• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Knox at home will be favourites. They are clearly fit . dominating the second half of both trials against GPS sides.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Knox beat Shore 40-24. Riverview beat Waverley 38-19, according to the GPS thread.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Very quiet from WLF…
Hi Snort, just got home from Riverview.

The better side won no doubt. Waves had lots of new boys in today, 6 out of the 1sts, but at this stage can't see them challenging Knox or Barker.
Very disappointing. Can't see View Challenging Kings, New etc, but again, there is a long way to go.

Happy to see Trinity ,Cranbrook and Aloys win today!
It was CAS day today, with 1 exception.

RugbyTID

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi Snort, just got home from Riverview.

The better side won no doubt. Waves had lots of new boys in today, 6 out of the 1sts, but at this stage can't see them challenging Knox or Barker.
Very disappointing. Can't see View Challenging Kings, New etc, but again, there is a long way to go.

Happy to see Trinity ,Cranbrook and Aloys win today!
It was CAS day today, with 1 exception.
I don't believe we should be writing Waverley off yet. Yes they have had 2 losses, but todays game 2 extremely lucky tries to Riverview and 2 dissalowed tries to Waverley which were tries. This wouldve made the score 26-34 (if both kicks were converted) to Waverley. That is with 6 boys out who all played 1stXV last year. They are missing their key players and still playing good. Once these boys are back theres going to be a ripple effect through the rest of the teams. Plus with the experience of these new players it gives them so much depth. Compared to Barker who's 2nds get pumped every week.

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Sounds like a great weekend of footy from all CAS teams, especially big wins for Barker and Knox. Should be interesting as we approach the season.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
WLF3,

How did Waves 13-16a go?
16a’s were belted. But the best players were playing firsts and seconds to deal with injuries up there.

They were missing Finegan, Brody, Little, Godby, McKenna, Ballard and Falaniko who were all in the opens except ballard who was injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: 777

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't believe we should be writing Waverley off yet. Yes they have had 2 losses, but todays game 2 extremely lucky tries to Riverview and 2 dissalowed tries to Waverley which were tries. This wouldve made the score 26-34 (if both kicks were converted) to Waverley. That is with 6 boys out who all played 1stXV last year. They are missing their key players and still playing good. Once these boys are back theres going to be a ripple effect through the rest of the teams. Plus with the experience of these new players it gives them so much depth. Compared to Barker who's 2nds get pumped every week.
Aboud, Dowling, Sinclair Harris and Johnson(who made a half game return in twos today) all back next week.
The week after is Tofaeono and Morshead-Fidel.

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cranbrook win 17-5. Cranbrook would have hoped to get more out of this game then they did. A even game, despite being a man down for less then a half, they still managed to come out victorious. Standout players from Cranbrook were, (3) Ah-Colt, (4) Girle and (6) Mackenzie.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So I think today just underscored what we already knew. Barker and Knox look the two strongest sides. The jury's out on Waverley, who look a touch off the pace, though who knows what they'll be like when back closer to full strength. Cranbrook look a touch stronger than Trinity, who look a touch stronger than St Aloysius.

There's no real point saying who's "favourites" at this stage. We're a month away from the start of the competition rounds. Form can change and injuries can disrupt teams. I can't guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow, never mind who might win a Rugby match in five weeks.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
So I think today just underscored what we already knew. Barker and Knox look the two strongest sides. The jury's out on Waverley, who look a touch off the pace, though who knows what they'll be like when back closer to full strength. Cranbrook look a touch stronger than Trinity, who look a touch stronger than St Aloysius.

There's no real point saying who's "favourites" at this stage. We're a month away from the start of the competition rounds. Form can change and injuries can disrupt teams. I can't guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow, never mind who might win a Rugby match in five weeks.
Can’t count off waves they’ll always bounce back strong and counting them out only motivates them

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Stannies did get up with a try on the last play of the game. But Aloys had their chances and squandered them. They were up 10-nil early and coasting it seemed. SSC had all the ball in the second half, big forward runners through the centre of the field and not much shifting in the backs, but any possession Aloys had was wasted with errant kicking, the penalties not finding touch cruelling their chances in particular. Stannies tight five were great. Aloys #3, #5 and #13 their biggest threats. If they can get their kicking right, they should threaten Pius next week.

Lower age groups were all Stannies way, but generally quite tight, other than the Aloys 15As who had a massive win, with SSC sending their Bs in that age group.

50cent

Frank Row (1)
Barker 16as beat Newington 16as 13-12. Their 16as look to have a good team this year following a very close loss to riverview

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
RugbyTid seems like a fair few excuses for a Waverley team that is yet to muster a win