• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Nick Hill from barker would have to be somewhere in there played a massive roll in the last years 16s gen blue side
After today, I just want to have input that Ah-Colt must be there instead of Nick. He is almost the best tight head I have seen playing. Nick is still great- but Ah-Colt is a different level. Nick will have next year too.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Final Waverley Vs Barker Scores:

13A - Waverley 65-5
13B - Waverley 95-0
14A - Waverley 29-7
14B - Waverley 20-19
14C - Waverley 59-14
15A - Waverley 58-8
15B - Waverley 74-0
16A - Barker 13-5
16B - Waverley 26-22
4th XV - Barker 21-17
3rd XV - Waverley 38-0
2nd XV - Waverley 38-0
1st XV - Waverley 29-17

In summary, the results aren't unexpected... Only 4 close games and 2 wins to Barker.

Unfortunately, I fear for the future of Barker Rugby.

On another note, Waverley have only lost 5 CAS games in total so far. 3 against Cranbrook and now 2 vs Barker.

Would be good if we can get a similar table for Cranbrook Vs Trinity and Knox Vs Aloys
A solid day. Well done to teachers McCoy and Drew-Morris leading the Waverley program to such a strong day.

Last edited:

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
This draw makes it tough for the selectors given Knox have had two blowout games.
And how does Knox only get one home game in a 15-game season?

Based purely on scores to date you'd probably have to rank the teams K, W, T, C, B, A.

What have the teams got planned over the longish break?

Agree Death Valley Game on the 22nd looks like it might be the game.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
For about five minutes Cranbrook had the possession and most of the territory. Then Hatton Ward took a quick tap penalty and ran 40m to score under the posts. It looked like a quick opportunist try against the run of play. But then Trinity started to get some ball. The year 10 prop broke tackles and made good yards as did 8 (I think) Nuilala. Hatton Ward converted two more tries, one from the touch line, for 21-0. Cranbrook played a pretty unimaginative game, and defaulted to giving the ball to AhColt. He got through a ton of work but Trinity defended tenaciously and he never actually broke the line (although he certainly bent it).

The second half was a different story. Cranbrook had almost all the ball and almost all the game was played in Trinity's half. A try in the corner made it 21-5. A try in the opposite corner, well converted, made it 21-12. AhColt rumbled over from very short range, close to the posts: 21-19. But after that Trinity got their hands on just enough ball to get some territory. Cranbrook tried to run from deep and knocked on. From the scrum, the ball was punted into touch, and that was it.

In the end, the difference was that Trinity were relentless in defence, missing almost no one-on-one tackles, while Cranbrook were pretty one-dimensional in attack. Still, a good quality, entertaining game. Best for Trinity were 3, 8 and 9 - for Cranbrook, 3.

No program at Cranbrook, so I don't know many names. The CAS website says that Ah Colt, Lance Tovio and Stefan Ferster scored for Cranbrook, with Ferseter converting twice. Also, for some reason, the scoreboard clock wasn't in use for the 1st V game, although it was used for the seconds. Odd.

I saw the two CAS selectors leaving just as the game ended. They can't, on today's form, pick Patterson ahead of Hatton-Ward for the 9 spot. AhColt can't have done his chances any harm, and Nuilala gave himself every chance of being in the squad somewhere.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I suppose the question has to be asked. Why did Knox let the score blow out like that? Is that really fair to St Aloysius and the CAS? It could have been managed better?
This is the third time in seven years Knox has scored more than 80 against St Aloysius, Last year was 89-7.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
This is the third time in seven years Knox has scored more than 80 against St Aloysius, Last year was 89-7.
I remember times when aloys would give them a tough time. Especially at willoughby.
they played a style of rugby that frustrated Knox.
Like Waverley- random ad hoc style they struggled when there was no structure

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Well it is pretty clear now that Knox are the team to beat.

Surprised, and happy for Trinity (and Snort), that Trinity won today.
Can't believe on their opening of the new Horden ground that there was no program!

Not sure why Knox need to rub their oppositions noses in it, Barker have done the same in the past.

Fair to say that the in the next round, Knox v the Waves game will be packed, and it's at our fav ground! DV.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

Can't believe on their opening of the new Horden ground that there was no program!

Not sure why Knox need to rub their oppositions noses in it, Barker have done the same in the past.

Fair to say that the in the next round, the Knox v Waves game will be packed, and it's at our fav ground! DV.
Massive win to Waverley today. You'd have to say the Knox v Waverley game will be the decider.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)

Fair to say that the in the next round, Knox v the Waves game will be packed, and it's at our fav ground! DV.
I don’t think Knox was rubbing the noses.
the team at the end was almost the 2nds.
but I agree not a bad look

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
a reliable source has informed me of 5 St Aloysius players selected for CAS teams
Noah Wicks 2nd XV
Myles Duncan 2nd XV
Luca Ponsonby Shadows
Joe Harkin Shadows
Harry Wood Shadows

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Knox - 11 (8 in firsts/3 in seconds)

Barker - 8 (4 in firsts/4 in seconds)

Waverley - 8 (2 in firsts/4 in seconds/2 reserves)

Cranbrook - 5 (1 in seconds/4 reserves)

Trinity - 3 (1 in firsts/1 seconds/1 reserve)

Aloys - 2(1 reserve)

8 from Knox firsts in CAS 1sts is a big call - they are undefeated though - so well done Knox.

Waverley boys well represented. I’m not sure what else Jonti M-F needed to do today.

I’m not sure how ah-Colt isn’t higher.

And the same mistake as last year. An u16’s player in the 1sts.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
I know Cranbrook have had a rubbish game today losing to trinity and their season is effectively over. But I think this is a major injustice having Kaleb Ah-Colt on the bench in the CAS 2s this is a player that has shown his class to a major extent I understand the Knox front row being strong but too see him not starting in the CAS 2s shows poor political selection choices that has plagued CAS for years.