• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Doesn’t work like that .. you’ll just cause resentment amongst the parents, when the kids who have been in the As all the way up, get shafted in year 11 and 12 … that’s not how you create a good rugby culture unfortunately
I disagree. If you get shafted in year 11 or 12 you’re simply not good enough.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
So same as knox and Waverley then.
well… not sure about that. Knox and Waverley have a higher percentage of “home grown” fee paying kids in the A teams and 1sts, but they have much bigger male intake. The Barker model is needed by them to be competitive with the bigger schools. Agree nothing wrong with it, drives a better comp.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
You were talking about creating a grassroots culture
Yep. Establishing Barker as an elite 1st XV program will in turn, want parents with children who are involved in rugby to attend Barker. Scholarships don’t destroy that culture or Waverley and Oakhill and the GPS schools wouldn’t have culture. Move on.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep. Establishing Barker as an elite 1st XV program will in turn, want parents with children who are involved in rugby to attend Barker. Scholarships don’t destroy that culture or Waverley and Oakhill and the GPS schools wouldn’t have culture. Move on.
Have to disagree R or D,

In the case of Waverley it has been only in the last 4-5 years that a few imports, not wholesale, have come in, and for all the reasons I mentioned earlier it causes a lot of unease amongst the vast majority of boys and parents who have come through the years.

Since its inception into the CAS in 1943, the Waves have won nearly twice as many CAS comps as it's closest rival, that is a real culture.
Buying comps, regardless of school, is exactly that!

Reading the backwards and forwards on Barker I think it’s worth remembering that kids move there for a variety of reasons including family connections that you might not be aware of. Yes there’s a few scholarships but I think you’ll find some you assume are on scholarships aren’t. Barker has always had kids come in at year 10 either for the fact boarding only starts then or for the fact that’s when historically co-ed started. It’s also worth noting that some will come for HSC subject choices, Barker has one of the biggest cohorts doing Agriculture in the state.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
It also is only the international level ones. Doesn’t include the likes of Sayoun who was the top ranked loose head prop for u15’s gen blue and Charlie Poynton who was playing firsts off the bench for St Augustine’s in year 9.

As you said, if they lost it would have been just incredible.

And they only beat Knox by 6 and Waverley by 1(3 driving maul tries too I might add) try and an international kicker who doesn’t miss a goal.
Poynton did not play firsts for St Augustines in year 9.

On a side note, does anyone know what school Sam Sahyoun originally came from?

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Oakhill. Decided to join Barker for better coaching and it clearly worked.
I mean, despite the arrogance of this comment, (and missing the fact that Barker have players in their team on scholarships that would have been playing for Oakhill 1sts when they beat them by 9 points this year) from a purely objective point of view, Sam has actually gone backwards since joining Barker. He was the top ranked u15’s loose head, and now has Jack Barrett in front of him. That is a step backwards in his development.

Plus, you obviously haven’t met the Oakhill 1st XV Head coach Andrew Wisemantle.

Now I actually think your account may have been set up to purposefully make people hate Barker - it is working.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I mean, despite the arrogance of this comment, (and missing the fact that Barker have players in their team on scholarships that would have been playing for Oakhill 1sts when they beat them by 9 points this year) from a purely objective point of view, Sam has actually gone backwards since joining Barker. He was the top ranked u15’s loose head, and now has Jack Barrett in front of him. That is a step backwards in his development.

Plus, you obviously haven’t met the Oakhill 1st XV Head coach Andrew Wisemantle.

Now I actually think your account may have been set up to purposefully make people hate Barker - it is working.

No. Oakhill is a great rugby school. Actually went there for a while. But Dean Hargreaves is the Gen Blue coach and was the reason he was interested in Barker.

Also from a purely objective point of view, you've never watched Sam play if you think he regressed as a player. U15's he was a rugby league player trying to play rugby union. His set piece was shocking, his catch pass was terrible, his footy IQ was lacking and his ball security was shocking. He was quite literally just a prospect, but a physical beast. Since then he has improved TENFOLD as a rugby player.

FootyCentral!

Frank Nicholson (4)
He was the top ranked u15’s loose head, and now has Jack Barrett in front of him. That is a step backwards in his development.
Probably the dumbest comment on this forum atm…
Also from a purely objective point of view, you've never watched Sam play if you think he regressed as a player. U15's he was a rugby league player trying to play rugby union. His set piece was shocking, his catch pass was terrible, his footy IQ was lacking and his ball security was shocking. He was quite literally just a prospect, but a physical beast. Since then he has improved TENFOLD as a rugby player.
Very accurate. Especially in the last 12 months the improvement has been amazing.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Who does everyone think is the team to beat next year? Knox or Waverley?

I think Barker won’t quite have the talent to compete with those two this year, and my early prediction will see Waverley taking home the Henry Plume Shield undefeated, just beating Knox. I would say Barker will be fighting with Cranbrook for 3rd spot considering the strength and youth of their 2’s last year, Trinity in 5th and Aloys will do their best.

Buzzkill

Frank Row (1)
Knox forwards will be stacked next year with rep players:

Front Row - Goddard and McKinnnon, both returning Aus A schools players. Plus two CAS under 16 front rowers coming through for hooker
Second row - Ericsson and Harris - both Gen Blue
Back Row - Turner (u 16s Gen blue), Ryan (NSW Pres)

I don't see anyone competing with that front 8. Backs not as strong. maybe Enasio and the u16 fullback only real stars. Not sure what they do in the halves which could be a weak point.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
By the sounds of that if you can find a 10 that is good enough and a Winger/Fullback with some toe than it's half the battle in my opinion. A strong forward pack can dictate a game much more than a backline from what I've seen. Take Riverview in the GPS for example, they had a backline that was able to score points and make line breaks but their piggies couldn't match it for the entire match with opponents and it lead to them losing a lot of games by not much in the last 15 mins.

Get on the defensive drills and Knox won't be much fun to play

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Knox forwards will be stacked next year with rep players:

Front Row - Goddard and McKinnnon, both returning Aus A schools players. Plus two CAS under 16 front rowers coming through for hooker
Second row - Ericsson and Harris - both Gen Blue
Back Row - Turner (u 16s Gen blue), Ryan (NSW Pres)

I don't see anyone competing with that front 8. Backs not as strong. maybe Enasio and the u16 fullback only real stars. Not sure what they do in the halves which could be a weak point.
They will have Hall on one wing and he is faster than Sherlock already. Also have Morrison and Allen coming back from injury in the forwards but inside backs definitely an issue, although with Enasio likely to move to IC they will have some go forward.