• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox 16A,B&C won….
you missed 4th XV ... but thats alot to celebrate when you win 4 from 17

score in 13A was something like 100-0 - with Waverley being told to take the foot off the gas at half time and then to the point where front rowers having shots at drop goal in the 2nd half.

under 13's aggregate scores from 3 games - Waverley 225-5
under 14's aggregate scores from 4 games - Waverley 219 - 35
under 15's aggregate scores from 3 games - Waverley 74 - 37
under 16's aggregate scores from 3 games - Knox 74 - 24
opens aggregate scores from 4 games - Waverley 62 - 36

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

score in 13A was something like 100-0 - with Waverley being told to take the foot off the gas at half time and then to the point where front rowers having shots at drop goal in the 2nd half.

How gracious you are Ziggy.

You've made your point. Move on.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
It sounds like today they put a Barker players dad at touch to help over turn a game deciding decision. That won their firsts the game.
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).

In my opinion, this is not acceptable for a match of such high calibre. Surely this says something about the consistency of CAS rugby, this is a first XV game that is being co-reffed by dads and associates of the home school…

You don’t need an earpiece to understand this.

It gets worse. I actually read in my book of excuses that the other touch judge was Headmaster Phillip Heath. And they actually brought back Rev Henry Plume from the dead to ref the game... Grrrr Barker. Look. This isn't the place for delusional conspiracy theories when your team loses. Move on.

Congrats Waverley. I imagine CAS teams, and the forum's predictions would have looked very different if they weren't plagued with injury from the beginning.

There is far too much focus on the CAS selections being wrong. We've known that the teams are selected far too early in the season since they moved the representative games forward from the end of the season. Since they have done this, players have always been picked based on a pre-medidated reputation, and not their actual form on the season. I promise you, this isn't an anti-Waverely/Cranbrook agenda. It was simply just a struggling Waverley team (due to injuries) in the pre-season, leading to Waves being under-represented. Is this fair? Does this lead to the correction selections? No. But that's how it will always be until they change it.

I guess the theme of this post is stop beating the dead horse.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is far too much focus on the CAS selections being wrong. We've known that the teams are selected far too early in the season since they moved the representative games forward from the end of the season. Since they have done this, players have always been picked based on a pre-medidated reputation, and not their actual form on the season. I promise you, this isn't an anti-Waverely/Cranbrook agenda. It was simply just a struggling Waverley team (due to injuries) in the pre-season, leading to Waves being under-represented. Is this fair? Does this lead to the correction selections? No. But that's how it will always be until they change it.

I guess the theme of this post is stop beating the dead horse.
This is true.

Also this: I remember one year at school when the 1sts were pushing for the premiership. There was a player who the coaches needed to play in a particular position so that the best fifteen players could be fitted into the team. He thought that playing in another position would enhance his prospects of CAS selection. One of the coaches told him, "If you play CAS, no one will remember it. But if we win the premiership, everyone will remember that."

I think Waverley will remember this season.

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)

This post doesn't make you look as good as you think it does.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Your right red or dead..

You have been so humble and gracious over the last few years in regards to Barker, it’s good to hold those standards high.

I think I have been very fair across my time on this forum.

Defended Knox as the second best team in Aus against the Joeys faithful last year, said I thought they were the best team this year etc.

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
I think I have been very fair across my time on this forum.

Defended Knox as the second best team in Aus against the Joeys faithful last year, said I thought they were the best team this year etc.
To be fair I don't think RorD has ever mocked the performance of another school's under 13 cohort.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be fair I don't think RorD has ever mocked the performance of another school's under 13 cohort.
Take it as you want but you guys missed the underlying point.

I’m not mocking the performance of 13s. I actually felt very sorry for those kids.

I was using that as an example that Knox think they are so great at rugby and the 2nd best rugby school etc. but there is a significant lack of effort being put into the grassroots rugby as evidenced in the results though the age groups.

Winning 1 age group from 5 with only 4 wins from 17 games, that should be of concern heading into the future.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Take it as you want but you guys missed the underlying point.

I’m not mocking the performance of 13s. I actually felt very sorry for those kids.

