like they were out of ideas at times but then had some great moves at others.

Shame about the 14As but hard when you have 2 rep players in the team vs 14. I would like to kill the person that let AFL into the school, but the ARU don't see any problem

Just for the sake of accuracy, the Knox 14a's has 6 rep players, not 14.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Thus far Has Been has kept to his promise and published only mature and emotionally intelligent posts in order to keep Cyclo's deputies and the Decorum Police happy.

But there has been the odd request to see "Has Been unleashed" following the victory of Barker over Knox.

So what to do? Release the inner 16 year old or act true age?

Has Been has been suppressed for some years now as an avid and loyal Barker spectator - largely through seeing Knox And Waverley open up a can of whoop Barker ass each time they met.

On the other hand, Has been even has family pressure to keep commentary to a minimum and in a manner consistent with one's advancing years.

And Backline Move has again, bless his teenage soul, opened the path for more irresponsible moments. That Boy is a true trailblazer.

So given the fact that shortly there will be nothing to write about for another 9 months or so, and that Has been endures a daily life of boredom, Has been thought he might release at least a transcript of his inner mind chatter on the blowing of the final whistle in the Barker/Knox game. That way no person can possibly be offended. This is only the inane mind wanderings of an aging, stupid old white man, who possibly should be borderline scheduled under the mental health legislation....

Transcript as follows:

"Oooh yeah oooh yeah oooh yeah Who's Ya Daddy now who's ya Daddy Who's Ya Daddy. (pointing mentally in Knox crowd direction) ...You've been poned poned,poned, Baby, who's ya Daddy - Oh dont beat me Massa I'll be good dont beat me....wack wack wack wack.... click clack front and back you've been poned so dont come back"

Etc. Along those lines for at least two minutes. Thought all the while keeping a straight and emotionally mature face. Consistent with age. Consistent with being a Barker supporter in a straight middle class area watching school boy Rugby. Encouraging the players in a sedate manner by exclaiming (none too loudly of course) "Well done Barker"

The intense pleasure, like all said moments as one gets older, only lasts for a very short time.

So I am pleased Barker has been able to balance the scales a bit this year. Lord only knows how next year will go but I am sure it will be another great year the way it is shaping up.

Thank you to all the regulars for posting up stuff. Even if controversial, some of the posts have made by made with true good humour and good sportsmanship. And the game analysis as good as you read anywhere.

S

sidelineview

The reality is fellows that the Boys on both of those battling teams yesterday probably played a whole lot better than 90per cent of us ever did apologies to those chaps reading who reached the higher echelons of the playing world. The fitness speed and physicality of all boys far exceeds anything from my day which was over 40 years ago now. It is easy to forget how hard and demanding the game can be to play. What I have seen over the last couple off games has been extreme sport. Bear this in mind chaps when posting. The Boys playing in the firsts are all athletes.

A timely comment. Be mindful of respecting the players.

While most posters remain anonymous, the players remain identifiable and can be easy pickings.

The amount of effort they put into their rugby is enormous. Hours in the gym and sweating it out on the training paddock. Team training as well as private training. Being fit enough to play 70 minutes of intense rugby is no easy feat. They spend hours of practice over the years honing their skills and that's on top of their study commitments.

For the Year 12 players, its the culmination of their entire schoolboy rugby careers. It's a huge honour and achievement to make their school's 1st XV team. Anything else on top of that is a bonus. Their last game, and especially their last home game is special win, lose or draw.

They learn a lot, achieve a lot (in any grade) and have earnt respect.

Good luck to all the players next Saturday, especially the Year 12s. You'll all walk out winners irrespective of the results of the games.

S

sidelineview

And now for something not so serious ...

What happened with the toupee ?

Has Wayne the Pain recovered enough yet to reveal the truth of this intriguing story?

So what to do? Release the inner 16 year old or act true age?

Haha very good Hasbeen. ya just gotta release him sometimes.
Good song (snickering behind my hand in case the teacher catches me)

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If I was to predict the next five years comp winners it would be:

2018 Barker
2019 Trinity (Current 15a's undefeated leaders, but can be caught, only winning by tight margins) Aloysius could be the potential other winners.
2020 Waverley (Current 14a's undefeated leaders winning by 40+ each game)
2021 Waverley (Current 13a's undefeated leaders-winning by 40+ each game)

That's based on current results in the various year groups but doesn't take into account new students that are brought in for various schools. We can see the impact that has had with Barker with the likes of Pollard.

I agree Barker are major favourites for 2018. The Trinity 15a's lost just 3 weeks ago to Knox, 14-5, so Knox are leading that comp. In the 14's, both Waverley and Knox are undefeated this year, both teams putting more than 40 on every team pretty much. In the 13's, Waverley have a superb team from all accounts.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Wondering how much the new format this year helped Barker - ie in division 2 and so did not have to play the top GPS schools. Waverley had some injuries so were depleted, and some of the Knox stars, although giving it everything, looked they had a lot of miles on the clock... So Barker have been getting better every week (they were a bit ordinary early) whereas W & K may be wearing down.

Also wonder if the tough summer training leaves the Knox boys jaded by the end of the season...

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Barker did have the odd injury. Lochie Dring made it back for the Knox match having been out for 6 weeks. He added much needed height and weight to a good scrum putting Dane Wilson back in the 16s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Wondering how much the new format this year helped Barker - ie in division 2 and so did not have to play the top GPS schools. Waverley had some injuries so were depleted, and some of the Knox stars, although giving it everything, looked they had a lot of miles on the clock. So Barker have been getting better every week (they were a bit ordinary early) whereas W & K may be wearing down.

Also wonder if the tough summer training leaves the Knox boys jaded by the end of the season.

The exact same thought occurred to me mate. I wonder whether sending a team in against the best to begin with is a good idea. As to the training, I think the Barker boys trained pretty hard over the Xmas holidays as well. But doing that and then running against the best may end up be counterproductive. But what would we know eh. The coaches work it out pretty well.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I disagree ....I think the schools that have had to face up to the gps heavyweights have benefited

Take Waverley I think the teams outside of the 1sts have gained both valuable experience and have had a psychological advantage when they have returned to face the likes of aloys and trinity

Do I think it would be good for weaker rugby schools to face the heavyweights...definitely not ...

Anyway starting to think an expanded comp is the go

And a division 2 comp also expanded

Promotion/relegation

However also acknowledge the logistical problems

And don't want to lose the fact that whole schools face off , top to tail

Status
Not open for further replies.