• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
G'day gents,

Anyone got the fixtures for this upcoming Saturday the 27th?

Should be interesting to see how Barker plays, have seemed very beatable through the first couple of rounds of play, with players out through through injury etc should be interesting to see how they build chemistry as a unit leading into CAS.

Waverly seems to be building having had a couple of good players coming back from injury, don't seem like world-beaters but I think will be very strong coming into CAS.

Knox looks strong at the moment, deservedly the favourites to win CAS.

Cranbrook, Trinity and Aloys, as much as we like to speculate, will make out the rest, with Cranbrook slightly above the bottom 2.

Thanks for your time,
Handswilldoit out.

rugbyGandG

Bob McCowan (2)
G'day gents,

Anyone got the fixtures for this upcoming Saturday the 27th?

Should be interesting to see how Barker plays, have seemed very beatable through the first couple of rounds of play, with players out through through injury etc should be interesting to see how they build chemistry as a unit leading into CAS.

Waverly seems to be building having had a couple of good players coming back from injury, don't seem like world-beaters but I think will be very strong coming into CAS.

Knox looks strong at the moment, deservedly the favourites to win CAS.

Cranbrook, Trinity and Aloys, as much as we like to speculate, will make out the rest, with Cranbrook slightly above the bottom 2.

Thanks for your time,
Handswilldoit out.
Spot on.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
According to the CAS website, this weekend:

Waverley plays St Gregory's: that should be a fairly comfortable win for Waverley.
Knox plays St Patrick's: a big win for Knox.
Barker plays St Stanislaus: a big win for Barker.
Trinity plays Oakhill: a comfortable win for Oakhill.
Kinross Wollaroi plays St Aloysius: a comfortable win for Kinross.
Cranbrook plays St Augustine's: pretty even, Cranbrook might edge this one.

Despite the irrational boosting of Cranbrook on this forum, preseason form suggests Knox and Barker will play off for the title, with Waverley an upset away from a three-way shared title. Cranbrook a strong fourth, Trinity and St Aloysius playing off to avoid the wooden spoon.

But... the sudden-death nature of the five round competition means that one unexpected result can throw that all into chaos.

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
According to the CAS website, this weekend:

Waverley plays St Gregory's: that should be a fairly comfortable win for Waverley.
Barker plays St Stanislaus: a big win for Barker.
Will be good for those two teams to get some more consistent minutes together, winning always helps as well!

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well you judgement is questionable. Nudgee were never going to do a number on Barker. 4 tries a piece was a fair reflection of the game. Conversions and penalties the difference. Nudgee though deserved to win having dominated the scrum. Injuries have hit Barker with 2 key forwards out. Barker is building its depth and yes it does not have the history of a school like Nudgee. But GPS schools in Qld have all been acquiring talent across all age groups for many years. Barker is quietly doing the same. Lots of year 10 boys pulling on the Red jumper for the first time which will build depth.
I can 100% guarantee that as a parent of a Nudgee child who was in Sydney on Saturday we do offer scholarships even kids in yr7/8 are being provided with "financial assistance" to attend the college, however this is the norm in Qld. However there wouldn't be 1 kid in that team on Saturday on aa completely free ride.
We might get our academic fees waived and pay for boarding or our NRL club we are signed with "helps" financially. A classic example of how the system works up here is The Southport School, these fellas couldnt win a chook raffle from 12 - 16 years but the minute we hit 1stXV level they are a top 3 team year in year out.

Very impressed with the Barker 15 & 9, hopefully we can see some interstate match ups between different schools in the coming years, looking forward to welcoming you to Ross Oval next year.

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
But... the sudden-death nature of the five round competition means that one unexpected result can throw that all into chaos.
Very true... end of the day its schoolboy rugby and anything can happen... would love to see a big upset this year... perhaps Waverly on Barker? (calling it early)

Tom Johnston

Frank Row (1)
Yes, those results are true making the Waverley 2nd XV sound like a heavyweight going into the season. I have heard that they have some really good players such as their hooker Angus Sullivan and 2nd rower Thomas Johnson.
I have heard this as well and have heard up and coming scrum-half Hugo Schneider who has been playing outstanding footy at the moment.
But I have also heard that Tom J has ringworm at the moment so I hope he can clear that up.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I can 100% guarantee that as a parent of a Nudgee child who was in Sydney on Saturday we do offer scholarships even kids in yr7/8 are being provided with "financial assistance" to attend the college, however this is the norm in Qld. However there wouldn't be 1 kid in that team on Saturday on aa completely free ride.
We might get our academic fees waived and pay for boarding or our NRL club we are signed with "helps" financially. A classic example of how the system works up here is The Southport School, these fellas couldnt win a chook raffle from 12 - 16 years but the minute we hit 1stXV level they are a top 3 team year in year out.

Very impressed with the Barker 15 & 9, hopefully we can see some interstate match ups between different schools in the coming years, looking forward to welcoming you to Ross Oval next year.
There is certainly momentum within Barker to have this Barker v Nudgee as a permanent fixture in the calendar. Nudgee were deserved winners on the weekend, although Barker were missing 2 crucial players which would have evened out the scrum dominance Nudgee had. The Nudgee backs also looked more composed in my eye. Barker lost their Capt and outside centre (MacDonald) before halftime which hurt. So Barkers effort to hold Nudgee to 5 points difference was a credit to them. The upside for Barker is a number of 16A and 2nds players all got decent minutes which will help them as the CAS rounds approach.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The upside for Barker is a number of 16A and 2nds players all got decent minutes which will help them as the CAS rounds approach.
Yes... I know it was a trial but by the end of the game both teams looked like a bingo card: the numbers went something like 1, 36, 18, 4, 27...

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Waves 38
St Augs 24

The 10 for St Augs is unreal. I have no idea of his name but he has everything - vision, speed, and a bullet-like pass. Without him, St Augs would not have scored much today. Their fullback has a crack though.

As for the Waves, they'd be happy. They're a solid team but don't seem to have an x-factor type player that can tear the game wide open. But I've only watched them play today and the first half against Newington.
777, Here's an interesting bit of info re this Waves 1st team.

Given the injuries we have had, it's been impossible to see just how strong they are.

This team has a number back from last years 1s and 2s, and throughout the age groups (not that it means everything in the opens but it does mean they are capable), the boys in year 11 and 12 have never lost a CAS game. There are also a few boys from the 16as last year, who won the CAS, and they are extremely talented boys.

I thought, all things being equal, they could win this years CAS comp.
All things being equal, and at full strength, I still think they will!

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
777, Here's an interesting bit of info re this Waves 1st team.

Given the injuries we have had, it's been impossible to see just how strong they are.

This team has a number back from last years 1s and 2s, and throughout the age groups (not that it means everything in the opens but it does mean they are capable), the boys in year 11 and 12 have never lost a CAS game. There are also a few boys from the 16as last year, who won the CAS, and they are extremely talented boys.

I thought, all things being equal, they could win this years CAS comp.
All things being equal, and at full strength, I still think they will!
They lost a few CAS games last year?

Makes a difference when the cattle changes as significantly as it does in older years in the CAS comp these days.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
They lost a few CAS games last year?

Makes a difference when the cattle changes as significantly as it does in older years in the CAS comp these days.
RR, I was referring to when they were in their age groups, all the way through, not last year when they were in year 1 of their 1st year in the Opens.

Yep, it goes without saying what a difference a few KEY players make, and they had too many KEY players out.

It's now about gaining match fitness and no more injuries thanks.

If all these stars align, can't wait to meet Cranbrook at Death Valley in round 1. :p

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Cranbrook taking on St Augustines under the lights of Easts rugby club this Friday, with the two schools playing each other some 4 weeks ago in a close affair with Cranbrook losing 12-7. Should be a very good game with hopefully many Cranbrook boys in attendance and I believe a few reunions occurring 2008/2013/2018 so a little bit of extra pressure to perform on the boys in white, Needing to gain a bit of confidence after a slight victory against Stannies, for the first round of CAS coming up against the College Of Knowledge in a star studded Eastern Suburbs derby.

Thatguy7

Frank Row (1)
Hey, guys new to Forum here but have been watching the CAS comp for a while and have been impressed with the talent across the comp. There are some great players coming through like Cameron Mackenzie from Cranbrook, the fullback from barker (Don't know his name), and Felix Turinui from Waverely. Would love to see these boys in professional rugby in the coming years.