• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
You probably shouldn’t speculate on something you know nothing about .. and to insinuate joeys is somehow “scared to play” is hilarious. The college runs a tight ship, many teachers also have boarding duties… also to pull kids out of class at this time of year with many taking final exams is definitely something the college is historically against ..

Also Your ( however inaccurate) jab against GPS schools is just laughable, I can see that chip on your shoulder from here…
My friend, Joeys didn't pull out. The ARU didn't ask Joeys. They invited Barker after originally planning to invite Joeys, but changed their mind.

And yes. The GPS going back to home and away is bad for rugby. And the GPS' unwillingness to negotiate and work with the CAS and ISA in the name of 'tradition' is detrimental for the sport. A real shame.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
And yes. The GPS going back to home and away is bad for rugby. And the GPS' unwillingness to negotiate and work with the CAS and ISA in the name of 'tradition' is detrimental for the sport. A real shame.
Why don’t the CAS and ISA lead they way then and start a joint competition? .. if it’s all in the name of “saving rugby”
Yes. And I'm clarifying. Joeys weren't invited.
lol

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
My friend, Joeys didn't pull out. The ARU didn't ask Joeys. They invited Barker after originally planning to invite Joeys, but changed their mind.

RoD,

Spot on re the GPS going back to play in their own little sand pit, a MASSIVE shame for the development of Schoolboy Rugby.

Now, not that it will help rugby, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with the AFL schoolboy season, as currently the comp is made up of a combination of CAS and GPS schools, but I suspect the CAS will do the right thing and not decide to just play within just the CAS schools.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
RoD,

Spot on re the GPS going back to play in their own little sand pit, a MASSIVE shame for the development of Schoolboy Rugby.

Now, not that it will help rugby, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with the AFL schoolboy season, as currently the comp is made up of a combination of CAS and GPS schools, but I suspect the CAS will do the right thing and not decide to just play within just the CAS schools.
That's very interesting regarding the AFL season. I did not know the GPS and CAS were combined. If they can do it for one sport, they can certainly do it for rugby.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
That's very interesting regarding the AFL season. I did not know the GPS and CAS were combined. If they can do it for one sport, they can certainly do it for rugby.
Well RoD,

Whilst you are a red man and I am a Waves man, we often may not see eye to eye, let's agree on this topic because the required direction for ALL these schools is VERY obvious to all. A joint CAS/ISA comp, is a good idea in my view, would have worked much better with a 2 tiered system which included the GPS. A CAS/ISA comp may/may not be saving Rugby in the end, but it is a step in the right direction.

Let the winner of the GPS beat 4/5 other schools, who hoo!

red son

Frank Nicholson (4)
It should be remembered when criticizing the GPS, that the CAS for 8 years (2009 to 20016) played a ten round "home and away" comp.

The GPS will do what it sees best for its schools and not for anyone else. Self interest always rules.

They are in a joint GPS/CAS water polo comp but that is because when it started CAS had enough schools to run a comp but GPS (from memory) only had two. So they joined with the CAS schools.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
It should be remembered when criticizing the GPS, that the CAS for 8 years (2009 to 20016) played a ten round "home and away" comp.

The GPS will do what it sees best for its schools and not for anyone else. Self interest always rules.

They are in a joint GPS/CAS water polo comp but that is because when it started CAS had enough schools to run a comp but GPS (from memory) only had two. So they joined with the CAS schools.
That's is spot on Red Son, the CAS did play a home and away comp which was just as limiting as the GPS doing the same, but not by it's own choice.
This is NOT tradition for either association, as for decades we all played each other. like currently, until we reverted to our own comps, and the memories of many people involve playing the best schools each year, not the same ones over and over.

Sounds like the CAS did the smart thing re water polo and opened it up for the the right reasons!

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Can you provide us with any further details as in dates and if the game will be livestream'd
DETAILS RE BARKER COLLEGE VS NUDGEE COLLEGE

Game to be played 10 September 2022 at Nudgee College. Game to be streamed with full coverage on Stan Sport (massive news).

I assume the game will be an afternoon game but they haven't announced a time yet.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
A great opportunity. This definitely feels as though something joeys would withdraw from. Only focused on their gps competition rather than trying to broaden rugby and the important role they should be playing.

Similar to the gps returning to a home and away season next year. They must also be a be a embarrassed from their win loss ratio against CAS schools over the past 6 years as well since the comps merged.

Well done Barker taking the charge and heading up there for a great game.
What a load of rot, if Barker had the smallest interest in improving rugby they wouldn’t fill their teams in senior years with kids who are already committed to the NRL. Why is it that an A grade player at Joeys in yr 10 has never played Barker yet the first XV have played Barker every year? Simple, because the scholarships arrive in year 11….

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great. Barker should follow the Joeys model! Kick out all the girls. No focus on the arts. Academics? Who needs that? Fill Hornsby with testosterone, boarding houses, and make everything rugby!

I hate to break it to you... but Barker is a school... A great school at that. Why would it want to imitate Joeys?

You are comparing a Co-Ed SCHOOL, a place that aims to educate (and does that very well) and to craft great young men and women, with a holistic experience of education... to a place that purely exists to pump out rugby talent, and to house wealthy country boys, who will take the opportunity for granted, not put a second of work in academically, and will return back to the farm.

It's silly.

Also... literally one boy has gone on to league... in the last 6 years... and you talk about it like Max Jorgensen hasn't signed a league contract... Joeys should drop him considering he's already committed to the NRL if that's your belief.
More dribble, utter ignorance.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Has Max gone to the dark side? What about Oscar?

Yes. Supposedly signed by Roosters. Now I guess both him and Sua'ali'i have both been stolen by that club to sit behind Tedesco, and then eventually have to battle it out against each other for fullback with Joey Manu when he eventually retires, which doesn't seem soon.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes. Supposedly signed by Roosters. Now I guess both him and Sua'ali'i have both been stolen by that club to sit behind Tedesco, and then eventually have to battle it out against each other for fullback with Joey Manu when he eventually retires, which doesn't seem soon.
Fake news, I can say with confidence that this is incorrect at this point in time. Yes the roosters are keen but there are various options in both codes to consider.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is that the tight ship that got them an HSC rank of 150 last year?
Classy,

They also have the highest number of old boys enrolling their sons back into the school - out of any school private school in Sydney .. and trust me there’s no discount …

I’m not going to insult students or others schools (as I’m not a mouthbreater) but the academic rankings and landscape are far more complex than they were was 20 years again … but again, ….. people in glass houses ….

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Classy,

They also have the highest number of old boys enrolling their sons back into the school - out of any school private school in Sydney .. and trust me there’s no discount …

I’m not going to insult students or others schools (as I’m not a mouthbreater) but the academic rankings and landscape are far more complex than they were was 20 years again … but again, ….. people in glass houses ….

Yes. Joey's does a great job in instilling school pride in their boys, and in establishing great rugby culture... but that's not what I want paying ridiculous fees for a private school. I want substance. Academics. The Arts. Character Development. Etc. So no. Barker is not going to imitate Joey's, nor should they want to damage their reputation as a school in order to prop up their rugby program.

As such, it is silly to compare Joeys to Barker. They're not the same.