• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Since the 2023 CAS season is a couple weeks out. What is the predicted ladder for the competition. Personally, my prediction is as follows.

1. Cranbrook (In my opinion, they are the dark horses of CAS rugby, after a strong 2nd XV season I think they'll cause a massive upset this year!)
2. Knox (A top team like always, think they'll fall short despite the quality they have)
3. Barker (Barker lost some of their best players last year, but still have so much young, and potential players on the side)
4. Waverly (Waverly have a similar side to last years 1st XV, but unfortunately its not enough to compete with the other schools)
5. Trinity (I predict that the youth team they are assembling with thrive in the next few years. however, they still need that X-factor in this years team)
6. St Aloysius (I hate putting my former school this low, but sadly they just lack quality and will finish last again)

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Since the 2023 CAS season is a couple weeks out. What is the predicted ladder for the competition. Personally, my prediction is as follows.

1. Cranbrook (In my opinion, they are the dark horses of CAS rugby, after a strong 2nd XV season I think they'll cause a massive upset this year!)
2. Knox (A top team like always, think they'll fall short despite the quality they have)
3. Barker (Barker lost some of their best players last year, but still have so much young, and potential players on the side)
4. Waverly (Waverly have a similar side to last years 1st XV, but unfortunately its not enough to compete with the other schools)
5. Trinity (I predict that the youth team they are assembling with thrive in the next few years. however, they still need that X-factor in this years team)
6. St Aloysius (I hate putting my former school this low, but sadly they just lack quality and will finish last again)
Disagree. Let's be realistic. First of all welcome to the forums...
Cranbrook at best will finish 3rd. Putting Knox 2nd and saying "they will fall short despite the quality they have..." is this a pisstake? The quality they have is much greater than most teams are shown this season. Barker still have a lot of great players and lots of quality within their side. Waverly have lost almost half their team, and only have a few players from last year... I agree with the last two.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
A few forced changes due to injury in the Barker line up. Nick Hill (3) and Matt Hanley (8 & Capt) are out.

Attachments

• Rugby Players 13 May.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 370

Silver Back

Bob McCowan (2)
Have you been able to get ahold of the Pats team list?
You won't see a published Team List for Pats until at the game tomorrow. Pats have one injury change to the back line from last week, although the most prominent four backs from last years Firsts are all in. Pats forwards are injury hit, two big forwards already out for the season (they have missed last two games anyway) and there is still shuffling in the tight five to accommodate injury.

Phil Miller

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know how Aloys are shaping up this week, heard they are missing some key players.
I have this too but from what i saw last week against stannies and from what i have heard about the pius trinity game, i think aloys will come out on top. To be honest I am excited for this game, from what i have heard both camps are ready to go fight for the Ross Fagan Shield, yes Pius beat Aloys last time they met, after Aloys vs Stannies i have to with the boys from Milsons point, there determination the whole game allowed them to come back in the dying minutes and tie the game up, although they lost it was the best aloys performance i had seen in a while. Meanwhile Pius showed some great determination and grit against Trinity, which in my opinion are worse than the boys from Aloys, but never the less they put a great game together. Aloys by 12+

Mils out

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
This weekend should give us a good insight into how Knox, Barker, and Cranbrook will go up against each other this year. If Barker and Knox have close games with Pats and Augs then we can expect a very tight CAS competition. Throw Waverley in the mix and we have a 4 way race in my opinion.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
This weekend should give us a good insight into how Knox, Barker, and Cranbrook will go up against each other this year. If Barker and Knox have close games with Pats and Augs then we can expect a very tight CAS competition. Throw Waverley in the mix and we have a 4 way race in my opinion.
To be honest, we haven’t really had a good look at how Cranbrook will fair. First game was against an alright Auggies side which they lost to. Struggled to beat a mediocre Pats side who have 3 notable players. This weekend is against a sub-par Kinross team; so realistically we won’t have an idea how Brook will fair. One of the disappointing things with Cranbrook is that each year trials are against relatively poor sides, therefore making it difficult for them to acclimatise quickly against strong opposition in the CAS. They’re a side with lots of potential, but we need to see them against strong and competitive opposition

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
This Sat the Waves have additional injuries from last weekends game v View, ie a 1sts prop and a key winger, to add to their list of 6 1sts players previously injured, none are back this weekend.. In addition, both 2nds props are also out v Oakhill, it's the worst list I have ever seen.

