• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
The Canberra schools already play in a strong, tiered comp mixed together with local clubs and incorporating a number of regional teams as well; south coast, Glouburn etc. It is one of the better balanced comps in the country. I doubt they will change.

CAS / ISA / Sports high schools would be interesting.

This would end up being a superior comp to the GPS.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
13FA82CE-5B05-453B-9516-3A342A20823D.png

Congratulations to the following CAS boys selected in the Aussie Schoolboys side:

Bryn Edwards
Oniti Finau
Doug Phillipson

Lachlan Hooper was injured and hence unavailable for selection which is a real shame for him.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don't think anyone is taking this list serious enough to descend into a real d*** measuring contest. After the top 6, it's like the bloke just picked schools at random from some really strange comps.
I posted this hahaha, definitely not a definitive rankings by any means. Hard to make rankings for the country when no one plays each other besides their own competition so couldn't follow a world rugby style rating system with each team given a number to show how strong they are, more so tried to rank teams based on their win/loss record and points difference giving some consideration to strength of their opposition. For example St Kevins won the VSRU comp undefeated with a 533 point difference, not saying they would beat any CAS or AAGPS team by any means.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I posted this hahaha, definitely not a definitive rankings by any means. Hard to make rankings for the country when no one plays each other besides their own competition so couldn't follow a world rugby style rating system with each team given a number to show how strong they are, more so tried to rank teams based on their win/loss record and points difference giving some consideration to strength of their opposition. For example St Kevins won the VSRU comp undefeated with a 533 point difference, not saying they would beat any CAS or AAGPS team by any means.
Yeah ok fair enough. Well good work.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
View attachment 14819
Congratulations to the following CAS boys selected in the Aussie Schoolboys side:

Bryn Edwards
Oniti Finau
Doug Phillipson

Lachlan Hooper was injured and hence unavailable for selection which is a real shame for him.
Yes well done to Barker for finding these boys.

And well done to their schools which have been previously documented for developing these players before Barker found them. It’s a shame that the schools that developed them can’t recognise their talents as aus u18’s to celebrate the input they had on them.
Eg It would be great to Hills Sports HS to be able to celebrate Onitis achievement, or for Doug(Kinross )and Lachlan(Stannies) for their previous schools as well to celebrate the players success.

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
It was a pretty stacked Barker team. How do they find these kids? They must go out to u16’s rep team games and find them. (Though Phillipson actually made his first XV debut for Kinross in year 9 in a trial game v Barker).

They are making the Waratahs job much easier centralising the talent.

It is interesting how close Knox and Waverley came to beating them though despite the team being as stacked as it is.

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Moving forward how does the competition stay competitive despite these big investments.

For example, Doug, Isaiya, Lachlan and Oniti are all year 12 borders. That’s an investment from the school of $200,000 to win the comp for just year 12 kids. (There is an abc doco on Isaiya that highlights this great opportunity)

Well with the Knox centenary just around the corner we can expect similar investments from them that is for sure.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes well done to Barker for finding these boys.

And well done to their schools which have been previously documented for developing these players before Barker found them. It’s a shame that the schools that developed them can’t recognise their talents as aus u18’s to celebrate the input they had on them.
Eg It would be great to Hills Sports HS to be able to celebrate Onitis achievement, or for Doug(Kinross )and Lachlan(Stannies) for their previous schools as well to celebrate the players success.

They were good players when they got there, they were great when they left.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
It was a pretty stacked Barker team. How do they find these kids? They must go out to u16’s rep team games and find them. (Though Phillipson actually made his first XV debut for Kinross in year 9 in a trial game v Barker).

They are making the Waratahs job much easier centralising the talent.

It is interesting how close Knox and Waverley came to beating them though despite the team being as stacked as it is.

Almost like all three schools do the same thing... not that there is anything wrong with it. Keep complaining. I promise you it doesn't just make you look salty.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Moving forward how does the competition stay competitive despite these big investments.

For example, Doug, Isaiya, Lachlan and Oniti are all year 12 borders. That’s an investment from the school of $200,000 to win the comp for just year 12 kids. (There is an abc doco on Isaiya that highlights this great opportunity)

Well with the Knox centenary just around the corner we can expect similar investments from them that is for sure.

Good. I hope Knox continues to invest money into rugby talent. It's only a positive for all involved.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's always 2 sides to these arguments.

1. You agree with scholarships as they give kids in the outer country or unable to pay the hefty fees of a CAS private school the opportunity to succeed and flourish not only in rugby, but academically as well.

2. You side with a no scholarship rule. This means, provided the right coaching, your son is able to grow their game and it keeps the rugby teams in their grade fluctuating as there is no freak kid coming in and taking his primary position for the rest of his schoolboy rugby career. Everyone gets a fair start.

I see people's point of view from both sides of the argument. Personally I support scholarships as they give kids who would've had no chance of playing at that elite level a pathway to become an incredible player.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
There's always 2 sides to these arguments.

1. You agree with scholarships as they give kids in the outer country or unable to pay the hefty fees of a CAS private school the opportunity to succeed and flourish not only in rugby, but academically as well.

2. You side with a no scholarship rule. This means, provided the right coaching, your son is able to grow their game and it keeps the rugby teams in their grade fluctuating as there is no freak kid coming in and taking his primary position for the rest of his schoolboy rugby career. Everyone gets a fair start.

I see people's point of view from both sides of the argument. Personally I support scholarships as they give kids who would've had no chance of playing at that elite level a pathway to become an incredible player.

If the school needs to import a kid in your son's position, I hate to sound harsh, but it's because your son is not good enough. However, this is not to say that your son will never be good enough. What makes an athlete great is that person can find inspiration through the tough times, not just the easy ones. Look at what Tom Davey (Knox 10 2022) did. Left Barker. He was never good enough to play fly-half for their A team, he put in work and made himself a quality player.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)

Personally I support scholarships as they give kids who would've had no chance of playing at that elite level a pathway to become an incredible player
These arguments don’t really work for the Barker efforts - most of these kids attend a different private school with the same opportunities.

And Katoa would not have had a chance at “playing at that elite level pathway to become an incredible player” without Barker?

I don’t think so.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
They were good players when they got there, they were great when they left.

Hooper was selected in gen blue as a year young

Phillipson was a year 9 first XV player.

Katoa was earmarked from year 6 as the next big thing in rugby league.

Oniti was the top ranked tight head as a 15 year old.

They were already great when they got there - that’s why they went there.

Last edited: