• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I know waves has always had strong depth and it’s no different this year but with all these injuries is it getting to the point where people who shouldn’t be playing 1st are getting the opportunity? Almost becoming dangerous having these boys play 1st XV
Agree H,

Today the 16as had 7 out, 2 through injury 5 playing the top grades, so the 16as got thumped which under normal circumstances would not happen.
Our 1sts had it's hooker playing prop, and it's flanker playing hooker with1 genuine 1s prop, the other is injured, the 2 props in the 2nds were also both out.

You are spot on re the dangers of playing boys up who aren't suitable for the 1s, that's why the team had to move some boys around into different positions, as they are 1s players, but it is just not the same.

Hopefully next week, the Waves will get a few 1sts back which will help all teams.
Today they lost by 1 penalty goal with 10 mins to go (right in front I might add!).

Bring on the next few weeks!

Bob McCowan (2)
24-21 Oakhill over Waverly. Looks like not all the CAS sides getting up today. Genuinely absurd regarding the injury numbers.
That's a solid effort from the Waves, considering the amount of talent that's unavailable due to injury.

Also, got to give Oakhill some credit. That's a solid rugby program that they are developing over there.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
Takeaways from the Cranbrook Game:

Standouts were Noah Jackson (8), Cam McKenzie (6), Jack Rose (5) and the 2, not too sure what his name is. Jackson is an excellent player, I think he has CAS 1 locked in, same as McKenzie.

There were too many errors and loose passes, but the forward back look dominant and so does the defence. I think there may need to be a few changes in the backline as it doesnt look fluid. The centre combo is great. I think maybe a change at full back is needed, as the kid playing 15 made a few too many mistakes and miss tackles leading to tries, but he does have an excellent kicking game. I thought the 14 was good, but 11 shoudlnt be a winger, I think he should be put to 10 or 15 as he looks to be an excellent playmaker. Does anyone know why they stuck him on the wing?

The kid who came on in the last few minutes at wing is a big boy, surprised he’s not in the 1s, as the backline could use the size. The kid at 7 is undersized but his work rate makes up for that; he’s got good ball handling, is a work horse and make every tackle. Apparently, Rose (5) is filling in for injury; unless the kid who’s injured is an amazing player, I don’t see how he can be dropped. Excellent tackler and excellent over the ball.

That pretty much sums everything up. Good side, with enough size in the forward pack. The backs are shaky though. See them coming 3rd or 4th (most likely 3rd over Waverly) but if the backs sort it out, they could push Barker for 2nd

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
FT. Cranbrook wins 47-12 against Kinross.

My MOTM definitely went to MacKenzie (6) who scored 5 tries for his team. Key take from this game is that Cranbrook need themselves a goalkicker! Allen (10), Crowther (15), and MacKenzie (6) were the teams alternating goal kickers for the game, and together, they missed 8 total conversions which is a bit embarrassing if you want to compete for the CAS title. Though, this was a much better Cranbrook side compared to the one that ran out against St Pats, I think the team is starting to gel together. The CAS 2023 competition should be a very entertaining season with the likes of Barker, Knox, Waverly and Cranbrook (no disrespect to Trinity or St Aloysius).

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)

Standouts were Noah Jackson (8), Cam McKenzie (6), Jack Rose (5) and the 2, not too sure what his name is. Jackson is an excellent player, I think he has CAS 1 locked in, same as McKenzie.

There were too many errors and loose passes, but the forward back look dominant and so does the defence. I think there may need to be a few changes in the backline as it doesnt look fluid. The centre combo is great. I think maybe a change at full back is needed, as the kid playing 15 made a few too many mistakes and miss tackles leading to tries, but he does have an excellent kicking game. I thought the 14 was good, but 11 shoudlnt be a winger, I think he should be put to 10 or 15 as he looks to be an excellent playmaker. Does anyone know why they stuck him on the wing?

The kid who came on in the last few minutes at wing is a big boy, surprised he’s not in the 1s, as the backline could use the size. The kid at 7 is undersized but his work rate makes up for that; he’s got good ball handling, is a work horse and make every tackle. Apparently, Rose (5) is filling in for injury; unless the kid who’s injured is an amazing player, I don’t see how he can be dropped. Excellent tackler and excellent over the ball.

That pretty much sums everything up. Good side, with enough size in the forward pack. The backs are shaky though. See them coming 3rd or 4th (most likely 3rd over Waverly) but if the backs sort it out, they could push Barker for 2nd
Names are:

(2)Jed Smith, (11) Dylan Melvey, (15) Oliver Crowther, (14) Oscar Wilson, (7) Daniel O'Reagan, The player who came on in the last minutes is Dylan Roach (20, I believe), who previously played for the ones in the 2022 and 2021 season but just recently got dropped from the 1st team.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)

RR, Certainly looks like Cranbrook will push hard to win this years CAS.

Their strong performances so far, and quality players named by megarugbyman makes it clear that Brook should be in with a real chance of lots of CAS reps, and therefore a massive chance to win this year CAS comp.

With only 2 weekends left of Trials, Cranbrook will take on the Waves at Death Valley in Round 1, and after that win, Cranbrook will be well placed to take on all comers for the end of season CAS comp.

Whilst it hurts to say so, could well be true!

P.S. As an astute analyst Snort I know you understand this balanced viewpoint!

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
26-13 Knox over St Augustine’s at a very wet and muddy Rat Park. Knox always looked in control but it was an average game of rugby influenced heavily by conditions. Augustine’s played hard rugby and competed well for the full game. Knox couldn’t really get going with poor handling stifling momentum

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
FT. Cranbrook wins 47-12 against Kinross.

My MOTM definitely went to MacKenzie (6) who scored 5 tries for his team. Key take from this game is that Cranbrook need themselves a goalkicker! Allen (10), Crowther (15), and MacKenzie (6) were the teams alternating goal kickers for the game, and together, they missed 8 total conversions which is a bit embarrassing if you want to compete for the CAS title. Though, this was a much better Cranbrook side compared to the one that ran out against St Pats, I think the team is starting to gel together. The CAS 2023 competition should be a very entertaining season with the likes of Barker, Knox, Waverly and Cranbrook (no disrespect to Trinity or St Aloysius).
I believe Cranbrook’s goal kicker Stefan Ferster was out with a red card from last week but usually is very consistent

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook clearly has a decent side this year. But if anyone wants to back them to win the Shield this year, I will cheerfully separate you from your money. I do agree that if Waverley remains depleted then Cranbrook can push hard for third.
The trouble with making predictions this year is that we don’t know what sort of side Waverley will be able to field.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Cranbrook clearly has a decent side this year. But if anyone wants to back them to win the Shield this year, I will cheerfully separate you from your money. I do agree that if Waverley remains depleted then Cranbrook can push hard for third.
The trouble with making predictions this year is that we don’t know what sort of side Waverley will be able to field.
It’s hard to judge cranbrook since they didn’t play a gps school in any trial games.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Absolutely agree. I tend to believe they will work it out, especially given some of these injuries are temporary. However, this is not a definite. For example, in 2019 we saw a very talented Waverley team not be able to work it out (injuries were a part of this, as well as severe attitude problems among many of there boys so I have been told). I don't remember how they went against Knox and Trinity, but I remember them losing to Barker, Cranbrook and even Aloys. Don't be surprised if Waverley slip to 4th this year. I wouldn't imagine them slipping any further though.

Phil Miller

Frank Row (1)
This may be controversial but i see aloys coming top 3 for CAS this year, they have shown over the past 2 weeks that when they get things right they look amazing and they are hard to stop. Thoughts?

Mils Out

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thing is, we now have some comparable results that help us assess where the schools stand. Cranbrook lost to St Augustine's; Knox beat St Augustine's relatively comfortably: it's hard to see that this makes Cranbrook a better side than Knox. Cranbrook beat St Patrick's 17-5; Barker beat them 36-14. It's hard to see how this makes Cranbrook a better side than Barker. Knox and Barker have had very tough trials against GPS opponents, during which they had some significant wins: Cranbrook had a soft outing against Kinross.

Same goes for St Aloysius. A 26-25 win over St Pius is great, but Trinity beat St Pius 17-12 after leading 17-0 with a few minutes to go, so that result doesn't make St Aloysius an obviously better side than Trinity, let alone Waverley and Cranbrook.

It's nice to say, "my school can win" or "my school can come third" but back it up with some facts!

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I believe Barker are playing Nudgee this weekend. I think it is 1st XV only and that other games are against Pius inlcuding Barker 2nds v Pius 1st.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
At this point of the season, here are my CAS predictions.

1. Knox (look to be a quality side. Beat a injury-ridden joeys team, but that is still no small feat)

2. Barker (comfortable beat Auggies with a few key players out)

3. Cranbrook (This is a tough call to make. I belive at full strength Waverly will be Brook in round 1, BUT it seems like boys will only just be coming back from injury and therefore not have many games under there belt against a brook side with no notable injuries)

4. Waverly (could easily see them finishing 3rd)

5. Trinity (should beat alloys, but can’t see them beating the rest)

6. Alloys (it’s hard for them to beat the other with no imports; you’ve got to feel for their head of rugby. It’s not a very appealing job)

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thing is, we now have some comparable results that help us assess where the schools stand. Cranbrook lost to St Augustine's; Knox beat St Augustine's relatively comfortably: it's hard to see that this makes Cranbrook a better side than Knox. Cranbrook beat St Patrick's 17-5; Barker beat them 36-14. It's hard to see how this makes Cranbrook a better side than Barker. Knox and Barker have had very tough trials against GPS opponents, during which they had some significant wins: Cranbrook had a soft outing against Kinross.

Same goes for St Aloysius. A 26-25 win over St Pius is great, but Trinity beat St Pius 17-12 after leading 17-0 with a few minutes to go, so that result doesn't make St Aloysius an obviously better side than Trinity, let alone Waverley and Cranbrook.

It's nice to say, "my school can win" or "my school can come third" but back it up with some facts!
Agreed. Knox and Barker continuously challenge their 1st teams by putting them against quality GPS sides, whilst Cranbrook are struggling against ISA teams and are put against Kinross. There isn't really a chance to show quality when a side verses Kinross so oftenly.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
At this point of the season, here are my CAS predictions.

1. Knox (look to be a quality side. Beat a injury-ridden joeys team, but that is still no small feat)

2. Barker (comfortable beat Auggies with a few key players out)

3. Cranbrook (This is a tough call to make. I belive at full strength Waverly will be Brook in round 1, BUT it seems like boys will only just be coming back from injury and therefore not have many games under there belt against a brook side with no notable injuries)

4. Waverly (could easily see them finishing 3rd)

5. Trinity (should beat alloys, but can’t see them beating the rest)

6. Alloys (it’s hard for them to beat the other with no imports; you’ve got to feel for their head of rugby. It’s not a very appealing job)
RR it's difficult to argue with your logic. I'd say that it looks as though the Knox-Barker game will decide the competition.

But... there are three buts.

The first is that we just don't know what Waverley will be like. At this stage, what you say looks reasonable, but if they get close to full strength, who knows?

The second is, how do you know Cranbrook will have no injury issues in Round 1? There are still two week to go. Stuff happens.

And the third is that the five-round competition has a bit of a sudden-death aspect to it. So it's not impossible that a highly-ranked team loses to a low-ranked team, causing (very entertaining) chaos and perhaps a shared title. There were an awful lot of shared titles in the five-round competition in the past.

Last edited: