• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
I know its very early but does anyone have any predicted lineups yet?
Knox predicted line up:
1. McKinnon (1sts)
2.Hugo McDonald(2nds)
3.Goddard (1sts)
4.harris(2nds)
5.erricson(1st)
6.Morrison(2nds)
7.ryan (1sts)
8.Heath Turner (16As)
9.Lachlan whiteing (2nds)
10.schmude(1sts/2nds)
11.Max Roach(16As)
12Enasio(1sts)
13.Jake Fulton(2nds)
14.tbc
15.Hall(16As)
A lot of returning players and I’d say pretty confidently the favourites

Stag Stalwart

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox predicted line up:
1. McKinnon (1sts)
2.Hugo McDonald(2nds)
3.Goddard (1sts)
4.harris(2nds)
5.erricson(1st)
6.Morrison(2nds)
7.ryan (1sts)
8.Heath Turner (16As)
10.schmude(1sts/2nds)
11.Max Roach(16As)
12Enasio(1sts)
13.Jake Fulton(2nds)
14.tbc
15.Hall(16As)
There was mention earlier of 2 CAS front rowers in the 16's, do you think Mcdonald will get the nod instead?

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Grey College and Millfield were confirmed for the world schools cup in December in Thailand. Great for the comp with the two top teams from SA and England confirmed. Will Barker go do we think? The obvious choice from Aus. But given HSC and schoolies may not be in the best shape.

Grey College and Millfield were confirmed for the world schools cup in December in Thailand. Great for the comp with the two top teams from SA and England confirmed. Will Barker go do we think? The obvious choice from Aus. But given HSC and schoolies may not be in the best shape.
Can’t see any Australian schools going, year 12’s will have moved on and league preseason will be in full swing as well.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Barker would be silly to go. Wouldn't be taking their year 12's leaving a shell of the team they were last year at best. Participating would only be detrimental to Barker's image. December really weird time for such a competition.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
I doubt an aus team would go, this tournament suits England as it’s at the end of there preason and sa at the end of their season but for an Australian team it would be very early on in their preseason where they’re trying to feel the wholes from their year 12s departing

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Knox predicted line up:
1. McKinnon (1sts)
2.Hugo McDonald(2nds)
3.Goddard (1sts)
4.harris(2nds)
5.erricson(1st)
6.Morrison(2nds)
7.ryan (1sts)
8.Heath Turner (16As)
10.schmude(1sts/2nds)
11.Max Roach(16As)
12Enasio(1sts)
13.Jake Fulton(2nds)
14.tbc
15.Hall(16As)

I reckon Riley Caswell from the 15As will fill that #14 slot. Gun player - Gen Blue and Aus u15 league rep.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Good luck to the kids selected for the gen blue game v QLD team tomorrow:

WARATAHS u16’s

1. Daniel Christodoulou (Trinity)
2. Max Meagher (Trinity)
4. Zion Poitaha (Waverley)
7. Oliver Aboud (Waverley)
14. Charlie Poynton (Barker)

Reserves
19. Sam Niulal (Trinity)

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
There are a few CAS reps in the u19’s game as well.

Force

8. Ned Slack-Smith (Barker)

Brumbies

Reserves
17. Reeve Smith (Waverley)
20. Klayton Thorn (Waverley)

Waratahs

5. Fritz Jahnke-Tavana (Waverley)
6. Clem Halaholo (Waverley)
10. Tom Goddard (Knox)
12. Charlie Worthington (Waverley)
11. Aaron Dimovitch (Waverley)
15. Tom Morrison (Knox)

And Klayton Thorn (Waverley) has reportedly moved to the top squad at the brumbies.

Last edited:

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
#discussion - strongest teams of the last decade hypothesis#

I’m my old age, I was wondering about some of the best match ups that could happen between some of the best CAS teams over the last 10 years.

I believe if we were to make a team list of the strongest CAS Teams over the past 10 years you would have to say the following teams would be up there as the best teams:

If we go by CAS v GPS results the strongest teams would be 2017, 2018 and 2021. But I also think that the dominance of a team in the competition and pre season games also shows how great those teams were.

2015 Knox
2017 Waverley
2018 Barker
2021 Waverley
2022 Barker

I would love to see a match up between any of these teams.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
#discussion - strongest teams of the last decade hypothesis#

I’m my old age, I was wondering about some of the best match ups that could happen between some of the best CAS teams over the last 10 years.

I believe if we were to make a team list of the strongest CAS Teams over the past 10 years you would have to say the following teams would be up there as the best teams:

If we go by CAS v GPS results the strongest teams would be 2017, 2018 and 2021. But I also think that the dominance of a team in the competition and pre season games also shows how great those teams were.

2015 Knox
2017 Waverley
2018 Barker
2021 Waverley
2022 Barker

I would love to see a match up between any of these teams.

I think you need to include 2020 Waverley. Lot's of boys moving on to bigger and better things.

I think this year's Barker team (2022) would take the cake though, with 5 boys in discussions to sign professional contracts, or have already signed contracts already (Katoa, Edwards, Phillipson, Finau and Hooper), although think that 2020 Waverley team would challenge them.

I wonder which GPS teams would be included too. I would have Scots (2014) Kings (2020), and of course a couple of Joeys teams.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I think you need to include 2020 Waverley. Lot's of boys moving on to bigger and better things.

I think this year's Barker team (2022) would take the cake though, with 5 boys in discussions to sign professional contracts, or have already signed contracts already (Katoa, Edwards, Phillipson, Finau and Hooper), although think that 2020 Waverley team would challenge them.

I wonder which GPS teams would be included too. I would have Scots (2014) Kings (2020), and of course a couple of Joeys teams.

Would 2018 Barker beat 2022 Barker?

The 2018 Barker team had significant selections in the CAS team and that CAS team dismantled a strong GPS team in the rep games.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Would 2018 Barker beat 2022 Barker?

The 2018 Barker team had significant selections in the CAS team and that CAS team dismantled a strong GPS team in the rep games.

I believe 2018 had 14 CAS selections (everyone except no. 7. Weymouth) and 2022 had 13 (if we include Isaiya) being, Saihyoun, Edwards, Finau, Van Wyk, Ekenyake, Livingstone, Hooper, Phillipson, Katoa, Kennedy, Sagala, Read and Poynton.

I think you can definitely make an argument for both. However, only 3 boys from 2018 went on to play professionally (Pollard, Reimer and Adrian Brown to some extent). It's looking likely that 5 boys from 2022 will sign contracts in the coming weeks (or so I am told.

Both are strong teams. I'm not sure how a matchup would go.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I believe 2018 had 14 CAS selections (everyone except no. 7. Weymouth) and 2022 had 13 (if we include Isaiya) being, Saihyoun, Edwards, Finau, Van Wyk, Ekenyake, Livingstone, Hooper, Phillipson, Katoa, Kennedy, Sagala, Read and Poynton.

I think you can definitely make an argument for both. However, only 3 boys from 2018 went on to play professionally (Pollard, Reimer and Adrian Brown to some extent). It's looking likely that 5 boys from 2022 will sign contracts in the coming weeks (or so I am told.

Both are strong teams. I'm not sure how a matchup would go.

An interesting way to look at it, who would be picked in a combined team:

1. Brown (2018)
2. Pollard (2018)
3. Finau (2022)
4. Flaherty (2018)
5. Dring (2018)
6. ??? Thoughts? Cameron (Though he didn’t peak until later)
7. Reimer (2018)
8. Hooper (2022)
9. Phillipson (2022)
10. Katoa (2022)
11. Bryden (2018)
12. Sagala (2022)
13. Graham /Nercession (2018)
14. Galloway (2018)
15. ?? Thoughts? Maybe Dudley? Vass?

Last edited:

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
An interesting way to look at it, who would be picked in a combined team:

1. Brown (2018)
2. Pollard (2018)
3. Finau (2022)
4. Flaherty (2018)
5. Dring (2018)
6. ??? Thoughts? Cameron (Though he didn’t peak until later)
7. Reimer (2018)
8. Hooper (2022)
9. Phillipson (2022)
10. Katoa (2022)
11. Bryden (2018)
12. Sagala (2022)
13. Graham /Nercession (2018)
14. Galloway (2018)
15. ?? Thoughts? Maybe Dudley?
Kennedy at 6. Although didn’t get to play there much he was playing there for gen blue