I was using that as an example that Knox think they are so great at rugby and the 2nd best rugby school etc. but there is a significant lack of effort being put into the grassroots rugby as evidenced in the results though the age groups.

Winning 1 age group from 5 with only 4 wins from 17 games, that should be of concern heading into the future.
Ziggy, to be fair there are a few deeper rooted reasons that contribute to all this, and I hope this all comes across in the right manor.

Firstly other sports are obviously taking Rugby numbers, in all schools, Joeys might be the exception.

Secondly, every year across all age groups and all CAS schools, the Waves win 80%+ of all CAS games.
It is a number reflected by our Convenor of Rugby at our end of season presentation night every year.
Since 1943, when the Waves joined the CAS, the school has won twice as many championships as its nearest rival.

From my experience over the last 10 years, having had 2 boys attend, our younger age groups eg 13-16s often go undefeated, same as the junior school.
Even when we play the GPS schools we win well over 50% of all games, Joeys (when we play them) View and Oakhill are the only schools were it is a fair dinkum ding dong in every age, which is a shame.

So Knox, like Barker etc have nearly always lost most games v Waves over many years.

It needs to be pointed out that Rugby is in the Waverley DNA, Joeys is the obvious GPS comparison, BUT we don't win much else in the summer or winter sports, sometimes the soccer ( like this year).
Knox and Trinity typically dominate many other sports, and Cranbrook are unrivaled in Cricket at the moment. So Rugby is our gig!

I think everyone would agree that Rugby generally is at a cross roads, and the gap between the schools who seriously want to have a strong Rugby program, and the rest, is probably getting wider.

I am confident that Snort, who was a very talented Trinity competitor of mine :cool:, will probably reaffirm all of this!

Bob McCowan (2)

I have to admit, as a Waves old-boy, I don't take much enjoyment from seeing the results above. Back-in-the-day, the Knox fixture was always pencilled in as being one of the biggest games of the season for us. Whether it was under 10s to opens, the games were always hard but fair, but if you could beat Knox, then you knew you had a good season.

So, when I see the results of the above games, I find it rather discouraging. For the betterment of school footy, I'd much prefer to see the overall aggregate much closer. After all, it's only school footy. At the end of the day, when you see you results like this, it feels like the CAS days are numbered. Especially, now with Barker being fully co-ed and Cranbrook going the same route in 26. And, with AFL now tightening their grip within these schools and more kids turning to it, it's fair to say that the glory days of CAS rugby have probably come to an end.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I have to admit, as a Waves old-boy, I don't take much enjoyment from seeing the results above. Back-in-the-day, the Knox fixture was always pencilled in as being one of the biggest games of the season for us. Whether it was under 10s to opens, the games were always hard but fair, but if you could beat Knox, then you knew you had a good season.

So, when I see the results of the above games, I find it rather discouraging. For the betterment of school footy, I'd much prefer to see the overall aggregate much closer. After all, it's only school footy. At the end of the day, when you see you results like this, it feels like the CAS days are numbered. Especially, now with Barker being fully co-ed and Cranbrook going the same route in 26. And, with AFL now tightening their grip within these schools and more kids turning to it, it's fair to say that the glory days of CAS rugby have probably come to an end.
777, I am also an old boy but think you will find that the glory days of Rugby won't ever come to an end, as there will always be a hard core of boys and parents who are rugby focused. There may be fewer teams but always a core of boys who luv and are suited to rugby.
Can't speak for 100 years time, but for now, think so.

I do agree that the lack of competitive school depth is a real worry, I know that winning against a tough opposition is a much greater feeling than a 50 nil win.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ziggy, to be fair there are a few deeper rooted reasons that contribute to all this, and I hope this all comes across in the right manor.

Firstly other sports are obviously taking Rugby numbers, in all schools, Joeys might be the exception.

Secondly, every year across all age groups and all CAS schools, the Waves win 80%+ of all CAS games.
It is a number reflected by our Convenor of Rugby at our end of season presentation night every year.
Since 1943, when the Waves joined the CAS, the school has won twice as many championships as its nearest rival.

