• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Assuming you are insinuating that a Joey's game would have been more difficult for Nudgee, the 20-point Barker win at Joeys says otherwise. As does the 5 Barker wins vs Joeys in the last 6 years.
The loss to Scots college suggests that Joeys should have gone. You can't use one match to dictate whether a school should/shouldn't go.

Last edited:

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Classy,

They also have the highest number of old boys enrolling their sons back into the school - out of any school private school in Sydney .. and trust me there’s no discount …

I’m not going to insult students or others schools (as I’m not a mouthbreater) but the academic rankings and landscape are far more complex than they were was 20 years again … but again, ….. people in glass houses ….
G,

Believe me I DID NOT say that, this has been cleverly pasted, probably by a schoolboy.
I would never mention or belittle any school about their ATAR rankings or quality as a school, ie the reference of 150 ranking!
It actually makes me very angry that this was put out there, but it got a bite.

I firmly believe each school needs to develop its own positioning as a business to attract the relevant students.
Albeit it Joeys, Barker, or my old school Waverley, which positions itself as a cross reference of people across the population, they are all great schools have have developed many wonderful young men.

Let's just talk about footy....

Cheers mate!

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes. Joey's does a great job in instilling school pride in their boys, and in establishing great rugby culture... but that's not what I want paying ridiculous fees for a private school. I want substance. Academics. The Arts. Character Development. Etc. So no. Barker is not going to imitate Joey's, nor should they want to damage their reputation as a school in order to prop up their rugby program.

As such, it is silly to compare Joeys to Barker. They're not the same.
No one is suggesting Barker should imitate Joeys, Barker couldn't come close. If it is character you are looking for, well I know who I would want to be in the trenches with. As for the balance of your narrow minded bs, Joeys does just fine on the arts front, the school had the best music facilities of all private schools as long ago as 1980, for gods sake, Joeys produced the Cockroaches Oh, and the school won the debating this year against High and Grammar. Barker is part of the reason that the GPS is reverting to home and away, I’ll give you the hint, it’s not because Barker is too good.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
If only there was some way of determining who is the top team in Sydney… a competition of some kind.
How can you have a competition that faces Barker off against GPS schools when their age group teams actively avoid or refuse to plays Joeys? It is a simple admission on behalf of Barker that until they have their scholarship students arrive they are uncompetitive.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I unfortunately am not 100% sure about either. I believe the game is on the 10th. Also heard that it was going to be streamed on Stan, but couldn't find anything online about it. Will report if I hear more.

Why would RA find this? I call bullshit.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
DETAILS RE BARKER COLLEGE VS NUDGEE COLLEGE

Game to be played 10 September 2022 at Nudgee College. Game to be streamed with full coverage on Stan Sport (massive news).

I assume the game will be an afternoon game but they haven't announced a time yet.
Early game 1pm

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
An ISA/CAS competition cannot work, either one has to drop scholarships, or one has in introduce them. And with a lot of ISA boys leaving their respective schools to pursue rugby at a higher level at CAS schools, I can't imagine this would workout.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
The loss to Scots college suggests that Joeys should have gone. You can't use one match to dictate whether a school should/shouldn't go.

Barker have beaten Joeys 5 out of the last 6 years... they are currently a better 1st XV program.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker have beaten Joeys 5 out of the last 6 years... they are currently a better 1st XV program.
How many Barker boys were selected in Gen Blue 1’s or 2’s this year? Successful sporting schools don’t have a strong 1st team programs, they have a strong programs. It’s a subtle difference but it is the difference between earned success and purchased success. I have no issues with the kids awarded scholarships, many of them are fine individuals and why shouldn’t they take the opportunity. It is the misplaced chest beating by people who think that the limited success is a reflection of the brilliance of their system rather than the size of their cheque book that I find odd. I do wish that there was a GPS v CAS playoff at the end of the season. It would put an end to the sort of dribble that goes on. A full strength Barker did outplay Joeys this year, that Joeys team was missing 2 starting Gen blue players and the rest of the team was riddled with the flu. No excuses, Barker won the match and hold the bragging rights but keep it in perspective. A full strength and full health contest would have been a great spectacle.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
How many Barker boys were selected in Gen Blue 1’s or 2’s this year? Successful sporting schools don’t have a strong 1st team programs, they have a strong programs. It’s a subtle difference but it is the difference between earned success and purchased success. I have no issues with the kids awarded scholarships, many of them are fine individuals and why shouldn’t they take the opportunity. It is the misplaced chest beating by people who think that the limited success is a reflection of the brilliance of their system rather than the size of their cheque book that I find odd. I do wish that there was a GPS v CAS playoff at the end of the season. It would put an end to the sort of dribble that goes on. A full strength Barker did outplay Joeys this year, that Joeys team was missing 2 starting Gen blue players and the rest of the team was riddled with the flu. No excuses, Barker won the match and hold the bragging rights but keep it in perspective. A full strength and full health contest would have been a great spectacle.

