• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
And, by the way, if you think that teams winning 100-0 is an indication of a failed competition, just remember the Barker-Aloysius game a couple of years back. Or the 100-0 scorelines that sent Grammar and High to the 3rd XV competition.

And the Barker game was ended 15 minutes early too...

Thank the lords I have snort to talk some sense.

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Yep and considering most of the other cas schools also use public ovals it’s extremely ignorant.

always had a tough time at Waverley, it was called Death Valley cause A) they smashed most teams and B) it’s in a valley duh
Thanks GS, I think we all agree the 2+2 statement was unfortunate and smacked of the wrong stuff, aside from being naive.
Also unfortunately have had no response.

I also know Scots do as well, not sure about the GPS schools, but who cares!

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
That’s all well and good … But the whole premise of the proposed tier system on this board was one based on promotion / relegation system similar to Premier league .. which is yearly …. That’s what people were promoting here.

Shore has turned there program around in a couple of years … under your plan they could be waiting decades ….

Considering me and Snort have probably been the two guys pushing this tier system most (along with others)... I promise you that wasn't what we were proposing.

Shore has not turned it around. They are still a tier 2 level rugby program. Why are we pretending they've built a dynasty.

No it would not take decades to adjust adequately. You're desperately grasping at straws here. Everything Snort has said is 100% correct.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Not really? joeys last won the head of the river in 2015 and before that in the 70s…. But they’ve come second like a million of times …. That still makes them a competitive side

Let's not compare Joeys rowing to Shore's rugby.... who struggled in alsmot every age group for years and couldn't get a 1sts XV win for like 7 years.... It's disingenuous.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
And the Barker game was ended 15 minutes early too...

Thank the lords I have snort to talk some sense.
Imagine what the score between Barker 15a’s and Joeys 15a’s would be. Blood red or dead I’d guess…. Seriously tier 2. Honestly, get a grip man. Barker does not have a strong or deep rugby program. It

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Imagine what the score between Barker 15a’s and Joeys 15a’s would be. Blood red or dead I’d guess…. Seriously tier 2. Honestly, get a grip man. Barker does not have a strong or deep rugby program. It

I agree Barker would be a tier 2 program in a GPS/CAS/ISA pool.

But an extremely strong 1st XV program (has only lost to Joeys once in the last 8 years I believe?)

You look like an idiot putting words in my mouth.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Considering me and Snort have probably been the two guys pushing this tier system most (along with others)... I promise you that wasn't what we were proposing.

Shore has not turned it around. They are still a tier 2 level rugby program. Why are we pretending they've built a dynasty.

No it would not take decades to adjust adequately. You're desperately grasping at straws here. Everything Snort has said is 100% correct.
It takes one to know one….. Shore are
Progressing pretty well. I reckon they they would win a clear majority of games head to head with barker on any given Saturday. You confuse program (whole of school) with team (1st XV).

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree Barker would be a tier 2 program in a GPS/CAS/ISA pool.

But an extremely strong 1st XV program (has only lost to Joeys once in the last 8 years I believe?)

You look like an idiot putting words in my mouth.
So Barker would have a really dominant 1st XV in a tier 2 comp. Awesome. You miss the point completely and I might look like an idiot but you in fact are one.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
So Barker would have a really dominant 1st XV in a tier 2 comp. Awesome. You miss the point completely and I might look like an idiot but you in fact are one.

What point have I missed... seems like I'm just advocating for a better more even rugby program. Utter shit stirring.

It takes one to know one….. Shore are
Progressing pretty well. I reckon they they would win a clear majority of games head to head with barker on any given Saturday. You confuse program (whole of school) with team (1st XV).

You'd hope so... They have three times the boys.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
This is an interesting solution and here is the problem. A school like Barker has a fine first XV and very thin depth (on average)in every other grade and year. What tier should they be in? Newington 1’s beat Joeys by 2 points last week and there 2’s lost by more than 50. What tier should they be in?

Barker would absolutely be in tier 2.

As would Newington.

Me and Snort have been quite clear that it would be based off of an analysis of the holistic rugby program. Not just the 1sts.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Arguing about which schools would be in which tiers misses the point, with respect. How it would be applied to a particular school at a particular time isn't the issue. And no doubt it would change over time. Schools would move up and down over time. To say it's a bad idea because Shore might be strong again some day is entirely missing the point.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
The point you miss is quite simple.
Barker can’t put up competitive teams for games at any time slot apart from 3.15pm …. You advocate for a tiered system but don’t seem to understand that you wouldn’t fit into the tiers where you expect. The GPS schools are interested in aggregate results over the day. Of course the 1st XV is the pinnacle but it is not the only thing. It probably comes
From the bigger boarding populations and the larger number of country kids but you will never jam the social traditions of the rugby season into a tiered system in order to satisfy the ego of some team put together for the final 2 years of school.

I quite clearly said Barker would be tier 2. Multiple times.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
I think a tier system should consider consider each team within a program on its own merits and not the entire program. For example a school might have a strong 1st XV and 2nd XV could place teams in tier 1 and 2, giving there 2nds the chance to play against 1st XV side which are at a far more similar level then other 2nds teams. Why should the tier system stop at 1st xv and not be multi layered to give every student more opportunities? Yes it’s difficult but is it worth it for a more competitive and enjoyable experience which is the point of school sports

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
SOOOO guys from all 3 associations ( GPS, CAS & ISA), many people have picked their winning GPS teams for this weekend.

Who will win between.. and by how much?

1.Knox v Trinity
2.Barker v Aloys
3.Waves v Cranbrook.

Look forward to talking game time again!

ISA members please post your games here, happy to have a crack given we have played many of your teams.

Choptackle

Herbert Moran (7)
SOOOO guys from all 3 associations ( GPS, CAS & ISA), many people have picked their winning GPS teams for this weekend.

Who will win between.. and by how much?

1.Knox v Trinity
2.Barker v Aloys
3.Waves v Cranbrook.

Look forward to talking game time again!

ISA members please post your games here, happy to have a crack given we have played many of your teams.
ISA games include:
Pats vs Gregs

Augs vs pius

Oakhill vs Stannies

Kinross with the bye week