• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I know Cranbrook have had a rubbish game today losing to trinity and their season is effectively over. But I think this is a major injustice having Kaleb Ah-Colt on the bench in the CAS 2s this is a player that has shown his class to a major extent I understand the Knox front row being strong but too see him not starting in the CAS 2s shows poor political selection choices that has plagued CAS for years.
Yeah just a weird one for me. Almost beat Waverley carrying the team on his back. Kid is class. The cream will rise to the top eventually.

BlackBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
Knox - 11 (8 in firsts/3 in seconds)

Barker - 8 (4 in firsts/4 in seconds)

Waverley - 8 (2 in firsts/4 in seconds/2 reserves)

Cranbrook - 5 (1 in seconds/4 reserves)

Trinity - 3 (1 in firsts/1 seconds/1 reserve)

Aloys - 2(1 reserve)

8 from Knox firsts in CAS 1sts is a big call - they are undefeated though - so well done Knox.

Waverley boys well represented. I’m not sure what else Jonti M-F needed to do today.

I’m not sure how ah-Colt isn’t higher.

And the same mistake as last year. An u16’s player in the
2 u16’s Dene and Caswell

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Well politics at it's absolute best!

The Cranbrook prop Ah Colt was an absolute must, we seem to get the front row wrong every year, but really hope I am wrong this year.
Having watched todays Waves V barker game, the Waves had enough opportunities to win by more, in the last 10 mins they pushed the Barker pack off the ball several times, clearly dominant at the end.

I am surprised that this "finally" fully strength and unbeaten CAS team, having beaten 2 of the fancied CAS schools, remember barker beat Riverview and Newington, even got 2 players in the CAS 1sts team! BUT congratulations to all our CAS boys best of luck trust we will prevail!

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jonas Dowling has played nothing. Ever. Didn’t make CAS last year.
That’s because Waverley help develop their players. Rather than just picking up the next 5 best players from gen blue u15’s and claiming they run a good program.

A real credit to Waverley that they developed a kid like Jonas into a NSW level hooker.

Last edited:

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Far out. I just can’t agree with the u16’s kids unless they are going to be wallabies. It’s a bad selection. Lets them go the u16’s pathway.
They will end up there eventually with NSW. CAS selectors are just on a different planet. Literally the only GPS kid to make it as an u16 is Joseph Sualli. So unless they are that good.. they shouldn’t be there. It’s not fair to the kids.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final Waverley Vs Barker Scores:

13A - Waverley 65-5
13B - Waverley 95-0
14A - Waverley 29-7
14B - Waverley 20-19
14C - Waverley 59-14
15A - Waverley 58-8
15B - Waverley 74-0
16A - Barker 13-5
16B - Waverley 26-22
4th XV - Barker 21-17
3rd XV - Waverley 38-0
2nd XV - Waverley 38-0
1st XV - Waverley 29-17

In summary, the results aren't unexpected... Only 4 close games and 2 wins to Barker.

Unfortunately, I fear for the future of Barker Rugby.

On another note, Waverley have only lost 5 CAS games in total so far. 3 against Cranbrook and now 2 vs Barker.

Would be good if we can get a similar table for Cranbrook Vs Trinity and Knox Vs Aloys

A ruthless day of rugby by Waverley. Well done.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congrats to the 5 Aloys boys picked in the CAS teams. Especially the two powerhouse year 11s in the shadows, who will be the pillars for the SAC team next year.

Just for an indication that either hope spring eternal or perhaps that the end is not nigh, although Aloys lost all (but one) games today v Knox, it got worse as the age groups went up in age. Aloys' best team remains their 13As who got yet another win today, 14-7 v Knox. If the assumption was that all things remained equal and those boys continued to compete against the same kids through the next 5 years, then it could be interesting. You all know what they say about assumptions however.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well politics at it's absolute best!

The Cranbrook prop Ah Colt was an absolute must, we seem to get the front row wrong every year, but really hope I am wrong this year.
Having watched todays Waves V barker game, the Waves had enough opportunities to win by more, in the last 10 mins they pushed the Barker pack off the ball several times, clearly dominant at the end.

I am surprised that this "finally" fully strength and unbeaten CAS team, having beaten 2 of the fancied CAS schools, remember barker beat Riverview and Newington, even got 2 players in the CAS 1sts team! BUT congratulations to all our CAS boys best of luck trust we will prevail!
WLF, it does seem odd that Waverley beat Barker pretty convincingly yet Barker had twice as many in CAS 1sts. But apart from Ah Colt, are there other players you think should have been in the 1sts? I have to say, I haven't seen Knox yet but their record this year seems to justify a pretty healthy representation in the CAS sides.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Felix Turinui and Caleb Sinclair-Harris both brilliant five eights robbed of not being picked, not to discredit Dene but he just isn't ready for that level of rugby, I'm sure he would do great in the u16's but Turinui and S-H should've had that spot. Pule and Ah Colt also done dirty by not being picked higher.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
WLF, it does seem odd that Waverley beat Barker pretty convincingly yet Barker had twice as many in CAS 1sts. But apart from Ah Colt, are there other players you think should have been in the 1sts? I have to say, I haven't seen Knox yet but their record this year seems to justify a pretty healthy representation in the CAS sides.
Snort, over the years I have been quite scarce in actually naming boys for obvious reasons from any school other than in a positive manor.
They are still boys just trying their hardest for their special school.

I haven't seen Knox yet either, and I suspect they are extremely good based on results (which once again should be the basis of selections), same as my argument about this Waves side. How Kye Pule (prop) and Sinclair Harris (really a 10) didn't make it is beyond me, both played 1sts last year and were instrumental in putting Barker away today. Also based on your appraisal of the Trinity 8 Luilala (I think) and the Waves 8 Teafano (2nd year in 1sts and very dominant today), I can't for the life of me see how both missed out in any team!

Long story short, the selectors IMO are extremely poor.

Whilst I tend to underplay the chances of the Waves team this year, you would expect Knox to trounce us at Death Valley next game given the apparent selection strength of Knox in the CAS 1s.

First things first, GO THE CAS TEAMS AND ALL THE BOYS FROM ALL SCHOOLS!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, over the years I have been quite scarce in actually naming boys for obvious reasons from any school other than in a positive manor.
They are still boys just trying their hardest for their special school.

I haven't seen Knox yet either, and I suspect they are extremely good based on results (which once again should be the basis of selections), same as my argument about this Waves side. How Kye Pule (prop) and Sinclair Harris (really a 10) didn't make it is beyond me, both played 1sts last year and were instrumental in putting Barker away today. Also based on your appraisal of the Trinity 8 Luilala (I think) and the Waves 8 Teafano (2nd year in 1sts and very dominant today), I can't for the life of me see how both missed out in any team!

Long story short, the selectors IMO are extremely poor.

Whilst I tend to underplay the chances of the Waves team this year, you would expect Knox to trounce us at Death Valley next game given the apparent selection strength of Knox in the CAS 1s.

First things first, GO THE CAS TEAMS AND ALL THE BOYS FROM ALL SCHOOLS!
Niulala did make it, though out of position - second row in the 2nd XV.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ah-Colt being on the bench for the 2nds side is absolutely outrageous. I am very far from being a Cranbrook supporter, but that kid is incredible. The amount of runs he takes and the sheer effort and grit he puts into every game are unmatched by any other prop I've seen in the competition this far. Honestly thought he could be up there being the best prop in the state. Very unfortunate.