Barker had 11 players still in their 1st XV picked in a NSW team (Onitit Finau, Bryn Edwards, Sam Saihyoun, Adam Van Wyk, Will Kennedy, Thomas Livingstone, Lachlan Hooper, Doug Phillipson, Eli Sagala, Jakob Biet, and another boy who tore his ACL before the start of the season), plus one picked in the under 16's and 2 additional players picked in a CAS team with no further representation, plus Isaiya Katoa who didn't get picked but I don't need to elaborate. Quite a few of these boys are homegrown.

Plus, every single one of these scholarship boys improve over their time at Barker, because it is a good footy program, despite not organically receiving the same amount of talent as many of the GPS schools, such as Joeys.

As I have said it's weird that Joeys keeps comparing themselves to Barker. They are completely different. Barker is a co-ed school and Joey is a rugby factory. An all-boys boarding school.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
How many Barker boys were selected in Gen Blue 1’s or 2’s this year? Successful sporting schools don’t have a strong 1st team programs, they have a strong programs. It’s a subtle difference but it is the difference between earned success and purchased success

Barker is a co-ed school with a small male intake. It is not a traditional rugby bastion and I doubt many parents decide to send their kids their because of their rugby program, it appeals to families that value a co-ed environment and a well rounded school.

The school has obviously taken a decision that it’s good for school spirit and engagement to have a strong 1sts team and they spend a lot of time and money to deliver that. The final against Knox a few weeks ago bears that strategy out.

In your mind, they should accept the natural order of things and be content competing at a smaller school level. How dare they try and rise above their station!

The model may not be for you but it works for them and I think is good for rugby in NSW.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Barker is a co-ed school with a small male intake. It is not a traditional rugby bastion and I doubt many parents decide to send their kids their because of their rugby program, it appeals to families that value a co-ed environment and a well rounded school.
I think it is also important to note Barker's rugby program goes beyond the boys. They have had a massive role in establishing a girl's sevens comp in Sydney private schools, and are a powerhouse in women's footy.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)

The school has obviously taken a decision that it’s good for school spirit and engagement to have a strong 1sts team and they spend a lot of time and money to deliver that. The final against Knox a few weeks ago bears that strategy out.

In your mind, they should accept the natural order of things and be content competing at a smaller school level. How dare they try and rise above their station!

The model may not be for you but it works for them and I think is good for rugby in NSW.
Barker has the same number of male students as Joeys.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker had 11 players still in their 1st XV picked in a NSW team (Onitit Finau, Bryn Edwards, Sam Saihyoun, Adam Van Wyk, Will Kennedy, Thomas Livingstone, Lachlan Hooper, Doug Phillipson, Eli Sagala, Jakob Biet, and another boy who tore his ACL before the start of the season), plus one picked in the under 16's and 2 additional players picked in a CAS team with no further representation, plus Isaiya Katoa who didn't get picked but I don't need to elaborate. Quite a few of these boys are homegrown.

Plus, every single one of these scholarship boys improve over their time at Barker, because it is a good footy program, despite not organically receiving the same amount of talent as many of the GPS schools, such as Joeys.

As I have said it's weird that Joeys keeps comparing themselves to Barker. They are completely different. Barker is a co-ed school and Joey is a rugby factory. An all-boys boarding school.
No one at Joeys compares themselves to Barker, believe me.

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)

Over time 18 months and all that improvement.