Fair to say it's an excuse but you take more than half a 1sts side out of any team, and it is what it is. This also then has a cascading effect into the 2nds and 3rds and 16as all of whom have lost quite a number of key players, ie only the better players get pushed up.

Trouble is if/when these players do return they will have little/no match fitness before the Comp starts, so it will be pretty tough to see the Waves being really competitive this year, but you never know.

Oakhill will most certainly not ease off as a result, and you wouldn't expect them to, but it's hard to see the Waves winning much tomorrow, except for their younger age groups, 13s -15s, who are pretty strong, but Oakhill is also usually strong in these younger ages . Interesting battles ahead!
A long way to go and hopefully ALL teams get to full strength before their respective comps!

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
To be honest, we haven’t really had a good look at how Cranbrook will fair. First game was against an alright Auggies side which they lost to. Struggled to beat a mediocre Pats side who have 3 notable players. This weekend is against a sub-par Kinross team; so realistically we won’t have an idea how Brook will fair. One of the disappointing things with Cranbrook is that each year trials are against relatively poor sides, therefore making it difficult for them to acclimatise quickly against strong opposition in the CAS. They’re a side with lots of potential, but we need to see them against strong and competitive opposition
Agreed, was disappointing that they couldn’t play Kings as originally intended for their 1st round of trials, would be good to see a higher quality batch of trials if they look to put a stamp on CAS. However, I hear they do play Oakhill in the Term 2 holidays after the first 2 rounds of CAS which will be an interesting fixture.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The boosting of Cranbrook is nice, I guess - good to see people supporting their schools. But it's also weirdly unrealistic. In the last couple of games, they've lost to St Augustine's (I know, I know, they were still "dominant") and muddled to a win over St Pat's. That doesn't mean they're a poor team. But it's not anywhere near comparable to what Barker and Knox and Waverley have been doing, which is matching it with GPS sides. They should put Kinross away convincingly today, but that's hardly potent opposition and no-one should fool themselves into thinking that beating Kinross means you're going to beat Knox or Barker.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
This Sat the Waves have additional injuries from last weekends game v View, ie a 1sts prop and a key winger, to add to their list of 6 1sts players previously injured, none are back this weekend.. In addition, both 2nds props are also out v Oakhill, it's the worst list I have ever seen.

Fair to say it's an excuse but you take more than half a 1sts side out of any team, and it is what it is. This also then has a cascading effect into the 2nds and 3rds and 16as all of whom have lost quite a number of key players, ie only the better players get pushed up.

Trouble is if/when these players do return they will have little/no match fitness before the Comp starts, so it will be pretty tough to see the Waves being really competitive this year, but you never know.

Oakhill will most certainly not ease off as a result, and you wouldn't expect them to, but it's hard to see the Waves winning much tomorrow, except for their younger age groups, 13s -15s, who are pretty strong, but Oakhill is also usually strong in these younger ages . Interesting battles ahead!
A long way to go and hopefully ALL teams get to full strength before their respective comps!
WLF, why so many injuries? Is it just coincidence and bad luck, or does it say something about preparation and conditioning?

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree with some of those statement. I feel as watching the games live, Cranbrook could have beat Auggies by a greater affair… same scenario with pats too. Coming from a spectator stand point I do not think the refs have been great this season, not just for cranbrook but for the other side too. I agree with the last statements and hope to see Cranbrook with better urgency, communication and less knock ons, and maybe this weekend we can see them in full effect.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
WLF, why so many injuries? Is it just coincidence and bad luck, or does it say something about preparation and conditioning?
Snort, Mostly bad luck but there was a trip to Japan, which was great, but the 1s and 2s played 4 games in 2 weeks and some injuries happened then. However more have also been incurred in the last 2 weeks. Nothing else has changed, eg same terrific coaches as the last 6-8 years and same preseason training.

I know that most of us Wave fans have never seen this level before, and the major trouble is that nearly half of them, 8, are 1st XV players which has the terrible cascading effect of debilitating the lower Opens teams and the 16as.

Last week View beat our 16as 38-19. I am very confident had we had 4 boys, who ended up playing 1s, and 2 injured 16a boys playing then the result would be quite different. Under normal circumstances this team is extremely strong.

We haven't seen anything like our strongest 1s,2s,3s and 16as yet this season.

Hopefully all will resolve itself in time for the CAS, and same applies to all other schools, so we see everyone at MAX strength.