• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Aloys got up in a very tight one against Grammar, 10-7 at Weigall. 2nds went down but the 3rds and 4ths both won in the Opens.

Fighting narrow losses in the 16As (7-15) and 15As (7-17) but good wins in both the 13As and 14As. So not a bad day out for the Blue and Gold boys in a round where they know they should be competitive. SAC now host Stannies at Willoughby next week. Results weren't too flash out in Bathurst last year, so this will be a good test of whether there's been improvement.
14As was 12-10 to Aloys with Grammar missing a conversion from in front in the last few mins.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know, I know, I bang on about this, but today's results reinforce what I always say about rejigging the Rugby competitions. Knox and Waverley should be in Tier 1 with Riverview and Joeys. St Augustine's and St Pats should be in Tier 2 with Cranbrook and Trinity. And St Aloysius should be in Tier 3 with Grammar. Just imagine - balanced, competitive matches every week!

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hmm. if you're dominant, you don't lose 5-12, do you?

Hearing that Trinity drew 17-17 with St Pats (although, of course, they were dominant in doing so).

Big results for Knox and Barker today - well done.
Hey mate,
Cranbrook were dominant, although execution was not there, whereas Auggies had great execution with their back plays.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know, I know, I bang on about this, but today's results reinforce what I always say about rejigging the Rugby competitions. Knox and Waverley should be in Tier 1 with Riverview and Joeys. St Augustine's and St Pats should be in Tier 2 with Cranbrook and Trinity. And St Aloysius should be in Tier 3 with Grammar. Just imagine - balanced, competitive matches every week!
Impossible to disagree.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Barker were without their first choice no 8 and 9 today apparently. Their substitutes played well. From View's perspective their 7 was very strong over the ball drawing a number of penalties while the View 10 had a strong game. Good kick and has no fear taking on the advantage line. Both hookers did very well at lineout time considering the shite conditions. Both sides struggled with getting their lifts right despite throws that looked good. I thought Barker played into Views hand a bit given they spread the ball wide at every opportunity when playing tight and using their bigger forwards may have been a better pay. Bottom line is both of these sides are very competitive and will be a handful for the best sides in both competitions.
Nice write up.

I thought Barkers 3,5,8,12,15 all had a strong impact on the game. For View 7 and 15 were my best. Bet the 10 wishes he could get the first 2 kickoffs back. Set Barker up for a fast start. As a View supporter I was happy to see them stay in it through to the end when after that beast of a maul try it looked like it could have been one way traffic.

Also have to say I though the Refs in 1sts, 2nds & 3rds did a good job which can often be a blight

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Nice write up.

I thought Barkers 3,5,8,12,15 all had a strong impact on the game. For View 7 and 15 were my best. Bet the 10 wishes he could get the first 2 kickoffs back. Set Barker up for a fast start. As a View supporter I was happy to see them stay in it through to the end when after that beast of a maul try it looked like it could have been one way traffic.

Also have to say I though the Refs in 1sts, 2nds & 3rds did a good job which can often be a blight
Good summation and yes the first two kick offs not going the 10 were not ideal for View. I did like the game the View 10 played. composed and not afraid to take on the line. Both sides defense was excellent, but that 22m rolling maul by Barker leading to the first try really set the tone for the game. That said Barker did not play to their strengths in my opinion. Given the conditions, both sides passing game was good with View being the more dangerous ball in hand. Neither side looked to me to have a real standout out player, but also neither side had any distinct weakness which will bode well for both teams as the season progresses.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Good summation and yes the first two kick offs not going the 10 were not ideal for View. I did like the game the View 10 played. composed and not afraid to take on the line. Both sides defense was excellent, but that 22m rolling maul by Barker leading to the first try really set the tone for the game. That said Barker did not play to their strengths in my opinion. Given the conditions, both sides passing game was good with View being the more dangerous ball in hand. Neither side looked to me to have a real standout out player, but also neither side had any distinct weakness which will bode well for both teams as the season progresses.
Barker had the same issue last year in their 1st gps game against Scot’s . Playing right into Scot’s strengths but we’re quick to bounce back the next week. I’m sure Dean will revise their game plan

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So how do we read the tea leaves after Saturday?

I know, "they're only trials", so it's hard to be too definitive. In particular, Joeys are notorious for playing experimental combinations in trials, so while a win over Joeys is always enjoyable and never easy, it may not be quite as meaningful as it might seem (I remember the year when Tane Edmed's Trinity side beat Joeys and went on to win only one of five Associated Schools games). Even so, it was a good result for Knox. Barker also look as though they're title contenders again.