From my experience over the last 10 years, having had 2 boys attend, our younger age groups eg 13-16s often go undefeated, same as the junior school.
Even when we play the GPS schools we win well over 50% of all games, Joeys (when we play them) View and Oakhill are the only schools were it is a fair dinkum ding dong in every age, which is a shame.

So Knox, like Barker etc have nearly always lost most games v Waves over many years.

It needs to be pointed out that Rugby is in the Waverley DNA, Joeys is the obvious GPS comparison, BUT we don't win much else in the summer or winter sports, sometimes the soccer ( like this year).
Knox and Trinity typically dominate many other sports, and Cranbrook are unrivaled in Cricket at the moment. So Rugby is our gig!

I think everyone would agree that Rugby generally is at a cross roads, and the gap between the schools who seriously want to have a strong Rugby program, and the rest, is probably getting wider.

I am confident that Snort, who was a very talented Trinity competitor of mine :cool:, will probably reaffirm all of this!

All true, WLF.

What has changed in recent years is the extent of the mismatches through the age groups.

My thoughts on this are too well known, but for the good of the game we really do need new competitions. This season Trinity has conceded 50 points to Waverley and then put 47 points on St Aloysius. In a six-team competition, you can't afford discrepancies like that.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
All true, WLF.

What has changed in recent years is the extent of the mismatches through the age groups.

My thoughts on this are too well known, but for the good of the game we really do need new competitions. This season Trinity has conceded 50 points to Waverley and then put 47 points on St Aloysius. In a six-team competition, you can't afford discrepancies like that.
Think you are ahead of yourself Snort, Trinity hasn't played Waves yet.
Agree with all you just, and have previously said, but probably won't happen in the near future.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
All true, WLF.

Hence merge ISA and CAS but we've already been around this merry-go-round once before. Would work perfectly with a 2 tier competition and would create much more captivating games throughout both tiers. An Aloys vs bottom ISA teams would be close every year and Aloys may perhaps be very competitive in this tier which will naturally attract more rugby players. It blows my mind how this has not happened or even been talked out between both associations before. We know GPS will take much longer to consider joining, so why not take a step in the right direction?

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Hence merge ISA and CAS but we've already been around this merry-go-round once before. Would work perfectly with a 2 tier competition and would create much more captivating games throughout both tiers. An Aloys vs bottom ISA teams would be close every year and Aloys may perhaps be very competitive in this tier which will naturally attract more rugby players. It blows my mind how this has not happened or even been talked out between both associations before. We know GPS will take much longer to consider joining, so why not take a step in the right direction?
Couldn't agree more Jack,

I would think the Waves would be more than happy to improve the competition with the addition of more stronger competition.
BUT what I mean by that is NOT just the 1stXV because most schools can muster a reasonable 1st XV team with their best players in their school BUT it's as much about the younger age groups.

What also needs to be clear is the logistics of all this for the school sports masters ( for just 1 sport), and the fact that such a change may only be suitable to Rugby, so what is the new rugby comp called, and are people happy to depart from the historical comp.

It sounds easy for all us "experts" to call a shot, in reality it is much more complex, and do the schools involved want to be bothered, have the staff resources to be able make it all happen smoothly, and do they want to!

Given todays world and the multitude of other curriculum activities on offer, sad to say , as the Woke ideology grows, think not!

I have just registered my name at school to take part in a compulsory activity, to make sure I have ticked the box as required by my school, that my summer AND winter sport is an Umpire for the emerging and challenging sport of Monopoly!

P.S. Tip always buy Mayfair .

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).
In my opinion, this is not acceptable for a match of such high calibre. Surely this says something about the consistency of CAS rugby, this is a first XV game that is being co-reffed by dads and associates of the home school…

You don’t need an earpiece to understand this.
you can actually see in the Hudl the barker 2 is the first person to go to his own dad and ask him to talk to the referee.

BarkerFan420

Frank Row (1)

you can actually see in the Hudl the barker 2 is the first person to go to his own dad and ask him to talk to the referee.
Why are you on the Hudl?!? You must be a student at cranbrook?

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)

Same old Barker.