• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2022

Right Shoulder

Frank Row (1)
Early predictions for first r1 CAS
Brook v Knox (Knox)
Wave v Aloys (Waverly)
Bark v Trin (Barker)

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any upsets this weekend however would love to see either Brook or Aloys get up against their oppositions.

Right shoulder

Roger Mass

Frank Row (1)
Early predictions for first r1 CAS
Brook v Knox (Knox)
Wave v Aloys (Waverly)
Bark v Trin (Barker)

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any upsets this weekend however would love to see either Brook or Aloys get up against their oppositions.

Right shoulder
My prediction is that Brook will give Knox a good run if they can hold onto the ball and stay out of penalty trouble. Will be interesting to see how the forwards match up.

SkyBlue

Banned
Ned Slack Smith and Adrian Brown both in the junior Wallabies
Both homegrown Barker boys. Seems like Barker actually does have the ability to produce rugby talent. Not just buy it. Almost like a lot of us have been saying. Doing a great job with the cards they have been dealt.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Knox, Waves, Barker. All games will be convincing wins.
Agree Rod,

Knox, Waves and Barker by unfortunately these days, way too much.

I feel sorry for Aloys and wish/hope that they could strengthen their Rugby program, this weekend they have 9 teams playing from the 13s-Opens.
Of these 9 only the 1s,2s, 16as and 13as are matching up, the 15as and 14as are not playing their equivalent nor are any of the remaining Aloys teams matching up against their respective Waves team, but that is ok and wise.
As it turns out the Waves 16as and 13as sides are very strong so these games will be managed.

Not sure what should happen going forward but safety is paramount, and the enjoyment of the boys and parents must be tough.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree Rod,

I feel sorry for Aloys and wish/hope that they could strengthen their Rugby program, this weekend they have 9 teams playing from the 13s-Opens.
Of these 9 only the 1s,2s, 16as and 13as are matching up, the 15as and 14as are not playing their equivalent nor are any of the remaining Aloys teams matching up against their respective Waves team, but that is ok and wise.
As it turns out the Waves 16as and 13as sides are very strong so these games will be managed.

Not sure what should happen going forward but safety is paramount, and the enjoyment of the boys and parents must be tough.
WLF3,

Will be interesting to see if the Aloys 14 & 15s are playing in their respective CAS B competitions for the entire season , or if it is just this week as Waverly 14A / 15As have been able to get games against Stannies (school hasn't said anything on this topic). Not sure if the CAS 14/15A's comp will be a 5 team comp or if another school's B team has moved up to make it a 6 team comp (and hence avoid an A team having a bye each week).

I am actually amazed the 13A's game is happening. Oakhill 13A's had been undefeated all year, having large / very large wins each week. All players in that team play rep for either Eastwood or Parramatta, however they lost last weekend 43-0 to Waverly. Speaking to some Oakhill dads and their comment was that the Waverly team was easily better than the Warringah or Parramatta rep teams (who were 1st and 2nd at State Champs last year).

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
WLF3,

Will be interesting to see if the Aloys 14 & 15s are playing in their respective CAS B competitions for the entire season , or if it is just this week as Waverly 14A / 15As have been able to get games against Stannies (school hasn't said anything on this topic). Not sure if the CAS 14/15A's comp will be a 5 team comp or if another school's B team has moved up to make it a 6 team comp (and hence avoid an A team having a bye each week).

I am actually amazed the 13A's game is happening. Oakhill 13A's had been undefeated all year, having large / very large wins each week. All players in that team play rep for either Eastwood or Parramatta, however they lost last weekend 43-0 to Waverly. Speaking to some Oakhill dads and their comment was that the Waverly team was easily better than the Warringah or Parramatta rep teams (who were 1st and 2nd at State Champs last year).
Yes ap1, it is becoming very difficult to manage and no one wins in these situations. Thus my point about assessing a longer term solution.
The GPS has done this well via their 3rd XV comp, unfortunately the CAS doesn't have a 9 member school group, only 6.

So unless some other schools eg strong ISA rugby schools are considered for a new look CAS comp, then things will probably only get worse, and I think I am correct in saying that the GPS don't want a combined, tier level comp involving the schools of similar rugby standard and a suitable number of teams.

I think I heard that in NZ this is the way the school system works. Several tiers with a promotion and relegation system, but I am happy to be corrected. It does sound better IMO.

This of course only involves Rugby , so mixing up the existing systems may not work for other sports.
Clearly this is not an easy solution.

In regards to the Waves 13as team, and the other 5 Waves 13s teams the age group is very strong and games like Aloys will certainly be managed properly rest assured.

Roger Mass

Frank Row (1)
Agree Rod,

Completely agree WLF3,

It's sad to see that nowadays a school like Aloys has to import players or improve coaching (not sure as I haven't heard much about rugby coaching at Aloys) in order to just get a close game. The unfortunate reality is that these teams they are coming up against in CAS are miles ahead of them and will be lucky to even get a close game.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Any update on Archie Saunders (13) for Knox came of against joeys in the first 5 minutes and Didn’t play last week is he in the starting line up today?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
From Rod

Attachments

• 4626B602-C436-4FF0-8829-C0BDB9DCC4AC.jpeg
    4626B602-C436-4FF0-8829-C0BDB9DCC4AC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 351
Both homegrown Barker boys. Seems like Barker actually does have the ability to produce rugby talent. Not just buy it. Almost like a lot of us have been saying. Doing a great job with the cards they have been dealt.
Just from some inside information Skyblue, those boys both get a good chunk of their fees paid for as do most others. It seems the only schools that produces talent completely are joeys and view who both don’t have a single player on a scholarship. And even if those two boys weren’t getting their fees paid for, the majority of the team are all imports anyways nothing special

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Just from some inside information Skyblue, those boys both get a good chunk of their fees paid for as do most others. It seems the only schools that produces talent completely are joeys and view who both don’t have a single player on a scholarship. And even if those two boys weren’t getting their fees paid for, the majority of the team are all imports anyways nothing special
Glass houses from joeys fanboys gets pretty annoying.

Miles Minto, currently in the joeys first XV was a Waverley boy until year 10. Parents didn’t just win the lottery.

The Waverley 16a’s captain for this year, also currently being offered a spot at Joeys.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Wrong.