Waverley's game is harder to assess. They had players out, and maybe Newington is under-rated, but if I were a Waverley supporter I'd be a bit concerned. It's rare for Waverley to cop a heavy defeat in a trial, even against GPS opposition. And the results also suggest that there's not all that much between Trinity and Cranbrook, who have both now gone down to St Augustine's by similar margins.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)

I know, "they're only trials", so it's hard to be too definitive. In particular, Joeys are notorious for playing experimental combinations in trials, so while a win over Joeys is always enjoyable and never easy, it may not be quite as meaningful as it might seem (I remember the year when Tane Edmed's Trinity side beat Joeys and went on to win only one of five Associated Schools games). Even so, it was a good result for Knox. Barker also look as though they're title contenders again.

Waverley's game is harder to assess. They had players out, and maybe Newington is under-rated, but if I were a Waverley supporter I'd be a bit concerned. It's rare for Waverley to cop a heavy defeat in a trial, even against GPS opposition. And the results also suggest that there's not all that much between Trinity and Cranbrook, who have both now gone down to St Augustine's by similar margins.
I agree, not a lot to go by.

What was the result Trinity v Augs?

Moey

Frank Row (1)
12-5 Augs at full time. Cranbrook were dominant, but ultimately wet weather conditions were their true opposition and therefore weren’t able to execute. Auggies backline was electric and their 15 was untouchable.
Cranbrook showed a lot of promise during the game. However, the weather didn't suit their style of rugby, lacking a final product. Standouts for cranbrook were 3 (Ah-Colt), 4 (Girle) and 6 (Mackenzie).

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cranbrook showed a lot of promise during the game. However, the weather didn't suit their style of rugby, lacking a final product. Standouts for cranbrook were 3 (Ah-Colt), 4 (Girle) and 6 (Mackenzie).
Agreed. I think (1) Rouse, (2) Smith), (8) Jackson, (13) Tovio, (15) Crowther all played great too. I think the forwards in general had a good game and these two backs were standouts compared to the rest.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)

Hi Snort!

I watched the New v Waves game last sat, a few observations.

1. Newington well deserved to win, they are a polished side and very fit. Whilst early days, I think they will definitely be a threat in the GPS comp.

2. Waves did have 2 key forwards and 2 key backs out, the backline had a number of year 11 boys in fly half and the centres, the Newington backline was terrific and won that battle. The Waves forwards dominated the 1st 10-15 mins and could easily have scored a couple of tries but didn't and Newington snagged a great backline try almost against the run of play. A few of the Waves forwards were clearly not match fit, as they did not go on the Japan tour and as the game progressed the New forwards came into their own.

3. We will see if the boys missing last week join the team this week v View, and if so, I would expect a far stronger performance.
Given that View only lost by a couple of tries v a strong Barker side last weekend then I think it's safe to assume View will be hard to beat at
View this Sat.

All will be revealed after this Thursdays training.

Also, unlike last Sat, the weather forecast is excellent so it should allow all schools to show their full potential.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lots of use of the word "dominate" in these pages. And, when it's used to describe a 73-7 victory, it's entirely appropriate. However, too often it's used to mean "had a lot of possession and territory but couldn't score". I was watching Sydney University v Randwick on Saturday, and for the whole of the first twenty minutes University was camped in Randwick's 22, had all the ball, and the score remained 0-0. Was Sydney University "dominant"? Or was the Randwick defence "dominant"? - after all, with all that ball and territory, the students couldn't scrape a point (they made up for it later). Not that I expect it to change anything, but I really don't think you can say you "dominated" if you didn't outscore the other side.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Lots of use of the word "dominate" in these pages. And, when it's used to describe a 73-7 victory, it's entirely appropriate. However, too often it's used to mean "had a lot of possession and territory but couldn't score". I was watching Sydney University v Randwick on Saturday, and for the whole of the first twenty minutes University was camped in Randwick's 22, had all the ball, and the score remained 0-0. Was Sydney University "dominant"? Or was the Randwick defence "dominant"? - after all, with all that ball and territory, the students couldn't scrape a point (they made up for it later). Not that I expect it to change anything, but I really don't think you can say you "dominated" if you didn't outscore the other side.
You are indeed a lawyer!

If you approach the bench the distinction to be made here is that this is just footy talk, and in most cases here, dominant means territorial and ball retention dominance. Yes probably no/minimal points were scored but put simply, 1 side looked better than the other for a period!

Eagerly await the defense!

Last edited: