• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Shots On

Bob McCowan (2)
I’ve got to say, Cranbrook had a quality second half against Stannies yesterday, after a first half which left a lot to be desired. The number 6 was a standout, with a complete performance across the park. Scored the game clinching try and a host of crunching tackles. If he keeps playing like this, one would have to assume he’d be featured in one of the CAS outfits. Consistent performances from him will be key if Cranbrook want to challenge for the CAS title.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
I’ve got to say, Cranbrook had a quality second half against Stannies yesterday, after a first half which left a lot to be desired. The number 6 was a standout, with a complete performance across the park. Scored the game clinching try and a host of crunching tackles. If he keeps playing like this, one would have to assume he’d be featured in one of the CAS outfits. Consistent performances from him will be key if Cranbrook want to challenge for the CAS title.
Wasn't able to make it out too Bathurst due to my sisters wedding clashing, but i believe Tom Girle, the captain on the day, was playing at 6. He is a player renowned for always putting his body on the line and his best foot forward each week.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
I think there’s a few boys in the running for CAS 1 for brook.

Mckenzie (6), Jackson (8), Girle (5), Ah-Colt (3), Allen (10, but I think he’s better at 15) and if Tovio (13) lifts his game just a bit then he could be in the running.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
I think there’s a few boys in the running for CAS 1 for brook.

Mckenzie (6), Jackson (8), Girle (5), Ah-Colt (3), Allen (10, but I think he’s better at 15) and if Tovio (13) lifts his game just a bit then he could be in the running.
Realistically I believe there will be 2-3 who make the CAS 1 given the strength of Knox and Barker. Also Waverly will have a couple players and Trinity’s 9 could definitely be a shout.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
This year is going to be a tight competition, but I believe Knox or Barker will come out victors. I think this is a weak year for CAS rugby, as the GPS teams look a bit stronger. However, this should be a great season of footy. Good luck to all players and teams!

rugbyGandG

Bob McCowan (2)
While still only in the trial games for the 2023 CAS season, Cranbrook have proven themselves as competitors for this years prem. Cranbrook presented a striking showcase of ticker in the second half of their game against St Stannies in Bathurst this weekend after starting the second half down 19-5 and leaving victorious with a close 24-19 win. Stand out players included Cameron Mckenzie who creates many opportunities a game and is always within 5 meters of the ball and Tom Girle with his amazing tackling showcase and try scoring ability, arguably being the reason for Cranbrooks win. Both players are great competitors for CAS 1. With star players Kaleb Ahcolt, Jaxson Allen and Noah Jackson returning from injury in the coming weeks, we will see a great competition in Cranbrooks opening draw against Waverly fueled by schoolboy rivalry. As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see how Cranbrook performs against stronger sides such as Knox and Barker.

Without a doubt the four main competitors this year are Knox, Barker, Waverly and Cranbrook

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Although Cranbrook have potential. Given they scraped through for a narrow win against stannies who had 60 put on them by Scot’s, it doesn’t really seem as though they’re as close to knox, barker and waves as it’s being suggested
Agreed. Stannies only beat Grammar by 3 points last week. The missing players for Cranbrook will need to make a big difference.

CASrules

Frank Row (1)
Agreed. Stannies only beat Grammar by 3 points last week. The missing players for Cranbrook will need to make a big difference.
Yes, I understand why you think that. However, the refereeing standards throughout the firsts and seconds games need to be reviewed with the refs becoming a 16th man for Stannies. So many terrible decisions making the game even, from yellow cards for saying 'offside sir' to disallowed tries when anyone with two eyes could see it was grounded and many more very questionable decisions. Cranbrook in the seconds had a dominant display which was dampened by the refereeing, however the first half of the ones game was a bit shaky but the second half was all brook and could've been a larger margin if it wasn't for many questionable decisions throughout throughout the entirety of the match.

RUCKS R US

Frank Nicholson (4)
So many terrible decisions making the game even, from yellow cards for saying 'offside sir'
You either have incredible hearing or you're a Cranbrook player. Schoolboys ruin the forum!

A few questionable decisions are the price away teams have to pay when playing rural teams with referees that are local to the area (sticking it to the city slickers). However, congrats to brook sounds like a great comeback.

Shots On

Bob McCowan (2)
You either have incredible hearing or you're a Cranbrook player. Schoolboys ruin the forum!

A few questionable decisions are the price away teams have to pay when playing rural teams with referees that are local to the area (sticking it to the city slickers). However, congrats to brook sounds like a great comeback.
Agreed. Can always tell who the schoolboys are….

baked beans

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone have any predictions for the 2nd XV competition, I believe that Waverley could be favourites having only just lost to Newington whom barker got thrashed by. Waverley 2nds also beat St Augustines 19-0 on the weekend, I heard from one of the students that St Augustines 2nds beat Cranbrook and Knox but just wandering if someone could confirm as this could be false.

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone have any predictions for the 2nd XV competition, I believe that Waverley could be favourites having only just lost to Newington whom barker got thrashed by. Waverley 2nds also beat St Augustines 19-0 on the weekend, I heard from one of the students that St Augustines 2nds beat Cranbrook and Knox but just wandering if someone could confirm as this could be false.
Auggies did beat the Cranbrook 2nd XV's. This Waverly 2nd XV is looking like a very strong side from what I have heard.

Last edited:

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes, those results are true making the Waverley 2nd XV sound like a heavyweight going into the season. I have heard that they have some really good players such as their hooker Angus Sullivan and 2nd rower Thomas Johnson.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Auggies did beat the Knox and Cranbrook 2nd XV's. This Waverly 2nd XV is looking like a very strong side from what I have heard.
I thought Knox 2nds actually beat St Augs - 3 tries to 1 or 2 to 1.
Though the conditions were such that it was a weird game. But from what i saw, Knox were the better side by a bit.

Famed_Star

Peter Burge (5)
Well down to Augustine’s. They would have been a strong team before the pillaging had taken place of all their firsts players.

Last edited:

rugbyGandG

Bob McCowan (2)
With Cranbrook bearing a full team against Augustine’s, this Friday night will be a great test to see how Cranbrook will perform for the remaining games of the season..