• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
CAS got it wrong by not picking:
Time for a clean out. Kids are losing potential careers from these poor selections. Something must be done.
Not hard to see where your allegiances lie. But at the end of the day selectors can only pick based on the games played.

It's unfortunate that the CAS is only playing one round this year when GPS are playing two (CAS has played two round comps in the past) and that Knox v Waverley is in term three.

But on the games played, Knox had two big wins, with the forwards being dominant, Waverley one tight and one decent win.

I suspect the selectors also talk to the coaches to rank their teams vs an average 1sts player and past players. Seemingly Dowling (from the Rep game correctly) and Aboud (unfortunately dropped out for Ryan) were the ones pushed.

CAS_Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
That’s a unique take.

Knox have their 3 hardest CAS games next term. Waverley have already played two of their hardest games.

So only the players coaches push- coaches that aren’t part of the selection process- are the ones considered?

So Cranbrook coaches didn’t push Ah-Colt?
And the only reason Aboud was selected was because the Waverley coaches highlighted him?

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That and what the selectors view with their own eyes. Selectors can only select based on what they have seen, feedback from others including their own and opposition coaches, and the results.

The 2nd round counts against you for saying that Waverley has played two hard games.
Knox trounced Trinity. Trinity beat Cranbrook.
Waverley only just beat Cranbrook.

Had Waverley put 30 points on Cranbrook I suspect the selections might have been different.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
And full Waratahs/ Gen Blue squad was a few posts up or here. Schools/ Assn not listed unfortunately

My quick skim (and apologies in advance if I've missed anyone)

Forwards (8 of 22)

Adam VanWyk - Barker - CAS 1
Beau Morrison - Knox - CAS 1
John Ryan - Knox - CAS 1
Kaleb Ah-Colt - Cranbrook - CAS 2
Ned Ericsson - Knox - CAS 1
Sam Niulala - Trinity - CAS 2
Will Goddard - Knox - CAS 1
Will McKinnon - Knox - CAS 1

Backs (4 of 17)

Charlie Poynton - Barker - CAS 1
Hamish McDonald - Barker - CAS 1
Malakye Enasio - Knox - CAS 1
Orly Hatten-Ward - Trinity - CAS 1

Last edited:

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
And full Waratahs/ Gen Blue squad was a few posts up or here. Schools/ Assn not listed unfortunately

My quick skim (and apologies in advance if I've missed anyone)

Forwards (8 of 22)

Adam VanWyk - Barker - CAS 1
Beau Morrison - Knox - CAS 1
John Ryan - Knox - CAS 1
Kaleb Ah-Colt - Cranbrook - CAS 2
Ned Ericsson - Knox - CAS 1
Sam Niulala - Trinity - CAS 2
Will Goddard - Knox - CAS 1
Will McKinnon - Knox - CAS 1

Backs (4 of 17)

Charlie Poynton - Barker - CAS 1
Hamish McDonald - Barker - CAS 1
Malakye Enasio - Knox - CAS 1
Orly Hatten-Ward - Trinity - CAS 1
Thanks
There is also the other lower NSW teams here

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very impressive from Ruben Stock who is in the Waratahs u18 squad and also in the Australia u20 team in South Africa right now.
Really is a young man to watch out for in the future

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 5.53.17 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 5.53.17 pm.png
    286 KB · Views: 279

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I have to admit that I get lost with all the representative teams these days, but most of the CAS players seem to have ended up in one side or another. I'm vaguely nostalgic for the old days of NSW 1sts and NSW 2nds.
Simple times

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Remember when the ABC (courtesy of ABC General Manager and Old Newingtonian Sir Talbot Duckmanton) used to televise the GPS 1sts results on the 7pm Saturday news!

Wouldn’t happen these days I suspect.
One reason why is that you can get that information in real time today. We used to have wait for the Sunday newspaper to see the results.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's gone quiet from the Cranbrook crew here - it's holiday time at Cranbrook, so I guess they're all off on some Greek island or other. If they were around, they may have noticed Josh Kemeny in Eddie Jones' Wallaby squad - the first OC to reach the Wallabies in quite some time (I may be wrong, but I think Ian Williams may have been the last (and he was a late transplant from Epping Boys High).